Start by marking “Mokie and Bik” as Want to Read:
Mokie and Bik

Mokie and Bik

3.34  ·  Rating details ·  74 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
From Mokie & Bik:

Mokie and Bik lived on a boat called Bullfrog. They lived in it, on it, all around it—monkeying up ladders and down ropes, over the wheelhouse and across the cabin floor.
“Twins!” their mother shouted, because the lines of her Art jiggled and jarred when Mokie and Bik played bumpboats. “Get out from underfoot!”
So Bik bumped Mokie out the door—splat!—in
Published June 12th 2007 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Mokie and Bik, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mokie and Bik

Kristine Hansen
The rhyme and rhythm of this book is pure poetry. The author's voice so utterly perfect, the twinspeak funny and perfectly comprehensible. I wanted to read this book after finishing it, the second time out loud. This is one I have to own and will re-read whenever I need a smile and that feeling you get inside when you read the most perfect book.

That doesn't tell you a thing of what it's about - but saying it's a children's story about twins who live on a boat and have adventures certainly doesn'
Mehsi
What a terribly boring, bland book. :| Not to mention the library book really reeked of poo or something else that died a long time ago. :|
Heather
Sep 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Mokie and Bik are fraternal twins who live on a boat with their mom, their nanny, and some pets, which is just as exciting as it sounds. The art, by Jonathan Bean, is great: the cover, with Mokie swinging from a rope, pigtails flying, sets the tone of mischievousness and charm, and the endpapers are wonderful: they're cutaway drawings of the boat, Bullfrog, and its spaces and inhabitants, with the front endpapers set during the day and the back ones set at night. In both the images and the text, ...more
Jan
Jun 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I am such a sucker for a great kid's book that sounds wonderful when read aloud (think Elephant's Child). This one is written for a younger child, and will be fun for the adults who read it to them!
Mokie and Bik lived on a boat called Bullfrog. They lived in it, on it, all around it -- monkeying up ladders and down ropes, bump thump rumping from the steering drawers to the bouncy bunk.
They slip slide slippered in soggy socks on the slippery wet deck, and played cowboy on th
Kristy
Jul 03, 2008 rated it did not like it
I've been eyeing this book for months, just waiting for a chance read it. I wanted so much to love it. Instead, I found the twins' secret language to be forced and non-sensical. The story closely resembled Pippi Longstocking (troublesome children mess about until their adventuring father comes home.) Mom is very odd, choosing to leave the children as she goes off on her "botormike" and when they ask her where she's going, she says, "Ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies." When dad return ...more
Linda
Sep 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
I had hoped that this book, about two fraternal twins who live on a boat, would be clever cute and fun. Instead,I found it to be a bit weird. The twin language was rather cute at first, then became sort of annoying. If they were about 4 years old, it would be cute, but they're independent enough to be nearly twice that age. They seem like younger versions of a Pippi Longstocking type character. Maybe it would be more successful as a read-aloud, some of the language had a nice sing-song oral qual ...more
The Library Lady
Jun 16, 2008 rated it liked it
Everything about this book has the feeling of an earlier era--the art, the whole story line and the language remind me of something written by someone like Eleanor Estes or Eleanor Farjeon and illustrated by Louis Slobodkin. There's real charm here.

The twins "language", BTW is apparently something that's very common among twins, and may inspire other kids to make up their own secret words. This would make a very nice choice for reading with your own child on your lap, though I can't see using it
Mary Beth Pritzl
Jul 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: youth-and-child
Loved this book and so did my 8 yr old! We loved the language usage and creativity. My 8 year old loved the "different" use of words and had no trouble understanding and enjoying the stories. We viewed the chapters as different adventures and didn't feel they were not interconnected. It allowed us to put the book down and return for a new activity for Mokie and Bik. Will be one of my favs for kids for a long time.
Fluxbrarian
Mar 06, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: elementary
Mokie and Bik are mischievous twins who live on a boat, and they have their own lyrical, made-up language. Their mom drives a “botormike,” their artist mom may be busy “arting,” and dogs are called “waggles.” This moving up book is filled with plenty of appealing pen and ink illustrations which effectively break up the text and enliven the page. It’s attractive, but I found the slang to be tiresome. The intended audience may be more forgiving, and other reviews were more favorable.
Rachael
Jun 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
The plot was weak (if it existed at all), and all of the word play might make this book less attractive to kids, but it was what drew me in. More a series of vignettes about a pair of twins who live on a houseboat than a cohesive story, I found myself growing very fond of this book and its characters. Not enough to buy it, though, which says something in and of itself.
Janis
Sep 01, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
This is a cute book with a series of little events that happen to twins Mokie and Bik. However, it has a LOT of nonsense words so I would recommend it for reading out loud to kids, but not really for kids to read on their own. Very confusing for me to follow. I can only imagine how hard for an 8-9 year old.
Tanya
Aug 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chapter-book
Love Australian writers!

Interesting to read the reviews of this book. A love-hate relationship with the made-up language. Having children this age, they do just that, make up language, and what joy they have doing it! I feel joyful just watching their laughter at their new words. And so reading another "language" keeps their attention and keeps that lateral thinking active.
Mary Ann
Jun 20, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: elementary
All the ingredients are there to have a rollicking sea tale with humor and a sense of rhythm, but it never seems to jell. The Twins, their pets, nanny/cook, and scatter brained parents create unfilled potential. Even so, the text does offer the opportunity for creative editing, and young children could find that a challenge.
Heather
Nov 02, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
Cute story with really fun language. It's about a pair of twins who grow up on a boat with only each other and their pets to play with, so they develop their own crazy way of communicating. Felt something like a poem or a Dr. Seuss story. It would be fun to read aloud to my kids.
Lisa Nagel
Mar 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
I loved the look of this book and the illustrations. I just found the use of the nonsensical words distracting, as other reviewers have also said. Even so, there is enough here that I want o read it aloud and see what the kids think!
Laura Gardner
Sep 23, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: juv, for-a-class
I thought this was boring and a bit silly. I don't really like it when authors mess with words like flutterby instead of butterfly. My grandfather did that on purpose, but other than that, I find it pretty annoying.
Kristin
Feb 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
I loved this book. A wonderful read-aloud and a great transitional book for new chapter book readers. The use of language is wonderful!
John
Aug 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-ya
2007 is a good year for "bridge" chapter books, and this one leads the pack for its general look and wonderful use of invented language--a form of "Twinglish"
pati
A short book with lots if tongue twistery sentences and rollicking fun.
Leslie Conner
Dec 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This story contains difficult language for primary readers.
Mary Peterson
Nov 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade
I loved this book. The language is beautiful, I found myself reading aloud just for the fun of saying the words. Heavily illustrated with Jonathan Bean's energetic ink sketches
Kathleen
Aug 28, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-with-calder
I should clarify: T & C both loved this. Why wouldn't they? It's silly and adventurous and fun. It didn't offer much for me, but then again, I've read a lot worse.
Danette
Sep 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: lunchtime-books
A tongue-twisting read-aloud. I'd love to hear a good audio version.
Read to my children at lunch.
Brianna
Apr 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Well that was fun! A delightful short book for the imagination about twins who live on a boat.
Dianne White
Mar 16, 2008 rated it it was ok
I heard this was good, and chose it to read aloud to my class. I found the author's language, though playful, difficult to read, and annoying. There just wasn't enough story here.
Walter
Jan 28, 2008
Keiko
rated it did not like it
Apr 03, 2015
Jun 23, 2008
eisha
Aug 19, 2007
« previous 1 3 next »
I’m an author, but I could never have started writing books if I hadn’t loved reading them first. Reading isn’t just one of my favourite things to do; it’s one of the most important things in my life. I can’t imagine a world in which I couldn’t read, every day. That’s why I always read to my children every day, just as my parents used to read to me. Stories can be exciting, sad, funny, scary or co ...more
More about Wendy Orr...