Start by marking “Hemlock Grove” as Want to Read:
Hemlock Grove

Hemlock Grove

(Hemlock Grove #1)

An exhilarating reinvention of the gothic novel, inspired by the iconic characters of our greatest myths and nightmares.

The body of a young girl is found mangled and murdered in the woods of Hemlock Grove, Pennsylvania, in the shadow of the abandoned Godfrey Steel mill. A manhunt ensues—though the authorities aren’t sure if it’s a man they should be looking for.

Some suspec
Published March 27th 2012 by FSG Originals (first published March 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Hemlock Grove, please sign up.
Marie I thought it was quite well written, but a little predictable. I'd say its better to read the book before watching the show. (I know everyone says tha…moreI thought it was quite well written, but a little predictable. I'd say its better to read the book before watching the show. (I know everyone says that..lol). But in this instance, the show flows so well through each series, that if you go back and read the book, it can seem disjointed and a bit hard going. Especially as you already know where the story is heading.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Whitney Hitt
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Hemlock Grove
paula
DO NOT read reviews of this book. Except maybe this one because I am not going to say ANYTHING.

There's a standard question people ask in interviews: "What book would you most like to read again for the first time?" My answer always has been Love & Rockets because I was so totally unprepared for a comic book to turn out to be an actual novel, and because I fell in love with the characters, and falling in love is always a wonderful experience.

Now I think I'd have to say Hemlock Grove, because I wa
Michael Clark
Jan 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
I'm glad other reviewers have pointed out the problems with basic rules of punctuation and point of view in this novel. They are so often frustrating and distracting that it robs the novel of whatever interest it might have.

Two things recommend it: a great werewolf transformation scene, and lots of kinky sex scenes that seem designed to push it out of the Twilight demographic.

Other than that, it's confusing, it has characters that do stuff for no reason that's ever clear, it reeks from the odor
Toni (U.A.C.)
Hemlock Grove (Urban Fantasy, YA)

One weekend when I was at home watching TV, I noticed a new Netflix Original TV Series called Hemlock Grove. There are a total of 13 episodes. I watched them all. The series starts off really slow but eventually picks up the pace and there are a few moments of "Oh, wow! What did I just see?" Like the scene of Peter shifting. It was unique and memorable. But the negative side was that there were a ton of unanswered questions and dangling plot points.

Then someone s
Obsidian
Sep 04, 2016 rated it did not like it
What a mess this book was. The only thing I found interesting at all was the reluctant friendship between Peter and Roman that eventually turned into a real frienship. The idea that werewolves know about upirs and vice versa (a certain kinship exists between them) was an interesting idea that I wish had been explored more. Instead we have a dubious plot, terrible dialogue, underdeveloped characters, a rape scene, and casual slurs flung about throughout the book.

The book starts off with a young 1
Wendy
May 07, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: hated-it
I started reading this yesterday because I enjoyed the show on Netflix. WOW. This writer should be grateful that someone more talented at subtlety, character creation and storytelling saw the value in his work. I can't believe they made such a captivating television show out of this piece of garbage.

I was shocked how badly it is written and what poor language is used in the book sometimes. For example when Peter sees the prayer group in school he thinks to himself "Oh. Gay." WTF? Why? That did
PopInsomniacs
Apparently I was excited enough about Eli Roth's adaptation of Hemlock Grove, soon to air in its entirety on Netflix, to devour Brian McGreevy’s novel in the space of less than two days. Yeah, that’s right, I sped my way through an entire book instead of babysitting it like I always do (even the ones I legitimately love, which, by the way, is not how I feel about McGreevy’s creation).

The basic premise is that when the bodies of young women are found brutally mauled in the fictional town of Hemlo
Sheldon
Sep 13, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, horror
All right, let me get one thing out of the way: Yes, I read this book because of the Netflix series. I have a sick compulsion to read books that movies or television shows are based on so I can understand the source material and supposedly have a greater appreciation for the adaptation. Note the use of the word “supposedly.”

Now for a second disclosure: I have not finished watching the Netflix series yet. I'm about halfway through it at the time of this writing. While the Netflix show seems relat
Jocelyn
Apr 20, 2013 marked it as could-not-finish
Shelves: monsters
I can't tell if the author thinks that this is actually how teenagers speak or if it's some literary tool that I'm not catching on too. But "go suck an egg" is not a thing.
Victoria
Feb 06, 2012 rated it did not like it
I really tried to finish this book. It is pretty rare that I don't finish a book, no matter how terrible it is, because I can usually find at least one redeeming character or plot point to capture my curiousity. Unfortunately, this book did not even manage to provide me with that much. I made it to the 185th page - more than halfway through, and I just couldn't force myself to read another page. And this was actually the third try I made to get into the book past the first 20 pages.... When I fi ...more
Book Riot Community
If your index finger and your middle finger are the same length, you’re probably a werewolf. Hemlock Grove is a town full of secrets. Someone-or something-has been murdering young girls. Peter thinks it’s Roman. Roman thinks it’s Peter. An unlikely friendship between a vampire and a werewolf draws all kinds of negative attention in a small town. You’d better stick to your curfew in this place, because there’s a high likelihood of being devoured.

McGreevy’s characterizations and luminescent senten
Katy
Nov 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of "Frankenstein"
Recommended to Katy by: Amazon.com Vine
My review can also be seen here:
Please note: Read in Feb. 2012, just copying the review here.
Trigger Warning: Scene with a cat that will be distressing to sensitive readers.

Disclosure: I received an ARC of this book from the Amazon.com Vine program in exchange for an honest review.

My Synopsis: Hemlock Grove is filled with interesting characters and facilities. There is the newly-arrived Peter Rumancek, a half-breed gypsy and werewolf. There is Roman Godfre
Reed Bosgoed
Sep 24, 2013 rated it did not like it
Well, I'd like those 4 hours of my life back. A friend of mine made me suffer through the TV series promising me that at some point it would get awesome. It did not. I saw the potential for a good story in the show. I told myself it wasn't fully realized because Hollywood rapes good books and turns them into schlock. So I decided to read the book. WHAT THE FUCK did I just read? I don't know much about the author, but he appears to be quite convinced of his own genius. So much so in fact, that he ...more
Andrew
May 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
A very odd book to read, which is not a complaint. The story unspools like a Dark Shadows arc played out by a gallery of modern adolescent malcontents, maybe the cast of Skins. Solid, muscular writing, if a little too eager to impress in places. Unusually, and happily, there is no normal, bland reader-identification figure in the cast; every one of these characters is eccentric at best, distressing/disgusting at worst, and finding out who these people were kept me reading as intently as the desi ...more
Gary
Jun 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: booked, 2013
This one I’m going to do a little different. I watched the series before I read the book. The series is an actual visual representation of the novel. It’s like they filmed the book. There are few difference but they are minor, and the series changes made the story more interesting, in my opinion.

Hemlock Grove is an example of where staying faithful actually worked in its favor. The series is definitely a nod to reader. Reading the novel makes you appreciate the series more. For those who asks:
Latasha
Oct 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books, horror
I liked this book very much. the writing was so pretty. it almost seemed old fashioned in places and at times. oh be still my heart! I have not seen the Netflix series. These kids don't act or talk much like high schoolers but I can go with it. i don't read many werewolf books so this was all new to me, the transformation and such. i loved that Peter kept calling is skin his man coat. !! I'd say read this!
Robbie Bashore
Mar 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I finished the book yesterday, and I have been waffling between giving it 4 and 5 stars, ultimately deciding on 5 (even though I almost never give a 5), for the following reasons: when I finished it, the first thing I wanted to do was read it again, so I could catch more of the symbolism and clues to the mystery; also upon finishing the book, I felt compelled to re-read all of the interviews with the author, to get his take on the novel; I dog-eared many pages to mark unfamiliar words; and I car ...more
Jen Davis
Jul 06, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
On a scale of 1 to 5, internally rate how much you love the following:

Terrible sentence structure and a complete disregard for the use of commas.
A self referential writer/ narrator.
Frequent use of the word “retard.”
ESP tied to the testicles of a main character.
Plot developments seemingly placed entirely for shock value.
Incest/ rape.
Giant gaps in the storyline with no explanation.
Major unanswered questions.
A conclusion that makes little or no sense.

If you gave a “5” to more than one of t
Vanessa
Jun 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone who watched the show
So what should happen, happened.
I finished reading Hemlock Grove.
I should maybe first point out that I watched the whole season (13 episodes) of the show, available on Netflix, BEFORE I read the book, and that English is not my native language.
I will just give you a little word of advice.
I won’t write a full review right now, because I have to gather all my FEELS about it ( and believe me, they’re legion !!! My heart is so full of FEELS for this story (book + show) that it threatens to explode
Kandice
Dec 15, 2015 rated it liked it
2020-
I felt exactly the same way upon reread (I listened this time), but will say that hearing it aloud was a bit better. It made me miss seeing these "boys", so I may need to rewatch the show.

2015 -
I wanted to give this five stars, I really did. I absolutely gave the series, on Netflix, the highest rating, but this is one of the cases where the series/film did the story more credit than the author. Rare, but it happens. McGreevy had a great tale in mind, but the manner in which he wrote it leav
Josen
Nov 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017-library
3.5.........So I’m a little conflicted with this review because I really liked the beginning of this book and how it started out. It even held me until the last chapters --- that’s when it got kinda’ confusing. Lol! I had not seen the show before I read this so I really had no idea what this was about. Just going from the cover of the book I thought, okay…..werewolf-ish, urban fantasy which included upirs (a species of vampire). I noticed from other reviews that people had problems with McGreevy ...more
Branwen Sedai *of the Brown Ajah*
"The flesh is as sacred as it is profane."

"I cannot tell how it mounts on the winds through the clouds and flies through heaven. Today I have seen the dragon."

This book is not not NOT for the faint of heart.

Now that that warning is out of the way, may I feel free to start gushing about this book?

Excellent.

It's amazing. Most certainly one of the best, if not the best werewolf book I have read in a very long time. I actually haven't picked up any were books recently because I was getting a little
Tommy
Jun 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
"Words are thermal energies. These energies were introduced into her system to become kinetic in her thighs and her fingertips and behind her eyelids. States of matter changed. Her heart became a liquid that pooled under her feet and she was a water bug racing on molecules."
-from Hemlock Grove by Brian McGreevy
How could I not love a book written with that kind of balls-to-the-wall arty self-indulgence? Hemlock Grove is a supernatural psychological mystery thriller that kept my brain working fra
Asghar Abbas
Nov 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Gorgeous wordlings
simply put it delivers
with the wolves, the Hunter's Moon, with the overwrought prose being just how I like it, with all the monsters, guts, gores, Gothicness and all the red in between, I love this book. Just perfectly nonsensical.

as AURORA would say ;

There's blood on your lies
The sky's open wide
There is nowhere for you to hide
The hunter's moon is shining

I'm running with the wolves tonight
I'm running with the wolves
I'm running with the wolves tonight
I'm running with the wol
Ashley
May 06, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: library-book
I kind of want to give this book zero stars. But even for a book I hated as much as this one, that seems mean. And I did finish it after all. So let's say .5 stars.

Anyway, this book is the definition of throwing a bunch of things against the wall and hoping they stick. But none of it sticks. Just look at the book blurb. It mentions a murder mystery, biological experimentation, a werewolf, and a snobby rich kid thrown into the mix for good measure. That's all there and only some of it works. Most
Shadowdenizen
Jul 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: media-tie-in
3.5 stars (rounded down.)

I read this book in preparation for viewing the Netflix series.

That said, this book was a realatively fun read, and had an interesting mish-mash of genre concepts, but the.. interesting?.. writing style made it a bit harder to read than it should have been for a book of this type.

That said, I'm curious to see how Netflix adapted this book to a series.
Cassie
May 25, 2013 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: YA horror readers
Recommended to Cassie by: Kia
I'm definitely guilty of reading this book because of the TV series. Despite some of what I thought were bad director choices, strange acting moments , and weird writing styles, I really enjoyed the series. If nothing else, it's the best werewolf transformation I've ever seen on screen. So I was curious to see the discrepancies between screen and book.

Those bad director choices, strange acting moments, and weird writing styles are directly from the book. McGreevy has a lot of ill-formed thought
Mariella
May 19, 2013 rated it did not like it
Horrible misogynistic piece of crap. I started the TV series on Netflix, and it was pretty bad, so I decided to try the book instead, and then I understood why Eli Roth was so interested. This book is gross. I finished it because I hate to be defeated. But this book is awful, explicit rape scenes throughout with a werewolf thrown in half haphazardly to give it a point. A town where some people have special powers, and others are mutants? Its like a 15 year old wrote this and abused the hell out ...more
Lauren (Sugar & Snark)
Apr 25, 2013 marked it as to-read
I've marked this as To-Read but now that I am half way through the Netflix Series (based on the book) I am having second thoughts.

It's been 7 episodes and there has yet to be any sign of a coherent story line. The plot just sort of fumbles along. Randomly (and sparsely) dropping information about different characters around. And some of these character seem to have no purpose in the story at all. And just when you think something awesome is going to happen the "video" seems to skip and you are l
Matt (TeamRedmon)
Mar 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
There was a lot happening in this book and it's not just werewolves. I hadn't seen the show so I didn't know what to expect. I especially enjoyed the plotlines of the mysterious corporation doing experiments, and the mystery of the various murders around town. I listened to the audio of this one and it was well done but I had to speed it up quite a bit because the narrator. spoke. so. slowly. Recommended.
Lauren
Dec 05, 2011 added it
I don't even know how to rate this because I have no idea what the hell happened! Damn, perhaps I'm just a dullard
2020 SQHS Your Li...: Hemlock Grove By Brian McGreevy 5 6 Jan 28, 2020 12:21PM
Undead & UnRead B...: Hemlock Grove by Brian McGreevy 3 9 Sep 22, 2018 06:43PM
Castle Dracula: Hemlock Grove - October Group Read 61 28 Nov 15, 2017 02:36AM
Question about TV Show based on this book. 3 19 Mar 11, 2016 09:01AM
The Narrator? 1 16 Jan 12, 2016 11:10AM
2015 Reading Chal...: Hemlock Grove by Brian McGreevy 1 13 Sep 27, 2015 08:32AM

• Your House Is on Fire, Your Children All Gone
  • Witches of Bourbon Street  (Jade Calhoun ,#2)
  • Midlife Curses (Witching Hour, #1)
  • Ravenous
  • How To Be a Medieval Woman
  • The Little Book of Hugs
  • Everything You Need
  • One of Us
  • The Capture (The Prey, #2)
  • THE MISSING THIEF an enthralling crime mystery full of twists (Yorkshire Murder Mysteries Book 9)
  • The Princess Beard (The Tales of Pell, #3)
  • Seed
  • 自殺サークル
  • Castaways
  • Army of One
  • The Hanging Balloons; 首吊り気球; Kubitsuri Kikyu
  • The Girls Weekend
  • Murder in the Crypt (Redmond and Haze Mysteries, #1)

News & Interviews