Start by marking “The Shadow of the Lynx” as Want to Read:
The Shadow of the Lynx

The Shadow of the Lynx

Nora Tamsin was fascinated by the ruthless Charles Herrick, but she discovered that he deserved his name "The Lynx". His love for her was overwhelming and frightening. By the time she realized that his plan for her was part of his obsessive desire for revenge, it seemed too late to escape.
Published June 1st 1971 by Doubleday (first published January 1971)

To ask other readers questions about The Shadow of the Lynx, please sign up.

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
The Shadow of the Lynx is one of the four Victoria Holt novels that I picked up in an omnibus volume the other day. I stayed up way too late the other night paging through this one. It's kind of interesting but repelling. Published in 1971, this was later days for Victoria Holt, when I imagine she was tired of writing governess-marries-the-lord-of-the-manor stories. But this is not a romance so much as it is a story of obsession and revenge.

Set in Victorian England and Australia, this tells the
Antigone
Apr 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Adolescence is a nightmare.

And no one warns you.

Nobody sits you down and tells you: Hey, listen, one of these days your body is going to start dumping a seriously overwhelming amount of chemicals into your system - testosterone, estrogen, pheromones, and other assorted hormonal junk that's going to wind up doing a real number on you. Mysterious drives are going to start engaging and the level of your emotional sensitivity will ratchet up about a thousand percent. There's going to be a lot of sha
Naksed
The most interesting thing about this book was its title. DNF at the halfway mark.
Heather Stanwick
Dec 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
This book is special to me because it was the first book I got to read out of the Adult section of the library.
Chon
Aug 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I have a small collection of historical romance that I like to reread every now and then. This is an extremely good read. It paints a graphic picture of the lifestyle and complicated personalities of the characters and does not have a typical ending. It's a romance without the graphic bedroom scenes.
Rebecca McNutt
May 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance, fiction
This book looked kind of interesting at first, but it soon turned out to be just a repetitive romance novel. I thought it was a mystery novel (I usually don't read romance books), and I just found it really predictable and dull.
William
Apr 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Victoria Holt was a master of the brisk romantic suspense novel, usually historic and always with gothic elements, although in her novels these were never supernatural, unlike many of the other novelists of her day. "The Shadow of the Lynx" is both similar and different than her other works. It is one of the first to have much of its action taking place in Australia, which would become a favorite setting for many of her novels. It contains all of her trademark sparring dialogue between character ...more
Misfit
Jun 05, 2009 rated it liked it
Thomas Tamasin spends his life chasing rainbows and leaves his daughter Nora firmly ensconced at school as he chases the biggest one of all and heads for the gold fields of Australia. He soon dies and leaves Nora in the care partner/employer Charles Herrick - also known as The Lynx for his dominating personality. Charles's son Stirling arrives in England to escort Nora to Australia, but they make a curious stop at a country estate called The Whiteladies (named for the nunnery it had been at one ...more
Bruno
I forgot about the details about this book, but I remember the plot and a quote that gives me a chill, even today: You've spent your life preparing revenge. You should've spent it searching for happiness.
These two lines summarize the tragic life, under difficult circumstances. It's quite shocking how influential the main male protagonist is, when his ideas are passed to his heir and then to a woman he's been fond of. The revenge he seeks is a payment for a hurtful pride and prejudice towards him
Wei Cho
Feb 05, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
When I was dusting off my bookshelf, I found this book, a book I read oh so long time ago that I barely remember the plot or the characters. Which means that this book wasn't memorable at all. But as I read the blurb at the back of the book, strange remembrance started creeping into my memory and I started "feeling" what I felt when I first read this book.

It was bizarre. The story was a romance story, and I liked the protagonist, but didn't like the love triangle she fell into by falling in love
Amber Newberry
Aug 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: influences
Fantastic example of why I love Victoria Holt's work. The story takes you across the world and is filled with mystery and adventure and at it's heart is a story of love and revenge. What more could you ask for?

The plot revolves around, first, young Nora who is embarking on a life-changing journey to Australia to be with her ward, a man she has never met. Nora's father left her in the care of a complete stranger who sends only his son to usher her back to her new home. Before they begin their tr
Anna Karras
Jan 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is my second Victoria Holt, and I don't think it was as good as the Landower Legacy. It focuses on Nora, a young woman who only has her father, and he dies in Australia hunting for gold while she is at finishing school. She is then sent to his partner in Australia, who will be her guardian. The man goes by the name Lynx, because he is a powerful, magnetic man, with the hypnotic eyes of a lynx. And even though he is her father's age, he becomes interested in her, and asks her to marry him, e ...more
Swathi
Oct 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Another personal favourite of mine. This novel was a marked departure from the usual Holt style of writing. The heroine itself is very different from previous holt heroines very spirited and plucky and the location Australia comes alive in this book. Also there is more of sexual content in this book than any of her other novels. The ending may not be the one u might expect. I love this book and never grow tired of reading this one.
Vicki Noakes
Mar 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As with all Victoria Holt's books, there was a lot of mysterious goings on. Very good read and I have yet to be disappointed in any of her books I've read so far. I think I've almost all of them, but know there are a few that I haven't read yet and look forward to reading them also. My goal is to have each and every Victoria Holt book published.
Lisa Buie-Collard
Feb 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Victoria Holt is a very good writer. I was drawn into the characters immediately and enjoyed this novel. It wasn't a "typical" romance. I don't think she ever wrote a typical romance! I like reading her because she writes character driven stories and I like those the best. I recommend this to those who like drama and romance, but not the typical type.
Neja
Dec 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: my-childhood
Books written by Victoria Holt are so cheesy, but sometimes that's exactly what you need. I've read a loooot of her books when I was 14/15 years old..that was the last time I've read them. I absolutely loved them at the time. I'm thinking of reading one of her books just for the old times sake! =)
Nancy
Mar 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
I read all of Victoria Holt mystery/romance books in my 30s. Holt books are a higher caliber of romance fiction than something like Harlequins. Historically accurate. Good recreational reading with something to keep you turning pages.
Jeremy Wood
Jun 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
not big on love stories, but this one wasn't too bad. It spoke to the control a woman has over herself and her intimate involvements without being gaudy or crass(it IS based in the 19th century). It even had a realistic ending without a ot of tooth-aching saccharine.
Karen
Sep 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
One of Victoria's best
Partridge Public
Holt, Victoria
Tina
Apr 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I've read pretty much all of Victoria Holt's work. This was one of the first I read and the motivation behind choosing the next. Absolutely loved this storyline! A real page turner.
Jeanne
Jan 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faves
i've read this book over and over and over. my mom, sisters, grandma, husband, friends, etc. have all borrowed and read it over and over too. one of the best books ever... and i've read thousands...
Deborah
May 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
See Mistress of Mellyn.
Linda Mercer
Dec 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic tale with history woven skillfully into the novel.
Susan
Jan 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
I have read a few of Victoria Holt's books in the past - this one had an edge to it. Was quite good and made me want to know what was going to happen, so it kept my attention.
debbicat ☮~Traveling Sister
I read it on HS. I liked it on HS. Now I don't know. I plan to give this a reread. ;)
Ali
Dec 27, 2013 added it
It wasn't a story of romance, it was a story of lost romance.
Anne Marie
Feb 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Helen Carolan
Oct 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Regressing to my teenage years and re-reading an old favourite. I loved Ms Holt back in the day and while it was nice giving her a go again I'm not sure I'd want to re-read any of her other books. While I've fallen in love with all things Gothic I found this one just a bit silly. An o.k read but nothing special.
Priya
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
« previous 1 3 next »

• Sea Jade
  • The Love Child (Daughters of England #6)
  • Ravenscroft

Eleanor Alice Burford, Mrs. George Percival Hibbert was a British author of about 200 historical novels, most of them under the pen name Jean Plaidy which had sold 14 million copies by the time of her death. She chose to use various names because of the differences in subjec
“I wanted to learn more of love- that is built not on the shifting sands of violent passion but on the steady rock of deep and abiding affection.” 36 likes
“Do you know, when I stepped through that gate I felt as though I had walked into a new world...something quite different from anything I had known before. I felt that something tremendously dramatic was happening and because it was all so quiet and in a way ordinary that made it rather sinister.” 0 likes