Start by marking “The Black-Eyed Susan” as Want to Read:
The Black-Eyed Susan

The Black-Eyed Susan (On Dark Shores 0.3)

3.25  ·  Rating details ·  20 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
A short story from the world of the "On Dark Shores" fantasy series.

Ten years before the action in that novel, a ship's captain goes to Scarlock to see the moneylender Copeland, pleading for more time to pay off his debt.

1.5k words
ebook, Short story, 8 pages
Published September 2012 by Weasel Green Press (first published September 2nd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Black-Eyed Susan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Black-Eyed Susan

Amy
Sep 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
If you have read, On the Shores: The Lady, then you will want to pic this up and get a bit of the inside scoop on the nastiest nasty in town.

If you have not yet read On the Shores, this bit of background reading will be just enough for you to want to rush to find out the rest of the story.

TC
Sep 22, 2011 rated it liked it
This short story is set 10 years before the saga picks up in the first book in the series, The Lady. The Captain of the Black-Eyed Susan is in debt to moneylender Copeland, who has set up events to ensure the Captain will be unable to pay on time. Copeland has seen the moneymaking potential of the ship and has no qualms about destroying the Captain and his son's lives.

This is a short piece but written in the same descriptive style, well edited and formatted, providing more of a background to th
Jenn
Sep 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
The Black Eyed Susan serves as a prequel to On Dark Shores and takes place ten years before.
The Captain of the ship goes to see Copeland about getting more time to pay off his loan.
If you have read On Dark Shores, then Parallels The Black Eyed Susan is definitely a must read.
JA gives you a little glimpse of what exactly called some of the events to take place and offers up the motive of reason for one character in On Dark Shores who is seemingly about to strike against the dastardly Copeland!
She
Sheila
Apr 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
J.A. Clement’s short story serves as a prequel to the On Dark Shores series and paints a vivid picture of sailing ships, land and sea at a certain time in imagination / history. A scheming money-lender enjoys the fruits of his “labors” but the enemy he makes might turn out much stronger than he seems. I long to see someone get the better of this schemer and hope the longer volume—On Dark Shores, the Lady—will bring him closer to his downfall.

The story’s short. The writing’s smooth. Scene-setting
Bethany
Sep 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Short stories aren't normally my thing, but I jumped at the chance to review this one. I enjoy Clement's way with description, and was curious to find out more about the villainous Copeland introduced to us in On Dark Shores: The Lady. As in the novel, this short story is told through a kaleidoscope of viewpoints, each scene showing us a fresh perspective on the action.

Overall, this short little story is a wonderful sampling of Clement's style, and definitely worth checking out if you enjoy dark
Katy
Sep 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone enjoys a good story
Recommended to Katy by: JA Clement
Shelves: ebook
A short story from the On Dark Shores series, this is set about 10 years prior to the events of “The Lady” and relates the story behind Captain Vance and his problem with Copeland, the antagonist of “The Lady” and unofficial ruler of his town.

Clement has a great style that is easy to read and evocative. If you have not experienced these stories yet, check out “Parallels – The Black-Eyed Susan” and “On Dark Shores: The Lady” as soon as you can! Highly recommended.
Fred Tyre
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
The Black-Eyed Susan by J.A. Clement was a decent story, but the instant I started connecting to the story and its characters it was over. I assume that the point is to get people to buy the rest of her series at some point, but there needed to be a lot more meat on the bones. Someone else had a point when they said it could be used as a prologue. Except, it would still need more details added in just to fill that role. It was free, but I'm not sure it was worth the effort of getting it. It migh ...more
David King
Jul 01, 2012 rated it liked it
“The Black-Eyed Susan” is a short story that serves as a prequel to JA Clement’s “On Dark Shores” series. I decided to read this short story as I have enjoyed the series so far and I did have some time to waste as I wait for the 3rd book in the series to be written.

The story is set ten years prior to the events contained within the first book in the series and it details the meeting between the Captain of a ship called the Black-Eyed Susan and a moneylender known as Copeland. Basically, Copeland
J.
Sep 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
This short story is less a stand-alone plotline and more a prologue for the first novel in a series.

[SPOILER ALERT]
For those who've read the other work, this was probably a good story, as it shows how a young man (likely the novel's main character) grew to despise a criminal money lender. But there's not enough depth in the H (in this short story, at least) to pull me in. He only appears in the last few pages, not enough to make me want to read the next book.

Perhaps if the entire short had been
Lynxie
This is a very short tale about the owner of a cargo ship 'The Black-Eyed Susan' who runs into trouble with money lenders.

There's not a great deal of characterisation to go on, but I feel like a solid story could be made about The Black-Eyed Susan and its crew. Which I'm happy to say is just what J.A. Clement has done. This is book #0.3 of the On Dark Shores series. I have already read On Dark Shores: The Lady.

The emotional impact was missing from this, but I suppose it can be very difficult to
A.F.
Dec 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-books, own
Parallels: The Black-Eyed Susan by JA Clement is a quick and satisfying taste of her world of On Dark Shores. It is a great standalone story, but also gives a bit more depth to some of the events in On Dark Shores 1: The Lady.
For those who have read her ongoing book series, this story has familiar characters, some new ones and that same rich setting and prose that makes her work such a treat (plus it serves to feed reader’s appetites while we wait patiently for the next book). For those who are
Pat
Sep 05, 2011
Lise
Apr 20, 2013
J.A. Clement
Sep 03, 2011 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Yvonne
Igrowastreesgrow
Apr 24, 2017
Marrie McPhaul
May 03, 2017
J.A. Clement lives near London with her partner and a sneaky but handsome lurcher with a predilection for gingerbread. She writes her fantasy series "On Dark Shores" whenever she can, mostly in her lunch hour (which probably explains the excessive number of bacon sandwiches that have to be edited out later).

The main series is accompanied by the 'Parallels' series which features other stories set i
More about J.A. Clement...

On Dark Shores (2 books)