Jump to ratings and reviews

Dark Betrayal Trilogy #1

Mortal Obligation

Ree will face the darkest form of betrayal before the year is out. Seventeen year old Ree McKenna has three goals: get through high school, convince her crush she is more than his best friend’s little sister, and save money for college. Fate, though, has other plans for her. After the untimely death of her older brother, Ree is haunted by dreadful nightmares and terrifying visions. To make matters worse, Ree has started to suspect that something dangerous is stalking her from the shadows. A night full of frightening surprises leaves Ree with unsettling news. Gifted by the gods with unusual powers, she must devote herself to a battle that could very well lead to not only her death, but the demise of everyone she knows and loves. After all, Ree is the only mortal standing between the Earth and utter darkness. Set in Savannah, Ga, Mortal Obligation is the first book of The Dark Betrayal Trilogy.

192 pages, Paperback

First published July 29, 2011

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Nichole Chase

20 books1,373 followers
Author Bio:

Nichole Chase is a daydreamer. No, really, just ask any of the math teachers that had the misfortune of seeing her name appear on their class schedule. For years she has had story lines and characters begging for attention, but she resolutely pushed them aside to focus on more normal (read, boring) jobs. Well, no longer! She is currently heeding the voices in her head and frantically writing their stories. Nichole resides in South Georgia with her husband, energetic daughter, super hero dog, Sulcata tortoise, and two cats. When not devouring novels by the dozens, you may find her writing, painting, crafting, or chasing her daughter around the house while making monster noises.

Nichole is the New York Times and USA Today Bestselling author of The Royal Series (Suddenly Royal, Recklessly Royal, and Reluctantly Royal). She has four other novels and several short stories published in different anthologies. Her next novel, The Accidental Assassin, will be available on November 4th.

Nichole Chase is represented by Rebecca Friedman of the Rebecca Friedman Literary Agency.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
297 (7%)
1 star
165 (4%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 210 reviews
Profile Image for Tee loves Kyle Jacobson.
2,471 reviews170 followers
September 2, 2011
Warning: This book is CONTAGIOUS!

My Cover Thoughts: This cover is awesome! It is of a girl looking at something in the cemetery. She knows something’s there but what it is ..... well you will have to read the book to find out.

My Thoughts/Review: Ree is just your average high school senior just trying to get through school and go on to college. She is in love with her brother’s best friend and wants to tell him but she does not know how. She has bigger problems right now because she has been seeing things but she is not quite syre if they are real until one day she is out with her friends and she is attacked.

After being attacked she finds out that she is not crazy but in fact has been seeing things and wait there’s more she will find out. Ree will question everything she has known and everybody who is around her. She will have to learn to trust people she would never trust.

The world as she knows it is changing and she has a big part to play in it. What will she do? Will she stay and fight or will she run? Will she be able to stand up to the one person that matters most in her life?

One day Ree is normal with a normal life and the next day she is something she has no idea if she even wants to be.

Memorable Quotes: “Ree?” Paden’s voice was very close to her and warm hands travelled over her head and shoulders. “Are you okay, Ree?”
“I’m okay, but Weylin needs help.” Her voice was dull, and she could barely raise it over a whisper.

“Hurry, Paden,” Roland hollered.

“We have to go, Ree. Hold on,” Paden said. Someone took Weylin out of her lap and Paden lifted her into his arms. She groaned as the world spun and he pressed her head against his chest. “Please don’t leave me, Ree. Please don’t.”

Just before she blacked out she felt his lips on her forehead while he mumbled reassurances.

Advice: Must read! You will not be disappointed!
Profile Image for Sarah Elizabeth.
4,670 reviews1,269 followers
August 1, 2013
(Source: Downloaded for free from Amazon.co.uk)
17-year-old Alastriana (Ree) is going to a concert with a friend (Paden) when she is attacked, and somehow manages to use some sort of green energy to fight off her attackers. When her employer than turns up and tells her that she and her friends are special, and should come visit her island, they are unsure of her intentions, but when they realise that Ree now has glowing eyes, and Paden now has fangs that they need to find out what is going on.

It is then revealed that Ree is the key to surviving an epic battle against the ‘dark ones’ – vampires from another planet, and that she must be trained for the battle ahead.
Can Ree win the coming war? Can she survive a relationship with Paden? And what other surprises lie in store for her?

This book was okay I suppose, but for me it just dragged, and some things were a bit annoying.

The characters were all okay, but none of them really called out to me. I didn’t really have any strong feelings for any of them unfortunately, which obviously isn’t good.

The storyline was okay, but I was just bored. The story just dragged, it felt really immature, and just dull unfortunately. There was a romantic scene between Ree and Paden which I liked, even though I did think it rather fortunate that two such long-term friends both felt more for each other, but there wasn’t enough romance to save the story for me.

I did get annoyed about some aspects of this book. There were a couple of large-ish info dumps which bored me, and a couple of statements that were a little off, such as; “you may be immortal, but if you are injured too severly, you will die.” I’m pretty sure that Immortal means that you can’t die, so this was a bit of an oxymoron, and we then sat through a discussion in which Ree was told that she would win the battle, so therefore they had to keep her safe, and she wasn’t allowed to fight. Excuse me if I’m wrong here, but I fail to see how she will ever be able to win a battle if she isn’t allowed to fight. And if she isn’t allowed to fight, what the hell are you training her for?

I suppose the ending of this one was alright, and there was an interesting surprise appearance. The ending was left very open for the next book though, which I don’t think I’ll be reading.
Overall; Not for me.
4 out of 10.
Profile Image for Larissa.
227 reviews35 followers
August 24, 2011
I loved this book. I had been following the author's blog for a while prior to the book's release and the premise had intrigued me: a young adult urban fantasy, a character that stands between the certain destruction of the human race, and the promise of a romantic side story. My type of book. It took me about a chapter to really get into it, but after that it just got better and better.

I really liked Ree, I thought she was a spunky, well developed character. And it was great because it wasn't just her and one other friend against the darkness, there was a whole cast of characters each with their own distinct personalities. I have to say though, that my favorite character is Roland. I kinda heart him. Like a lot.

The pacing was really good also. I think it is really hard - especially since I am a fantasy writer myself- to write a fantasy and tell the reader everything about the new world or version of the world in a way that is interesting and not just a list of all the things that are different. You can't really have a whole chapter dedicated to describing how this is different than that and so on. I thought that Nicole Chase did a good job slipping information in without losing my attention.

I definitely recommend this book, it was a great read. There aren't any final dates as to when the second book will be released, but when I asked Nicole on her blog she said it would be before Christmas, so it can't be that long of a wait unlike some certain authors I could name *coughs* Christopher Paolini, Cassandra Clare *coughs*. Anyway, check this book out, you'll be glad you did!
Profile Image for Becca.
149 reviews70 followers
January 12, 2012
Nice twist for the ya immortal genre!  Got this book for $.99 and it beats any dollar menu item - hands down.  I've been getting really frustrated lately with love triangles, wimpy plots and lackluster writing.  If you have been too....don't fear this book.

Ok, truth be told, it may have a potential love triangle lurking in the pages. But the organic feel of the writing style and premise more than make up for this tired tension builder.

In the first few pages, you'll meet Ree. She's an artistically driven high school student with a great group of friends and a relatively good life. Not the most popular but seems to be balanced if not happy. Ree lost her older brother a couple years before this story starts and that lost has not worked itself emotionally. Payden, her older brother's best friend is always at her side; up to a point, there is a line he just won't cross.  On the way to a concert with Payden and her friends....some freaky things are happening to Ree...

Nichole did a great job creating a world where the paranormal and normal cross paths. This story has a nice intensity, a good blend of action, drama and romantic tension. It's the first book in her Dark Betrayal trilogy and I'm hungry for more......

GR summary: "Ree will face the darkest form of betrayal before the year is out. Seventeen year old Ree McKenna has three goals: get through high school, convince her crush she is more than his best friend’s little sister, and save money for college. Fate, though, has other plans for her. After the untimely death of her older brother, Ree is haunted by dreadful nightmares and terrifying visions. To make matters worse, Ree has started to suspect that something dangerous is stalking her from the shadows. A night full of frightening surprises leaves Ree with unsettling news. Gifted by the gods with unusual powers, she must devote herself to a battle that could very well lead to not only her death, but the demise of everyone she knows and loves. After all, Ree is the only mortal standing between the Earth and utter darkness. Set in Savannah, Ga."
Profile Image for Rebecca.
1,035 reviews56 followers
Read
November 17, 2011
Mortal Obligation is quite a unique novel. I thought that it had a really great execution and there was just action from the word go. It was really good to be sucked into the story and then to keep getting pulled into the story so that I could get it read in no time.

I liked Ree as a character and I thought her full name Alastriana, was really cool. It was different, unique and I really liked it. I also liked Paden and Juliette. Actually, come to think of it there wasn't really any of Ree's friends that I didn't not like.

There was one little thing that irked me a bit and that was the way Ree and Payden acted around each other. They just made me want to grab them and push them together, at times it was so frustrating!

I thought that Ree's power was really interesting and I loved the whole concept of this book. I'm always interested in Gods and Goddesses and so this one was great. I'm curious to learn more about the powers and what these Gods and Goddesses do as well.

Mortal Obligation is quite a short book so it's quite easy to breeze through it. I did think that the ending was kind of abrupt though, but in saying that it is the first book in the series. I thought it did a good job setting up the series though. Especially with the little twist at the end that I have to admit I was not expecting at all. It was definitely a good twist though.

Overall, I enjoyed Mortal Obligation. I look forward to continuing with the series.
Profile Image for Yvensong.
871 reviews50 followers
October 13, 2011
Maybe even 4 1/2 stars

This first novel of a trilogy, left me hungry for more. It is well-written and very engaging.

The main character, Ree is strong, sometimes stubborn, sometimes weak and vulnerable, and interesting to follow as she learns she has an obligation to the world. The character has depth and it is very easy to build empathy toward this girl who is torn from the life she has known and also torn by her own inner turmoils.

The other characters are distinct and intriguing, with their own secrets to reveal when the time is right.

The world-building is exceptional and easy to relate to as the paranormal aspects are lightly interspersed through the known real world. In some ways, this can almost be seen as a "Buffyverse", with the norms not having a clue what goes on behind the scenes, even if they are caught up in the middle of it. This alternate universe makes for a fascinating read, without having to suspend all belief.

With the flood of paranormal literature out there, Nichole Chase has taken a chance in including her own. Her risk, hopefully pays off, as this novel stands above many of the offered fare.
Profile Image for Christy.
3,711 reviews31.6k followers
July 6, 2020
I liked that this book was different than the whole normal supernatural vampire type story. It was pretty cool. Ree was a likable character, her friends were great. I just loved Payden, I was really rooting for him... then their were times I really started to like Roland- whats a girl to do? Looking forward to seeing what happens in the next book!
Profile Image for Kathy Coleman.
Author 2 books37 followers
November 10, 2011
My Rating: <3 <3 <3 <3
Great!

The Plot: (Summary from GoodReads)

Ree will face the darkest form of betrayal before the year is out.

I really like how Nichole Chase set up her book. The entire thing moved in a natural and logical way that let the reader get to know Ree and her friends, the situation they were in, and the changes that were happening to them in great detail. Yet at the same time, this was done without being overwhelming. We get a clear image of the 'natural world' -- by this I mean the way their life was before everything happens -- and then get to follow the characters as they learn about the ways that their lives will change as they undertake a daunting task to save Earth from a great and terrible peril.

The beginning and the ending were both strong, well written and fast paced. There are definitely some surprises that the reader will not see coming -- or at least, surprises that this reader didn't. I liked the fact that Nichole was not afraid to have her characters take risks and that she was capable of making those risks have real and valid consequences.

The middle was good, but the pace was slower since it focused more on the training, growth and acceptance of the characters; the ways in which they adjusted to their new life and the responsibilities it brought with it. Despite the slight switch in pace, I liked the way this was done because it gave me time to build connections with each member of the reasonably large cast of characters to some degree. Since this is the start of a trilogy, I feel that it was a smart move and rather important.

I think my biggest issue with the plot of Mortal Obligation might be that the ending was slightly too abrupt. It was not a full blown, completely annoying cliffhanger. It did a great job at setting things up for the next book. But I did not feel that it tapered off naturally.

The Characters:

I genuinely like Ree and I found her an interesting character to share eyes with for a story. I felt that she was brave and compassionate, and was impressed with how she held her own considering the situation that she is in. For a while I was concerned that she was holding it together too well, given the circumstances, but fortunately the issues that were nagging at me -- namely the difference in her future and that of all of her friends -- was adequately addressed. This was very important to me, as a reader, because until it was addressed I must admit that I was having trouble empathizing with the situation. I kept thinking "If I were you I'd tell them all to bite me!"

Paden and Roland were both equally awesome.

I'll talk about Paden first. I found him charming and liked the fact that he was protective and caring toward Ree without coming off like a crazy stalker. I enjoyed learning about his connection to the Gods and found watching him adapt to his new situation rather fun. I also felt that he had great rapport with the other Guardians and was glad to see that while he was a major force in Ree's life, that he was not the only thing / one there.

As for Roland, I loved him! He has this fascinating past that gets hinted at throughout the story. He can be both snarky / sarcastic, or totally sweet and charming. He is a Dark One (bad!) who works with the Guardians (good!) which makes me curious about how he really feels about everything that is going on. And he and Ree seem to have some very interesting chemistry, something which I fought against initially but ultimately found very satisfying.

As for the rest of the Guardians, Nichole Chase created a solid cast to help Paden and Ree in their quest. I loved the little moments between Juliette and Bryce, and I thought that the closeness of Melanie and Weylin was cute in it's own way, too. If I had to pick a favorite out of these four it would be Weylin. I seem to have a fondness for guys with a little bit of attitude.

Lastly, I cannot feel that the character section would be complete without talking about Sylvia. The fact that my opinion of her changed so drastically and so many times over shows how good a job that Nichole did at setting her character up. I loved the fact that she was so complex and that I was constantly questioning how I felt about her, since I feel that is what Ree was doing (which made total sense) as well.

The Romance:

Normally speaking I despise love triangles. Or at the very least, an author is fighting an uphill battle if they want me to care about them. Not so in Mortal Obligation. I adore both Paden and Roland and I found their interactions with Ree equally interesting, which made it impossible for me to totally cheer for one over the other.

Paden and Ree have been close for a long time. He was her brother Tristan's best friend before he died, and he has taken to watching over Ree since that point. Ree has had feelings for Paden for a while now. I felt for both characters in this situation. I think most girls end up with a crush on a guy who is a little older at least once in life. And as someone who has two brothers, I can understand how Paden might feel concerned about what his friend would think if he tried to get together with Ree. It made for some very good conflict and tension.

Roland is a great big question-mark. First there is the fact that he has lived for a very long time. Then there is the fact that he is a Dark One. Add to that a history with some very shocking secrets and you can bet that I was totally intrigued. (Truth be told? If I was Ree I would choose Roland. I totally loved him. But that doesn't necessarily mean I instantly think they are right for each other.) I liked how different each of these guys personalities were.

I liked the fact that both were strong, confident characters and that both were dedicated to both protecting Ree and to encouraging her to be able to protect herself. I cannot get behind romance that encourages a character to become a 'passive heroine'. I appreciate the fact that although Ree is clearly a vulnerable character, Nichole never makes her a passive one. She is on board and fully thinking from beginning to end, which is part of what made reading the book such a joy and cheering for the romances so much fun.

In General:

I am very glad to have had the opportunity to read Mortal Obligation. It combined many of the things that I feel create a great story: memorable characters, intelligent detailed world building, a gripping conflict that presents real challenges and consequences for the characters and a romance complete with a hero (heroes in this case, which, yet again, is extremely impressive!) worth falling in love with. The only thing that is really left to say is that I am eagerly looking forward to reading the rest of this series. Nichole's first book is fabulous and I think it's safe to say that we can expect great things from her.

If you're looking to read an interesting urban fantasy with great characters, lots of action and a swoon-worthy love triangle, Mortal Obligation comes highly recommended. I totally loved it and can't wait to read more.
Profile Image for Kristin  Aragon.
337 reviews98 followers
November 5, 2011
Nichole Chase has created a darkly mesmerizing adventure with Mortal Obligation. Vampires and traditional mythology intertwine to breed a fascinating new take on all things vampire. I absolutely love the world Nichole created for this book. Her characters have chemistry, although they are not all that complex. The third person narrative allows a greater understanding of everyone's successes and failures, pulling you along for the ride.

Ree (Alastriana) - A junior in high school who is charged with the fate of the entire world - when all she really wants to do is enjoy the year, save money for college, and maybe enjoy some one-on-one time with her dearly departed brother's best friend, Paden. Ree is a little odd...she is artsy and tends to daydream a lot. She cherishes the friends she has because they are few and far between. However, her group of friends will prove to be much more loyal than she could ever imagine. Now all she has to do is survive.

Paden - A super-hot gift from the gods...literally. Marked with the trident of Poseiden and bearing the necklace of Brigid, he is destined for huge things. Brigid's insight led to Paden being made of mixed immortal blood. The only of Ree's guardians to be blessed by two god's, Paden is an invaluable part of her team. The question is...can he be everything Ree needs and wants him to be? He was Ree's brother's best friend and made a promise to look after her.

Juliette - is a girly-girl with lots of money but she isn't a snob. She is always impeccably dressed but she's not afraid to throw down with the guys either. She and Ree share a mutual dislike for Shannon and Michael...two "friends" of Tristan's. Juliette is one of the few friends that Ree feels comfortable with. Juliette is descended from the Japanese Sun goddess, Amaterasu.

Bryce - Juliette's boyfriend, who she compares to Adam Sandler. The gods have granted Bryce speed, which comes in handy as one of Ree's guardians. Bryce originates from an African god...Horus. He was one of the first to foresee the need to provide extra protection to Ree. Bryce wears a ring with The Eye of Horus on it. The symbol is said to provide the wearer protection, royal power, and good health.

Weylin - Another of Ree's illustrious guardians, he is the most hesitant to climb aboard. He is also a descendant of Poseidon's. Poseidon's mark is a trident inside Weylin's and Paden's wrist.

Melanie - is polar opposite of Weylin. She is a little too excited to join the ranks of the guardians. She is out for revenge and loving every minute of it. The goddess Hecate is where Melanie's history lies.

Shannon and Michael are well on their way to becoming full blown Dark Ones. They kick up the creep factor drastically. Both attend school with the others and Michael plays soccer with Paden. Everyone seems to feel the same way about this couple...they like them best when they are far away.

Tristan - As previously mentioned, was Ree's brother. Drugs and drinking became a significant part of his life before he died in a drunk driving accident. He has trusted Paden with his sister's care, though, that may be Tristan's biggest mistakes yet, in the grand scheme of things.

Roland - A reformed Dark One is the best way to describe this immortal being. He irreplaceable as a trainer for Ree's guardians, although, Paden spares no love for him. I found myself inexplicably drawn to Roland. Probably because he is a reformed bad-boy and we all know how I do love those guys.

Sophie - Once a guardian herself, is now in charge of training the new Alastriana. She was given the death-touch by her sister and is now able to harness powers only granted to the Alastriana. She is tough but also kind and knowledgeable. She tends to keep secrets that could mean life or death for Ree and her friends.

I loved this book. I absolutely, positively fell head-over-heals in love with all of the characters and the mythology involved. Each of Nichole's words proved to have meaning as I read Mortal Obligation. I would read a line and then 50 pages later realize that the line had more meaning than I ever imagined. The first chapter was extremely well written giving you insight to each character and providing a perfect amount of mystery to keep you reading.

The premise of the books was fascinating to me. Two sets of gods got together and decided on a set number of battles to decide the fate of the world. Each of the battles consist of a single Alastriana, her guardian, and a Dark One. The set number of fights - 101. Battles already fought - 100. Score - tied 50/50. Ree must win or the world is lost to the Dark Ones. Lucky for her, the rules have changed. She has five guardians plus Sophie and Roland behind her. Not so lucky for her...the Dark One she must battle will cause her more strife and grief than she could ever imagine.

Action played a larger part in Mortal Obligation than anything else; however, there was also a great amount of time spent building potential romances. None of that fall-in-love-at-first-sight-stuff. I am truly interested in seeing where Nichole takes this romance. The different aspects of different relationships she alludes to, promise to make for an interesting storyline as the series continues.

Even though the storyline is rather dark, I was left laughing out loud on quite a few occasions.
Profile Image for Mandy Reads Indie.
1,544 reviews100 followers
September 8, 2011
Ree fears she is being followed by something lurking in the shadows. She is right. While out with friends, Ree is attacked. And the world she thought she knew changes in an instant. No longer a typical teenager, she is now the only hope for mankind against a group of deadly vampires called the Dark Ones. And yeah, these guys don't sparkle. Each of her friends are given special powers and become Guardians in order to protect Ree in the battle against the Dark Ones. With only a week left before school, the group must train to use their talents and prepare themselves.

First and foremost this author is one of the sweetest authors I have come across. Just precious! Second, her book totally rocks! The plot is well developed as well as the kickin’ tail characters. Out of all the characters in the book, I liked Ree the most. Labeled an art geek in school, she really grew into her new role throughout the week the book takes place. The character I wanted to slap upside the head the most? That would be Paden. Why must he be a butthead in the love department? But yeah I still love him too. I am looking forward to the next book and praying there is as much action, suspense and romance as in this one. Mortal Obligation is definitely a must read book that you’re going to love.
*UPDATE* I did forget to mention there is one
whopper of a twist in the book. I was so shocked!!
Profile Image for Courtney (Fuzzy.Coffee.Books).
312 reviews17 followers
September 9, 2011
I was really excited to get into Ree's world after reading the summary of Mortal Obligation. And my excitement was generously rewarded as I was swept up in this great story.

What I liked: 1) The Guardians. How they are...created, or tapped as Guardians is pretty cool. 2) Roland. Okay, I'm majorly crushing on this guy. He seems to be super sweet, but also kinda dangerous at the same time. 3) And then of course there's Paden. Strong, sorta silent type whose nursing an unrequited crush? Let's say it together now, LOVE TRIANGLE! There were some incredibly sweet scenes with Paden that just made me want to sigh. 4) The battle scene. This was one of the best written battle scenes I've read in a while. Seriously, I was holding my breath at one point. 5) I didn't expect the killer twist at the end. Going back and thinking about it, I was like, oh, man. I should have seen that coming! But I didn't. :)

What I didn't like: 1) It's a little slow on the uptick. It took me a bit to get into the story. Of course once I did get into it, I didn't emerge until I was finished.

Overall thoughts: This is a great start to The Dark Betrayal Trilogy. It opens up a new world full of interesting characters, a new twist on paranormal concepts, and a different backdrop. I can't wait to see where the story goes next for Ree and her friends.
Profile Image for Mireille Chester.
Author 44 books104 followers
December 12, 2011
I bought my copy of Mortal Obligation the day it released. Nichole had put up an excerpt and the instant I read it, I was hooked. It then took me forever to get to reading it. Well, so many months later, I finally got to it... and it was just as fantastic as the excerpt I remembered.

The story starts off normally enough. Ree goes out with friends and her brother's friend, Paden, whom she has feelings for. When she realizes she's left the tickets in the car, the two of them head back to get them. That's when they realize that something isn't right, that what she thought was a figment of her imagination is actually real, and she is being followed. After a few fights, a high speed chase, and well, just one hell of a night, we find out what is really happening to her, the nature of her new found powers, as well as Paden's and the rest of their friends' involvement. I don't like to give spoilers, so let me just say that the entire story is filled with action, revelations, and ends with a huge kick in the gut for Ree.

I can't wait to see what Nichole Chase has in store for Ree and company in the second installment of this trilogy :D I have a feeling it will be fantastic. This novel gets five stars from me. :)
Profile Image for Daphne.
266 reviews18 followers
November 2, 2011
The plot was different but I wasn't drawn to the story. Normally I have issues putting a book down and it wasn't the case this time around.

Ree a geeky artsy girl in high school; of course doesn't feel she is pretty and no one notices her but she has a crush on her dead brothers best friend Paden. Paden a drop dead gorgeous guy who feels he needs to maintain his promise of protecting Ree as a little sister.

After sometime Ree feels she is being watched and discovers that she and her group of friends have special gifts; they are part of a society which the gods have put together to take care of the human race from the Dark One's.

Well...most of the book is about their training in preparation for this war. She meets a Dark One who is on their side (Roland) and well opposite attract right? So she finds him attractive and he is drawn to her because he believes she is his reincarnated soul mate.

Toward the end they have a battle, a loss and a surprise. I hope the next book gets more into the characters.
Profile Image for Justina.
101 reviews5 followers
September 12, 2011
I really liked this book. I can't wait for the next one. I liked the way it gave a new twist to vampires and through in a little mythology too. Very good.
Profile Image for Megan.
1,474 reviews187 followers
March 27, 2018
This was an interesting twist on the typical vampire story and I loved all the mythology elements in the book. The characters were fun, but when they were first discovering what was happening to them some seemed a little too nonchalant about it. The surprise at the end is something I should have seen coming, but I didn't, and maybe it's not as obvious as I thought it should have been to me. I definitely want to continue with the series.
Profile Image for Jackie.
3,475 reviews113 followers
November 27, 2011
Synopsis

Ree will face the darkest form of betrayal before the year is out.

My Thoughts

This was a book that I won from Judi "Sidhe Viscious" blog in a giveaway and when received it from the author immediately dove in and started reading this YA UF paranormal. For a first book in a trilogy this one of course sets up the world and the characters for the storyline, unlike some though there is never an area where the reader feels overwhelmed with information or lost trying to keep track of the multiple characters. Ree is a normal "geeky" high school student whose main goal is just to get through and graduate while attempting to enjoy life along the way with her friends. There have been times throughout her life when she feels like something is out there watching her in the shadows, sadly when she is proven right it is a much more terrifying presence than what she could have ever imagined. Power comes to Ree to help save her life and that of her friends changing their futures forever.

This is a roller coaster ride of a read one that takes one that takes different elements, including modern day happenings, and interweaves them together to create quite an enjoyable addition to the paranormal reading genre that I have loved to immerse myself in for many years now. The way that the author shapes the characters is unique and interesting. The dynamics between Ree and her friends very carefully thought out and also in keeping with real teenagers actions including all their angst, drama, silliness and even unthinking selflessness when faced with protecting the ones they care about. I am really looking forward to the next book "Mortal Defiance" because when this first part of the story ended it just barely skimmed the surface of revealing what was going to happen next!

Profile Image for Nicole.
370 reviews65 followers
December 14, 2012
Mortal Obligation was such a surprise. I remember reading the synopsis and review and thinking I knew what it was about, but then realising how very wrong I was. A very unique blend of vampires and demigods, it was refreshing and fun and a really easy read.

Things I loved about this book

1. The protagonist, Ree, confides in her friends. So many protagonists who face freaky unexplainable shit tend to hide it from their friends and then act surprised when it explodes in their face. Not Ree. Ree and Paden don't hesitate to tell their friends about fangs, weird green goo and people trying to kill them and let their friends decide whether to come with them to get answers or trot them off to a mental aslyum.

2. There are warm, close, platonic relationships between the female protagonist and her male friends. If you've read as many YA books as I have, you might begin to think a boy and girl who are close in age can never be just friends. Mortal Obligation shows they can!

3. I love a good soul mate story. And Mortal Obligation has that. Roland mentions resurrection and hints at the fact that Ree has many of his dead gf, Tria's traits. Ree finds Roland familiar and has all these weird dreams where she speaks a language she's never heard before. There is also a lot of talk about soul mates, and I can't help but think that Roland and Ree are going to be my new Russell and Evie (Premonition Series). YAY!

4. No insta love! There is a lot of romantic tension between Ree and two other characters, but Ree has been attracted to one of them forever and the other may be her soul mate. Notwithstanding this she doesn't just fall into either of their arms. Or pants.

Things that pissed me off

1. Ree. She's supposed to be 18 and she always complains that everyone treats her like a kid, but she DOES act like a child. She bawls her eyes out or throws furniture when she doesn't like something. Apart from her tantrums she plays two guys against each other and yet blushes at every single sexual innuendo or compliment. I thought she was max 16.

2. The secondary characters feel more like fillers. I love their banter and they support of Ree but they only seem to appear in the story when it helps the story develop. They're kind of one-dimensional to me.

Overall though a very easy, enjoyable read. If you want some fun and flirty YA pnr, this books is for you. But if you're looking for something deeper and more mature, go for Inescapable by Amy A Bartol.
Profile Image for Kerri.
439 reviews12 followers
October 9, 2011
First I have to say that I love the dark and mysterious, yet beautiful cover.

Okay so I downloaded this book off Amazon for only 99 cents and trust me you never know what you will get when you download one of these types of books. Let me just say that I was very pleasantly surprised. "Mortal Obligation" by Nichole Chase was something totally different - a fresh new paranormal idea which was pure fun to read.

The main character is popular, 17-year-old Ree McKenna, an artsy, strong independent girl who is still dealing with the death of her older brother Tristan. Ree has three main goals: finish high school, convince her crush Paden that she is more than his best-friend's little sister, and save money for college. When Ree finds out that she has been gifted by the gods with unusual powers she is shocked, but nothing prepares her for the news that she is to lead the battle to save the Earth from utter darkness.

Of course what is a good action-packed adventure story without a little romance? Paden is Ree's secret crush and he is her friend, protector and confidante. Enter Roland to complete the love triangle, who is a mysterious bad boy turned good. (Come on admit it.... who doesn't love a good love triangle?)

This storyline could so easily come off reading as totally ridiculous but Nichole Chase's writing style is so engaging that it grabs the reader quickly and instantly takes you on a fast-paced, mysterious, at times romantic, thrilling ride right up to it's twisty 'turny,' surprise ending.

So why did I give it 4 stars and not 5? I just found I was a bit frustrated with the final big fight scene. I don't want to give away anything but basically I just wanted to see Ree use her powers a little more. Also I found myself frustrated with Paden's character. I want to hit him over the head and say wake up already. Finally there is Roland - I love his character and I wanted him to play a bigger role. His disappearance at one part in the story seemed odd.

But overall I really enjoyed reading this book and would highly recommend it. "Mortal Obligation" is the first book in the Dark Betrayal trilogy and I am looking forward to reading the next book in the series.
Profile Image for Gabbi  Calabrese.
93 reviews3 followers
December 4, 2011
Actual rating: 4.5 stars
You can go HERE to see an interview with the author!

Uh, wow. This book stunned me! Heart-pounding action, exciting characters, and shocking secrets ensnared me in the world of Mortal Obligation.

Nichole Chase has a writing style that demanded my attention from the very beginning. After the first sentence, I was completely hooked! She has a way of creating a fitting atmosphere for every scene. I could feel the danger that lurked, feel when the mood tensed and lightened. And I could see everything in my head as if I was watching a movie.

This story is different than the everyday discovering-your-destiny-and-finding-out-you-have-mad-powers story. For starters, Ree is a human. Her friends are immortal, but she is human. She is the "weak" one in the group. She isn't as fast as her friends, can't hear as well, not as strong as them, and she has to constantly have people looking out for her. Even with those limitations, she is incredibly powerful and crucial to the survival of...well, the world. This book had an interesting premise with a unique back story, and there are obviously even better things to come in the next novel!

The characters were all great. Ree gets upset really easily, but she is loyal and kind and, even though she cries and whatnot, she is really strong. I loved her. She's funny and isn't afraid to say what's on her mind. And Paden. Mmmm mmm mmmm. Hello hott stuff! He doesn't have the bad boy thing going on, which is totally awesome for Ree. He's protective and can get moody, but he is definitely a sweetheart. The rest of the group was great to! They each brought distinct traits to the story that really boosted the greatness by one hundred percent! They each made me laugh and groan and roll my eyes and smirk. I didn't really like Roland or Sophie though. I guess I just didn't feel all that connected to Sophie. And Roland...well, he just infuriated me.

This was a great read that I had issues turning away from. I can't wait for the next book in the series!

Profile Image for Katy.
611 reviews333 followers
September 20, 2011
I really enjoyed this book because it didn't have your typical vampire and immortal elements. Yeah, the vampires are taking over the world, and there's a girl who has powers she has never known she has, and it's up to her to save everyone. But it had a new twist that the vampires didn't come from Earth, and Ree is being protected by these unique immortal guardians that are descendents of different gods. Pretty cool concepts.

I can honestly say I was never bored, from beginning to end. It didn't take long for the action to start. There were traces of romance weaved throughout the book, and there's a twist at the end that really knocks you off your feet.

The reason that I didn't give this five stars was because there were parts that I found myself shaking my head a bit. For example, the part where everyone is finding out what's happening to them and they're all talking at once (or the scene with Juliette in the bathroom) they're guessing aliens, vampires, etc. I found myself chuckling and saying, "You've got to be kidding me, right?" Still, it was entertaining.

The other reason is because I wasn't happy the way it ended. Yes, I know it's the first of a trilogy, but it was like the end of a chapter and not the end of a book. It wasn't a cliff hanger ending, but it didn't give me closure either. In non-cliffhangers, books usually end with the end of one adventure and sequel will start the next adventure. This adventure hasn't ended. It's like the VCR or DVD player was set on pause. LOL, I guess I don't know what I'm saying other than I wish I didn't have to wait another year or however it takes for the second book to come out. I'm looking forward to it though.
Profile Image for Stacy.
1,330 reviews63 followers
September 9, 2011
reviewed by http://urbanfantasyinvestigations.blo...

I gave it 3.5 stars

I love when a new book that incorporates the Gods and their gifts comes out. I don't know why it intrigues me so much but it does and I enjoy reading the interpretations of the different myths that authors have for their characters and stories.

Ree and her friends had a great mix of personalities. They are all extremely loyal to each other from the beginning. MORTAL OBLIGATION had a great pace to it. The action and training of the teens was well written and engaging. There was some pretty good twists at the end that I in no way saw coming. I enjoyed the love triangle, I feel both of the romantic interests have enough positive and negative things going for them to make things interesting and it added some great jealousy moments to the book. The biggest complaint I had about the book is the ease that which Ree and her friends believed and accepted all the God gifts and roles they are to play in Ree's Destiny. They were mostly like COOL bring it on, I have vampire teeth hahah (very much paraphrased they didn't really sound like that) when I felt they should have been a bit freaked out at what was happening. All in all this was a great debut novel from a new author. I was kept interested throughout the book and I would enjoy reading what comes next.
Profile Image for Celina Ortiz.
13 reviews3 followers
October 26, 2011
First things first: I have never ever had the character on the front cover of a book match exactly what my mind creates the person to look as I am reading... *Hats off* to Nichole Chase and her mother-in-law Lisa on the cover creation.. O.k.. so with that being said we all know it's what happened on the pages after the cover that we all want to know about.

With hundreds of new paranormal books being released every year it is really hard for an author to separate herself from the rest with an intriguing story the readers will remember. Nichole Chase has done just that with Mortal Obligation. You have the classic paranormal creatures, mythology, love triangles, great friendships, humor, action and this is all with Nichole adding in hints of whats to come in future books as well as a HUGE shocker that you will never see coming. I have already marked my calender for Mortal Defiance (RELEASE DATE:December 2011).
Profile Image for Brie.
70 reviews4 followers
April 10, 2017
I died a little when I got the last page and there wasn't another. I absolutely loved the mixture of the aspects of the fictional world. Gods+Energy Power+ Guardians+VampireAliens+Awesome Characters= A knocked my socks of with intensity book. Dont even try to understand what this book is about from my little equation just read it and if your socks don't fly off your feet. well.. don't tell me because we'll have a problem. I might have a new favorite series.

Speaking of intensity/characters... ;) you can go around saying how much you dislike love triangles as much as you want but let's be honest. A good one is enetertaining. And ohboy if this isn't a good one I don't know what is. I'm so excited to see how things progress. They're both so perfectly flawed and lovable. Ah! oh and Ree is a great heroine. not pathetically weak but not over confident. it makes for good fight scenes:)
Profile Image for C.C. Jackson.
Author 3 books89 followers
February 7, 2012
I had a lot of trouble getting into this book. I found it overly descriptive which would normally be a good thing but in this book it was kind of annoying. Like- she added ham and cheese to her sandwich. Then decided she wanted pickles and then a pinch of salt, etc. I skimmed over the majority of the writing just to get to a scene that had any relevance to the plot. It also had a lot of weird mistakes. One minute it was midnight on New Years and the next sentence would say "since it was 2am". The fight scenes were okay and the twist at the end was interesting but the rest of the book I found really lacking.
1 review
August 21, 2011
I put my life on hold for two days and used every bit of free time I had to read the book. Could not put it down for the life of me. It is an awesome read and extremely engaging! I loved it, simply put.
It picks up quickly and just keeps going from there never slowing down even at the very end. You can't help but be drawn into the story and characters. I cannot wait for the next book in there series! If you are even just remotely interested in this genre, this book is a MUST READ!
Profile Image for Spoiledduchess.
46 reviews1 follower
October 28, 2011
Mortal Obligation by author Nichole Chase, is an enjoyable young adult paranormal book. The story follows the plight of Ree and her friends coming to terms with their new found powers. Ree and the gang are an interesting and diverse group of characters. This is a good adventure with some twists that I didn't see coming. I thought it was a little bit slow in the begining, but it picks up and is worth the read. I'm looking forward to more of this story.
Profile Image for J.
75 reviews
October 30, 2011
I enjoyed this book very much. I found the story to be extremely interesting and different. The author brings in several different mythology backgrounds into the story. I absolutely love learning about that stuff. Of course there is the love triangle. The main girl with 2 men. Oh who should I pick. haha! But again, I found this story to be refreshing and can't wait to read the next one in the series.
Profile Image for Donna Dull.
Author 19 books133 followers
August 2, 2011
From the moment I started this book, it was abundantly clear that Nichole Chase has a true gift for storytelling. From the first word to the last I was enthralled and unable to focus until I knew what was going to happen. When I reached the end, I was a little sad that there wasn't any more. I am certain this book has something in it to appeal to any paranormal lover!
Profile Image for Stephanie Nelson.
Author 11 books1,000 followers
August 3, 2011
Excellent book! I was drawn into the story and found myself flipping page after page to find out what happens. I loved the characters and plot, not to mention the twist at the end. I'm anxiously waiting for the next installment!!
Profile Image for Elizabeth Hunter.
Author 70 books5,794 followers
August 9, 2011
Really pleased with this book. I don't read a lot of YA, but I thought the characters in this were very well developed, and I was impressed by the dynamics the author set up. Really looking forward to the second book!
Displaying 1 - 30 of 210 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.