Start by marking “Global Girlfriends: How One Mom Made It Her Business to Help Women in Poverty Worldwide” as Want to Read:

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  172 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews

“A heartening story of big dreams and small steps†--Pietra Rivoli, author of Travels of a T-shirt in the Global Economy

“An engaging read, upbeat and inspiring.â€--Kirkus

"A beautiful example of what one woman can do to improve the lives of thousands worldwide simply by following her heart. Stacey Edgar’s story is nothing short of amazing, and it will inspire

Published April 24th 2012 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published April 12th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Global Girlfriends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Global Girlfriends

Cherie In the Dooryard
I didn't actually expect to enjoy this book very much, as I am not generally a fan of "the world is awful, but I'm a do-gooder" genre (that's a genre, right?). They tend to read like either PR pieces or inspirational fluff, and both approaches turn me off. And, frankly, I was embarrassed about the title, as I'm not really the girl-power/girlfriend type. But Edgar actually wrote a compelling case for her business that focuses less on her and her work and more on the women she intends to help and ...more
Christine Lussier
Aug 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Picked the book up only b/c someone had shelved it as a display at our library, thus going against the "never judge a book by its cover". A bit slow at times--author tells of her travels to various countries while chosing which "merchants" to work with. Everything they sell must be made by women. Women make up 70% of those earning less than $1/day--1.3 billion people total.

The book clearly makes you want to support her efforts, as well as others in the fair trade market. It also made me wonder
Jane
Aug 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author took a tax return of $2,000 and made a thriving business helping women in disadvantaged countries. She tells the stories of the women who make the items that she sells. It gives me a greater appreciation for all that I have.
Jo Oehrlein
Jul 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: umw-2017
From the UMW list, but not overtly religious. It's about a mom who got depressed by bad things in the world and wanted to help. She decided to help women in poverty by helping them find a market for their products in the US.

Lots of tales of particular women and businesses created and run by women.
Jenn LeBow
In a world that all too often tells us that selfishness is the only way to get ahead, stories of great love stand out. Today I'll be telling you about three of my recent favorite love stories: Then They Came For Me, by Maziar Bahari; A Good and Perfect Gift, by Amy Julia Becker; and Global Girlfriends: How One Mom Made it Her Business to Help Women in Poverty Worldwide, by Stacey Edgar.

None of these books is a romance novel; in fact, one is a memoir with insight into international politics, anot
Oriyah Nitkin
Initially, this book bored the heck out of me. It read like a memoir, but without anything of particular interest having happened to the author herself. All the interesting stories she shared were of the lives of the women who manufactured the merchandise her company was sharing. Although the interest factor did increase, it quickly turned into an infomercial for her business (which is horribly named, by the way) and a call to buy fair trade products.

My in-laws are into fair trade. I never reall
Jenny
Jun 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the true life story of a mom taking her tax return and starting up a business from her garage to help impoverished women in third world countries.

I loved her admiration and passion for women helping women, her belief in sparking a world-wide community of sisterhood (Global Girlfriends) who would value the people behind the products and reach out to take care of each other.

Talking about extreme poverty she said: "...nearly 3 billion people [live] on less than $2 a day, and 26,500-30,000
Halle Butvin
Apr 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stacey Edgar is One Mango Tree's biggest customer. We partnered with Global Girlfriend in 2009 to head up our US wholesale distribution - anytime you see One Mango Tree product in a shop in the US, it got there through Global Girlfriend's relationships. Stacey visited Uganda in August 2009, on a trip to decide whether or not to partner with us to develop organic cotton knit clothing. The trip was a success, and our apparel line is a now a huge part of our business.

I've been waiting to read the b
Mary Beth
May 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sarah, Val, Amy
Shelves: non-fiction
This book was very educational and inspiring. I found it to be interesting and fun to read.
This book is about a woman who set out to help woman in other countries get out of poverty. She did this in small steps by buying the products these women make and selling them here in the U.S. She would pay them in advance and then when the items came, she would sell them at parties. Then she took the money she made and bought more items from more women. She helped thousands of women. She did this with a
Constance
Nov 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Readers like me, with little business or travel abroad, will likely be delighted with Global Girlfriends. The success and struggles of Stacey Edgar and her international craft network is an inspiration. The story has the potential to twister you into cheer, skepticism, sympathy, and turn you green with envy. If St. Martin's Press publishes a second edition, I suggest they include some pictures and reference maps. Guessing the identity of the women gracing the cover as Sanita and Rina Bajrackarya ...more
Cyndi
Oct 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is interesting how people come in and out of your life and for me Stacey Edgar has crossed my path a number of times. I recently read her book on how she started Global Girlfriends and many of her stories were very similar to my own experience and inspiration to start my business, Entwined Artistry. She provided a lot of resources, inspiring stories of women around the globe all struggling to make a life for their families. On reading this book it does show that one person can make a differen ...more
Max Knickerbocker
Apr 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Beyond phenomenal!!! If everyone did 5% of what this wonderful compassionate loving woman did-----
the world would have no more poverty. I have approx. 25 books on my list to read in this genre.
Can't wait----inspires me to try to do as much as ;possible. I highly recommend Yunus----he has written approx. 10 books on global poverty and is pretty much the one who started kiva. I just adore him. I am shocked that some reviewers stated the book was tedious. Absolutely amazed. I was hanging on every w
Kathy
Feb 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Non-fiction. Wonderful, inspiring story of how the author followed her convictions, interwoven with the stories of her colleagues, and friends - real women all over the world, from Guatemala to Nepal, from Haiti to Uganda. It is a passionate argument for simple actions we can all take to eliminate extreme poverty. There are many ways that we can all help...as simple as purchasing Fair Trade Coffee....and other products. Important book to learn more about living conditions around the world...and ...more
Christina
Stacey Edgar's company certainly does worthwhile work, but her book was somewhat tedious to read. Edgar's accounts of her failure to make it into the Peace Corp when she was younger, her marriage into a prominent political family in Illinois, and her travelogue of adventures, including the African safari that she tacked onto her visits to Uganda and with Masai women in Kenya, were a bit self-serving and unnecessary. On the other hand, it's hard to disagree with her intent to give impoverished wo ...more
J
Mar 16, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-books-read
The author is insufferable. According to her, she does everything well. Her retail training? Home parties. Jetting around the world teaching women of different nationalities, cultures, and languages about "trends" and how to successfully manufacture them? No problem! It's all in a day's work for this overachiever. This seems to be one long I'm-just-amazing self-love fest. Important work, but the book is a farce.
Andi
May 23, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The beginning and ending of Stacey's story of her fair trade import business are strong, but the middle is pithy. I would have liked to read more of the stories about the women she wrote about, instead of Stacey's feelings about the stories.

It was a good book for light reading but it wasn't life-changing. If you're already concerned about living conditions in developing countries, this will reinforce your thoughts but perhaps give hope that we all can do something.
Elizabeth
Sep 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the things I like best about this book is that it is the story of one regular woman who acted on the passion she had for people in need. Starting small, she ultimately created an incredible global organization (and website) that makes a very real difference in the lives of thousands of women. It is an inspiration to everyone that you can change the world from where you are and with what you have.
Celeste
Apr 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I disagree with the reviewers who thought this book should have been written differently. I thought the style was fine and that the author included in her book the things I wanted to know about the topic. I particularly enjoyed reading about her connection with Greater Good. I've been clicking on their website for a couple of years now and wondering if they were for real. It's good to know they are. :)

Joyce
Jul 14, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like what these women are doing/have done. They provide good information at the end of the book about how others can join in the work. However, the book itself was difficult to finish because it was too long. I grew tired of reading one story after another about the author's visit to different groups to meet the people, consult and find new businesses and didn't finish.
Christine Johnson
The one thing I took away from this book is...always try to buy fair-trade goods. It is a simple way to start helping today. Women hold the family purse strings in most developed countries and our buying choices can create change for women and their families in less developed countries. I am the buyer for the Johnson crew and I have taken a new look at how I spend our money at the grocery store.
Rebecca
Jun 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Completely inspiring and amazing. This is one woman's journey to build and help other women around the world. Makes you think, show alittle bit more gratitude and find all the small and big ways you can change the world.
Christine
Whomever it was that recommended it...it was a good choice. I wouldn't say that she's the best writer but the stories and her experiences to help others, need to be shared. Our eyes can always be opened more.
Cathy
Excellent idea and explanation of how one highly motivated woman helped other women worldwide.
It did get tiresome listening to the same scenario of meeting with new clients over and over.
Could have been edited just as One Cup of Tea could have been made more coherent.
Megan
Apr 06, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Occasionally read like an essay on world poverty levels but the occasional glimpses into the lives of the women artisans Global Girlfriend partners with was interesting and helped put a face on such an enormous issue.
Victoria L. Trifu (McKinney)
Very inspiring! I'm all geared up to save the world, one woman at a time! I especially loved how Stacey traveled to the countries and villages with which she worked with. I have recently been bitten by the travel bug and felt as if I were there with her meeting these remarkable women.
Susy
Dec 26, 2012 rated it liked it
As an author,Stacey Edgar is okay. As an inspiration, she is phenomenal! Her belief, commitment, daring, and energy really shine a light on what is possible. The book is well worth reading to gain that sense of the possible and then to formulate your dream to make a difference.
Heather
Apr 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Found this book at whole foods. The writer lives in Littleton CO. I love everything about this book. Her experiences an how she helps women all over the world. Would love to be part of something this big one day!
Denice
Oct 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't think the writing of this book is worth 5 stars but it's ideas certainly are. When I finished reading this I felt that with very little effort I really could make a difference in another woman's life.
Shannon
May 30, 2011 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Loving this book; I'm all about making the world a better place. Maybe one day I'll be inspired and actually make a difference myself....until then, I'll do hte small stuff...It's all important, right?
Nmdb22
Jun 12, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
i expected more - a bit superficial, the story of a good person who has just discovered poverty -- and done something about it, she gets credit for that - and writes a book about traveling with chickens on buses and various other hardships of life in the third world
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Murder in the Name of Honor: The True Story of One Woman's Heroic Fight Against an Unbelievable Crime
  • Jennie: The Life of Lady Randolph Churchill, Vol 1: The Romantic Years 1854-95
  • Naked Fashion: The New Sustainable Fashion Revolution
  • A Journey of One's Own: Uncommon Advice for the Independent Woman Traveler
  • Out of Poverty: What Works When Traditional Approaches Fail
  • She's Such a Geek!: Women Write About Science, Technology, and Other Nerdy Stuff
  • The Third Wave: A Volunteer Story
  • Naked: Black Women Bare All About Their Skin, Hair, Hips, Lips, and Other Parts
  • Body Toxic: An Environmental Memoir
  • YELL-Oh Girls!: Emerging Voices Explore Culture, Identity, and Growing Up Asian American
  • Sarah Emma Edmonds Was a Great Pretender: The True Story of a Civil War Spy (Carolrhoda Picture Books)
  • The Poor Will Be Glad: Joining the Revolution to Lift the World Out of Poverty
  • Mr. and Mrs. Prince: How an Extraordinary Eighteenth-Century Family Moved Out of Slavery and into Legend
  • Etiquette: In Society, in Business, in Politics and at Home
  • Orphan Justice: How to Care for Orphans Beyond Adopting
  • Fodor's New York City 2012
  • What About Me?
  • Act of Grace
A passionate advocate for women and children, Stacey Edgar started Global Girlfriend in 2003 as a way to provide economic security for women in need by creating a sustainable market for their products. She used her 10 years in social work practice with women and children as a springboard to her role as a social entrepreneur. Stacey has been honored by the Microsoft Corporation as a recipient of th ...more
More about Stacey Edgar...