Start by marking “Due Justice (Justice, #1)” as Want to Read:
Due Justice (Justice, #1)

Due Justice

(Justice #1)

Judge Willa Carson is bullet proof – except when wild justice rules from the grip of a gun.

When a famous plastic surgeon’s decomposed body surfaces in Tampa Bay with a bullet in its head, Federal Judge Willa Carson’s “little sister” is caught in a high-stakes game of greedy lawyers, blackmail and deceit. Carly Austin knew the victim too well. Does she know too much about t
Nook, 316 pages
Published July 23rd 2011 by AugustBooks (first published July 18th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Due Justice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Due Justice

Barbara

In this first book in the 'Judge Willa Carson series', we learn that Willa lives on Plant Key - near Tampa, Florida - with her restaurateur husband George. The couple are wealthy and have a lovely apartment above George's upscale eatery, where the local glitterati are frequent guests.

In between judging cases, Willa visits with friends and relatives, meets people for coffee and drinks, goes to parties, smokes cigars, jogs, plays with her two dogs, and shares quiet time with her loving husband.

Th
Maura
ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

This is completely boring, awful characters, no excitement or suspense. I feel like I'm following a judge around on her daily routine. Out to the golf course, home for drinks, blah, blah, blah. I'm 50% in and I so want to call it quits, but I will persevere! I'm skimming at this point anyway.

One of the most irritating things about this book however is the chapter endings. Almost every one ends in a cliche cliffhanger thingy. For example,

"The only thing I could manage
Lynda Kelly
Jun 09, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: deleted
I have packed this in. Usually I will persevere once I've reached 30+% but with this I gave in at 44% through....I just got totally bored with it, I'm afraid. Not a one of the characters are very likeable and all tended to keep secrets from each other and skirt around the truth.
Willa, the judge, seems to do just as she pleases which I would like to think isn't very likely in cutting court short early as it suited her, not returning phonecalls and not attending meetings. I'd like to think in her
Debra Eve
Jan 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
There's a scene in Carly's Conspiracy that takes place on a golf course between the protagonist, Willa, and another woman, a possible suspect. At the end, you feel like you've witnessed a cage fight, the repartee is so intense.

Make no mistake. You are deep inside Willa's head when she performs her mental martial arts, and Diane Capri's writing style reflects that. Sometimes it's practiced. Sometimes it's grueling. But it's never boring.

A twisty plot, an unreliable witness and the secret lives
Mathew Walls
Jan 17, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: female-authors
Stupid, lazy, rich arseholes waste everyone's time.

This book is terrible. The protagonist is incredibly obnoxious, and her inability to put two and two together combined with her apparent inability to do the reasonable or sensible thing at any time serve only to pad the story out by making everything take longer than it should.

Everything about Willa is irritating. She seems to believe she's just a low-paid public servant, but she's clearly incredibly wealthy. She apparently has a job from which
Beverley
The only reason I rated this 3 stars is because I liked the main character, Judge Willa. She and her husband, George were really the only two I cared for. I found the whole story line of her sister, Carly, to be sketchy and even annoying. She just shows up and then disappears, is supposedly a character of interest or suspicion in Dr. Morgan's murder, but no one knows anything about her ( she is a prominent lawyer by the way). Dr. Morgan is supposedly missing for a month and no one in the town se ...more
Kimberly Hicks
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Legal Thriller Seekers
Shelves: read-on-kindle
An unidentified body! A list of suspects! One person seeking justice! Wow, we’ve got a recipe for a knockout legal thriller! Judge Willa Carson has found herself wrapped in a mangled mess of lies, deceit and murder. What Judge Carson should be doing is handling her federal cases, but her little sister, Carly, has a way of weaving her way through Willa’s heart, no matter what it is she’s done or hasn’t done. No matter how many times she’s stated she would stop ‘helping’ her sister, how can she tu ...more
David Highton
I read the first of Capri's Hunt for Jack Reacher series 3 years ago, so I thought this first book in the Judge Willa Carson series would be better than it turned out to be. A weak plot lacking credibility and a series of unattractive characters in the Tampa medical and legal communities meant I found this quite difficult to get through. A set of characters set up for a sequel - will reflect hard on the chances of the series getting better.
Renee Mihld
Aug 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is book #1 in the Hunt for Justice series, and it was enjoyable. I read it as part of the Licensed to Thrill 3 trilogy. Judge Wilhelmina “Willa” Carson lives a fabulous life on her own island in Florida, with her loving husband restaurateur George Carson. Due Justice opens with Willa’s sister Carly Austin, (they grew up together after Willa’s mom died when Willa was 16, and her step-father took off and left her with the Austin family), reveals that she may know the identity of the body that ...more
Helen
Apr 17, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
One and a half stars. A fairly pedestrian legal "thriller" with few thrills in it, featuring a federal court judge, Willa Carson, who investigates a death after being drawn into the case by her childhood foster-sister.

The novel was not particularly well-written, and a number of errors remain in the final copy. For example, each chapter starts with the location, date and time, but often the action in a chapter continues immediately after the previous chapter, so it seemed pointless to do this, a
Stephanie
Nov 10, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
As a first effort this novel is interesting and has enough mystery and action to be worth a read but it shows the rough edges. Since the protagonist is a federal judge, the actual crime-solving is limited and consists mainly of gleaning info from other characters and newspapers stories. That does create a bit of dullness to the story but Capri manages to pull off the mystery in spite of this limitation. The characters need more flesh and while some readers may enjoy the descriptions of Tampa soc ...more
Louse Behiel
Jan 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Carly's Conspiracy is a good read. I thoroughly enjoyed it. a mystery, starring a female federal judge, the story is set in Florida. the setting is luscious, the protagonist is smart and the supporting cast are believable. Best of all, her actions and choices were well motivated and believable. and you'll never guess whodunit.
Mark Earle
May 26, 2013 rated it liked it
I couldn't like the judge/sleuth Willa. The mystery kept me going through the book. I found little sympathy for any of the characters so hope Florida still has the death penalty :-)
Great read if you enjoy stories filled with bitter, rich, characters overwhelmed by a sense of entitlement and untainted by ethics.
Robin Edman
Mar 24, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
You don't make a boring story with boring characters interesting by using the high drama (queen) style continuously. This book is really, really bad. Also, the legal research was inadequate. Which made it match the personalities.
Coleen Patrick
Jan 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
If you like Sue Grafton's books, then you will enjoy Carly's Conspiracy!
Lisa Johnson
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: diane-capri
Title: Due Justice (The Hunt for Justice Series #1)
Author: Diane Capri
Pages: 316
Year: 2014
Publisher: AugustBooks
My rating 5 out of 5 stars.
Due Justice introduces to audiences the main character of Judge Wilhelmina (Willa) Carson as a federal judge in the Tampa Bay area. We get bits and pieces of Willa’s past throughout the novel. She is married to a man named George who owns and runs a very famous restaurant on the first floor of the building where they live. On the second floor, the judge and h
Ted Tayler
Mar 20, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
"Not enjoyable. End unreachable. Sorry"

As an avid fan of Lee Child I grabbed an opportunity to read something by this author, given the plaudits and recommendations. There's no comparison. I'm sorry, but the writing style offered a jarring moment on every other page. A sentence needs a verb or an object. The staccato delivery of three, two, and even one word 'sentences' might sound fine in a conversation. They are vital in a comedian's patter, which depends on perfect timing. On the page it mere
Britney
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rtyr, books-i-won
For being slower paced I really liked it. Most of the characters weren't likeable but I thought they were believable cause of the society they were in. The book shows what people will do to hide imperfections or things that may have people look down on them or "ruin their reputation."
Quillracer
Sentence fragments and short choppy sentences gave this book a ‘jittery’ feel, reading more like Capri’s hastily jotted ideas in a rough draft. The plus side is it also imparted a more ‘conversational’ tone as if Capri is telling readers the story live instead of writing it down for them to read later, and gives the book an ‘edgier’ feel, conveying more of a sense of tension. Sadly, that tension never developed.

Capri drops lots of names without including how they relate to her main character or
Cathy
Apr 18, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I didn't find this book to be much of a thriller. It was rather boring. It may have been because the characters were not likeable or believable. While I am willing to suspend disbelief when reading, there is a limit to how much I can disbelieve. I can't imagine any judge behaving the way Willa Carson did. I would vote for her impeachment from the bench.
Too many of the other characters were undeveloped. There were too many stereotypes of doctors and lawyers as being in it just for the money. Bad
Mark S
Jan 16, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
An interesting take on crime fiction in that the main character is a judge trying to solve a murder, so there's the supposed added tension of her trying not to be impeached by getting too involved (or something).

However, any such tension is defused by the character's wealth and the fact she just doesn't seem that attached to the job. I never got the impression she'd ultimately care that much if she was impeached, so struggled to care myself.

Lack of tension is the main fault of the book - the o
Louie  Book Teacher
A murder mystery with a federal judge investigating, sounded interesting and liked it well enough. The story takes place in Florida with a lot of rich older persons along the lines of an Agatha Christie cast of characters, only less deftly managed. I like Willa and find myself wanting to try another Justice book. Hopefully it will be better.
L
Nov 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Murder and mayhem, involving the Tampa old-money establishment, plastic surgery (lots and lots of silicone breasts), and family secrets, loyalties, and irresponsibility. Good characters and a solid story. The book could have used better editing, though.
Michelle
Sep 07, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't finish it. The grammar is atrocious and the main character is not very likeable.
Jean
Sep 17, 2013 rated it did not like it
so boring, only read a few chapters then gave up.
Rosemary
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Agatha Christie and Murder She Wrote
Due Justice - a review by Rosemary Kenny

When a rotting body turns up in the nearby marina, the press and authorities - in this case Judge Willa Carson - are immediately interested. What piques Willa's interest even more is the covert conversation she has subsequently with her adoptive 'sister', Carly, as Carly says she knows who the corpse may be, before refusing to go into any more detail!
The other hot topic of the moment is potential legal wrangles surrounding safe breast implants. When the tw
Jessica
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good, Fast Read!

Diana Capri can always be counted on to deliver an entertaining mystery! When Judge Willa Carson is manipulated into a legal dilemma by her "foster sister" Carly, she starts investigating the disappearance and possible murder of a local plastic surgeon. Trying to keep Carly out of jail, and herself from an obstruction charge, Willa can't resist following the clues that the police seem to have missed, or ignored. Along the way, she uncovers more info than she ever wanted to know a
Janet
Jun 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, mystery

Free-spirited Judge Wilhelmina Carson is quick, witty and stubborn. She finds nothing is what it seems in a world where attractive women with enough money are made, not born, and beauty can cost your life.

Plot interesting but the book drags in pl
Keith McDonagh
Just okay for me

While there was good character development, the book was, in my opinion, too long for the story. I felt that the society element was overplayed and you were reading as much about the upper crust as you were reading a mystery. If you enjoy reading society pages you'd enjoy it, but it isn't a fast moving novel. If you like action packed fiction, pass on this one. This wasn't my style, but was well written, in fairness to the author.
Mary
May 21, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book a few years ago but never left a review as I thought it unimportant at that time. However, now I know that authors like to have a review. I was a bit disappointed with this story as the other books in the Justice Series were more interesting...at least to me. The good judge helps her sister who seems to be spoiled and was a suspect in a murder. Not my favorite read but I'll continue to read Diane's books.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
2017 Reading Chal...: Due Justice 1 20 Jan 05, 2015 11:41AM
Goodreads Librari...: Change some information on a book 5 25 Apr 16, 2013 11:06AM
Protecting loved ones - how far do we go? 1 7 Feb 10, 2012 01:14PM

• Digging Up Death (Mari Duggins Mystery, #1)
  • Deadly Blessings (An Alex St. James Mystery #1)
  • Storm Surge (A Jonie Waters Mystery, #1)
  • Down Home And Deadly  (Sleuthing Sisters Mystery #3)
  • The Chronicles of Marr-nia (Short Stories Starring Barbara Marr)
  • Tell No Lies
  • Ascension Day Part 1 of 2
  • Voodoo or Die (Voodoo in Mojo, #2)
  • Hot Chocolate
  • Something in the Blood (Honey Driver Mystery, #1)
  • Broken Shield (Tony Wolf/Tim Buckthorn #2)
  • White Ghost (Graham Gage #4)
  • The Festival of Bones (Mythworld, #1)
  • Unladylike Pursuits
  • Murder Passes the Buck (Gertie Johnson, #1)
  • For Better, for Murder (Broken Vows, #1)
  • Saints Preserve Us
  • Connie (The Daughters of Allamont Hall, #3)
Bestselling author Diane Capri is a recovering lawyer. She’s a snowbird who divides her time between Florida and Michigan. An active member of Mystery Writers of America, Author’s Guild, International Thriller Writers, and Sisters in Crime, she loves to hear from readers and is hard at work on her next novel.

Connect with her online:
Twitter: http://twitter.com/@DianeCapri
Facebook: https://www.faceb

Justice (7 books)
  • Twisted Justice (Justice, # 2)
  • Secret Justice (Justice #3)
  • Wasted Justice (Justice #4)
  • Raw Justice (Justice #5)
  • Cold Justice (Justice, #6)
  • Night Justice (Justice #7)
“Indignation is often the best defense.” 1 likes
“No matter how offensive she's been to me, she continues to act as if she has some sort of God-given right to keep coming back for more favors.” 1 likes