Start by marking “പാത്തുമ്മായുടെ ആട് | Pathummayude Aadu” as Want to Read:
പാത്തുമ്മായുടെ ആട് | Pathummayude Aadu

പാത്തുമ്മായുടെ ആട് | Pathummayude Aadu

Pathummayude Aadu is one of the most popular works by Vaikom Muhammad Basheer. It has a long foreword by the novelist himself and a longer afterword by P K Balakrishnan. This special edition also has illustrations by Sherif and photographs of the real characters including Pathumma and goats.
Paperback, 24th Impression, 120 pages
Published June 2009 by D C Books (first published April 1959)

Nandakishore Varma
Dec 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Vaikom Muhammad Basheer is not a person - he is an institution. He is one of the pioneers of Malayalam literature. He and his contemporaries wrote realistic fiction before modernism with its tortured dreams and weird fantasies took hold of Kerala.

Patthummayude Aadu ("Patthumma's Goat") is a fictionalised account of Basheer's family life - only thing is, as with most of his stories, we cannot say what is truth and what is fiction. The goat belongs to Basheer's sister Patthumma (Fatima), and is ch
Karthika
Jan 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A short and realistic novel. This book describes a small part of author's life and all the characters are his family members. He didn't try to insert plastic situations or dialogues in this book.. Simple languages with natural slang and his narration of the story as himself makes the story more natural and alive.

Humor is invisibly tied with almost all dialogues in the book. I really like the simplicity of the book. The book really worth 5 stars..
Aneesh Kr
Jun 26, 2013 rated it liked it
i dont know how to read books in this site. i think there is no such option. this site is a fake site.
Shine Sebastian
One of the greatest novels in Malayalam language. There is not one character in this novel that I cannot love with my whole heart.
As much as I love this book and all the characters in this book, I love and admire the creator of this purest masterpiece even more, as P.K.Balakrishnan points out in his notes to this novel, Basheer is one of the few writers like Anton Checkov, whose characters we cannot help but love from the bottom of our heart, even if the characters are ( atleast some of them) i
Anu Kuriakose
Jun 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
this is the book that gave me mirth...
i laughed and laughed..pondered..again and again..yes..he is the real Sulthan!!!
doest matter the grammar, but express as you feel..
Sharmitha Tom
"Pathummayude Adu' is written by an eminent Malayalam writer Vaikkom Muhammad Basheer.Like all his written stories this novel also stands as a unique one.it is a story which make us both laugh and think.

'Pathummayude Adu's central character is a 'adu'(goat) which act as a tool to open the hidden lives of Malabar muslims in Kerala.When Malayalam novel always focus on other religions it unknowingly veiling the Islam community.Unlike other common novels 'Pathummayude Adu' has something else to say.
Rameez Jazbi
Jul 20, 2014 marked it as to-read
i want to read this book
Shynil Hashim
Apr 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: malayalam
When I along with my friends met Fabi Basheer, she said its her fav book. She summed it up in one word as "oppiyeduthu".
Anupama C K(b0rn_2_read)
I had this story to study in 10th standard and I loved it then. Indebted to Amazon for the Kindle edition of this book. The readathon for reading books in Indian languages inspired me to reread this book. Usually I have a starting trouble reading malayalam books, but Basheer's books don't fall in that category. I love the writing style, the sarcastic comments and the real life characters.
The story starts off with the author coming back home, the house, which was built next to the family house h
Sarath Krishnan
Are you a Basheerian(forgive me for the coinage) or not is a question that often hears in the literary circles in Kerala. I would say he is a good writer with a good power over the medium and could communicate what he wants well. There is no need to make him an icon, he is already achieved that position. The book was part of the syllabus in SCERT, so everyone will be familiar with it. Good work indeed.
Annie
Sep 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book because it gave me a glimpse of how life was like for a poor muslim family (women mainly) in the time period around india's independence. About how clever women have to be to provide for their own.

Set in Northern Kerala, India.

Surumikareem
May 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
cant forget this novel.. awsum... all charecters are still in my mind.. since i have readen this novel before 7 years
Navaneet J
Oct 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Glad, I had this novel on my 9th standard syllabus. My mother read it to me. This is most simple, realistic, naturalistic book that talks about the sourness of life in a sweet manner.
William Joseph
Feb 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, indian
One of the best book I ever read.
Muneertt
T6
Visakh Sakthidharan
May 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
A take on the blended family culture from his own personal perspective. At the same time keeping the goat as the protagonist, was a stroke of genius
Devanarayanan
May 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Started reading and couldn't stop it. Finished it within hours. A Great book
JOSMI JAMES
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An anecdote from Basheer's life that unveils the life of common people in a typical keralite family in his time within an envelope of pure humour..........made me to laugh with his simple language.........hats off to that legend.
Avalonia Night
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The ultimate literary magician Bashir's book.And its magical
Fazal Np
Oct 01, 2017 rated it liked it
I want read this book i love this book
James Varkey
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Reading as Basheer's family and household lives day by day is mindless fun. They are fun and entertaining.
Naveen Varghese
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e
give a
Sambhu Dev
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I dont think a review is needed for this great book
Aswathy Balakrishnan
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I don't know the number of times I have read this book. It is still interesting as I first read it.
Biju
Abhijith
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Swathi Sasidharan
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved his simple language and the humour sprinkled in between. I love his books, no matter what...
Dinesh Kumar

• ഉദകപ്പോള | Udakappola
  • ഒരു സങ്കീര്‍ത്തനം പോലെ | Oru Sangeerthanam Pole
  • മനുഷ്യന് ഒരു ആമുഖം [Manushyanu Oru Aamugham]
  • അഗ്നിസാക്ഷി | Agnisakshi
  • പാലേരി മാണിക്യം ഒരു പാതിരാക്കൊലപാതകത്തിന്റെ കഥ |  Paleri Manikyam: Oru Pathirakolapathakathinte Katha
  • Odayil Ninnu
Vaikom Muhammad Basheer is regarded as one of the prominent literary figures ever existed in india. He was a legend in Kerala.

He was one of those outspoken figures who revolutionized Malayalam Literature, and Thus the World Literature itself with his dauntless sarcasm, satire, and black humor.

Often referred to as the Beypore Sultan (the king of Beypore) by the colleagues, he was one of the promine