Start by marking “Ash Wednesday” as Want to Read:
Ash Wednesday

Ash Wednesday

3.28  ·  Rating details ·  2,298 Ratings  ·  221 Reviews
Příběh Jimmyho a Christy, kteří se na cestě Amerikou prodírají vlastní rodinnou historií, svými zvyky a postoji k víře, smrti a životu. Cesta k okolnímu světu a k lidem však vede tou nejtěžší oklikou – přes hlubiny vlastního já.
Unknown Binding, 221 pages
Published January 1st 2003 by Bloomsbury Publishing (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Ash Wednesday, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ash Wednesday

K.D. Absolutely
Jan 22, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: celebrity-author
Tell me, how many Hollywood actors can write novels? Especially ones who are still active in movies? Especially if there is no co-writer beside his/her name?

Ethan Hawke (born 1970) has written two decent novels: The Hottest State (1996) and this book, Ash Wednesday (2002). When these books came out, I was not yet into heavy reading so these did not interest me. But a couple of years back, a member in our Filipinos group here in Goodreads favorably commented on these books so when I saw them in m
Daniel Clausen
Dec 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How can characters who are so multi-layered and so well-developed somehow be problematic?

The problem is that the two characters at the center of this book -- the fledgling couple Jimmy and Christy -- are flaky (or eccentric if you prefer a term with a positive connotation). The problem is that eccentric people are always interesting -- but for arbitrary reasons. They are quitting jobs, doing drugs, getting married, quitting drugs, finding God, cleaning up their bad habits, starting up new bad h
Cathy
Jul 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the name of honesty I will tell you that I was skeptical going in... because he's Ethan Hawke, a guy who probably wanted to add "novelist" to his already long and gorgeous resume.

More honesty: Two chapters in I realized that I needed to carry a notebook because I had to pull over constantly to rewind the audio (do we still call it rewinding?) and write down my favorite passages. There were so so many.

"To love each other and live in the truth. To not lie at all. To maintain a perspective on t
Hannah Eiseman-Renyard
Jul 30, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: College dreamers, coffee shop posers, the feckless
’Will-They-Won’t-They?’ On the Road

Those au fait with Ethan Hawke’s ‘philosopher groovy syndrome’ breed of intelligent, dreamy slackers in movie roles such as Reality Bites, Before Sunrise and Before Sunset, will find more than a hint of them repeated in this sophomoric tale. The only problem is that, though all those characters are likeable guys with interesting ideas, they might not be the tautest of storytellers.

Army fuckup Jimmy Heartsock finds himself going AWOL to propose to/win back hi
Valerie K
It was ok, not bad, and that is what 2 stars is supposed to mean. It was a fairly absorbing read, but the characters were so prone to constant yet shifting self-analysis, always on the brink of disaster or in mid-crisis state, it was like a hyped up version of some fifties melodrama where everyone is having epiphonies every ten seconds, then something happens and they have a new epiphony. It was too much. Still... there was something interesting about the way the two characters thought about the ...more
Lenore Beadsman64
mercoledì delle banalità e dei fessi che non crescono mai

Jimmy è un coglione della specie peggiore: quello che cerca la mamma

Christy Ann è la mamma, nel senso che cerca un coglione da adottare

la frittata è fatta e lei è incinta di un fesso che più che marito vorrebbe essergli figlio

la storia va avanti e indietro per un po', quindi non va da nessuna parte e il lettore, che presumibilmente ha superato i 15 anni, si annoia e gli viene voglia di prenderli a sberle, tutti e due...

poi gli viene in me
Karen
Feb 28, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Again I received this book as a birthday present. It's on par with the first book. At it's heart it is a simple tale, but told in such a way that it keeps your interest. The only reason I gave it 3 stars instead of 4 is because there's a part where he descibes a character as wearing a blue and gold Michigan State sweatshirt. As someone who went to Michigan State I took offence - our colors are green & white - University of Michigan (our main rival) are blue & gold. This mistake is unforg ...more
Aug 06, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-own-library
I wanted the book for a while without knowing much about it, other than Ethan Hawke was the author. My then-boyfriend bought it for me. I was unable to like or even mildly stand any of the characters. The part that most bothered me is early on in the book, when the protagonist's future girlfriend lifts up her skirt and shows him "her pussy" because he said "I'm not afraid of you." I couldn't help but feel this was unrealistic (not to mention irritatingly stupid).
Intortetor
Jan 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ok, non è un capolavoro. e si sente che l'autore viene dal mondo del cinema: cioè, pagina dopo pagina ti sembra di vedere davvero il film tratto dal libro scorrere davanti ai tuoi occhi. insomma, la storia è di quelle che abbiamo sentito raccontare altre volte ma il racconto scorre e funziona benissimo: consigliato, e non solo ai fan dell'ethan hawke che fa l'attore a hollywood.
Barbm1020
Mar 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-books
Ethan Hawke has made some interesting movies, and I've watched his chapter of Shakespeare Uncovered on PBS. Now I find that he has some serious writing chops. The young people he created for this story are so believable, their predicament so familiar and their pain and struggle so realistic that they seem drawn from life. I recommend this book.
Karen
Mar 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So real! Jimmy and Christy could be the couple next door, your parents, or friends. As Jimmy and Christy travel to Texas they make choices, grow, and question their lives. Such a real, heartfelt book full of inspiration and hope.
Kari
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm giving this book four stars because it has believable characters and a fun, obnoxious writing style that successfully reflects the honest passion this book so naturally exudes. The only trouble I had with this book is that the main two characters were clearly based off Ethan Hawke himself and of course his then-wife Uma Thurman. To some this might be an added bonus, but to me it just distracted from the story as I kept trying to ask myself which parts of the fictional relationship were a rea ...more
Samantha
I thought I wouldn't like it, but I did. It was a quick and interesting read. The second half was better than the first.

Some of my favourite moments:

1. The basketball challenge between Jimmy and the 12-year-old, who cries when he loses his brother's money.

2. This exchange:

Steve sat down next to me. "Responsibility," he hissed. "Screw a woman over thirty-five and she'll give you the ride of her life - makes an eighteen-year-old look like a blow-up doll. I'm not talking about sex, I'm talking abo
Sun
Apr 11, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A riveting read that's fresh and vital and funny. Jimmy Heartsock is a young soldier who breaks up with girlfriend Christy Walker only to propose marriage to her eight days later. The story alternates between the narratives of ambivalent and haunted Christy and the rambunctious but earnest Jimmy. The two drive across America via New Orleans and the craziness of Mardi Gras stopping for an express wedding and some pregnancy woes.

I have no idea whether the story is autobiographical or not (and I do
Nellie Airoldi
Jun 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mercoledì delle ceneri può essere riassunto così: Jimmy e Christy (o Christy e Jimmy) si amano, punto. Si potrebbe dire solo questo del romanzo di Ethan Hawke o forse si potrebbe aggiungere che oltre all’amore viene raccontata la scelta di un ragazzo e di una ragazza di sposarsi e diventare una famiglia. Perché non è che la famiglia “la si fa”, come spesso orribilmente si dice, ma la famiglia la si deve far diventare e diventare è un verbo Bello ma terribilmente spaventoso perché include un muta ...more
Dion Burn
Sure, the narration and monologues often sound like Richard Linklater's "Before" movies, but that's a good thing, if derivative; and what reader can be blamed for inserting Ethan Hawke into the protagonist's role? Pretend as best you can that this story was written by someone you haven't seen in movies, and you will likely admit that this is not a publisher's bone thrown to a popular actor. There's a fine ear for dialogue ringing true and a finely tuned story that captures in two twenty-somethin ...more
Taylor Church
Aug 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Took about 90% of the book for me to have a clue as to what the title meant, but it's meaning turned out to be beautiful and poetically propagated.

I'm excited to read The Hottest State now, for I've gazed into the creative mind of Hawke, and am pleased with what I saw and felt. A little vulgar at times, but at other times heart-breakingly vivid and beautiful. A fine novel by an amazing actor and promising writer.
Roberta
Jan 27, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, americana
Libro messo in wishlist praticamente solo perché scritto da Ethan Hawke, l'attore, senza sapere nulla della trama. E' la storia di Jimmy e Christy, delle loro esistenze problematiche e del loro tentativo di condividere la vita e formare una famiglia.

Romany
Sep 01, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this for 50 cents at an Opportunity Shop. Boy meets girl, some trials and tribulations ensue, will there be a happy ending? Not terrible. Worth the 50 cents for sure. Better than a lot of stuff out there.
Angelina
I might be the only person who preferred The Hottest State to this book. I didn't care too much about these deadbeat characters and their bad choices.
Diana
Jun 09, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Guy that has to face to decision to grow up once his girl gets knocked up. It's been done, of course, but I still found it a good read. Think of Hornby's torn relationships and adult confusion/angst save the funnies and peculiar obsessions. Female POV included.

Doroti
Jan 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Явно съм я чела и предполагам, че съм я харесала, но нищичко не помня...
Tara
I read the beginning, but got tired of the swagger, and so skipped to the end. I want to like your books, Ethan Hawke, but I wasn't feeling this one today.
Bethany
Jun 17, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Stick to looking scraggly and hot in movies, Mr. Hawke. This book was godawful.
Giada Sanchini
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
E bravo Ethan! Ho comprato questo libro dopo aver visto al cinema il film Boyhood. Linklater mi piace molto e, visto il bellissimo sodalizio che si è creato tra il regista e l'attore, in realtà mi aspettavo di trovare la sua influenza anche nel romanzo. Le aspettative si sono rivelate vere solo in parte, per questo è stata una piacevolissima sorpresa. Ci sono le sue elucubrazioni mentali, quella sorta di filosofia del quotidiano, quei personaggi un po' normali un po' sfigati, ma c'è anche una st ...more
GreatGreyOwl
Man verfolgt ein Pärchen auf dessen Reise zum gemeinsamen Glück und zu sich selbst.
Der Schreibstil ist meiner Meinung nach etwas besonderes, zumindest habe ich sowas zuvor noch nicht gelesen (abgesehen von den anderen Romanen des Autors). Der Schreibstil verbirgt sehr viele Weisheiten und kluge Gedanken, die einen zum nachdenken anregen und über sein eigenes Leben nachdenken lassen.
Das Buch ist an sich sehr ruhig. Es gibt keine große Spannungskurve, aber man möchte ab einem bestimmten Punkt trot
Nathan Grant
This one almost got two stars, but the last act of the story came together nicely. Hawke writes an OK story, but as a novel, it's weak. The story centers on two characters. Each chapter is written in first person and switches between Jimmy & Christy. These could be two of the most annoying characters I've ever read. One bad choice after another. One moment they hate each other, the next they love each other. The climax happens on, of course, Ash Wednesday. Perhaps I would have enjoyed this b ...more
Sandra Heath
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finished Ash Wednesday; I loved it. Ethan Hawke is deep. I was right, Christy was Uma. I loved her character. But he's not married to her anymore in real life, which was a premonition in his novel--that marriages might not last. His dialogue is really natural, masculine and cool when he writes in the first person as "Jimmy". He's thoughtful. There are lots of thoughts. Ethan is great at building "scenes' up to a crescendo (like the basketball scene with the young boy who dared to play Jimmy fo ...more
Syl
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. I found it incredibly insightful and had me thinking back in my own life. I was really zigzagging as to how I wanted things to turn out for the two characters who are struggling to be mature without a history of good role models.
This is probably a story that has occurred in real life too many times to count, but the first time I've read a fictionalized account and enjoyed every inch.
I will be looking for more of his books.
Alexa Rose
Of all the books I've read, loved and put on my favorites shelf Ethan Hawke has written two of them.
Literally the only author that I've read one of their books, thought it was amazing, and tried another and it was just as amazing.
He's a literary genius.
HOW DOES THIS ONLY HAVE A 3.28 RATING.
Please Ethan, write more books. I need more books like this in my life.
  • Troublemaker and Other Saints
  • American Knees
  • Dorfpunks
  • Das Augenspiel. Lebensgeschichte 1931-37
  • Arthur Mervyn: Revised Edition
  • The Best Damn Sales Book Ever: 16 Rock-Solid Rules for Achieving Sales Success!
  • Fox Girl
  • Kalt ist der Abendhauch
  • Memories of Summer: When Baseball Was an Art, and Writing about It a Game
  • Gehen
  • Die Ratten. Berliner Tragikomödie
  • The Tapestries
  • Die Tante Jolesch
Ethan Green Hawke is a four-time Academy Award-nominated American actor, writer and film director.

In 1988, Hawke was cast in a role in director Peter Weir's Dead Poets Society; the film's success was considered Hawke's breakthrough. He left school and appeared in A Midnight Clear, Alive, Reality Bites, Before Sunrise, Gattaca, The Newton Boys, Great Expectations, and many other movies. In 2001, he
More about Ethan Hawke

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Half a Heart
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Keeper of Secrets: A Novel
    $9.24 $1.99
  • A Garden of Earthly Delights (Wonderland Quartet, #1)
  • The Golden Notebook
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • As Close to Us as Breathing: A Novel
  • Just a Drop of Water
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Enemy Women
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer of Jordi Perez (And the Best Burger in Los Angeles)
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Stay Up With Me
  • The Loser
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Map and the Territory
    $8.99 $2.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Father's Day
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
  • The Ice Cream Queen of Orchard Street: A Novel
  • The Moonlight Palace
    $3.99 $0.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Secrets of Nanreath Hall
    $11.74 $1.99
“Give your heart to everybody you meet. The rest is pretense.” 38 likes
“Success isn't measured by what you achieve, it's measured by the obstacles you overcome.” 20 likes