Start by marking “Leadership: Theory and Practice” as Want to Read:
Leadership: Theory and Practice

Leadership: Theory and Practice

Heartened by the positive response to previous editions of Leadership: Theory and Practice, this Fourth Edition is written with the same objective to bridge the gap between the often simplistic popular approaches to leadership and the more abstract theoretical approaches.
Published October 26th 2006 by Sage Publications, Inc (first published March 11th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Leadership, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Leadership

Start your review of Leadership: Theory and Practice
Kristin
Jul 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership
One of my Fall 2011 accomplishments! Thanks to Reid for plowing through this one with me. It was one of those books that I felt I should read, since it's a best selling text in leadership. I'm glad I did.

The first 1/3 was slow going, discussing older theories that seemed to have serious faults and limited applicability. But, it was good history and context for the leadership instructor. The next 1/3 contained discussion of transformational leadership and authentic leadership that really put a
Mark Oppenlander
This book covers various concepts of and ideas about leadership. Each chapter provides a thumbnail sketch of a particular leadership theory or approach, followed by an analysis of the strengths and weaknesses of the theory and case studies. Many of the chapters also include survey instruments so that aspiring leaders can assess themselves against the leadership theory in question. The chapters are arranged roughly chronologically, beginning with older models of leadership (e.g. trait approach, ...more
Montazar
The book tackles leadership as theories, instead of preparing ppl. It's goog if you are the analytical type of person. Otherwise I wouldn't recommend it.
Lauren
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
In summary: "here are a bunch of theories about leadership, but none of them are right. Also here is a short chapter about women leaders and about how basically none of the other theories applied to women--we don't really know what works. Try growing a penis." Thanks for wasting my time. ...more
Umar Riaz
Jun 19, 2019 rated it liked it
“Leadership is the subject which is most studied but least understood” remarked James Macgregor Bruns the pioneer of the field with his book which came in 1978.This review will be first of the three books which I read for preparation of a lecture as well as for designing a module on leadership. I have always been wary of studying the popular yet evasive concepts like leadership. The popularity makes a subject personalized due to experiences. The exclusivity and distinction of a specialized ...more
Sandy H
Aug 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: leadership
Hard to rate a book that's meant to be a more academic overview type of book. Was it the most exciting book in the world to read? No. But did it do for me what I'd hoped--give me a really good overview of a lot of different leadership models? Yes--absolutely. This book helped me think through relationships between different models/theories and what components I may want to explore further. The way the chapters are formatted are very helpful--a description of the theory, strengths and weaknesses, ...more
Melissa Lee-Tammeus
Forced to read for class. Not a bad book, but there really is nothing new in here if you know anything about leadership skills. If you are not, this is a great place to start. Mainly focusing on theory, Northouse walks you through trait, skill, style, and situational approaches as well as many different theories related to leadership. great assessments inside as well.
Marlena
Jan 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: leadership
A great textbook for an introduction to leadership theory class. It is very readable and includes charts, tables, and an assessment at the end of each chapter. We used it in my graduate leadership class and one that I will reference in the years to come and future papers.
Marianne
May 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I just read this book for my MBA Leadership class and very much enjoyed it. Most of the books I read for classes are painful - but this was not only easy to ready, it was interesting and something that was relevant.
Nancy
Feb 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: leadership
My "go to" leadership book!
Melodie
It's definitely one of the better textbooks I've read recently.
Barry Davis
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Adopted at more than 1600 institutions and translated into 13 different languages, this book provides an in depth review of the present theories and models of leadership. After providing leadership definitions from 1900 to the present, chapters present all the current theories, providing an academic account of each theory. The theories covered are as follows:

2. Trait Approach
3. Skills Approach
4. Behavioral Approach
5. Situational Approach
6. Path-Goal Approach
7. Leader-Member Exchange Approach
Tina
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my 4th book on leadership. I’m very tempted to rate it 5 stars but still feel too new to leadership books to know if this is truly is one of the best leadership books out there. As I’m in my first semester of my doctorate in education, I may change this rating later. I really like this book and the fact that is has chapters on servant leadership, ethics leadership, gender and leadership, culture and leadership, & so many others! I really like the format of the book that each chapter ...more
Georang A Cavazos
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing! As someone who is very analytical and has read a lot of books on leadership, this one breaks them all down into their foundations!

While there are many theories on leadership, you see a lot of reoccurring themes and aspects of leadership that overlap everywhere. This book is amazing for breaking it down to a science and tells me where I am strong and weak in.

I love this book.

It seems most people read this book for graduate studies. I'm not in that and don't even have an
Tyler
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership
I read this as an introductory textbook for my Master's of Organizational Leadership program. This book is a really clear, effective summation of the various academic theories and approaches to leadership. Each chapter is structured the same way, which is very helpful, and the writing is really concise and clear. This book was a great way to give a broad overview of the field of leadership studies, and was filled with many thought provoking ideas and insights and perspectives about leadership. I ...more
Max
The textbook focuses more on the theories of leadership. It's an excellent introduction for those interested in doing research in the field. Newport summarizes each leadership theory, with practical examples, and concludes with a set of questions on the strengths and criticism for each approach, which provides an amply opportunity for further research. The last few chapters are written by guest authors.
Jamie
Dec 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Not terrible as textbooks go. Chapters deal rather generally with leadership theories; defining them, presenting research findings, detailing strengths, weaknesses, and applications of each approach, three case studies pertaining to the approach, sample questionnaires, and a summary. The last few chapters deal with issues in leadership regarding culture, gender, and others. All in all, its a good overview of leadership theories.
LaVerne Ludden
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I taught in the leadership departments at Purdue University Fort Wayne and Indiana Wesleyan University. Peter's book is one of the standards we used to teach our students at all levels of higher education. He does an excellent job of summarizing the research on key leadership theories and regularly updates the book. It is a book every leader should read so they gain a depth of understanding about leadership--not jubs the latest fad.
Tony Segreto
A well researched and solid foundational text on leadership styles and descriptions. This is basically a textbook on leadership that is perhaps too theoretical than applicable. Although the several case studies help, I feel they are reverse engineered, with a specific leadership style in mind. Really world situations are less clear.

Good for a textbook, but not quite my cup of tea.
Jennifer Bryant
Clear and easy to understand examples of leadership approaches and ethics. Each approach has a questionnaire at the end of the chapter to help you assess what improvements you can make to be a more effective leader. I rented a copy for a Leadership Dynamics class, but will be buying a copy for reference.
Joshua Bowen
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I view this as the "leadership bible." It's a fantastic textbook outlining the prevalent models and theories of leadership, and includes strengths and weaknesses of each model/theory. A quality text to guide people's education to better understand the science of leadership.
Christopher Molleda
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is an excellent book that can apply to all aspects of life. This book provided a good history of leadership views and practices up to current positions. This was required reading for a course I am taking but definitely one to keep on the shelf.
Dan Webster
May 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Excellent overview of theories in leadership with a thoughtful analysis of the strengths and weaknesses of each. I specifically enjoyed the latter chapters of the book, including those on authentic leadership, the psychodynamic approach, and women and leadership.
Shymaa Ali
Sep 05, 2016 rated it liked it
It was a very good source of information, it includes many theories about the different leadership styles and how they fit into certain contexts. The book is written in an academic language, it might not be interesting to many, but it is a useful book.
Ericka
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good text book
Abner Huertas
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What makes this book different is that focuses leadership from a study perspective and not a motivational one.

it's a good resource to learn more about this subject.
Michelle King
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: leadership
An excellent book that explores leadership theory and studies on differing leadership approaches
Ma Mahlan
Dry
Curtis Robinson
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very thorough.

Mr. Northouse is very thorough in his approach to the theory and application for sustainable leadership! Great for all who lead and follow.
Amie Mabe
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was very eye opening and definitely changed my views of leadership.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Servant Leadership: A Journey Into the Nature of Legitimate Power and Greatness
  • Reframing Organizations: Artistry, Choice, and Leadership
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads on Leadership
  • The Courage to Teach: Exploring the Inner Landscape of a Teacher's Life
  • The Leadership Challenge
  • Leadership and the New Science: Discovering Order in a Chaotic World
  • Organizational Culture and Leadership (The Jossey-Bass Business & Management Series)
  • Leadership Without Easy Answers
  • Credibility: How Leaders Gain and Lose It, Why People Demand It
  • Leadership Is an Art
  • True North: Discover Your Authentic Leadership
  • Leading Change
  • The Practice of Adaptive Leadership: Tools and Tactics for Changing Your Organization and the World
  • The Fifth Discipline: The Art & Practice of The Learning Organization
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads on Strategy (including featured article “What Is Strategy?” by Michael E. Porter)
  • Research Design: Qualitative, Quantitative, and Mixed Methods Approaches
  • Presence: An Exploration of Profound Change in People, Organizations, and Society
  • Leadership on the Line: Staying Alive Through the Dangers of Leading
“women are obtaining undergraduate degrees at a far higher rate than men, and women are earning professional and doctorate degrees at a rate greater or nearly equal to that of men, but they are still vastly underrepresented in top leadership positions.” 0 likes
“experiences and the environment. The model postulates that effective problem solving and performance can be explained by the leader’s basic competencies and that these competencies are in turn affected by the leader’s attributes, experience, and environment.” 0 likes