Start by marking “On the Wrong Track” as Want to Read:
On the Wrong Track

On the Wrong Track

(Holmes On the Range #2)

Gustav "Old Red" Amlingmeyer is an old-fashioned kind of guy: He prefers a long trail ride even when a train ticket can get him where he's going in one-tenth the time. So when it's Old Red who insists on guarding the Pacific Express, despite a generations-old family distrust of the farm stealin', cattle-killin', money-grubbing' railroads, Big Red is flummoxed. But as usual ...more
Audio CD
Published March 20th 2007 by Tantor Media (first published March 6th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about On the Wrong Track, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On the Wrong Track

Start your review of On the Wrong Track
Glen
A great entry in a series that should be much better known.

The Almingmeyer Brothers are trying to find work as detectives. By chance, they meet a drunken, but legendary railroad detective, who recommends them for a job with the Southern Pacific. The brothers hate the railroads, and Gustav gets railroad sick.

There's a gang robbing the train, and murder, and mysterious boxes, and coffins, and all sorts of things stuffed into the plot, but the story never seems rushed or crowded. The solution is fa
Judi Spencer
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really good twist

This book was a fun read . You were not sure what was going to develope, but you knew it was going to be good clean fun, even if there was a lot of death involved. The charecters were realistic and enjoyable. The plot was interesting and we'll hidden until the Mid book and then not too obvious until the end. I will read more of this authors work.
Jackie
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great Holmes on the Range mystery.
Cathy Cole
Jan 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First Line: Few things dampen a man's appreciation for natural splendor more quickly than the sound of another man's retching.

The man who's retching? Gustav "Old Red" Amlingmeyer. The man who has to listen to him? His brother, Otto "Big Red" Amlingmeyer. Something more is disagreeing with Old Red than the fact that he's traveling on a train. In fact, he has his brother completely mystified. You see, Old Red has the deep distrust of railroads that just about everyone does who's been raised on a f
M.
On the Wrong Track is the second in the series following drovers Otto (Big Red) and Gustav (Old Red) Amlingmeyer, brothers and readers of Sherlock Holmes in the Old West.

Despite the fact that they make him toss his cookies, Gustav convinces his younger brother Otto to sign on with the Southern Pacific Railroad as undercover detectives. What follows is the train ride from Hell, as it becomes evident that one of the riders is a ruthless killer!

Like the first book in the series (Holmes on the Range
David Monroe
Cowboys Otto “Big Red” Amlingmeyer and his brother Gustav “Old Red” are back and they're tired. Tired of saddle sores and long trail rides. Old Red insists they sign on to protect the luxurious new Pacific Express, despite a generations-old Amlingmeyer family distrust of the farm-stealin', cattle-killin', money-grubbin' railroads. Old Red knows that little brother, Big Red wants to take a stab at professional ‘detectifying’ just like his hero, Sherlock Holmes so they quickly find themselves hire ...more
Linda
May 29, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a hoot! The author, with tongue firmly planted in cheek (just look at the subtitle), writes a good yarn that holds your interest and stretches believability just enough to be fun. A nod to the narrator, William Dufris, who handles multiple voices well, including the females. His reading might be jarring to those unaccustomed to the B western style of old Hollywood but stick with it. It's supposed to be humorous and a bit goofy. Recommended for anyone who wants to enjoy a lighthearted romp i ...more
Chad
Jan 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this audio book so much that I am searching my local libraries to find the rest of the series. If you enjoy westerns or mysteries you will enjoy this book. If you enjoy both categories you are in for a treat. Add humor to the storyline and it takes this 4 star rating to five stars which I do not give freely. I recommend this book to reader of all ages. There is some death and a few choice words that place it in the PG range, but it is a great story that all readers/listeners will enjoy ...more
Pamela
'Holmes' style sleuthing loaded with pistol packing humor. A quirky and original western whodunit that would have been delightfully enjoyable if not for a plethora of expletives. I don't mind a bit of coarse language here and there, but this book is riddled with damnation. As in, every other page someone's dragging the Lord's name through the mud. After one-hundred pages, it became tiresome trying to skip over it all; not to mention, disappointing. I just had to shut the book and move on.......

VerJean
It had "Holmes" in the title - so I was a sucker for it !
The first of this series was - "Holmes on the Range"
and it was not exactly what I was expecting, but it was a hoot and although I cringed at the rather 'low' humor - couldn't help but laugh and enjoy the goofy brother and the references to Holmes, fresh twist on cowboy life and the mystery to be solved.
I'll be checking the rest of the series out of the library.
(Will apply this to the others I've read, also).
Read in 2011.
Clay Davis
Nov 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good sequel to the first book. I like the adventures of the two main characters.
Brandt
Feb 27, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, mystery
I began reading Steve Hockensmith's Holmes on the Range series because I had been recently reminded of the existence of Molly Tanzer and her book Vermilion, which was an excellent steampunk Western and just at that moment my friend Dave had posted a picture of one of the Holmes on the Range books on Facebook right as I had this thought. "What is that?" I asked, hoping that a Western mystery would scratch a couple of my itches. I enjoyed the first of those Holmes on the Range books, and was excit ...more
Peggy
Sep 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this audiobook. Gustav (Old Red) and Otto (Big Red) Amlingmeyer are brothers in the old west, 1893. They are cattle drovers, working ranches. Gustav is the elder brother, but cannot read. Otto reads to Gustav. When Otto reads the Sherlock Holmes stories to Gustav he is more than mesmerized, he is transformed. Gustav wants to be a detective. Otto dreams of being a writer and has written a book about their adventures in the first book in this series. Together they are trying to make ...more
Karen
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-copy
I loved this story!

The brothers are on a train from Ogden to Oakland performing Southern Pacific Rail Road detective duties and they encounter more than pick pockets and con men.

First off they have to deal with the death of the baggage car employee, and then be held up by train robbers.

There is a famous Pinkerton agent on board, but as he is drunk most of the time, they are hard pressed to get much help from him.

Two coffins play their part, as well as undercover agents and a snake, let loose.

I w
Susan Miller
Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another yarn of detectifying from the brothers Big Red & Old Red. This one takes place on the S & P railroad and involves bandits that have been holding up trains. Most notably the bandits got away with gold bars worth quite a sum of money.

Big Red & Old Red find themselves riding the rails to keep order and safety for all. There are a few twists along the track so you better hold on. Watch out for snakes and packages of great heft.

Emily Cullen
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Taking a break from being cowboys, Old Red and Big Red Amlingmeyer take guarding jobs for the railroad. A gang of outlaws, secrets and a killer allow Old Red to practice his “detectifying” skills, just like his hero, Sherlock Holmes. I really like the “Holmes on the Range” mystery stories. Good characters, mysteries and the Wild West, why not?
Don
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Much easier read than his first book. The dialogue in Holmes on the Range was too awkward for me but I Soldiered through it; this one however didn’t have all of the difficult dialogue that slowed down and impeded the reading process and hence overall enjoyment.
Jamie
The second book in this series killed it for me to read the rest. Some of the story is just too much "duh" for me. Sometimes a little too painful and hard to keep interested in. I like the concept of the story, but just a little too blah.
Jon
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
it's been a long time since I read Holmes on the Range and I'm sorry I took so long to read the next book. A very entertaining, funny, thrill packed yarn. Old Red and Big Red are my kind of flawed big- hearted heroes. I would love to see a some sort of Netflix type series based on these books.
Kiran Digavalli
Mar 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even funnier than the first volume, with characters more caricature-ish and a tense, well thought-out locked-room plot. Digs at the railroad barons of the 1890s and tension over universal suffrage continue book 1's social conscience.
Nancy Cook-senn
May 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gustav and Otto spend three rollicking days aboard (and getting flung off) the Southern Pacific, battling mounted train robbers, crooked railroad employees, bratty kids, and, for Gustav, motion sickness.Fun and folksy!
Robbie
I enjoyed this book, but not quite as much as the first in the series. I still plan to read more of these - looking forward to seeing how the brothers progress towards their dream of being detectives. I rate this one 4.7 stars.
S
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reliable-authors
Hilarious, smart, charming with two of the most lovable characters I've read about in a while. What a nice, original homage to the Watson and Holmes characters.

Can't recommend enough.
MJ
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story line with a bit of twists and turns. This is Sherlock Holmes Light.
Betty Hesaltine
Audiobook. Nothing special but nothing bad.
Theunis Snyman
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actually four and a half stars. Exciting and witty, with a good dollop of mystery as well as cryptic remarks by the detective. I love the two cowboy detectives and I love trains and railroads.

Gregory
While the books was quite enjoyable I did find that it was rather slow in some places. I didn't keep me as fixated I would have liked the action.
Jacqueline K
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining! Not quite the witticisms of the first books, but a stronger character development of the brothers and their relationship.
Ryan Boros
Hell on wheels
Being Chinese in the Old West
Coping with the fear of chasing your dreams
Susan
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: train-mysteries
Enjoyable, fun, fast read!
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Tamed by a Duke (Wilful Wallflowers #1)
  • The Lords of the Wind  (The Saga of Hasting the Avenger, #1)
  • Death of a Hussy (Hamish Macbeth, #5)
  • Stone Cold (Jesse Stone, #4)
  • Arf (Bowser and Birdie #2)
  • Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Bernie Rhodenbarr, #1)
  • Booked To Die (Cliff Janeway, #1)
  • Burn
  • Transformed: A Navy SEAL's Unlikely Journey from the Throne of Africa, to the Streets of the Bronx, to Defying All Odds
  • The Duke (Silver Linings Mysteries, #6)
  • Sauce for the Gander (The Marstone #1)
  • Wish Upon a Duke (12 Dukes of Christmas #3)
  • The Cutting Place (Maeve Kerrigan #9)
  • Land of Wolves
  • Imperiled by a Lady's Love: A Historical Regency Romance Book
  • Hoax: Donald Trump, Fox News, and the Dangerous Distortion of Truth
  • Witness of Bones (Joan and Matthew Stock Mystery Book 7)
  • Night Shift Dragons (DFZ, #3)
Steve Hockensmith is the author of the New York Times bestseller Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: Dawn of the Dreadfuls and several other novels, including the Edgar Award finalist Holmes on the Range. He lives in Alameda, California.

Holmes On the Range (8 books)
  • Holmes on the Range (Holmes on the Range, #1)
  • The Black Dove (Holmes on the Range, #3)
  • The Crack in the Lens (Holmes on the Range, #4)
  • World's Greatest Sleuth! (Holmes on the Range, #5)
  • The Double-A Western Detective Agency (Holmes on the Range, #6)
  • The Holmes on the Range Mysteries (Holmes On the Range #1-5)
  • Dear Mr. Holmes: Seven Holmes on the Range Mysteries