Start by marking “The Final Diagnosis” as Want to Read:
The Final Diagnosis

The Final Diagnosis

A look at the workings of a modern day hospital through the lens of the pathologists department.
Mass Market Paperback, 310 pages
Published December 1st 1985 by Dell (first published 1959)

To ask other readers questions about The Final Diagnosis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Final Diagnosis

Start your review of The Final Diagnosis
Vishnupriya
Nov 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Vishnupriya by: Dad
I'm simply loving this one. Unable to put down the book. Once you are in to it, you are hooked and the impact is great! This book definitely is different from what i have/ used to read until now. Not the traditional thriller/ fiction types.

It's always been one of my Dad's highly recommended books to me and for some strange reason i had only kept postponing and now, i only wish i had not.

i recommend one to read to know what it takes to run the show in a hospital and you get a perspective on thi
Maria Velb
Jan 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
reading Arthur Hailey is like swimming in a pool full of pleasant water. His books don't make you think, they make you feel. After reading you have pocketful of emotions and new knowledge.
The Final Diagnosis is the best way to chill out after a hard day or to escape to the world full of other people's troubles and worries from your own. This book shows some aspects of a chief-job, those aspects that sometimes hidden in a bunch of money and power.
Akshay S Dinesh
Jun 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: medical-reads
Beautiful. The duration of the story is short, but the author has gone out to give life history of all the main characters.
Captivating. As a medical student there were so many things I could relate to, and I'm sure when I become a doctor the number will only increase.
Touching. I had tears in my eyes, twice.

Above all, this book is a great lesson in understanding people and their actions.
Raksha Bhat
May 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Being a doctor myself who works with the laboratories in the hospitals there was not one thing I could not relate to with the issues that happen in the story.A point for Dr. Pearson's advice to Dr. Coleman in the end, very practical stuff. However it is very medically written therefore not everyone may get the flow.
VijayaRaghavan S N
Feb 21, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: None
Recommended to VijayaRaghavan by: Hari Govind
With the amount of hype with which I started reading this book I thought I would never keep down this book. But instead, I found it hard to take the book again and turn the pages to the page I read last and then continue reading. So I asked the people who instilled this false hype in me whether they read this particular book. And then I came to know the bizarre truth. They haven't read this particular book but they have read another one of the same author.

The books starts at a snail'
Anupama
Apr 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
"Right" and "wrong" are fuzzy in the field of medicine. How lives can be made, or shattered, by a single decision! How much can depend on a single test! How dramatic the consequences of one diagnosis can be!

A story through the lens of a pathology lab, this had me riveted. We don't quite value pathologists enough, always reserving our praise for the kind physicians and fancy surgeons. This should change. A great read!
Jagadish Pai
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gripping Novel

Fast paced story with extremely interesting characters woven into realistic episodes. Descriptions are so vivid one can actually visualise things happening in front of your eyes. Author must have done a lot of research. Highly enjoyable book with a feel good factor.
alper
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was depressed by the end of story for some characters.:(
Shako
Jul 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
good storyline, realistic but never felt the rush to hold on to the book, was a relaxed read .
Purbali
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another medical fiction beautifully written.
The final diagnosis takes the reader on the journey of the lives inside the hospitals which include not only the doctors but also the nurses, technicians and the administrative staff.

Set in a time,which in comparison to the present day medical field, can be called outdated, yet it portrays very vividly of what goes on in a hospital, the truckload of work involved and the struggle of the patients as well as the doctors.

The
Chaitalee Ghosalkar
Aug 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
For starters, the research shows.

As detailed as the author in his delineation of the workings of a hospital, at no point do things become cumbersome. Both the administrative workings of the hospital and the medical cases interspersed throughout go hand in hand, and the reader is spoilt for choice in case he/she already has a soft spot for the inclusion of one of the two.

A happy ending is hard to ask for; even so the end doesn't lean towards tragic. Death and calamity is a
Lilium
May 14, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an extremely easy book to read, and yes medical facts in here are outdated, but the theme and human relationships are universal. This is not a type of book that thesis and essays will be based but still it will somehow always find a way to a reader. It's a pretty lighthearted book despite it deals with sickness and deaths, at least for me it was. And although I'm not really completely head over heels mad for the book I think it's really good and it gave me a couple of enjoyable hours of ...more
Elayakumar
Mar 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I read this book long back. But I still remember Dr David Coleman.
Benign or malignant? It ended as benign. great story.
Avi Kulkarni
Great Book
Akhil
Nov 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english, 2016
Felt Grey's Anatomy (2005) series is inspired by this 1959 book ;) .
Wsm
Apr 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: arthur-hailey
Arthur Hailey explores the inner workings of a hospital and the possibilities of errors by doctors which can have catastrophic consequences for patients.A solid medical thriller.
Arvind
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
My 9th book by Hailey and done with him. Lets see if I can work out the Hailey recipe -
a) An organisation that is under stress financially.
b) A protagonist who is professionally competent, honest and has empathy. May not be faithful to spouse.
c) Another central character who is vastly experienced and resistant to change. While competent, lacks empathy and is arrogant.
d) A tragedy caused by (c) which (b) tries hard to avoid.
e) A few side-plots in which other characte
Jo Carol
Sep 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Fast reading if u are into medical stuff. Keeps your interest. I usually don't read fiction,but this was enjoyable to pass the time.
Krishna Kumar
May 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
The title of this novel refers to the autopsies done by the pathology department where they make the final determination about the cause of death of a deceased patient. But pathology also has to do the analysis of tissues and other body matter of living patients to find what is wrong with them, providing the input to doctors in various departments of the hospital to take further action. Sometimes the right diagnosis can mean the difference between life and death.

Hailey’s “The Final D
Rajesh
Nov 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arthur-hailey
Yet another story woven around yet another pillar of modern society. If in "Strong Medicine" we saw the pharmaceutical side, we now , in "Final Diagnosis", get to see the issues & facts that seem to surround the underbelly of any medical practice, namely, pathology. To me they both appear to be two sides of the same coin. One cannot exist without the other and the latter especially playing a critical role of leading the medical practitioners in the right direction in deciding the most correc ...more
Carla8669
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Typical Arthur Hailey

I love this author. He depicts well the industry that is the backdrop for this book. The people are real and multi-dimensional. I read a number of his books in high school, but somehow missed this one. Main lesson - keep up and never stop learning.
Chetan Sullabiah
Jan 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: medical, fiction
Paula Dembeck
Jun 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Three Counties Hospital’s best days are gone and it is being threatened by the inability of its leaders to change and face new challenges. This is largely because of the conflict between two groups of physicians, the reformers and those who want to stick with the status quo.

At the center of the conflict is Dr. Joseph Pearson, a sixty-six year old pathologist who is obstinate, opinionated, brilliant but resistant to change. A number of tragic events have occurred: negligent cases with one common
Shreya Chandwadkar
"So, do you feel like playing God ?"

The story follows Joe Pearson, an old pathologist who has been getting a few complaints about his department from the rest of the hospital, but still refuses to accept extra help and is adamant on running the department alone.

A heartwarming story of how a decision can make or break some one's life.
Aptly called the final diagnosis, the book keeps you engaged with short chapters and brisk changes between the many character's story l
Berk Rourke
Jun 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a truly wonderful book written by a highly competent and brilliant author. It is possible to get a little lost in the minutiae of medical information in the book but it all has a purpose. The setting is a hospital. It could be any hospital. The administration is struggling with older equipment in some parts of the hospital, and one older doctor who is critical to its operation, that being the pathologist. He has not kept up with some kinds of tests. One of those tests deals with Rh Facto ...more
Gaurav
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very nice book lot of research has gone into collectiing facts about the functioning of the hospital's and there diferent departments

Plus the dirty political games being played at the cost of the patients life a must read book for everyone
Soumyabrata Sarkar
An authentic medical fiction, that feels pretty real and lively, once you see how the author have carefully and sequentially ensnared you into the world of these people of the Three County Hospital.
Given this book is written on 1958, and been witness to a number of other medical fiction in prose/reel, all I can say is, you can clearly see how this book may have inspired almost everyone of them(maybe?).
People who are already in medical area, may find this much more enjoyable than common fo
Zach Franz
Jun 11, 2017 rated it liked it
From the author of "Airport" (which the 1970 movie, of the same name, is based upon). In terms of scope and drama (though not necessarily overall quality), Hailey's book is reminiscent of "Gone With the Wind" and the bevy of emotion-heavy sagas that flooded the book market in the 70's and 80's ("North and South", etc.). Some of the writing goes too far--characters call each other 'darling' and mean it, there are far too many exclamation points--but that's much more a product of time than executi ...more
Shweta
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: medicine, genre-fic
While most of Arthur Hailey's books are industry based it wasn't until I read Final Diagnosis did I actually pay good attention. You seen when you are a new adult and all these bookish possibilities have opened up (read ability to order off the internet) you are but eager to take full advantage by bull dozing through all the popular literature.

With Final Diagnosis I could relate to the plot. I was in medical school then and the idea of healers being not so perfect was just about sinking in. I r
Dharmabum
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read it for the second time. The last time was perhaps two decades ago. Despite this, I simply couldn't put it down from the moment I picked it up. It is typical Hailey - lots of research. The characters are quickly introduced, and strongly etched out. The narration is racy. There are poignant moments - medical, and otherwise. The former, I could relate to well, perhaps also because I come from a family of doctors. I was a tad disappointed by the last bit of advice from the outgoing pathologis ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Hejno bez ptáků
  • Give Me This Mountain
  • Green Light
  • Adventures in Two Worlds
Arthur Hailey was a British/Canadian novelist. After working at a number of jobs and writing part-time, he became a writer full-time during 1956, encouraged by the success of the CBC television drama, Flight into Danger (in print as Runway Zero Eight ). Following the success of Hotel in 1965, he moved to California; followed by a permanent move to the Bahamas in 1969.

Each of his novels has a differen
“При патологията имаше и нещо друго. Тук твърде лесно можеше да изгубиш чувството си за реалност, убедеността си, че медицината е призвана да служи на хората. Ето този мозък например... Та само преди броени часове той е бил център на съзнанието на един човек. Координирал е усещанията му - докосване, мирис, вкус... Имал е мисли, познавал е любовта, страха, победата... Вчера, дори днес, този мозък е карал очите да плачат, устата да говори... Човекът е бил строителен инженер. Следователно този мозък е боравел с математически категории, понасял е умствено натоварване, строил е жилища или пък пътища, язовири, катедрали... Помагал е на други човешки същества да живеят по-добре. А какво представлява сега? Известно количество тъкан, която ще бъде нарязана на филии, изследвана и после изгорена.” 2 likes
“shrugging” 0 likes