Start by marking “The Zochtil (Almek Manning, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Zochtil (Almek Manning, #1)

Read eBook

The Zochtil

(Almek Manning #1)

Jump to the Stars! Join the Solar Fleet!

The Solar Fleet faces just two problems: one, the alien blockade that prevents any ship from leaving the solar system, and two, the United Monarchy of Europe, which is tying up most of the Solar Fleet's resources, thus preventing them from attacking the blockade.

Almek Manning is eighteen and wishes to join the Solar Fleet as a midsh
Published January 1st 2012

To ask other readers questions about The Zochtil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Zochtil

Mathew
Jan 04, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobook
My name is Almek. My dad was awesome. I am awesome. The Sky Marshal is my best friend. The doggy aliens chose me as their emissary. Mark Zuckerberg, the guy in charge of the other space fleet likes me a lot too. Also, I never screw up. Here is my story.

If you can live with all of that, the story isn't bad. The action is actually quite well-written. The characters are as developed as one may expect from a young author. The emotional depth and realism of the adults lacks in every department. Alme
Ted Guglielmo
Sep 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: young and old
Won this book on a goodreads giveaway. First let me say i really liked this book alot...My 14 year old son is going to love it. We will both look forward to the next in the "Almek Manning series". I was enthralled by the story of the son of a revered starship captain who ends up in a hell hole and through hard work rising to leader and escapes to pursue his dream. I was buzzing through this until his meeting with the aliens that will help in the fight with the earth's enemies. I don't want to gi ...more
J.A. Dalley
Sep 02, 2011 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: science-fiction
Below is a review from scififx.com:

J.A. Dalley’s book The Zochtil is a military sci-fi story about a boy whose father was a captain of a ship that was destroyed when humans succeeded for the first time in going faster than the speed of light. This boy then spent the next 10 years of his life growing up on the streets of London that have been basically changed in to a prison for kids that have no supervision.
This book has so many aspects that I enjoyed that I’m only going to go through a few of t
Per Gunnar
I thought this book sounded promising. Sure it is not very long and with a very moderate price so it smelled a lot of “new and inexperienced author” but some of those books that I have read have been quite good. When it comes to this book I would say that the author needs to work on his writing and perhaps certainly get some more experience. The main story about a kid growing up in a lawless wasteland that used to be London, managing to enlist in the Solar Fleet and then going out into adventure ...more
Amy Stapleton
Sep 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a military sci-fi novel told from the perspective of Almek Manning, a precocious teenager who is clearly marked as "the chosen one" from the start of the narrative. The story is told in the first person from Almek's point of view. Almek sees the world from a budding military leader's perspective and views the people around him primarily for their ability to contribute to the cause. The cause, in this case, is to free earth from the Draconians, an evil alien race. Other alien races, such ...more
James
Feb 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
As a big fan of science fiction I found The Zochtil to be a great story and an enjoyable read. The depth of the characters and the pace of the story keeps the reader engrossed and wanting to know what happens next. Packed with action and plenty of sci-fi elements, J.A. Dalley creates a universe that draws you in and makes you feel as if you are right there with the characters. The Zochtil is the first book in the series and I for one can’t wait to read the next books to come.
Carol Blackhurst
Feb 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
As a life-long fan of science fiction, I found "The Zochtil" to be a very entertaining. The characters are engaging and interesting. The story is a fast-paced, action-packed experience. Mr. Dalley weaves many new and intriguing sci-fi aspects into his tale. A great beginning to a sure to be thrilling series.
James
May 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to James by: goodreads-giveaway
Great book. Thank you to the author for your heartfelt message. Wonderful characters. My friends son and I couldn't put it down. Thank you again to the author for the heart you put into your books and your relationships with your readers. I was truly touched. Won via Goodreads Giveaway.
Lynette ~ Escaping Reality – One Book at a Time ~
Read full review here: http://escapingrealitybookreviews.wor...

UPDATE:
So, I just finished the audiobook...and it's phenomenal. Nick really did an incredible job with this book.
The 2nd time around, I loved it even more then I did the first time. The characters - extraordinary. The plot - still had me at the edge of my seat! The writing style - Beautiful. I love J.A. Dalley's work. It's really amazing.

I'm 15, and I highly recommend this (audio) book.

ORIGINAL REVIEW 2011:

This is a military science
Justin
Sep 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
I won this book as a good read giveaway. I really like this book. I felt that they author was able to come up with a great story. I cannot wait to read the next story, I really like how Almek Manning developed as a character.
Jerry
Apr 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
this was a great book.the author sent me a signed copy(thank you).i got it Friday and finished it Saturday.It was well written with a GREAT story line.one of the best i have read in a long time.Well worth reading.can not wait to read the next in the series.
Susan Walker
Aug 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Science Fiction about aliens, the "United Monarchy of Europe" and an eighteen year old who wants to join the Solar Fleet.

I am not a big Science Fiction fan but this was an interesting read.

Michael
Aug 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
ASPIRING YOUNG AUTHOR WITH LOTS OF GOOD IDEAS, THIS BOOK DESERVES YOUR ATTENTION
Frenzycool
May 17, 2016
John Walley
May 07, 2013
Brian
rated it did not like it
Jul 15, 2013
Viktoria Kjus
Apr 15, 2018

• Better Than This
  • Infinity Squad
  • Howl of the Wolf (Heirs to the Throne, Book 1)
  • Teachings of Thomas S. Monson
  • Join Up (Island Trilogy, #3)
  • Alarm of War
  • Officer-Cadet
  • The Seven Professors of the Far North
  • Contract of Defiance (Spectras Arise Trilogy, #1)
  • A Smuggler's Conscience (Black Ocean #2)
  • The Sailweaver's Son (Sky Riders of Etherium Book 1)
  • The Red Pyramid Chapter Sneak Peek!
  • A Tale of Light and Shadow (A Tale of Light and Shadow, #1)
  • A Million Tears
  • R My Name Is Rachel
  • Other Worlds
  • Liberty
  • Proto Zoa
A native Texan, I started writing stories at age twelve and have continued to love creative writing. I attended Richland Collegiate High School and earned an associate’s degree in general science in parallel with a high school diploma. I’ve been reading science fiction ever since being introduced to Robert Heinlein’s classic military sci-fi book, Starship Troopers, at age 10. Personal interests ha ...more

Almek Manning (4 books)
  • Starwarden (Almek Manning, #2)
  • Caledonian Cabal (Almek Manning #3)
  • Asgard (Almek Manning Book 4)