Start by marking “The Black Stallion Revolts” as Want to Read:
The Black Stallion Revolts

The Black Stallion Revolts (The Black Stallion #9)

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  2,999 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
After the Black attacks another horse, Alec realizes that the once-wild horse needs more space and freedom, so they head out west to a huge ranch. But a terrible accident separates the two, leaving Alec with amnesia and the Black alone to reclaim the wild life to which he was born. As the Black struggles to survive, and as Alec struggles to remember who he is and his conne ...more
Published September 28th 2011 by Yearling (first published 1953)

To ask other readers questions about The Black Stallion Revolts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Black Stallion Revolts

Sam Afton
Dec 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: five-star
There were some parts where I wanted to scream at the book, "No! You're wrong! His name is ALEC not McGregor! AAAAAALLLLLLLLEEEEEEECCCCCC!!!!!!" It was so frustrating, watching a good kid like Alec believe he was a criminal and a murderer. This one was so good! It made me hate amnesia SO MUCH!!!!!
Mirrani
Apr 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Adventure stories are just that: adventure. They are stories that take you out into the jungle, deep into the desert, or out into the wild unknown. Adventure stories aren't based on reality, they are designed to pick you up onto their shoulders and race off with you into uncharted territory, make you feel the wind in your hair and the excitement in your heart, all without making you leave your chair. This is what Farley does so well. You pick up a book about the Black Stallion because you want t ...more
Tania
Nov 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alec and The Black return to the wild in The Black Stallion Revolts, in an adventure that rivals the action and excitement captured in the first two books of the series. When Henry decides that Alec and The Black need a vacation, he sends them west. Little does he realize the danger that awaits them. When the duo disappears, only they can find their way back to each other and to the people they left behind.

The Black Stallion Revolts starts off slow, there's quite a bit of recapping that takes pl
Melody
Sep 14, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
One of the weaker entries in the canon. In this ninth book in the series, Farley hits cliche after cliche, starting with plane crash, moving through amnesia, heartless truckers, good-hearted rich guys who gave it all up, clueless cattle ranchers. Not that I didn't read every word- breathless plotting was one of Farley's gifts, and the ability to make one care despite the ludicrous situation. And nobody, but nobody, can write a race scene like him.
Tamara Catlin
Sep 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Found it at the opshop and had to read it again..... What a memory ..... I loved these books....
Kristen Coffin
Jun 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals
"You can’t blame people for loving any kind of race, no matter how long or how short, and for loving their horses regardless of their type or breed."

A really interesting Black Stallion adventure in that it doesn't have anything to do with the racing world. I like this one, because it proves again the love the Black has for Alec.
Susanna Grant
May 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
loved every book in this series....my best friend Laura and I couldn't read them fast enough
Stephine D
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: done
Some people might wonder what kind of things that were effective this book.This is called the black stallion revolts lost in the wilderness and it's by Walter Farley. The first thing that was really effective was that how the writer wrote the book people say that he was really effective with the writing at the Bennington it's slow but it's gets faster within the book. The second thing that was effective was thing when the main person got amnesia and he needed to find out what who he was and all ...more
Rena Sherwood
I really did not like this when I first read it when I was about 9 years old. It does have a lot of continuity problems with The Black Stallion's Filly, The Black Stallion's Sulky Colt and The Black Stallion's Courage. Also, I think this is the book where the Black is mistakenly described as having a pink muzzle. As I got older, I appreciated this quirky adventure story more and more. It's one of the most distinctive books of the series. My favorite part: the Black being given the name Range Bos ...more
Saphirablue
Wendy
This was another 'okay' installment, but less okay than the other ones because it was kind of a shaggy dog story. There was no point, which is always frustrating...you could literally skip this one and not notice for the rest of the series, I think it gets mentioned in one line in the next book.

But if you want to read the whole series, then this one isn't all the bad where you won't be able to get through it.
Rachel
Sep 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any child
I've read the entire Black Stallion series multiple times but this one is my favorite. The Black has been out to stud for a while but because a series of events, Alec winds up racing the Black again. And, of course, he's victorious. It's a very satisfying read for anyone who has read Farley's books.
Lynne Stringer
Emily
Sep 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childhood-favs
This was actually the first book I read from the Black Stallion series. I read the 1950s, green, hard-cover edition because it was sitting on our bookshelf at home and it had a horse on the cover. lol In this one Alec gets amnesia, so it stands out from a lot of the plots in the series. After reading it, I was hooked and read the entire series.
Lisa James
I wasn't as impressed with this one, but it did bring back the Black's past as a desert stallion, even though he had been a successful race horse & sire in previous books we've read. I kind of thought the plot twist with Alec getting amnesia & having to remember was a little predictable, but then I also remember that these are kids' books! it's still a really good story.
Relstuart
Sep 06, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It has been a long time since I read this book but I remember really enjoying it. The main Character loses him memory and the Black gets lost. Interesting how they still meet up and end up riding and racing. Lots of fun. :)
Bonnie
Jul 26, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Black Stallion's Filly and The Black Stallion Revolts by Walter Farley - Two of the ones I actually liked again, after a streak of books in the series that I found I didn't care much for as an adult.
Sharon
Jan 09, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childhood, horses
I raced through this series as a child. Of course, "The Black Stallion" was my favorite, and I read it a few times, but I waited eagerly for any of the books to return to my branch of the library so I could snap them up.
Rochelle
My dad was reading this to me when a tornado destroyed our house in 1985. I always remembered the beginning and wanted to know the ending. It only took me a quarter of a century to find out. Not too shabby of a read by Mr. Farley. I love kids books that were written pre-1970.
Serena
Jan 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals, 20th-century

My Rating System:
Diane Wachter
The Black Stallion Revolts, Black Stallion Series, Book 5, Walter Farley, PB-B @ 1977, 3/78. The once-wild horse needs more space and freedom, so they head out west to a huge ranch. But an accident leaves Alec with amnesia and the Black alone to reclaim his wild life. Okay.
Tara Calaby
I gobbled up all of these books when I was in my horse phase.
Aisha
Oct 05, 2010 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
i like it alot
Lara
Feb 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is so good. I loved it.
Lori
Mar 30, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The first book was the story of a boy and a horse, but the series grows with books on similar themes of overcoming adversity and animal/human bonding. Loved them as a kid.
Cws
JAR5-Far
Reuben
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: home-read, fiction
Great plot and ending
Jared Dunn
Apr 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A big battle for life!!!
Lea Murack
Aug 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

One of my favorites of the series. I love to re- read this adventure!
  • Born to Trot
  • The Black Stallion and the Shape-Shifter (Black Stallion Returns, #3)
  • Thunderhead (Flicka, #2)
  • Wonder's Promise (Thoroughbred, #2)
Walter Farley's love for horses began when he was a small boy living in Syracuse, New York, and continued as he grew up in New York City, where his family moved. Young Walter never owned a horse. But unlike most city children, he had little trouble gaining firsthand experience with horses-his uncle was a professional horseman, and Walter spent much of his time at the stables with him.

"He wasn't th
More about Walter Farley...

The Black Stallion (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • The Black Stallion (The Black Stallion, #1)
  • The Black Stallion Returns (The Black Stallion, #2)
  • Son of the Black Stallion (The Black Stallion, #3)
  • The Island Stallion (The Black Stallion, #4)
  • The Black Stallion and Satan (The Black Stallion, #5)
  • The Black Stallion's Blood Bay Colt (The Black Stallion, #6)
  • The Island Stallion's Fury (The Black Stallion, #7)
  • The Black Stallion's Filly (The Black Stallion, #8)
  • The Black Stallion's Sulky Colt (The Black Stallion, #10)
  • The Island Stallion Races (The Black Stallion, #11)