Start by marking “The Relaxation & Stress Reduction Workbook” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Relaxation & Stres...

Martha Davis

The Relaxation & Stress Reduction Workbook

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  996 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
Each chapter of this workbook follows a practical format, including a history of the technique covered, symptom effectiveness, examples, checklist, further reading and "homework". This edition features additional techniques, up-to-date information and a new reader-friendly format.
Published 1988 by New Harbinger Publications, Inc. (first published May 1980)

To ask other readers questions about The Relaxation & Stress Reduction Workbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Relaxation & Stress Reduction Workbook

Marsha Stokes
Jan 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In my quest to find peace and relaxation in my life, overcome my anxiety problems, and cope with any lingering effects of depression, my therapist recommended this workbook. I might have given it four out of four brownie points, except, unlike the "What to Expect" books that Scott and I love so much, there wasn't much humor. I think humor makes technical reading like this just a bit more enjoyable.

As far as a resource for information goes, I really thought this book was very complete and thoroug
Totochelamouche
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"You are assertive when you stand up for your rights in such a way that the rights of others are not violated. Beyond just demanding your rights, assertiveness implies that you can: express your personal likes and interests spontaneously; talk about yourself without being self-conscious; accept compliments comfortably; disagree with someone openly; ask for clarification; and you can say no. In short, when you are an assertive person, you can be more relaxed in interpersonal situations."

"You may
Emily
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This is one of the better self-help books I've read or glanced through.

The book covers a number of stress-reduction techniques. For each technique, the book suggests what it can help with, how long it will take to learn and then a description of how to do it. At the end of each section, there is a list of further reading and where to find more resources. It's well referenced with academic studies of why the techniques work, which I really appreciated.

The book was good at introducing me to tech
Jamie
Dec 06, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book should prove to be practical and useful for me in the near future. I just didn't like a certain part about using amulets or pendulums to answer questions you might have trouble answering for yourself. A bit too esoteric for me but in the most part, this book was great.
Ames
When I first began college, I struggled to keep up with the work load of my classes. Only, it wasn't my grades that were suffering, it was my physical and mental-health.
I was recommended to take a Stress and Anxiety Management course by an advisor, and this is the workbook from that course.

I found a lot of the exercises in The Relaxation & Stress Reduction Workbook to be very helpful, and have tried to use them again on my own a few times.

This book covers a range of subjects such as:
-How t
JoAnn
Jul 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am reading this due to my current heath issues, which I am learning that could have and I think honestly were caused by stress, so far I love this book I am only a couple chapters in but it gives great detail about the body and mind and how it works to gether and how stress effects us. There are lots of hand on things to try, and do to be awear and to work on connecting your mind and body to reduce negitive stress. I am really enjoying it.

I LOVED this book it inspired me to learn more about b
Fatima
May 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a reference that you can use whenever you want to learn a new technique/method to relax.
Each chapter explains a stress reduction method.
I loved the breathing exercises in chapter 3.

I stress when I'm not busy working on something, so this "reference" helps. I randomly choose a chapter and learn about the method.

I read about 10-15% of the book.
Crystal
Dec 17, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: meditation
If you're over worked and trying to find a way to de-stress and relax, then this is not the book for you. I felt like I was going to be tested later. Each activity was overly regimented, which makes removal of thought quite challenging; when you're so busy trying to do it right you're busy thinking instead of removing thought. This book might be good for some people but I am not a fan.
Lyz
Jan 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm in the middle of some pretty intense research on anxiety and mindful meditation. This was one of a few that led me to a-ha moments. I'm not sure if it's the writing or the fact that it's the right time for me to be reading this---I enjoyed it nonetheless and expect I will come back to it again in the future.
Tabitha
If you have ever struggled with anxiety, depression, agoraphobia, anger, time management, or other assorted concerns, this book is worth a read. With techniques ranging from refuting irrational ideas to meditation, this books is quite practical and useful. It can be read pretty quickly, but I imagine that one could continue to master the techniques for several years.
Jen
Mar 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great reference tool to use when life gets hectic (these days it seems like always!!) Lots of breathing, meditation etc techniques compiled from much research. I ended up buying it. Highly recommend for anyone trying to renew and restore.
Maritza Molis
Dec 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Maya
Jul 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Maya by: Cohen
One of my textbooks for a graduate clinical methods course music and relaxation. Good introduction to the subject, appropriate for a layperson and with many interactive features to help you understand your personal context.
Sidney
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult, teaching
Although some of the material was basic and repetitive, I enjoyed perusing the chapters and focusing in on areas of interest. A helpful, easy book to turn to when dealing w/the stress of teaching (or any job).
Kristen
Jan 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, psychology
This books walks you through a number of different types of relaxation exercises, as well as addresses stressors and reducing stress. I used it for a stress management class at BYU and really liked it. Good ideas!
Aja
The best option that I have found for Relaxation Techniques (PEA class). I will be using it in future classes, although it's usefullness would be better if the students had been required to purchase it as well.
Ladybug
May 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ok, so the title seems like an oxymoron. But... lots of VERY GOOD info on relaxing... worth every penny.
Lisa
Oct 26, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had to read this for a college course. While it had useful ideas and examples I feel it wasn't flexible enough to be useful for many different types of people.
Jess
Apr 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books of this type I've come across. I use some of the exercises frequently with clients & in teaching stress management to students.
Amber Polo
Oct 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: relaxation
Though I missed the the section on making your own relaxation "tape" from earlier editions.
Julie
Jan 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Quick reference guide to relaxation techniques taylored to you. You don't have to read the whole book, just look up your symptoms and get busy on the suggested ways to reduce that kind of stress.
Elena
This was extremely helpful. The instructions were clear, concise, easy to read and practical to implement.
Solostyle
Sep 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely a life-saver... and a live-giver!
Susanna
Jul 15, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school, healing
I don't agree with any of the nutrition info they have, but other than that, the book was helpful and I learned some great things to add to my practice.
Tracy
Dec 20, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book on dealing with and managing stress in our everyday lives. Stress complicates our lives and also leads to disease. This book teaches us how to relax, breathing techniques, etc.
Theresa
Jul 24, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
lists a number of work outs and ideology that will help individuals learn to relax
Gaylene
Sep 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book had some very good information and good exercises for relaxation and stress reduction.
jen (hallowWanderer)
Read chaps 1-6, 9, 11-20
  • The Depression Workbook: A Guide for Living with Depression and Manic Depression
  • The Self-Esteem Workbook
  • Thoughts & Feelings
  • The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook
  • A Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Workbook
  • The Cognitive Behavioral Workbook for Depression: A Step-by-Step Program
  • Mind Over Mood: Change How You Feel By Changing the Way You Think
  • The Mindfulness and Acceptance Workbook for Anxiety: A Guide to Breaking Free from Anxiety, Phobias, and Worry Using Acceptance and Commitment Therapy
  • The PTSD Workbook: Simple, Effective Techniques for Overcoming Traumatic Stress Symptoms
  • Don't Let Your Emotions Run Your Life: How Dialectical Behavior Therapy Can Put You in Control
  • The Post-College Guide to Happiness
  • Answers to Distraction
  • The Complete Adult Psychotherapy Treatment Planner
  • The Don't Sweat the Small Stuff Workbook: Exercises, Questions, and Self-Tests to Help You Keep the Little Things from Taking Over Your Life
  • A Gentle Path Through the Twelve Steps: The Classic Guide for All People in the Process of Recovery
  • Fundamentals of Abnormal Psychology [with CD-ROM]
  • Stick Up for Yourself!: Every Kid's Guide to Personal Power and Positive Self-Esteem
  • The Relaxation Response

$2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $10.99 $1.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
    $9.99 $1.99
    $8.49 $2.99
  • Dharma Punx: A Memoir
    $11.49 $1.99
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Queens Consort: England's Medieval Queens from Eleanor of Aquitaine to Elizabeth of York
    $9.99 $1.99
“You act in certain ways because you have certain thoughts that over your lifetime have become habitual. Habitual patterns of thought and perception will begin to lose their influence over your life once you become aware of them.” 0 likes