Start by marking “With Musket and Tomahawk Volume II: The Mohawk Valley Campaign in the Wilderness War of 1777” as Want to Read:

This is the second volume of Michael Logusz s epic work on the Wilderness War of 1777, in which the British Army, with its German, Loyalist, and Indian auxiliaries, attempted to descend from Canada to sever the nascent American colonies, only to be met by Patriot formations contesting the invasion of their newly declared nation.

In his first volume, on the Saratoga campaign
Published February 19th 2012 by Casemate Publishers

To ask other readers questions about With Musket and Tomahawk Volume II, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about With Musket and Tomahawk Volume II

Chris
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
Part II of this trilogy tells the story of the Mohawk Valley Campaign of the Wilderness War of 1777. This campaign was part of British General John Burgoyne's strategy to cut off New England from the rest of the colonies. A force under Barry St. Leger was to come down the Mohawk Valley and link up with Burgoyne near Albany. However, he never made it that far, and instead, had to dedicate his forces to a siege of Fort Stanwix in Rome, NY.
George C. Ruben
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The British campaign to attack thru the Mohawk valley to Albany NY and join up with Gen Burgoyne was a part of the revolutionary war lightly covered in school. I was very happy to read about the trials and set backs of the patriots. The battles of the wilderness in 1777 now are much more real. These 2 books by the author have given this period and the wilderness battles a reality I never experienced in school.
Thinking one
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good

Very well researched and written like a novel. Gives a good accounting of a part of the revolutionary that is not as well known as the battles in New England, and the South.
Jimmie Aaron Kepler
Nov 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I have not read "With Musket and Tomahawk: The Saratoga Campaign and the Wilderness War of 1777" by Michael O. Logusz. I am proof you don't have to read volume I to enjoy volume II. I'll confess I have a good background in the history of the American Revolutionary War. I have a BA in history. I took every undergraduate course offered on the American Revolution at my university. I also studied it when taking United States military history. The author does a good job of telling the story. The book ...more
John Stubler
Jan 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wilderness Brought to Life

This second volume brings to life just how savage and brutal the American Revolution was. The savage butchery of the British with their German and Indian allies. The skill and bravery of the Patriots who defended their homes and villages. Savage hand-to-hand combat with tomahawk, knives, and bayonets. The author does a brilliant job placing the reader right in the middle of it all. Superbly written. Worthy of 5 Stars without a doubt.
Debra
Unlike the earlier volume, I didn't notice any glaring historical inaccuracies. Because he personalized the narrative it seemed more accessible, though still with the attention to military detail.

Unfortunately, I still did not care for the narrator, who consistently mispronounced Schoharie.
Mark Cahill
Sep 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
Well written history of a bloody, brother vs. brother campaign.
Stephanie
Jun 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Volume II of this Revolutionary War history describes the standoff at Rome's Fort Stanwix
David Moyer
rated it it was ok
Apr 22, 2014
Karl
Sep 05, 2017
MICHAEL O. LOGUSZ has served in both the Regular and Reserve branches of the U.S. Army, most recently during Operation Iraqi Freedom in 2007–08. He holds a B.A. from Oswego State College and an M.A. in Russian Studies from Hunter College in New York. The author of numerous articles and a previous book on WWII, Lt. Colonel Logusz has personally examined the ground of each battle he describes. He cu ...more