Start by marking “Ordained Irreverence (Elmo Jenkins #1)” as Want to Read:
Ordained Irreverence (Elmo Jenkins #1)

Ordained Irreverence (Elmo Jenkins #1)

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  1,247 Ratings  ·  170 Reviews
Ordained Irreverence is a very funny novel about a young church intern named Elmo Jenkins who's learning the ropes in a big downtown church. It's loaded with humorous, awkward, and even touching stories, many of which were inspired by the author's own experiences. The cast of characters filling the pews at First Church keep Elmo on his toes and more than a little bewildere ...more
Published August 1st 2011 by OBT Bookz

To ask other readers questions about Ordained Irreverence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ordained Irreverence

Heidi Peltier
Jul 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Oh my goodness! This book was so much fun to read! It's all about a graduating seminary student, Elmo Jenkins, and his final step toward finishing his education - the internship. A chance meeting lands him a position in one of those big, almost mega-churches where there's a minister for everything from youth to seniors to dust bunnies (ok, not really). Elmo encounters just about every glitch you can think of that a minister might have and more! And he handles it in true Elmo style, but you can o ...more
Barbara
Jun 21, 2013 rated it liked it
This is a cute book to read in small spurts. There is no strong plot line that you might forget if you put the book down for awhile. But it is an interesting read into the inner workings of a large church. I liked the way the author made the main character seem very real. Many ministers-in-the making may come across as very righteous. Not Elmo. He's very down to earth and amusing. I'm sure there's a lot of truth to what is written here, but don't take it too seriously. It's a good, fun book. I g ...more
David Kemp
Mar 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Actually I have not read this book: I listened to it. Sonja read it to me during our recent vacation travels. We both enjoyed it very much. Matter of fact, we enjoyed it so much that we brought the second book in the series and Sonja has started reading it to me. I recommend "Elmo's adventures" to anyone and especially those that are involved in fulltime ministry.
Deb Brammer
Feb 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Elmo Jenkins takes a 6-month internship on the pastoral staff of a very large church (over 3000.) I'm always on the lookout for books about ministry. This one is funny and sometimes ministry is funny. Even more rare than books on ministry is ministry books in which the pastor is not involved in moral failure. This book was one of the rare books that didn't deal with moral failure, and I like that about it. "Ordained Irreverence" was a good title for it. It contained a lot of slightly coarse lang ...more
Bill Tillman
This is an endearing book, its full of fact as well as fiction. The Black Toe mystery is one fantastic subplot worth not missing. Hard to put down with gentle humor and the life of a big church.
Norma Budden
Feb 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
I read this book in stages. It was the type of book I could relax and enjoy without feeling I needed to read it all in one sitting.

The book was written in episodes, detailing a pastor's life in a big church, and the people and situations he encountered along the way. I laughed a lot at the author's sense of humor, as told from the perspective of the major character, Elmo Jenkins. It was a refreshing read and is great for when you want to read but don't want to worry about losing precious hours
L.T. Fawkes
Aug 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
McMillan Moody, $2.99 **** Guess what. You can be funny and entertaining without getting dirty. Moody does it in this terrific novel about a young pre-minister who gets his first job working as an intern in a big, prestigious church. Filled with funny characters and anecdotes.

Guess what else. You can talk about matters like faith and church without getting pompous, strident, or bombastic. Moody makes it look easy.

Guess what else. I think that's the first time I've ever actually used the word b
John
Jan 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Well this book surprised me. I don't remember when I got this, but I was under the impression it was a humorous Christian detective story.

Non-spoiler: It's not.

Elmo is a seminary student doing an internship, and these are some of the experiences he had doing so. I really enjoyed it. The author doesn't veer to either extreme in showing life at a church made of real imperfect people.

I'll definitely be picking up book two.
David
Mar 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
I picked this up as a freebie on Amazon for Kindle. I am very thankful I did, it is a great story about a third year seminarian doing a 6 month internship at a Mega-Church. Well written, good character development and a fun story. The ministry incidents are great and anyone in ministry will find themselves laughing remembering their first time encountering some of the same things
Sadie
This is a pretty decent story with some humorous moments. I did start to lose interest near the end, and I didn't really appreciate every single loose end that needed to be taken care of happened in the last scene of the book. I felt the author made a list of all the loose ends and then just marked them off as he wrote about each one. It felt off. There are also some moments that should be somewhat emotional, but they never went deep enough. The story felt more like journal entries and so any em ...more
Lynn Smith
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an excellent book to read! I only knew about it because of BookBub and if was offered free, so I thought, well the price is right and if I don't like it I haven't lost anything. I will likely continue reading the series because I enjoyed this so much. It tells the story of Elmo Jenkins who is about to graduate from seminary and his last task before graduation is an internship at a mega-church. The stories told are delightful, true to life, and filled with humor and wisdom. I'm usually n ...more
Charles  van Buren
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining and mildly funny, July 4, 2017

Verified Purchase(What's this?)

This review is from: Ordained Irreverence (Elmo Jenkins Book One) (Kindle Edition)

An entertaining and mildly humorous account of a young seminary student beginning his ministry by interning at a large, established, socially prominent First Church, presumably Baptist. If you belong to such a church you will see similarities to your church. Not laugh out loud funny but an interesting insider's view. Nothing scandalous but fu
Chanover55
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An entertaining look at life at in the church from the viewpoint of seminarian Ellington Jenkins as he embarks on his last requirement before graduation, a church intership. For those of us in full time Christian ministry or married to the minister, this will bring back many memories you may have forgotten or that we all go through. Not many of us work in churches where the annual budget tops $11 million but some of things he gets into...take a walk down memory lane or relax on a rainy day with ...more
Helen
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
E-Reader Chrstian Fiction

Elmo Jenkins at Harvest Morgan Seminary in his final year.  He takes the intern position for six months at First Church.  The richest church in the city.  His office is a closet with table and metal chair on the second floor.

He truly is  man of God.  You will laugh at his humor and thoughts at times.  But he is dedicated to do the best can.  The people of First Church become a family to him.

This book can be a life changing book.  It's an excellent read.  I hope you enjoy
Erika
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Funny but filed with golden nuggets

What a delightfully funny book! As a longtime Christian whose father was a music pastor, I could completely relate to the funny happenings that Elmo experienced on his journey. His wit made me laugh out loud a couple of times while his message was subtly entwined within the plot. Very enjoyable lighthearted work of Christian fiction that didn’t disappoint!
michele thompson
A Funny Take on Church Life.

It was easy to get attached to Elmo. His storytelling on his day to day life was hard to put down. I couldn't help chuckling through many of his quips, foibles and his humorous outlook on things.

This novel is not a self righteous nor preachy book. I was actually pleasantly surprised that the author showed the imperfect side to church life and didn't try to cover it up with sanctimonious drivel.
Keith Beasley-Topliffe
A lighthearted look at a seminarian's internship at a big downtown church. Elmo Jenkins gets a chance to use every skill he has and to plunge into all aspects of pastoral ministry. And find the woman of his dreams along the way. There are at least five more books in this series. I'm looking forward to reading them. I only served small churches as pastor, so it's interesting to get even a fictional version of how the other 1% live.
Jeryl Smith
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Pastor Elmo Jenkins

This book was so entertaining by the cast of characters & the situations they find themselves in! Not only did I laugh but I found myself deep in thought about church growth! Elmo is loveable & you get to experience his transformation throughout the book. I plan to purchase the entire 6 book series!
Terri Weitze
Jan 03, 2017 rated it liked it
I was hoping for a much funnier book. This is cute and a very easy read, and fine for any age because it is kind of like reading a church bulletin, but more detail and probably more gossip. You often hear that a book needs some kind of conflict to move the story along. This book has little to no conflict whatsoever. It's part of a series, and I will not be venturing any further into it.
michael smith
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best read

This has been book in a very long time.
I've been a believer since I was 21 & I am now 55.
Relating to all the characters and scenarios, as I've been in various parts of ministry. It made me laugh, remember & look forward.
Written with much care and wonderful relationships.
Carol Caldwell
Jul 08, 2017 rated it liked it
This was an interesting story, kind of like a journal of a young man's internship at a large church after he finishes seminary. It includes tales of the various people he meets and works with, including a young woman. The story question is whether the church decides to hire him after the internship is over, especially after he makes some interesting bloopers.
Linda Kay Orpet
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it!

It is laugh-out-loud funny without being ridiculous. It has a little romance without being unrealistic. There are wonderful helpful words about decisions and expectations for a Christian. The Message of salvation is presented without being heavy handed or pushy. A very refreshing read!
Sandy Holmes
This book was a hoot! I roared with laughter at one scene. It is not "one of the best books" I have ever read but definitely an enjoyable, light read. Elmo does make some very acute observations about the running of a large church.
Sherrie
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a fun read! The author achieves a very nice balance between humor and biblical truths, never becoming "preachy" and demonstrating how even pastors are human. I'm looking forward to reading the entire series.
Jeff Benham
Oct 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Not a lot of action, but plenty of humor. Often time hilarious. There is a mystery to solve, though, The Black Toe Enigma, or TBT for short. Someone has been leaving notes around the church for years and years. Elmo is determined to solve the puzzle during his internship. Very enjoyable read.
John Guenzler
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Intriguing book, hard to put down.

I feel like this book has a little bit of everything. A little mystery, a little humor, a little love, a little romance, and a little religion. I thoroughly enjoyed the read and will be looking for more.
Suzanne
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. There were some laugh out loud moments in it, which I wasn't expecting for some reason, but I was pleasantly surprised. It was a good story that was well-told, and I found the characters to be very relatable. I think I just found a new series to read!

Alice Tallent
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mixed Bag

If you are a fan of satire, and if you were brought up in and around the church and its ministries, this is the book for you. I laughed, cringed, and cried in response to Elmo's experiences.
Bendy
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Becoming an adult

Elmo had some growing ahead. He learned to trust and to be an instrument when necessary. Some things were funny and others were very meaningful. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Looking forward to the next book.
Wren
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very light reading, but a fun inspiring series to read at the beach!
  • Runaway Choices
  • I Shall Not Want (The Psalm 23 Mysteries, #2)
  • The Search Committee
  • The Glory of Green (Green #3)
  • Crispens Point
  • The Narrow Path
  • Game Plan for Life: Your Personal Playbook for Success
  • Strike the Match (The Teacup Novellas, #2)
  • Infinitely More
  • Seeker of Stars
  • The Master's Wall (Iron & the Stone #1)
  • Echoes of Pemberley
  • Glorious Mess: Encountering God's Relentless Grace for Imperfect People
  • Hazardous Duty (Squeaky Clean Mysteries #1)
  • When Camels Fly
  • Blame It On The Mistletoe (Bright's Pond #4)
  • Watermelon Days and Firefly Nights: Heartwarming Scenes from Small Town Life
  • Highland Sanctuary (Highlands #2)
McMillian Moody lives quietly, in the rolling hills of central Tennessee with his wife, celebrated author Diane Moody, and Darby the wonder dog.
More about McMillian Moody

Elmo Jenkins (7 books)
  • Some Things Never Change (Elmo Jenkins #2)
  • The Old Man and the Tea (Elmo Jenkins, #3)
  • A Tale of Two Elmos (Elmo Jenkins #4)
  • A Time 4 Friends (Elmo Jenkins #5)
  • Hearts on Fire (Elmo Jenkins #6)
  • 7 Craggie Hope Road (Elmo Jenkins - Book Seven)

Fiction Deals

• The Falls (P.S.)
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pieces
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Held Captive (A Lone Star Hero's Love Story)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Girl Who Came Home
    $11.99 $1.99
  • When Jesus Wept (The Jerusalem Chronicles, #1)
  • In the Name of the Family
    $15.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth Avenue Artists Society
  • All That's Left of Me
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Celestine Prophecy (Celestine Prophecy, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Palm Trees in the Snow
  • Mary
  • A Map of the World
    $14.99 $2.99
  • Chemistry Lessons
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)
    $3.99 $1.99
“In a well-furnished kitchen, there are not only crystal goblets and silver platters, but waste cans and compost buckets—some containers used to serve fine meals, others to take out the garbage. Become the kind of container God can use to present any and every kind of gift to his guests for their blessing.  2 Timothy 2:20-21 (MSG)” 0 likes
“sam-a-gis” 0 likes