Start by marking “Where the Evil Dwells” as Want to Read:
Where the Evil Dwells

Where the Evil Dwells

3.42  ·  Rating details ·  317 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Secretly and in stealth, four puny humans set out to invade the heartland of Evil - the so-called Empty Lands, filled with every evil creature from the darkest of mankind's myths.

Harcourt went reluctantly to rescue his long-lost and almost forgotten fiancee. The Knurly Man, who was somewhat other than quite human, went to find the death that would be kinder than the future
Published December 12th 1985 by Del Rey (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Where the Evil Dwells, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where the Evil Dwells

Isen
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Where the Evil Dwells is set in an alternate timeline where in late antiquity Central Europe was swarmed by a horde of ogres, trolls, fairies, dragons, harpies, and other beasts collectively known as the Evil. Some of the Evil are more beastly than others, but altogether they are not a divided band of miscreants, but seem to have some sort of a confederate structure and are able to present a united front to the Romans. Initially this was bad news for the empire, but ironically the presence of th ...more
Robert Spencer
Jan 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
Wish I could rate this higher as it holds some sentimental value for me, being my first intro to non-Tolkien fantasy novels. When I was 11 or 12, I thought this was fantastic. Coming back to it now, the writing leaves a lot to be desired, to be honest. Awkward prose, even more awkward dialogue, a pretty nonsensical plot, and not particularly pacey either! Still, worth the trip down memory lane, but I wouldn't recommend this as a great book to anyone.
Mawgojzeta
I never thought I could be disappointed in a Simak book. While the story itself was technically fine, I really disliked Harcourt. What a jerk; tainted the entire book for me. I do not mind a dislikeable character in theory, but we are suppose to be rooting for this ass. Ugh. Anyway, I did not hate the book, but I will not be rereading it.
Bradley
Dec 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Rich story but not exactly for me. Pretty bleak. =)
Ren Bedell
May 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: book
A quest-fantasy story where a group of people in Medieval Europe go into a mystical land where magical creatures and danger abound. It is a very typical fantasy story that is not well written. The dialogue is poor and the plot and characters are not interesting. The plot is straight-forward. Evil is just evil. And the religious aspects are more annoying then plot moving or thought provoking.
Андрій Гулкевич
Непогане фентезі, хоча нагадує інші твори Сімака у цьому стилі. Простежується подібність сюжетної лінії та персонажів, які мали місце у "Паломництві в магію" та "Братстві талісмана". Чимось нагадало Гобіта.
Joseph Hutt
Jul 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
I picked this book up from the library after hearing some glowing reviews about Simak's writing. This book is not representative of this claim (in a similar way to which the above GoodReads description isn't).

I agree with many of the reviews below. The story is filled with awkward prose and dialogue, plagued with the unnecessary and oh-so-noticeable repetition of facts. Not to mention the fact that Simak tends to repeat certain details over and over, in an unnecessary and oh-so-noticeable manne
Howard Brazee
Sep 09, 2014 rated it it was ok
I have fond memories of Clifford D. Simak books, and when I saw this one that I've never read, I was quick to buy it, despite the title. But I never finished it.

First - the title is a turn off, as so many people like a fantasy "evil", that is somehow so much worse than having political and religious leaders advocate war. But those guys get a pass. I find such a belief to be repugnant.

I liked the basic environment - of a world where an area of "evil", with trolls and dragons and such exist betwee
Иван Величков
Две неща мога да заявя за Клифърд Саймък:
1. Автор фантаст, който безкрайно уважавам
2. Изобщо не може да пише фентъзи.
"Царството на злото" е идеален пример за второто. Цялото действие може да проследите в анотацията на гърба на книгата. Точно така, нищо друго не се случва и е също толкова скучно. Има някаква хилядолетна римска империя, от която са главните действащи лица(сърце не ми дава да ги нарека герои), но устройството, имената и съществата в Пустата земя миришат на Англия от 16-17 век. Моти
Mike
Jan 09, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This must be the first "alternate history" fantasy book I ever read. Rome has been spared the barbarian invasions that ended the western empire, and instead is cut off from the barbarian world by the incursion of "evil" in the form of various fantasy creatures like harpies and trolls. Shades of "the Enchanted pilgrimage," with a mixed bag of companions on a quest that turns out differently than they expected. Having read it so long ago I can't vouch for writing quality but is was a fun diversion ...more
Rusty
Jul 19, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
It's the 20th century and Rome never fell. Harcourt, the Knurly Man and two others venture across the river into southern Europe where the Evil dwell - ogres, dragons, goblins, etc. - to retrieve an artifact. Not particularly inventive, creative, the characters are boring and cliched, and the writing is clumsy.
Walter Underwood
Sep 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Fantasy is clearly not Simak's best genre, but this is an interesting diversion. A bit of alternate history, a bit of sword and sorcery, and a quest that might not be a good idea. I like the little twists -- people aren't quite what they seem, the evil is more out of place than really evil, and the goals, when attained, have a different worth than expected.
PPWinner
Oct 29, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Hmmm, à mon avis, loin d'être le meilleur Simak, on dirait un essai rater dans le genre "Whay if" avec un grain d'héroic-fantasy. En sachant que j'affectionne tout particulièrement "Demain les Chiens", je suis assez déçu de ce livre. Vite vite, un autre livre pour faire oublier celui-ci.
John
Feb 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A good Simak pastoral story. The protagonists were mistrustful to an annoying degree. Did Charles Harcourt fulfill his obligation to the troll? An abundance of last second magical saves. I wonder if this could have been conceived as the first of a series?
Nick Nicolov
Apr 22, 2016 rated it did not like it
The worst book I've ever read. Blatantly copying from the Wheel of time and Lord of the Rings but without the artistic talent to event be a proper imitation of these great series. Characters are dull and mediocre tropes, the world is uninteresting and clinched and the dialogue is cringe. AVOID!!!!!
John
False
Mitchell
Mar 12, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: won-t-reread, own
This book appeared at random, and has been on my to-read pile for some time now. Clifford Simak is a nebula grand master but this is a later and lesser book and not worth re-reading. 3 of 5.
The Book Hermit
Mar 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The first book I ever read back in 1984.
Timothy Boyd
An interesting story line. Quick easy read. Recommended to a young or beginning fantasy reader
Alexandr Subbotin
Nov 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
По мне так это лучшее Фентези из того, что пока прочитал.
Anna
Jan 04, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always find the begging of Simak books very chaotic and slow but then the action starts and it's really good. Many different characters and situations. The end was clear but came too fast for me.
Greg
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
Weak stuff from Simak. Unlikable characters made bearable only by some clever action scenes.
Charlene
Edgaras
Jul 31, 2012
  • True Names... and Other Dangers
  • Modern Classics of Science Fiction
  • The Black Mountains (Empire of the East, #2)
  • Black Star Rising
  • Maori
  • Diadem from the Stars
  • Agent of the Terran Empire (Flandry, #3)
  • Changeling
  • The Cyborg and the Sorcerers (War Surplus, #1)
  • To the Stars (Omnibus)
  • The Complete Stories of Theodore Sturgeon, Volume 1: The Ultimate Egoist
  • Traitor to the Living
  • Paradise (Galactic Comedy #1)
  • King Kobold Revived (Warlock, #3)
  • Cold Allies
"He was honored by fans with three Hugo awards and by colleagues with one Nebula award and was named the third Grand Master by the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America (SFWA) in 1977." (Wikipedia)

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clifford...
More about Clifford D. Simak

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • An Unwelcome Quest
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Luna: New Moon
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)