Start by marking “The Settlement Cook Book: Treasured Recipes of Seven Decades: The Famous All-Purpose Cook Book for Beginner and Expert: The Way to a Man's Heart” as Want to Read:

A classic cookbook filled with all kinds of advice for the new wife or home maker as well as classic American recipes from yesteryear.
Published August 1st 1976 by Simon & Schuster (first published 1903)

Start your review of The Settlement Cook Book: Treasured Recipes of Seven Decades: The Famous All-Purpose Cook Book for Beginner and Expert: The Way to a Man's Heart
Helen
Dec 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just received this treasure from my father-in-law. It was a gift to his new bride from his sisters, inscribed 1955. This is an amazing book, a historical document, almost, an archeological dig of a book, matter-of-factly discussing the confusion new Jewish immigrants from Eastern Europe experienced when confronted by the stunning array of foods available to them here in the US.

The Settlement Cookbook began its life as a cookbook for new Jewish immigrants, featuring many familiar homey
Jim
This, the 1976 HB edition, is the finest I've seen. It's not a fancy cookbook. It covers all aspects of cooking with excellent references such as a meat chart showing where various cuts come from, conversion charts for liquid & dry measures & weights, even how to plan for parties & how to set the table depending on the company. It covers the basics of cooking & has a lot of simple recipes that are tasty & easy to make, so it is good for beginners & a standard reference ...more
Mike (the Paladin)
Apr 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
Thought I add this old, beaten up, falling apart cookbook (with the page for basic biscuits missing, having been torn out at some time in the past.) It is a copy from the 70s of a book that was compiled in 1901 by Lizzie Black Kander. She had set out to help young German Jewish girls adapt to American culture in 1896. She decided that rather than everybody having to copy recipes so often, a book of recipes would be good. The "cook book" has continued to be up dated regularly ever since.

This is a
Jim
Oct 27, 2008 rated it it was ok
Be careful with editions if you purchase this. The 1903 version was reprinted & seems popular on Ebay - it is a thin paperback without a lot of recipes & NO TEMPERATURES since it was written for wood stove cooking. It's interesting & generally inexpensive, but not much help.

You want the 1973 edition I reviewed here:
Lesley
Feb 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I grew up with this cook book. My mother used it daily. After she passed away in May of 1997, this cookbook was a treasure I could not get rid of. And so even today, it has an honored place on my book shelf along with her treasured works of Jewish studies and her dearly loved novels by her favorite authors. (Especially the dog eared copy of Enough Rope by Dorothy Parker.) It is stained, torn and tattered and the red binding is badly faded, but best of all, there are still her home made tabs ...more
Yamo
Dec 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I have a dog eared copy from both my grandmother and mother with their own recipes on various pieces of paper stuck between the pages. Everything is in this book including measuring conversions, roasting times, baking times, adjusting for high altitude cooking and various tips and "secrets"
Karyn
Oct 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although much of the menus are outdated, as are many of the recipes, it is still a cookbook I pull out when searching for the origin of a recipe. When I want to see how a recipe was at its most basic, I refer to this to see how it evolved.
Sherry (sethurner)
Oct 29, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, food
This is a facsimile edition of the 1903 classic cookbook from MIlwaukee. I like reading the household hints, and seeing the old recipes. They strike me as both simpler (in terms of numbers of ingredients) and more labor intensive (in terms of not using convenience items we take for granted).
Lynn Szwalkiewicz
Oct 29, 2011 marked it as to-read
Shelves: cookbook
This is a wonderfully large old book with local history. It's written like a homemaking manual and covers everything from etiquette to recipes. I've really enjoyed reading it and trying some recipes. My copy is the 24th edition with a copyright of 1941.
Rosemary
Feb 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I've been cooking from this book for 37 years, and am on my third copy. Good, old-fashioned recipes with ingredients most people have on hand.
Genevieve Grady
Apr 20, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who like to cook
Shelves: have-read
This is a sentemental favorite since I grew up with this cookbook as our house staple. Nonetheless, it has every fundamental cooking need. I strongly recommend it!
Correen
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My five stars are for the read, history, effort of the authors, and breadth of coverage -- not the quality of the cookbook. I grew up with a later version of the Settlement Cookbook but never thought to actually read. It was instead a source of information.
The 1903 book was a delight to read. The women assembled it must have collected recipes for years and must also have gone out into their community and gathered recipes from a range of women's experience. The recipes do not follow a consistent
Deborah  Cleaves
Too out of date. Uninformative [steps missing in recipes or oversimplification]. Archaic ingredients. Just not particularly helpful. Have a couple of ancient and venerable encyclopedic cookbooks which still bring joy and information and have recipes with instructions that can be followed. [Orange meringue pie anyone? Yummy.] Much better than this cookbook which advises you to butter saltines and bake them. Really?
Fredrick Danysh
Jul 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking
Originally published in 1903, The Settlement Cookbook features traditional recipes of the period gleamed from the Settlement House in Milwaukee. It contains some recipes that would be considered lost today.
Starr Gotzen
Jul 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I bought this book for my daughters, too. Great kitchen hints and fabulous recipes.
Heather
Sep 11, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Heather by: Will T.
This book has the best pound cake recipe, according to my boyfriend's grandma. I can't wait to try this and other recipes in this book
Alessandra
Melting pot fare meant to "Americanize" immigrants, it's pretty basic middle American stuff. My 1949 edition includes a recipe for chicken chop suey which requires "Chinese sauce," whatever that is.
Fredrick Danysh
A collection of tested recipes for the home kitchen. A wide spectrum of dishes are covered by over 1,000 easy to prepare recipes. Sample menus are also provided.
Nancy

• King Henry VI, Part 2
  • King Henry VI, Part 3
  • The Spice Cookbook
  • Dave Barry's Bad Habits: A 100% Fact-Free Book
  • The Widows of Malabar Hill (Perveen Mistry, #1)