Start by marking “Wrecked” as Want to Read:
Wrecked

Wrecked

2.93  ·  Rating details ·  1,773 Ratings  ·  281 Reviews
A mysterious stranger holds the key to Miranda’s fate in this contemporary retelling of “The Little Mermaid.”

Ever since the death of her parents, Miranda has lived on Whym Island, taking comfort in the local folklore, which claims a mysterious sea witch controls the fate of all on the island and in its surrounding waters. Sometimes it’s just easier to believe things are ou
Published May 1st 2012 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers

Marie
DISAPPOINTING IS AN UNDERSTATEMENT.

SERIOUSLY.

I read this book for an ending that was well to put it lightly- CRAP, PATHETIC & Yeah why not? SHIT.

Honestly. This poor girl- Miranda- has been through losing all her friends, the boy she loves and felt unwelcome even in her own school. Her parents are dead and everything has changed in her life.

She feels like a murderer; since she was driving the boat the night everything happened.
And to top it off she now has an evil sea witch after
Jessi (Novel Heartbeat)
From my blog Auntie Spinelli Reads

Let me just say right now that I didn't read the whole thing (made it to page 169, little more than halfway), but this still isn't totally a DNF for me because I skimmed the last half and read the ending. So I can, in all fairness, give it a one starfish rating.

I do not want to hear even ONE more person compare this book to The Little Mermaid. The only thing remotely similar was that the mermaid (in this case merman) saw the human and became obsessed. Oh, and th
Ducky
Jun 25, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

What the hell (I'm trying to keep my language civil, here) was that? It was a mediocre excuse for a mermaid tale, at best. Oh look, I answer my own rhetorical questions. How pathetic.

Crap, crap, this was utter crap. I cannot even begin to convey how awful this was. I cannot even begin to explain to you why I chose to pick this book up and then proceeded to actually finish it. It felt like the author was telling me what the characters felt--I don't enjoy being treated like a stupid reade
Jess(ToTheMoonAndBackReviews)
I came across this book from a website called Pulse It, thankfully it allows me to read a book for free in exchange for a review.

I was pleasantly surprised when this tale of superstition of a small rich town turned out to be a page turner I didn't want to get off the computer for. I love the feel that the author was able to create, the way the town is woven, the inhabitants of it was pure genius. Coming from a small town myself I know exactly how it feels where your every move is watched and cat
Tabitha (Bows & Bullets Reviews)
The review is also available on my blog, Bows & Bullets Reviews

***WILL DEFINITELY CONTAIN FUCKING SPOILERS***

This whole ranty review is written on the presumption that this novel is a standalone. If I find out that it has a sequel, I **might*** bump the star rating up one, but that won’t be much improvement. On the whole, I was disappointed in this novel. The gorgeous cover promised a good mermaid story and it just didn’t deliver. Miranda has a wonderful life on the island of Whym until a tr
Rose
Jun 09, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm gonna be real honest.. I hated this book! For me it had so many wth moments and not in a good way. Very rarely do I ever come across a book that I dislike. I've often come across books that have had more bad then good reviews and found that I quite enjoyed them but with Wrecked I had none of that. When it comes to the description in the writting I had difficulty at times understanding the descriptions and well as figuring out who was talking in the book and found myself going back to re-read ...more
Once Upon a Twilight
Miranda is a teenage girl who lives with her brother and grandmother on Whim Island, after the loss of both of her parents as a child. She is popular and well-liked, until she’s involved in a tragic boating accident. With the loss of several young lives in the accident, most of the town blames Miranda because she was steering at the time. They are all suspicious as to how she survived. I just found that part of the story a little ridiculous. Every adult on the Island is on the same page and blam ...more
Haya
...

Mild spoilers, maybe. Dunno what your definition of "spoiler" is...but a warning's nice anyway, no?

First things first: I liked Wrecked, but with every book there are flaws, and this one is full of 'em. It would've been better if these flaws were slight and unnoticeable, but unfortunately, that wasn't the case.

Wrecked is a good enough read. It kept me intereseted; yet, at the same time, it confused me as hell. I liked Miranda, and I felt for her, the pain she goes through, and her struggle to
Nila Smith
2.5 stars.I honestly have no words. I can't believe I wasted my time on such a horrible book. The plot was bad and the characters were annoying.
Leigh Collazo
More reviews at Mrs. ReaderPants.

WHAT I LIKED: With its beautiful and eerie island setting, Wrecked is easy enough to get into. I love the descriptions of Whym Island's sandy beaches, salty winds, crashing ocean waves, and evening storms. I love all the island superstitions about the sea witch, who turns out to be real. When the boating accident happens, readers can really feel Miranda's survivor guilt and her self-doubt about how the accident happened.

The sea-lore, the stories of Sephie, and t
(Source: I borrowed a copy of this book.)
“Whym Island: some things have to be seen to be believed”

17-year-old Miranda is looking forward to chilling out with her friends over the summer before they go their separate ways to college, when disaster strikes.

Driving her boat home with her friends on board, (they live on a small island) a storm sets in suddenly, and her boat gets hit by lightning. Thrown overboard by her boyfriend in an effort to save her, Miranda is drowning when she is saved by the
Jenny
May 03, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wrecked is a heavier read than initially expected, our preconceived notions thanks to Disney of under-the-sea tales and merfolk creating a false sense of lightness for us before we pick this story up, and thus we are all the more taken aback when tragedy strikes almost immediately and we’re left with the substantial burden of Miranda’s survivor’s guilt. For most of the three hundred pages Miranda is numb, not actively dealing with her loss or trying to get past it (though this is not entirely he ...more
*Lily's*
This book just got me mad and frustrated. I expected more, it sounded interesting at first but then as I kept reading, I wanted Miranda to do something, to not let people treat her badly, to not let them talk about her, she really needed to stand up for herself. And when I thought she would she would just back down and let people boss her around and tell her what to do.

I didn't like Gray, she was a bitch, her grandma was the same, but Miranda was okay with it ugh .I guess the only person I kind
Seeing Double in Neverland
For Full Review go to http://seeingdoubleinneverland.blogsp...

3 out of 5 stars

Part of the book I loved and the part of the book was repetitive and drawn out!
Dark Faerie Tales
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: This book has an interesting premise but fails to deliver it in a satisfying manner, relying heavily on exposition to get the mood across while slowing down the story.

Opening Sentence: In many ways Whym Island is like any of the hundreds of tiny islands dotting the South Carolina coast.

The Review:

I’m going to start out by saying that this book has one of the worst synopses ever. I read it and was totally uninterested in this book, mainly bec
Michelle
Apr 18, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was a rather boring book. Plus the use of the "F" word was unnecessary.
Brittany (Nice Girls Read Books)

My main problem with Wrecked was that I didn't connect to any of its characters. The romance was rushed, the focus was not on the fantasy aspect of the book (which I wanted) and the main character was just someone I could not sympathize with. It's a shame, because Wrecked seemed to have it all from the amazing cover and synopsis.

I'm so disappointed that I didn't enjoy Wrecked - it's been on my TBR pile since I first heard about it and I had so much fun interviewing Anna Davies, she's lovely.
Bonnie
Sep 17, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was reading a slightly narcissistic, slightly misandric article in this month’s issue of Glamour and I saw in the blurb that the author had also written a YA novel. Always the diligent librarian, I looked it up on Goodreads and it’s about mermaids!!! And it has a pretty terrible rating!! A bad YA romance about mermaids written by a self-involved person that doesn’t care for men is just about the most perfect book ever!

Alas, it’s not that bad of a book but I fully understand the negative review
Wren [t(he)y]

this review can also be found at http://fortheloveofbooksreviews.blogs...

Miranda lives on Whym Island with her grandmother, where superstitions about sea witches are popular among the locals. The death of her parents isn't the only tragedy she has to deal with....one night, she and her friends get into a boating accident. She survives, and holds memories of a mysterious boy on the beach.

Christian is a betwixtman from Down Below. He saved Miranda from drowning, but Sephie, the sea witch, isn't ha
Jessica Crawford
I absolutely cringe when I write a review under 3 stars because I do not like to be negative. I hate it and it goes against my every nature. However I also feel obligated to be honest in reviews since it seems only fair. So as always, I will start with the positives and tactfully point out why I gave it 2 stars. This concept was great, very creative and should have been a breath of fresh air. I love the setting, a quaint little island town with lots fo folklore and legend. (This was appealing fo ...more
Sonia
Sep 02, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Emily
I really really wanted to like this book. Unfortunately, it didn't even come close to my expectations. Miranda is a senior in high school and lives on Whym Island. One night after a beach party, a boating accident takes the lives of several of her friends. Add that to her parents deaths when she was younger and you've got a pretty depressed main character. I also knew nothing about her except that she was an up and coming star soccer player.

Since Miranda's boat caused the accident and she was at
Merel
Jul 12, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The author decided to write a mermaid book.

Not thinking about actually going into depth about this world of mermaids. Why do I only get to know three sea creatures? Why don't I get any information about how they live? Why don't I know what the sea world looks like? What is the difference between the sea creatures?

Not thinking about actually explaining how certain things work for the sea creatures. Why couldn't he stay on the surface? Why did everyone listen to Sephie?

Not thinking about actua
Sydney
Jun 29, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: why
Remember when I was going off about never wanting to read a book on mental houses? Well I'd rather read another with a nice cup of tea to go with it. Than reading this book. Why is this character being hated so much? Is Eleanor a cyborg? Even Cristina Yang from Grey's Anatomy is more capable of showing/having human emotions. The following will basically sum up my thoughts on this book:
1. We know close to nothing about this Down Below world or Christian for that matter.
2. Almost every character r
Corrie
May 28, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

I absolutely hate giving a book a bad review, but this book was not good. It was terrible actually. It was so hard to make myself finish it. I try to not quit a book but in this case I should have. I had such high hopes for this book so it was a bit of a disappointment . I am on a mermaid kick right now and wanted this book to be good. There is hardly any in the water or under the water scenes at all. The plot was terrible, there was inconsistencies and poor writing, terrible characters. Mirand
JenniferJ
I had very high hopes for this one because it was set in my home state of South Carolina and boy it didn't let me down! I was drawn in the first few pages and then the action and twists kept me reading way into the night. I Loved it although found myself really sad in parts.

Miranda and her brother have worked hard trying to fit in after the tragic death of their parents, on Whym Island where outsiders are not easily taken to. They move in with their grandmother who doesn't really have a clue in
bingewatcher
Feb 17, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is like a Twilighted version of The Little Mermaid with the whole gender reversal I.e. merman and human girl.

It's not that I'm specifically against paranormal and romance (because hey, I did find the Splash movie utterly fun to watch) but generally too much sap with underdeveloped characters and a compromised storyline turns me off.

That being said, those who enjoy living cathartically through said characters may find themselves enjoying this.
Aleixie
Jun 08, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
About time I finished reading it.

I wouldn't recomend this to anyone. 200 pages of reading about a whiny heroine that is drowning in all her self-pity, falls in love with a boy in under a week, hates her family when they actually care about her...

You see, I don't want to subject you to that.

And, as for the love interest, Christian, how? How can you love someone enough to give your life for her in under a week?

The story was messed both ways.
Morgan
May 03, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was disappointed with this book!
Without prattling on, it was poorly edited, had a lot of inconsistencies, and definitely not a fairy tale ending (by the dsecription, I thought there would be).
It really had great potential, and I hope Davies fine tunes her story telling in another book! This one just wasn't up to par!
Joany de Vries-Verbrugge
Zo blij dat ik dit boek heb opgepikt bij het boekenfestijn. Ik heb het in één dag uitgelezen en het was zooo goed. Wellicht niet het meest epische of originele verhaal wat ik ooit heb gelezen, maar wel heerlijk broeierig en een tikkeltje tragisch - precies waar ik van houd.
  • Breathless
  • The Vicious Deep (The Vicious Deep #1)
  • The Secret of the Emerald Sea
  • Lucy (Daughters of the Sea, #3)
  • Siren's Storm (Siren's Storm, #1)
  • ExtraNormal (ExtraNormal, #1)
  • Promises (Syrenka, #1)
  • When You Open Your Eyes
  • Reincarnate, Beloved
  • Blood Born (Blood Prophecy, #1)
  • Tangled Tides (The Sea Monster Memoirs, #1)
  • Monstrous Beauty
  • Elemental (Auri, #1)
  • Touching the Surface
  • Between the Land and the Sea (Marina's Tales, #1)
  • Lies Beneath (Lies Beneath, #1)
  • Fins
  • Selkie Girl

Young Adult Deals

• Beneath the Shine
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Greensleeves
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Keeping You a Secret
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
  • Time Bomb
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Some Fine Day
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
  • The Odds of Loving Grover Cleveland
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Darkness Brutal (The Dark Cycle #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Poisonwell (Whispers from Mirrowen, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Chaos (Guards of the Shadowlands, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Secondborn (Secondborn, #1)
  • Hate List