Start by marking “The Art of the Pitch: Persuasion and Presentation Skills that Win Business” as Want to Read:
The Art of the Pitch: Persuasion and Presentation Skills that Win Business

The Art of the Pitch: Persuasion and Presentation Skills that Win Business

Occasionally, a great idea will sell itself. The other 99% of the time, you have to find a way to persuade others that it is, in fact, a great idea. Most executives spend the vast majority of their time creating their work, and almost no time on the presentation. Through an engaging and humorous narrative, Peter Coughter presents the tools he designed to help advertising a ...more
Published January 3rd 2012 by Palgrave Macmillan

To ask other readers questions about The Art of the Pitch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of the Pitch

Rick
Mar 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
This was a great book for anyone who needs to get better at presenting, in any industry, but especially the advertising industry. I recommended it last night to a young tech CEO friend of mine. The one thing is I wish it talked more about leave behinds vs. presentations, and presentations that go up onto the web later, like on Slideshare. Peter once saw me present, and told me I had too many words on my slides, AND HE WAS TOTALLY RIGHT, but I had to put all those words on there so the deck made ...more
Michael
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Every interaction is business life is a sales pitch, and the product of the sale is you. You, and your ability to be trusted, and the credibility you bring to your work. Quiet and reserved people often resent the need to sell themselves and think the quality of their ideas should be the measure, not how they are packaged. But the reality is, in our information overloaded world, the best ideas will never be heard if they are not presented in a compelling way. It's no secret that the best communic ...more
Dan
Nov 04, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: nonfiction, 2017
I had to read this for a class and the writer's arrogance was a huge turn-off. There were some helpful tips, but it was mostly basic information with a lot of bragging. Additionally, there was a LOT of contradictions in the advice as well as occasional misogyny. Would not recommend.
Kevin Dempsey
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In the high-intensity world of business, it is important for firms to do whatever they can to stay ahead. In order to sell a product, service, or idea, the audience must first be convinced. This is exactly the topic of discussion in Peter Coughter’s book, The Art of the Pitch: Persuasion and Presentation Skills that Win Business. Coughter begins by explaining his credibility in the book’s introduction; he was a part of Siddal, Matus & Coughter Ad Agency, a company that started with three in ...more
Tahira Mursleen
Apr 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Honestly, I found this book talking about the same concepts that have been chanted to me as I grew up.However, the reason why I found this book so interesting was the fact that it taught me these same concepts in a way that made me listen. The book was repetitive, but I was engulfed by the way the author wrote his opinion and by his real world examples. It accomplished something I didn't realize until I got to the end. The book was able to pitch me the same concept, in its own way. It was differ ...more
Rafsan Ahmed
May 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Art of the Pitch was a delight to read. It makes a very clear, precise point, with some fantastic real-life examples. My opinion is of-course biased, as I am naturally drawn to the world of advertising.

It sometimes makes the point in a repetitive fashion, but this is partly attributed to the fact that the art of the pitch is something that needs to be practiced. See this merely as a tool to perfect the art, rather than expecting to be great at advertising by reading this book alone.

My favori
Yulenka
Mar 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ad-life
Great book, really interesting insights. I did find it repetitive, to the point where I felt like I had previously read entire sentences. But aside from that, it offered some good advice which really applies to advertising and presenting in general.
Juliana
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The book “The Art of the Pitch: Persuasion and Presentation Skills that Win Business” written by Peter Coughter was a book written from a marketing executive perspective focusing on its main point that a good product is not enough to win. Once reading the book, it is clear Coughter’s audience are presenters. While the book offers advice for marketing in general, the tips he provides are aimed at the presentation side of marketing more so than the analytical and statistical side.
The biggest tak
Seng Wee Wong
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: biz-strat
Not very impressed with the book. The book is written in a colloquial manner and is full of fillers. First of all presentation skills are not easily attainable through a list of pointers. You don't read a book on presentation to improve your presentation skills. It takes years of practice to find your own style of presentation.

There are many anecdotes in the book but they are in italics. WHY. (You make the text harder to read) Many pointers mentioned in the book are generic. I strongly suspect
Tyler
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Smart stories and approaches from one of the best new business leaders in advertising. A must read if you are in pitches.
Andrei
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Down-to-earth. Loved it.
Jenny Starks-Dean
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Should be mandatory reading before anyone opens keynote or powerpoint.
Camper
Sep 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
More about pitching to win business but tons of great info on giving presentations in general.
Manu
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Just few words would be more than enough describe this book from beginning to end - "passion for presenting".

This book is loaded with passion that Peter has for delivering amazing presentations. Being a great presenter and having a successful track record of been associated with the world of advertising, Peter has very carefully chosen words to craft this book. Every chapter has details about the lessons he follows when it comes to presentations with tons of examples/stories from some great pre
Troy
May 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Every successful business man or woman has had to learn the fundamental concepts of 'The Art of the Pitch' in someway or another in their career. Whether it's pitching your employees on a new concept or process, persuading a client to 'go big' and give you their entire budget, convincing friends and family to go on a trip, or even debating with co-workers or loved ones in the realm of life, love, sport or business. Truly grasping the understanding of how to deliver a rock solid pitch can make th ...more
Robbie Zettler
Jan 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: work
Focuses on the way to improve the pitch and to persuade others into buying into your idea. Not necessarily tangible ideas, but overarching themes to be followed in order to engage the audience into full participation. Simple concepts from telling stories and "read"punctuation" (aka take a beat every once in awhile), to more difficult ways to engage the room via authenticity and being yourself. There is no reason to attempt to emulate someone else or be "professional" because that is not what is ...more
Ben Pinson
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Copied from my Amazon review:
This book is fantastic! I've been in sales over 20 years and read a lot of "sales" books during that time. Coughter offers a fresh approach to presenting: yourself, your ideas, your pitch. I found the book to be relevant, and learned some new things I can put into action immediately. If you have ever done a Power Point presentation, or suffered thru one, you should pick this book up. Aside from my interest in the theme, the flow of the book was particularly easy to r
Dave Perks
Jul 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If a good bit of your livelihood involves pitching ideas, making presentations or selling anything, you need this book.

Peter Coughter is as good as they come whether he's in front of a room working to win new business or with a small group teaching them how to do it. Secretly I hope that no one else reads this book once I'm done with it because I've got a lot more new business to go out and win as we build this young agency I'm working for.

It's a quick read and some of the stories are just fant
Thomas
Jan 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Much like the author himself, the Art of the Pitch is an expert and amicable authority on how to be winningly memorable. Even if your professional life doesn't involve actually standing up in front of a group of people, you sell yourself everyday. And whether you're selling widgets or quarterly numbers or why you deserve a raise, Peter's book offers guidance and anecdotes that can help even the most timid glossophobe improve his presentation skills.
Chris
May 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Written with personality and filled with good advice on presentations, meetings, persuasive speaking, and selling your ideas. Peppered with great anecdotes from many of the leading lights of the advertising world, telling their tales of epic wins and occasional defeats. Like most business books I've read, it gets repetitive and could have been shorter. However, I've seen much worse, and this was not a bad read.
Sergio GRANDE
Jul 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
In a world overflowing with self-help, how-to, DIY and "insightful" lightbulb books, this is a supernova.
Forget trite Ogilvy and Hegarty scribbles. This is the real deal.

Thank you Mr. Coughter for sharing so much knowledge.

PS: If you work in advertising and haven't read this book, GREAT! Don't read it. We don't need any more effective competition.
강민 이
Oct 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I chose to read this book before I took a course, being one of the recommended books from the professor.

It just opened my eyes to new methods of presentation.
I always felt that there would be some book out there to teach me the art or presentation
and this book is the best I know till now.

If there are any recommendations let me know!!
Nick
Dec 28, 2012 rated it liked it
A simple, straightforward discussion of the tried-aand-true basics of presentations. There's nothing wrong here to get you started giving good presentations. There's also nothing new. Not for advanced speakers.
Peter House
Jul 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic read. Engaging, persuasive, and memorable. The book is written in a way that made me lose a sense of time while reading it. Good stories with lessons sandwiched in between can do that. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who needs to pitch.
Judd
Nov 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
Good book. Entertaining read and insightful. If you hate presenting, this will help. If you like it and are good at it, this will make you better and help you teach others. The stories in the chapters are a great way to break up the "lessons" and make it an engaging read.
Taylor Laughlin
Jun 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: advertising
This book was amazing for anyone who wants to be reminded/needs help improving their presentations. If the advice followed from this book is used more business will be won.

This is a must own for all in the Advertising industry
Erin
Oct 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Read this in advance of attending Peter's training. It is a quick read, with the main points outlined clearly. I liked the first person accounts of industry leaders. Nothing earth-shattering, but an overall good reminder of best practices.
Sara
Mar 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The bible of public speaking. Essential reading for anyone who wants to sell ideas, tell stories, win arguments, sound like an expert, etc. And when you're the one in the audience, you'll never be able to watch a presentation/pitch/speech the same way again without referencing this book.
Alan Kercinik
Dec 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Whether you are forced to use PowerPoint or Keynote or some other bit of theatre in your day to day life or not, this is worth a read. Because what Coughter is talking about is how to present yourself and how to be in the world. The best business book I've read this year.
Adrian Vaco
Dec 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
I liked the book overall, but I will say that between 60 and 70% of the material is what you have learned in your college speech class. There is a 20 to 30% material that is really good advice and then there are the stories of the great pitches that make the whole book worth your while.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Getting to Plan B: Breaking Through to a Better Business Model
  • Perfect Pitch: The Art of Selling Ideas and Winning New Business
  • Adland: Searching for the Meaning of Life on a Branded Planet
  • The Anatomy of Buzz Revisited: Real-life lessons in Word-of-Mouth Marketing
  • Creating Customer Evangelists
  • Hey, Whipple, Squeeze This: A Guide to Creating Great Ads
  • Brand Media Strategy: Integrated Communications Planning in the Digital Era
  • Be a Sales Superstar: 21 Great Ways to Sell More, Faster, Easier in Tough Markets
  • Working for Yourself: Law & Taxes for Independent Contractors, Freelancers & Consultants
  • Ctrl Alt Delete: Reboot Your Business. Reboot Your Life. Your Future Depends on It.
  • Triggers: 30 Sales Tools you can use to Control the Mind of your Prospect to Motivate, Influence and Persuade.
  • Street Smarts: An All-Purpose Tool Kit for Entrepreneurs
  • Likeable Business: Why Today's Consumers Demand More and How Leaders Can Deliver
  • Geekonomics: The Real Cost of Insecure Software
  • Tilt: Shifting Your Strategy from Products to Customers
  • Agile!: The Good, the Hype and the Ugly
  • The Success of Open Source
  • The Best Damn Sales Book Ever: 16 Rock-Solid Rules for Achieving Sales Success!
“things—Feeling Safe, Being Right, Feeling Good, and Looking Good. If any of these conditions are challenged, we become fearful.” 1 likes
“But it’s not because we’re afraid to fail. It’s because we’re afraid that we’ll succeed. That is what truly terrifies us.” 1 likes