Start by marking “The Road to Gobblers Knob: From Chile to Alaska on a Motorbike” as Want to Read:
The Road to Gobblers Knob: From Chile to Alaska on a Motorbike

The Road to Gobblers Knob: From Chile to Alaska on a Motorbike

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  60 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
This is a book about the Pan-American Highway including various twists and turns in the road, from the difficulties of getting bikes to Chile and the trials of South American border crossings, to the joys of the open road and the dubious delights of the local specialities.
Published September 1st 2007 by Blackstaff Press (first published April 23rd 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Road to Gobblers Knob, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Road to Gobblers Knob

Paul Devall
Aug 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: motorcycling
I bought this on the back of a previous bike trip that Geoff Hill written about a ride from India bringing tea home. A good pace and hardly comparable to any truck driving epic. The focus is on riding a motorcycle and the trials of the mode of transport.

Humorous and simply a good tale.

Update October 2017.

Re-read the book as holiday reading. I always have it with me. Not the tattered dog eared paperback to rival the bible hidden in hotel bedside table, but on my Kindle.

Next up. In Clancy's Boots
Greg
Jan 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Road to Gobblers Knob is a hilarious account of the real life adventures of Geoff Hill and his companion, Clifford Paterson as they ride their motorcycles from Chile to Alaska along the Pan-American Highway. This is a trip I would love to take myself if I had the time, and it was fun reading about their experiences. It doesn't hurt that Hill is an award-winning humor writer and journalist, and he certainly knows how to write.

I had previously read his other book, Way To Go, about two previou
Turi
Apr 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: motorcycle, travel
I had overlooked The Road to Gobblers Knob on the cataloging shelf at work until it actually got on my cart to look at. Once I did, I had to read it. A 6'6" Irish travel writer and ex-volleyball player rides a Triumph Tiger along the Pan-American Highway from Chile to Alaska. Lots to like there.

I really liked Geoff Hill's voice. He noodles off on silly jokes and philosophical wanderings sometimes, but you can tell they're all really heartfelt and genuine. Fun to read, although I'm sure I missed
Robert Davidson
Feb 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
a very interesting, entertaining travel story as only an irishman could tell. geoff always trys to see the funny side of the journey which is the only way to cope with such an amazing bike ride. one is always happy to read his trip and find there are always people everywhere who will show kindness to a stranger. there is hope for us yet.
Tom
Oct 25, 2007 rated it really liked it
daft man in middle-aged crisis does daft motorbike ride. and lives! maybe not as good as the Tim Cahill's Road Fever (who did the same journey in a truck) but still WAY Better than Ewan McGregor & Charlie Boorman.
Mary Dinan
Apr 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book. You feel as if you are on the bike with them; following all the adventures, the ups and the downs. Geoff maintains a humourous approach all the way through. The ONLY BOOK to read about the Pan American Highway. None other will do.
Anna
Mar 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Amazing, hilarious and will make you want to buy a motorbike and travel.
Jon
Oct 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: travel
Great start, really good sense of humour and sounds a real adventure but became a bit "and then we did..." towards the USA section.
Jamie
Nov 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: travel, humour
Very funny book. Does light entertainment very well. Possibly not so deep and meaningful, but I have a disproportionate love of humour so for that, it was perfect.
John
Dec 21, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: library_books, travel
The story itself was interesting, but I didn't bond as a reader with the author and his sidekick.
Kathleen
Dec 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Unputdownable! I very readable tale of a motorcycle journey.
Lucius
Sep 10, 2011 rated it liked it
Good book to read for someone who is interested in making such a journey. Hill is sometimes silly, but always funny. There are even some touching moments in the book.
Roger Griffiths