Start by marking “Bunny Drop, Vol. 5” as Want to Read:
Bunny Drop, Vol. 5

Bunny Drop, Vol. 5

(Bunny Drop #5)

Ten years have flown by since that fateful day when Daikichi first met Rin at his grandfather's funeral. While Daikichi may be still much the same -- though perhaps a bit balder and a few pounds heavier -- the wise-beyond-her-years Rin has blossomed into a smart, capable, and well-adjusted teenager.

But, as the trials and tribulations of high school and adolescence descend
Published March 2012 by Yen Press (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Bunny Drop, Vol. 5, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bunny Drop, Vol. 5

Sean O'Hara
Apr 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: josei, manga, slice-o-life
I've had this on my shelf for a couple weeks now, but I couldn't bring myself to read it. I've heard spoilers about what happens in the second half of the series and ... gah! Do not want.

But I finally plucked up my courage and gave it a shot.

Damn you, Yumi Unita! What have you done to my mellow slice-of-life about single parenthood in modern Japan? If you haven't heard, volume 5 begins with a ten year time skip. Rin is now a teenager and acting all teenagery, which sucks. And Kouki too is a teen
Arminzerella
Selena
You know, when I first started reading this series, I said, "Wait, single male parent? That's really rare!" and began reading it for the lovely artwork and the strangeness of a story centering around not just a single parent, but a single GUY parent.

This volume... threw that out the window.

Originally it was more about Daikichi and the difficulties of being a single parent in Japan. Now, though, the story seems to focus on Rin entering adulthood. Nothing against that, but high school problems are
Douglas Cootey
Jul 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: borrowed, manga
The jump forward of ten years is jarring and poorly transitioned, and the switch from Daikichi to Rin as the main character is disappointing, but the flashback at the end featuring Daikichi saved the volume for me.
Romi (likes books)
Nov 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, series
She's all grown up and it makes for such an interesting plot change! Possibly my favourite, definitely one of, so far!
Jessica
Apr 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Another great volume
carolina
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This one was a little bit different, especially with the time jump. I didn't even take the time to see what this one was about since I was so excited that my library had it.

I was nervous that this book would taint a series I've enjoyed thus far. But to my surprise, the new underlying theme matched the overall message of "figuring it out as we go."

I wish we saw more of Daikichi and Rin together, but seeing every character interact with one another was fulfilling. Also, my babies are all tiny teen
Nadina
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
Christine Bowles
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
This volume takes place ten years after the previous one, with little Rin in high school and thinking about her options for college. She is also dealing with her relationship with Kouki which has been anything but simple. The final chapter in this one also gives a little bit of a look backward at a moment between Diakichi and Nitani (Kouki's mother) when their children were in middle school. I love the evolving story of each of the characters and look forward to more in these final chapters.
Ashley
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
By far my favourite of the series - I feel like having an older Rin makes for a better book - I get we needed to establish her younger being but this is way more entertaining and school life is hard!
Claire
Aug 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga, read-2017
The jump to 10 years later is a little awkward and I would have liked to have watched Rin grow up. Daikichi seems to have gotten a handle on this parenting thing. I will keep going as I want to see happens.
Karrie Stewart
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Volume 5 skips ahead ten years where we find Rin in high school. The book also starts to focus on her more as well. Daikichi is still his awkward self.
TRACE
Jan 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, manga
i spoiled myself on what happens in the second half of this series and... no

i’ll still finish it because i’m a completist but....... i want to dead
Child960801
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book takes a ten year time jump. Rin is now in high school and trying to navigate that world. Daichiki is still single, but that is not what it seems. I liked it.
Heidi Burkhart
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
I am enjoying this series!
Mike
Mar 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga, slice-of-life
** Note: it is impossible to talk about this volume without some spoilers, so SPOILERS AHEAD. Although if you've read the product description above, you've already been spoiled on the main thing I'm referring to. **

Bunny Drop Vol. 5 marks the beginning of the second half of the overall manga. Vols. 1-4 followed the day to day life of thirty year old Daikichi and his adopted six year old daughter (technically his aunt, being a secret child of his recently deceased grandfather). It was an engaging
Dani - Perspective of a Writer
So I had read about how this manga has serious quality problems after the 10 year time jump. I decided to try to finish the series anyway. I love Rin and Daikichi and want to see how their father/daughter relationship ends and what trials he has with her when she's a teenager.

I guess my expectations were totally off! The magic of the series was totally missing. There were no little cute lessons Daikichi learned as a parent. There were no moments when Rin was an endearingly adult voice then shame
Beckiezra
Jun 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics-manga
My heart (initial reaction to the great stories) says 5 stars, but I have to drop a star for the art not being as great as many of the comics I read. It's just a different style, so maybe not as good isn't the right phrase. It's a simpler style without as much focus on details as most manga I've read.

This was a wonderful jump forward. I was thinking at the end of the last volume that I didn't have to have to wait dozens of volumes to find out what happened with the families (especially if Daiki
quinnster
Mar 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
I've got to say that when I started reading volume five I was incredibly disappointed that Rin was already in high school! I didn't understand why we had to fast forward so far! Now, after reading all up to volume seven I kind of get it. There's a bit more to write about when it comes to teenagers. Not to mention Rin-chan realizing she wants to know who her mother is!

The series shifts to focus more on Rin's relationship with Kouki than how Daikichi deals with being an instant parent. Rin is the
Holly
Aug 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Bunny Drop 5 continues 10 years from where book 4 left off. It takes some getting used to. One minute Rin and Kouki are 6(ish), now they are teenagers considering college and worrying about romance stuff.

I don't have a problem with the whole romance manga genre but it's definitely not why I started reading the series so the first part of the book was a bit difficult to read. What I liked about the first 4 was that the focus was on Daikichi and how he handled being saddled with a dependent. In t
Kate
Jul 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
The story picks up some years later in our characters' lives. Rin is a teenager dealing with teenage troubles. Her adoptive father, Daikichi, has put her happiness before his own and still remains single.

Now, I know how this series ends, generally, so it wasn't without some trepidation that I started this second half of the series that deals with an older Rin instead of the adorable 6 year old that she was when the story first began. I may not like the ending of this series any more than some of
Meredith
Jun 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel
The story of Rin and Daikichi takes a dramatic leap forward in time and we only catch glimpses of what has happened over the past 10 years through character recollection and flash back chapters.

While the age difference was an initial shock to my system and I mourned the lost of the adorable 6 year old I'd fallen in love with, I understand the need to move the story along. The exploration of all of the relationships Unita has developed would just take too long without a little fast-forwarding.

As
Lara
Ehhh... I know what people mean when they say the first four volumes are totally different from the rest of the series. Ten years have passed between volume 4 and volume 5, and Rin is now 16, and the story seems to have become more about her and her relationship with Kouki than it is about Daikichi and his attempts at learning how to be a good parent. It's not that this volume was bad, but...it felt kind of choppy to me, and just all around less compelling. I find I don't really care about teena ...more
Miss Ryoko
Nov 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: library-book, manga
Well, that was kind of a bummer. I was just gushing about how I couldn't wait to see how Rin and Daikichi continue to grow as a family and then Unita-san decides to jump 10 years ahead between volumes 4 and 5. I'm not particularly happy about that. It would have been okay to skip a few years, but 10? I suppose if she can work in what happened during those 10 years into the remaining volumes, it can be slightly forgiven.

Things did not work out the way I wanted it to. I wanted them to be a family,
Estara
Dec 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Courtney
Major timeskip - rin goes from starting first grade, to being in high school. That section of the story features her trying to decide what to do about Kouki's romantic interest in her, and her trying to decide what she does with her future. There's also a chapter of story that takes place during the middle school years, which centres around Daikichi and Nitani-san (Kouki's mother), in which the author is a major tease, dangling the possibility of a romance in front of the reader, and then leavin ...more
Jessica
Apr 03, 2015 rated it liked it

I watched the anime about a month ago, and I loved it. I decided to pick up the manga to form my own opinions on how the story continued on after the anime. I will admit it's not as cute as previous volumes but understandable since Rin is in high school now instead of elementary school. However, I still love the dynamics between all the characters. We delve into the details of Rin and Kouki's relationship, we see more of Rin's struggles with choosing her future, and we find out more abo
Christina
Jun 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: japanese, 2014, josei
It seems that a good number of people are weirded out or annoyed by the jump ten years into the future, but I very much like it.

While I'd love to watch the entirety of Rin's and Kouki's growing up, Volume 5 does a great job of bringing readers right alongside everyone, as well as informing on what their lives have consisted of in the interim.

Yumi Unita has done a great job of keeping emotion and context intact. Perhaps jumping ahead and giving a small-but-sufficient rehash will allow readers to
Brian
Oct 18, 2015 rated it liked it
In this particular volume, the author decided to do a time jump. The series jumps in 10 years, and the adorable Rin becomes a teenager. There are a lot of holes as to what happens, but the main character Daikichi hasn't changed all that much in the 10 years. I didn't care for some of the melodrama involving the teenaged Rin, but I did enjoy the ending where Daikichi and Kouki's mother finally talk about their feelings, but the ending left me waiting to read the next volume.
Leandro Guimarães
Apr 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
A letdown after the first four volumes.

It turns from a heart-warming tale of caring for an abandoning child to a humdrum, if beautifully told, high school love story. It does not help that the author had to keep the adoptive father without a proper resolution by keeping him from marrying his true love interest, resorting to stereotypical manga male indecisiveness and female reticence to extend the story.

I was hoping for a continuation of volume four, not a ten-year jump in the story.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Cross Game 5 (Cross Game, #10-11)
  • A Bride's Story, Vol. 2 (A Bride's Story, #2)
  • Twin Spica, Volume: 02
  • My Girlfriend's a Geek, Volume 2
  • Wandering Son, Vol. 2
  • Yotsuba&!, Vol. 7 (Yotsuba&! #7)
  • Let's Dance a Waltz 1
  • 14歳の恋 2 [14-sai no Koi 2] (Love at Fourteen, #2)
  • Rin-Ne, Vol. 5 (Rin-Ne, #5)
  • Future Lovers, Vol. 1
  • Bitter Virgin, Volume 1 (Bitter Virgin, #1)
  • Otomen, Vol. 2 (Otomen, #2)
Japanese Name (宇仁田ゆみ)

Yumi Unita was born in Mie Prefecture on May 10th, 1972. In 1998, she debuted with "VOICE" in Hakusensha's Young Animal. Since then, she has worked in many genres, having her works featured in seinen, josei, and shounen magazines.

Bunny Drop (10 books)
  • Bunny Drop, Vol. 1
  • Bunny Drop, Vol. 2
  • Bunny Drop, Vol. 3
  • Bunny Drop, Vol. 4
  • Bunny Drop, Vol. 6
  • Bunny Drop, Vol. 7
  • Bunny Drop, Vol. 8
  • うさぎドロップ 9 (Bunny Drop, #9)
  • うさぎドロップ 10 番外編 (Bunny Drop, #10)