Start by marking “Alex and the Amazing Time Machine” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Alex and the Amazing T...

Rich Cohen

Alex and the Amazing Time Machine

3.43  ·  Rating details ·  42 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Alex Trumble is a pretty ordinary kid—except for the fact that his IQ borders on genius, and he loves to read books on vortexes and time travel. But when two angry hit men kidnap his big brother Steven, Alex's life changes fast. Inventing a time machine (using an iPod, mirrors, duct tape, and a laser pointer) is only half the battle. With the help of the time-bending Dingu ...more
Published May 8th 2012 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Alex and the Amazing Time Machine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alex and the Amazing Time Machine

Lisa Calvert
Long rambling story. Hard to follow...had to wait too long for something interesting to happen! Meh.
Cesar-Polito-Garcia
Jan 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
The story starts when a boy named Alex, has dreams about time traveling with his friend Todd using his own device that he created. A scientist named Dr. Shaprut tries to build a time travel machine, and told Alex that there’s a book that has secrets on how to time travel. Alex goes to the library and finds a copy of the book but it’s missing the pages where it contains the secrets. Two men named Carl and Little Davy are on the loose and tried to get answers from Alex about the “Dingus”. Alex doe ...more
Jonathan H.
May 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-lit, scifi
This book is for middle-grade readers. Alex Trumble is a pretty smart kid who happens to love the concept of time travel. Then two mysterious thugs show up, and they’re after the secret to time travel. When they kidnap his older brother and vanish, it’s up to Alex to invent a time machine and go back in time to piece together the clues and rescue his brother. This middle-grade book has lots of little hints dropped early in the book that only make sense later, and although the time machine explan ...more
Claire
Jun 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: myra-selections
This book is a great. I recognized some of the more current theories for time travel and some real physics wrapped up in a compelling story that kids who like science will like.
With an 850 Lex. It may be beyond the reach of some readers, but look for an audio version to stretch the accessibility.
I can think of quite a few kids in my elementary school who will like this book.
I especially like how Rich Cohen put himself into the story.

Marge Keller
Sep 06, 2014 rated it did not like it
I started reading it because I liked the summary on the back of the book. I had a hard time getting into it. So I gave up on it. Could go back to it if necessary but wanted to spend my time on something else.
Vicki
3.5. Nice little sci-fi read for grade fours about a precocious kid who invents a time machine (using an iPod, mirrors, duct tape, and a laser pointer) when his brother is kidnapped by two angry hit men from the future.
Jo
Dec 09, 2012 rated it did not like it
Confusing. So confusing and staccato that I actually stopped reading, because it failed completely to engage me.
Kate McCartney
A very interesting premise for a middle grade book, but it never fully takes off.
Kristen
Jan 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Loved it. Donnie Darko meets Back to the Future.
Mandy
Feb 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
(3.5)
Alex is a 5th grade genius obsessed with time travel. He becomes even more obsessed when his brother Steven got kidnapped while on a family vacation. Will time be able to heal Alex's wounds?
Josh Jackson
May 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
Good start with an interesting plot that young readers will enjoy. However, it seemed like the plot never took off. The ending came too quickly and did not have a lot of action as expected.
Ratforcekids
A kidnapped big brother and a time machine invented by a very clever new hero will take you on a rollicking ride through this awesome story. Hilarious at times, I think you'll like this book!
Rafi Weltmann
Sep 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book

I loved this book it had adventures, and cliff hanging chapters that made you always want to enjoy reading it.
Debbie
Raylee
Jan 18, 2015
Allison Mittleman
Oct 10, 2014
RICH COHEN is the author of Sweet and Low (FSG, 2006), Tough Jews, The Avengers, The Record Men, and the memoir Lake Effect. His work has appeared in many major publications, and he is a contributing editor at Rolling Stone. He lives with his family in Connecticut.

For more information, please see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rich_Coh...