Start by marking “The Slow Cook Book” as Want to Read:
The Slow Cook Book

The Slow Cook Book

Whether you use an electric crockpot or a more traditional oven or stovetop, slow cooking is a wonderful way to prepare wholesome, home-cooked food with the greatest of ease. Meat will be gloriously tender, flavors will combine beautifully - and all with minimal attention from the cook. This book celebrates slow cooking in all its forms. Its 200 recipes range from typical ...more
Published August 15th 2011 by DK

To ask other readers questions about The Slow Cook Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Slow Cook Book

Freda Mans-Labianca
Sep 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love using my slow cooker and it gets a workout at least a couple times a month in the summer, in the winter it's much more often. So I am always on the hunt for new and interesting recipes to try out.
I tried the Moroccan Chicken Baked with Spices, with a couscous side dish.
Man, was it ever good! The chicken fell apart from the bone, so you had to be careful, but with the tomatoes, spices and apricots, it was a nice sweeter flavor. Now don't think it was so sweet, it had 6 onions in it, along
Martha
Nov 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
This cook book is a winner! Comfort food with a sophisticated edge. Instructions include the slow cooker method and the stove top method for each recipe. There's a nice introduction that demonstrates preparation techniques, and a section called "The Slow Cooking Pantry" that lists ingredients, by category, used in the recipes, from flavorings to canned and jarred ingredients to sauces and stocks, beans and spices. Recipies I tried were flavorful and not difficult to make.
Andrew
Oct 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
An excellent cook book for a slow cooker filled with hints and tips and makes sense of the difference between slow cooking and normal methods full of varied and tasty recipes :) the ones i have tired have been very successful ..A great addition to books i have and has the bonus of the meals described for slow cooking or conventional methods
Marie
Mar 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Slow Cook Book features recipes for both slow cookers and more traditional slow cooking methods. There are recipes for soups, stews, casseroles, curries, chilis, pot roasts, and even a few desserts.

This is a really good cookbook. I don't use my slow cooker as much as I should, but this book has encouraged me to use it more often. I love that there are so many delicious sounding recipes to try. I made a number of them so far and each of them has turned out pretty good.

The book starts off wi
Shannon
May 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent slow cooker book. This is a major step up from the usual 5 ingredient collections. No processed or packaged food is required to make these meals, and the flavours are complex, balanced and sophisticated. Winners so far for me are the chicken mole and chickpea tomato tagine. The intro also features fantastic photos of how to prepare ingredients and slow cooking theory. Looking forward to trying more of these suppers!
Carly Thompson
Feb 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cook-book
A really good slow cooker recipe book. I made 2 recipes from this book and they both were very good. DK books always feature lots of high quality photos and the instructions for the recipes were easy to understand. There were also instructions given to make the recipe in a traditional way not using the slow cooker. Some of the ethnic recipes featured ingredients that might be difficult to acquire in non urban areas. I would recommend this book for adventures chefs.
Michelle
Dec 08, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: cooking
This book was interesting, but not very practical for a rural Midwest home cook. There were tons of ingredients I'd have to special-order in, and a LOT of things my kids are not going to eat. I bet some of these recipes would indeed taste good, but the long unusual ingredient lists rule out my trying many of them.
Monique
Jan 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Wonderful cookbook for the cook in a urban area with the opportunity to purchase rare foods and spices. You have to be willing to try new foods and risk expanding the the palliate of your families taste buds. I did find several recipes worth trying and learned alot about the technique of slow cooking.
Katherine
Mar 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Fanciest slow cooker cookbook I've ever seen - but everything looks straightforward and simple enough to make! I would totally buy this book. I want to make everything in here.
(Only criticism is that there could be more pictures in here.)
Christine
Apr 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cooking
This is a nice beginner cookbook. But it doesn't have anything new or ground breaking. It would be a good gift for a young adult.
Christie
Nov 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011, non-fiction
I'm making my second dish from the book today. Last week's was the pork roast with butternut squash and it was fantastic! Today is chicken fricassee and it smells great!
Autumn
Nov 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
British and pretty fancy for a crock pot book. Nice photos.
Caroline Russell