Start by marking “Orwell's Australia: From Cold War to Culture Wars” as Want to Read:
Orwell's Australia: From Cold War to Culture Wars

Orwell's Australia: From Cold War to Culture Wars

3.22  ·  Rating details ·  9 Ratings  ·  3 Reviews
George Orwell has had an astounding influence on Australian politics. Today, 100 years after his birth, his relevance is growing rather than diminishing. Orwell's insights and values represent a challenge and opportunity for the Australian left - they need to reclaim Orwell for Australia's good.
Published April 1st 2004 by Scribe Publications Pty Ltd.

To ask other readers questions about Orwell's Australia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Orwell's Australia

S'hi
After spending four hours relabelling books and re-shelving them at Prahran Mechanics Institute, I come away with another 15 to read. Of these I begin with Orwell’s Australia.
In the author’s biography I find reference to Glenn Patmore as a co-editor of New Voices for Social Democracy. I read the first couple of pages of the introduction and am already revisiting old territory and the edges of conversations I could not acceptably relate to. The continuing sense I have that the world presents itse
Daniel Carr
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
Illuminated Orwell's fiercely social democratic side and belief in state aid for the poor. It was interesting to see Orwell beyond the frame of his anti-communist and anti-fascist stance. Had some very good points around how detached many of the 'elite' on both the left and right have come with respect to many Australians on the lower end of the income ladder, and how Orwell spent time trying to bridge this distance and the political insights this gave him. Ultimately Glover is far too enamored ...more
Joshua
Sep 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A short and fantastic book. Granted, it strikes an already very firmly rooted political nerve with me, but Glover beautifully summarised why I am staunchly labor. It was written during Howards extensive tenure as Prime Minster when the central left was unable to organise itself or gain a foothold, however the ideas are echoed today with the Australian swing towards conservatism (fueled by disenchantment with the current Government/the misplaced mindset that somehow they are personally entitled).
Mike Blanchard
rated it did not like it
Jun 15, 2015