Start by marking “Don of the Living Dead” as Want to Read:
Don of the Living Dead

Don of the Living Dead

If you like cynical humor and terrifying flesh eaters then this book is for you.
Don Carver is the unlikely hero of a zombie outbreak. He must brave the savage streets to escape downtown Seattle in order to save his six-year-old son and his cruelly, vindictive ex-wife, but first he has to figure out how to escape the zombie standing outside the door of his bathroom stall.
Published September 1st 2011 by Zombie Tales Press

To ask other readers questions about Don of the Living Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don of the Living Dead

World War Z by Max BrooksThe Zombie Survival Guide by Max BrooksThe Walking Dead, Vol. 1 by Robert KirkmanFeed by Mira GrantPride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith
Zombies!
1,578 books — 4,255 voters
World War Z by Max BrooksZombie Fallout by Mark TufoA Plague Upon Your Family by Mark TufoFeed by Mira GrantThe End by Mark Tufo
Best Zombie Books
1,413 books — 2,984 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Don of the Living Dead
Erik Gustafson
Nov 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Action packed zombie adventure that held my attention from the most unique beginning to its conclusion. Well-written, exciting, and filled with believe characters that I actually cared about! You should pick this up and read it!!
Andrew Hale
Dec 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Enthralling. Cynical.

At first, the main character was a bit too cynical and emotionless, having an air about him that put him above the rest of the world. The author may have interjected himself in order to make a few social statements, or maybe the author wanted us to question the integrity of this man on purpose.

By stories end, this could be a coming-of-age tale where the main character values human life more than he initially did. A tale where he sees the worth of being compassionate to
Karen
May 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: zombies, horror
This was supposed to be an extension or so I thought of the Primrose Apts novellas that came before. They made one reference to the fact that he lived at those apartments and moved on quickly, I had thought they were going to play a part in this novel, not. I would have given this 5 stars but it didn't hit all the marks for me when it comes to my zombies, but it came pretty darn close. I would have liked to have gotten more with some of the characters since they were there and gone so quickly ...more
Kat
Nov 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: zombie, udate
Don Carver is a bit of a loser. A divorced accountant for a pharmaceutical company, he lives in a studio apartment, has no luck with women and is sitting on the toilet when the zombapocalypse comes knocking on his stall door. Although Don isnt the typical hero, he picks up a few stragglers and makes his way to his ex-wifes house to pick up his son and escape the city.

There are some surreal and funny moments in this book the characters, particularly Don, are realistic and dont have the clichéd
Andy
Feb 10, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: zombies, 2012
I don't usually review books that I rate so low, but this is a special case. I just wanted to say that if you haven't yet, read the three Primrose Court Apt 05 stories. They are awesome. They all have people with obvious problems that get to encounter the zombie swarm in their own ways. All the stories tie in together. And even better, they're free (last time I checked).

The main character in this book is Don. Don is a loser, and fails at life. He has a hero complex and is almost a sociopath. His
Nortina
Nov 28, 2011 rated it liked it
I read this having been pulled in by the three short stories that relate to this book. I was a fan of two of the three short stories which I thought was good enough to make buying "Don of the Living Dead" worth it. This somewhat surprised me because I have never before read anything in the zombie genre.

I won't go into detail about the plot as that is easy enough to find, but I will say that I mostly enjoyed reading this. I would be more enthusiastic about it but I found some editorial errors to
Mia C.  Winchester
May 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Don of The Living Dead is by far one of the BEST zombie horror books out there. Robert DeCoteau does such a fantastic job making you feel the emotions the characters are feeling. Not only does the book flow nicely, but the the tension and atmosphere are always on cue. I would recommend this book to anybody who loves horror, zombies, well-written novels, and an average joe just trying to make it through the zombie apocalypse.
Rolando Gill
Jan 02, 2012 rated it liked it
"That's just stupid, Vampires aren't real". Great book a lot of fun to read. There weren't many misspellings but the misuse of words was rampant. I actually bought the book because I was looking forward to reading about a normal guy in a zombie apocalypse. I didn't want to read another book about Navy Seal with a cache of weapons fighting zombies. Don, however, knows a lot about zombies because he watches obscure zombie movies. Not the greatest premise but fun to read anyway.
Greg Snow
Aug 16, 2014 rated it liked it
First I read the Primrose Court short stories. I enjoyed them and so just had to read Don of the Living Dead. I enjoyed this story as well. The only problem I had was the abrupt ending. It was almost like the author just decided he had written enough and cut off the story. That is a shame because he had up to that point.
M.L. Roos
Dec 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Loved the opening and even loved Don. Sure he is an accountant and he is a little creepy to woman, but he has his charms. And he loves his son so there are some redeeming qualities in there. By the end I was rooting for him.

Robert DeCouteau has woven another eloquent zombie story together with a fresh outlook, some black humor and some great writing.
Gerard
May 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Pretty good read. I disliked the main character and I was upset at a loss of a few of the other characters. Come to think of it, I really disliked the main character but the point of a successful piece of fiction is that you care enough to have an opinion.
Micah Shapiro

Not as good as the author's short Primrose apartment zombie stories, but entertaining enough.
Samira
Jan 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
A good mixture of dark with some splashes of comedic error and amazing luck that give me. hope that even I could survive! Good read but short...
Jessica Kong
Feb 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
The beginning of this book was so funny, I was stuck. Who starts a book in the bathroom? It seriously worked. Genius. I want to read more.
Robert DeCoteau
Sep 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Cankat Konur
Leslie Richardson
Nov 01, 2014
Sep 08, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #1)
  • The Legend of Jake Jackson: The Last Of The Great Gunfighters (A Jake Jackson: Gunfighter Western Book 1)
  • The Warriors
  • Will My Cat Eat My Eyeballs? Big Questions from Tiny Mortals About Death
  • Unbowed (The Legend of Asahiel #3.1)
  • The Ukinhan Wilds (Warder #1)
  • To Be Taught, If Fortunate
  • Platform Seven
  • You Have Arrived at Your Destination
  • The Divers' Game
  • Rated
  • The Dead and Empty World (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #0.1-0.4)
  • Dead of Night (Dead of Night, #1)
Robert DeCoteau
I was born in 1974 in Bremerton, Washington. I moved to Bellingham, Washington at the age of four and have been here ever since.
I love living in the Pacific Northwest about two months out of the year. The other ten months it rains.
Constant rain gives me plenty of time to read and write. While I'm hooked on writing horror right now, I enjoy many other genres.
My favorite author is