Start by marking “Fryktens tidevann (Vampirater #2)” as Want to Read:
Fryktens tidevann (Vampirater  #2)

Fryktens tidevann (Vampirates #2)

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  4,983 Ratings  ·  188 Reviews
Connor er fjorten år, og livet som pirat passer ham som hånd i hanske. Men kan han være lojal mot både søsteren og skipskameratene?

Grace er ikke begeistret for privatlivet. Hun har en ekkel følelse av at noe ikke er som det skal på vampyrskipet hun har forlatt. Men våger hun å vende tilbake?
Paperback, 2nd edition, 499 pages
Published 2007 by Gyldendal (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Fryktens tidevann, please sign up.

Patti Yes. The first chapter is strobe if you haven't read the first book in awhile. After that it grips you and throws you right into the life of pirates!

Totoro
Jul 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-really-want
when you expect too much you're often disappointed, as i was for most of the book. the second book of the vampirates series was .... nice.
if i wanted to make it into three parts they'd be these: the academy, Grace's moral dilemmas , cool piratey or vampiratey stuff.
first of all the academy....oh so boring. nothing cool or even interesting about that, and i really hope the writer has some great ideas about Grace's spiritual experiences (the cover was cool though).
the second part, Grace's moral di
An Odd1
Dec 03, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Suspense - a night surfer, inhuman, vampire Sidorio refuses to curb appetites, thrown off by Vampirate Captain Drakoulis. Crewmate twins 14, Grace wants to return for blinded vampirate Lorcan who rescued her from drowning, free Connor from life-binding articles to their Captain Molucco and study at the Pirate Academy. But the faculty are not as kind and honest as they seem, especially former ship deputy Cheng Li, suspiciously eager to be her confidante and choreograph Connor's sword fight demons ...more
MayDerp
Feb 13, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any previous Vampirate lovers
Wolf (Alpha)
Mar 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. I hate how Sidorio made a crew for himself and how he is planning on wiping the other Vampirates out. I like how Grace is willing to stay behind, no matter the danger, to save Lorcan’s sight. I like how Connor wants to take a break from the pirates and go to the Pirate Academy. I don’t like how Grace is always going and throwing herself into danger. I like how she finds the Vampirates again and how the two of them stay with the people who saved them.
Elizabeth *Swords for Fighting*
Tide of Terror, the second book in the Vampirates series is a thrilling ride full a more pirates, action, adventure, betrayals, and more! For me, it was fast paced. Best of all, there was a little more about the vampirates although I would have liked to see more (and that is what the sequels are for).

Connor and Grace were together for the most part in this book, but you can see that they are destined for different paths. Connor wants to be a pirate. In fact, he excels at everything pirate relate
Zack Zocchi
Aug 31, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Twins Connor and Grace have been reunited after their separation, and are both staying on The Diablo, but after a turn of events Grace worries for Connors safety and asks him to take a visit to the Pirate Academy. The Academy is not like any other school, and Connor loves it; however, Grace is no longer enjoying it. Connor is considering becoming a full time student while Grace is trying to get back on the vampirate ship. All the while more people are leaving the Vampirate ship, and Sidorio is m ...more
Coco Pacheco
Sep 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Vampirates (Tides of Terror) was written by Justin Somper. This sequel to Vampirates (Demons of the Ocean) was published in June of 2007. These books are apart of a fantastic realistic fantasy series. In the book you meet the main characters Connor and Grace who are brother and sister. Many other important characters come in to play throughout the series, but in this book the story is centered around Connor and Grace. The majority of the book takes place at the Pirate Academy, which essentially ...more
Indee
May 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Vampirates: Tide of Terror is the 2nd book in the Vampirates series. It follows the story of twins Grace and Connor Tempest after they are united at the end of Vampirates: Demons of the Ocean. The Vampirates series takes place in the year 2512, in the future when massive floods (due to global warming?) have changed our world. I really love this book! Could not put it down! This story starts at first on the Diablo and then continues on to the Pirate Academy, with some "trips" to the Vampirate shi ...more
gina
I *really* liked this one! I felt the pace was a lot faster than the first book. To me the first book had an almost childrens storybook fairy tale feeling to it but this one had more of a fantasy/vampire feel to it. The character development with those at the Academy took me by surprise and I'm eager to see how everyone continues to evolve in the other books!

I notice that people seem to either hate or love this book in their reviews. I think most of that problem lies in that this book has a ver
Glaurung
Mar 24, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crap
If you are looking for som real crap, you should read this. It got to be the worst book I`ve ever read! Siriosly, I can`t see how people can actually earn mony by writing this stuff. The whole plot is extremly childish and patethic. A pirate school? This book is the result you`ll get if you mix Harry Potter, Twilight and pirates of the Carribean. Yes. It is vampire-pirates (or what they call them in the book: vampirates) at a pirate school.
They are, as in Pirates of the Carribean, presenting the
Mello
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a little slow going at first, because we had to back track and make sure we knew where we are at in the story (which is a good idea if it's been a while since you've read the first book).
The character development is slow, but it's interesting to see how the characters handle what is thrown at them in this book.
The first book was better, but I am looking forward to what the third book (Blood Captain) has in store.
Nikki
Jul 19, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in reading about a series of half-developed ideas
Shelves: fantasy
This is just a testament to the fact that I lack the ability to choose a book by its cover.

10 Things I Hate about this book:

1) mixing modern slang with past times
2) oh whatever, this book doesn't deserve my few precious remaining brain cells. I hated the book and have a hard time believing anyone could become engaged in its story (if you could call it a story).
Dwain Smith
Jul 10, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This may be one of the worst things I've ever read. The pirates don't really do pirate things and the vampires don't do vampire stuff. I realize this is supposed to be geared toward "young adults" but it is overly saccharine and trite. If for some reason you are looking for a good vampirate story (I'm sure there's at least one other person out there), check out Image's Sea of Red instead.
Abbie
Jan 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vampires
i know it's a bit stupid reading the second book first but my sister bought it thinking it was the first so i read it any cause i already know what happened in the first book, back to the point this is a very good book vampires and pirates in one.
Genevieve
Apr 30, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Genevieve by: Nakaya
It was hard to get through because my favorite character was barely there but the last chapter made up for it. Ah, so good. I stopped reading it for a while because I misplaced it but just read the last 50 pages or so in one go.
Cosmogypsy Gypsy
Oct 21, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
For whatever reason, I just couldn't get into this book.
Sagar Shripal
I really just want to read this book online..!
Finnessa
This is a review for the first and second book.

HERE THERE BE SPOILERS...........

So the first one was ok, maybe two and half stars. To make things easy, I'll do a pros and cons list.

Book one pros:
1) The shanty, I thought that was pretty cool.
2) Lorcan. Can't deny that dark hair, blue eyes and Irish accents are some of my weaknesses.
3) The idea of vampire pirates, though the combo of names came across as childish.
Honestly, I'm having trouble coming up with more.

Book one cons:
1) So it's set in th
Nick G
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ahmad
Sep 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This Book tells a story about Grace wanting to help her Friend Lorcan Due to some revolts in the vampirate ship while also worrying about her brother, Connor, from danger and not end up like Connor's friend Jez. While Sidorio (a vampire who revolted against the captain in the vampire ship) wants revenge. This book is fun to read at first but after a few chapters the story became like some kind of high school drama. But so far this book is descriptive and hooks you in to read if you're a pirate s ...more
Gena Lott
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A good second book in the series. Very interesting ideas about vampire life.
Some of the chapters about "The Academy" remind me a little of Hogwarts.
And I've gotten a little confused about the time this book is supposed to happen. Some of the slang and colloquialisms are so modern that it was like constantly being brought back to the present when in my mind, this really seemed like it should be happening in another period.
Junior High or older readers.
Aiden Pircher
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This books is one that always leaves cliffhangers and is never to boring to read. Connor continues his journey and goes through emotional pains and has trouble to find where his loyalty are. Grace continues to try and get to the vampirate ship but has many difficulties finding it. Justin Somber is marvelous at makeing this book even better than the first and I can't wait to read the rest of the series.
Allison
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It took me a bit to finish because I kept getting tired (pregnancy can do a number on you) but I loved this book I can't wait to get started on Vampirates: Blood captain. And see what happens to the Tempest Twins Connor and Grace. Will they cross paths again? Or remain separated? Or will Grace visit him spiritually??? Can't wait to find out but first I'mma take a Nap. This lil boy can't come soon enough Friday is the day!!!
Gina
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very awesome and spellbinding book
Rebecca
Let it be known that this was the book that made me hang up the towel and stop reading books in the Vampirates franchise. I knew in my gut that they were only going to get worse from here on out.

The Vampirates novels as a whole feel like a lot of different ideas haphazardly glued together and molded into a story. This world takes place in the near future where a global catastrophe made water levels higher (like a certain Kevin Costner film), and yet this is only put in place to give the charact
Olivia
Jan 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sword fights, pirate ships, and vampires? The book Vampirates, Tide of Terror by Justin Somper it takes pirates and treasure to a whole new level. In the previous book, Connor and Grace are twins with a special power, to be able to almost speak to each other telepathically. Separated at sea they end up aboard two different ships, Connor ends up on the most feared pirate ship of all time while Grace is on a pirate ship with vampirates?
Nothing can keep these two apart, they sail the deadly seas
 Marla
I listened to this book to see if I would continue the series and I think the answer is negative. Nothing much happens in these books. I like the characters but there doesn't seem to be a plot. Plot = building of elements in a story to a climax and then the resolution. We just sort of wander around and cool things happen, but there isn't much point.

(view spoiler)
colleen the convivial curmudgeon
3.5

The second book of the series started off a bit slow, and I was worried that it was going to have the slump that sometimes happens after good first books - but around midway point it really started picking up, and I was pulled into the intrigue and politics and whatnot. Also, it was really cool to see the Pirate Academy and how things operate there, as well as meet some new characters I imagine will become important down the line.

On the downside: I was a bit annoyed with Connor's easily shift
Dylan Arnholt
Mar 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book "Vampirates-Tide of Terror" by Justin Somper tells the story of two twins who were previously separated but found each other again. They go to the "Pirate Academy" which is a training ground for pirates, it taught children how to fight, survive, and navigate all without any of the real dangers of the sea. Overall, I thought the book was very fun to read and a very easy read. I thought the characters in the novel were much more serious in this book than in the last book. The characters e ...more
Kim Dyer
Although not without flaws, Tide of Terror is a marked improvement on it's precursor. The fact that it is twice the length has given Somper the space that he needed to develop the human characters of his novel, giving them all far more depth of character than they displayed in Demons of the Ocean. Grace, in particular, gets to do a lot more this time round which was really nice to read.

However, the novel is noticeably padded out in the middle. Although the action is better spaced throughout the
Lorcan and Grace 3 33 Jun 29, 2014 05:15PM
movie? 4 8 Oct 17, 2012 06:50PM
Great book 1 7 Mar 01, 2012 11:15AM
  • Birth of a Killer
  • The Sword of Cortés (Pirates of the Caribbean: Jack Sparrow, #4)
  • The Great Powers Outage (The Extraordinary Adventures of Ordinary Boy, #3)
  • Kính vạn hoa (toàn tập)
  • Blodsøstre (Blodets Bånd #1)
  • The Circle of Stone (The Darkest Age, #3)
  • Verity Hart vs. the Vampyres Omnibus
  • Ritual (Vampire Beach, #3)
  • Reckoning (Bloodline, #2)
  • The Princess of Trelian (Trelian, #2)
  • Piratica: Being a Daring Tale of a Singular Girl's Adventure Upon the High Seas (Piratica, #1)
  • Vampire Kisses: Blood Relatives, Vol. 3 (Vampire Kisses: Blood Relatives, #3)
  • If I Could Fly
  • Blackwatch (Wintercraft, #2)
  • Mississippi Jack: Being an Account of the Further Waterborne Adventures of Jacky Faber, Midshipman, Fine Lady, and Lily of the West (Bloody Jack, #5)
  • The Low Road (Elf Realm, #1)
  • Ivy and the Meanstalk
Justin Somper is a bestselling UK author whose Vampirates books have been translated into over twenty languages. Justin trained in sword-fighting to help him write the fight scenes in the Vampirates series.
More about Justin Somper...

Vampirates (7 books)
  • Demons of the Ocean (Vampirates, #1)
  • Dead Deep (Vampirates, #1.5)
  • Blood Captain (Vampirates, #3)
  • Black Heart (Vampirates, #4)
  • Empire of Night (Vampirates, #5)
  • Immortal War (Vampirates, #6)
“Leave nothing but footprints,
Take nothing but memories”
18 likes