Start by marking “Reise in die Aequinoctial-Gegenden des neuen Continents;” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Reise in die Aequinoct...

Alexander von Humboldt

Reise in die Aequinoctial-Gegenden des neuen Continents;

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  118 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Alexander von Humboldt became a wholly new kind of nineteenth-century hero - the scientist-explorer - and in Personal Narrative he invented a new literary genre, the travelogue. Between 1799 and 1804 he explored the tropical Spanish Americas, by his death in 1859 he had won international fame. He was the first European to discuss, draw and speculate on Aztec art, the first ...more
Nook, 0 pages
Published by Stuttgart, Cotta (first published January 1st 1807)

Be the first to ask a question about Reise in die Aequinoctial-Gegenden des neuen Continents;

JoséMaría BlancoWhite
Feb 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
Humboldt's travelogue through Spanish America and the Canary Islands from 1799 to 1804 sound fresh and vivid. It's the closest thing to time-traveling. The author takes us to a time when practically all America south of the US border was one varied but politically unified entity. The 300 hundred years passed since colonization had barely made any difference in the way peoples and races lived on the continent. No progress either economically or socially. So the most interesting thing of this book ...more
Kirsty McCracken
Another course book done and dusted, and oddly, rather enjoyed. I picked this up thinking that it was going to be another boring scientific read, and I was pleasantly surprised. Although it may be a rather dry read, I must say that Von Humboldt's enthusiasm for everything he saw on his travels is truly felt in this book. He loves and is deeply interested in EVERYTHING - from rocks, plants, fruit, animals. 3* for the man who could do everything from geology to botany to astronomy, including paint ...more
Jordan
Sep 22, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
My opinion is probably not the best judge of this book. I have very little interest in natural history, so this book (which I read for a class) was not entertaining to me. It is interesting to analyze what must have been going through Humboldt's mind on his monumental journey, but it's a niche piece, one that didn't resonate with me as much as someone who has an interest in this sort of thing.
Gilly McGillicuddy
Alexander Von Humboldt's "Personal Narrative of A Title With Way Too Many Words". Feeling a bit cheated that it's only selections of his actual Narrative, but let's look past that for the moment. I'd expected something much along the lines of Darwin, but oh, how much more I am loving this. Not to disparage Darwin or anything, but HUMBOLDT <3! Which just makes me angrier that it's only exerpts.
Humphrey
If travel writing and natural history are your thing, Humboldt's Personal Narrative is a brisk and entertaining volume. Humboldt is a sympathetic and attentive observer of nature and human nature.
Jenny
Nov 27, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Interesting primary source but a little dry at times. Also has many racist remarks typical of the time.
Martina
Jan 29, 2017 marked it as to-be-finished-at-later-date  ·  review of another edition
I am actually reading the online version with all the footnotes, I just couldn't find it on goodreads. Hugely enjoying it and his attention to detail. This will take a while!
Beverley
Jan 31, 2011
Leez Matías
Jul 10, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • A History of Christian Missions (The Penguin History of the Church, #6)
  • Up Above the World
  • The Malay Archipelago
  • The Nigger of the Narcissus and Other Stories
  • Lapidarium
  • Granite Island: Portrait of Corsica
  • D.H. Lawrence and Italy: Twilight in Italy/Sea and Sardinia/Etruscan Places
  • The Discovery of America by the Turks
  • Testing Treatments: Better Research for Better Healthcare
  • Voyages and Discoveries: Principal Navigations, Voyages, Traffiques and Discoveries of the English Nation
  • Humboldt's Cosmos: Alexander von Humboldt and the Latin American Journey that Changed the Way We Se
  • Anatomy of Restlessness: Selected Writings, 1969-1989
  • Nietzsche in Turin: An Intimate Biography
  • Latecomers
  • Why the Dutch are Different: A Journey into the Hidden Heart of the Netherlands
  • Mémoires d'Outre-Tombe
  • The Lawless Roads
  • The Figure in the Carpet and Other Stories
Friedrich Wilhelm Heinrich Alexander Freiherr von Humboldt was a German naturalist and explorer, and the younger brother of the Prussian minister, philosopher, and linguist, Wilhelm von Humboldt (1767-1835). Humboldt's quantitative work on botanical geography was foundational to the field of biogeography.

Between 1799 and 1804, Humboldt traveled extensively in Latin America, exploring and describin
More about Alexander von Humboldt...