Start by marking “Math for Grownups ” as Want to Read:
Math for Grownups

Math for Grownups

3.63  ·  Rating details ·  119 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Published (first published June 4th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Math for Grownups, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Math for Grownups

Charles Rotblut
Aug 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you are one of those people who either never grasped math when you were younger or simply need a refresher, “Math for Grownups: Relearn the Arithmetic You Forgot from School” is a worthwhile read.

Author Laura Laing walks readers through several practical applications for math, from figuring out how much to tip to calculating the odds of winning the lottery. The scenarios vary from determining the size of your flower bed to financial related issues ( e.g., compounding returns, budgeting for re
Debbie
Jul 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish Laura Laing wrote this book back when I was going through school. In school, math was presented as a series of bland formulas, steps and procedures, painfully boring and apparently having nothing to do with everyday life. I never really knew why I should care about Pi until I read the lively explanation of installing a fish pool in Laing's book. This is just one of the numerous practical examples that make her strategies easily understood and remembered.

This book is a great read for anyo
Randy Daugherty
Sep 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Where you one of those in school who could never grasp math? Or always wondered why you needed it, you weren't going into a field that required it. Math for Grownups by Laura Laing is for you.
Laura walks the reader through everyday math, interest rates,percentages, the cost of a loan or the return on investments.
With clear and easy to understand language along with simple equations and formulas she will have you up and running in no time.
For those who struggled, those who may just need a refresh
Cindy Huskey
Aug 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Essentially, this book provides examples of common sense math using everyday scenarios. I suppose I didn't realize how many adults struggle with basic math, which is the reason I didn't learn anything new. However, I think anyone who suffered through terrible math teachers and/or math phobias will glean a great deal of valuable information to calculate anything from doubling recipes to calculating interest.
Bethany
Jul 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book I am promoting at work but it is honestly a great tool for anyone, covering travel, shopping, home improvement, and parenting topics. The author has a great website http://mathforgrownups.com/ and posts "a day in the life" style Q&A pieces with everyone from a fish hatchery technician to a copywriter. Follow Laura on twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/mathforgrownups
Sue
Aug 08, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: education, nonfiction
From the library shelves, this had some definite real-life math, complete with formulas and examples that I can use for different topics in my math classroom.
Lawrence
Feb 23, 2014 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
FALSE
Martha
Sep 30, 2011 marked it as to-read
Shelves: kindle
Also in Nook Archive.
Katharine Holden
Superfluous, cutesy text detracts from the useful bits. Doesn't deliver promise of subtitle. Skip.
Randy
Jul 22, 2014
jamar douglas
Nov 14, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Truth About the New Rules of Business Writing (Truth About Series)
  • Boost Your Memory: Brilliant Ideas You Won't Forget (52 Brilliant Ideas)
  • Even You Can Learn Statistics: A Guide for Everyone Who Has Ever Been Afraid of Statistics
  • Living Rich by Spending Smart: How to Get More of What You Really Want
  • Germs, Genes, & Civilization: How Epidemics Shaped Who We Are Today
  • Analysis Without Paralysis
  • Curious Folks Ask 2: 188 Real Answers on Our Fellow Creatures, Our Planet, and Beyond
  • Your Brain and Business: The Neuroscience of Great Leaders
  • Sleep
  • Brains: How They Seem to Work
  • The Personal Credibility Factor: How to Get It, Keep It, and Get It Back (If You've Lost It)
  • FREE Weights and Measures Study Guide: Conversion of over 1,000 units including Length, Area, Volume, Speed, Force, Energy, Electricity, Viscosity, Temperature, & more
  • In the Line of Fire: How to Handle Tough Questions When It Counts
  • Robert's Rules of Writing
  • 5 of USA's Best Trips
  • Don't Let an Old Person Move Into Your Body
  • Gingerbread Cookbook
  • Be Your Own Editor: A Writer's Guide to Perfect Prose
When people learn that Laura Laing has a degree in mathematics, it’s always the same reaction: Widening eyes change to a puzzled look and then, “But aren’t you a writer?” Laura contends that writing great non-fiction is not much different from proving a(b + c) = ab + ac, except she gets to use words that are a whole lot more fun.

After receiving her undergraduate degree, Laura taught high school ma