Start by marking “The Evening News” as Want to Read:
The Evening News

The Evening News

This passionate, terrifying drama takes us behind the scenes of a great television network faced with mortal dangers and moral challenges as it collides with a smaller but equally potent force--the most feared terrorist group in the Americas. Few writers possess Hailey's ability to combine careful, accurate research with a profound sense of human drama. (Doubleday)
Published July 10th 2001 by Doubleday (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Evening News, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Evening News

Start your review of The Evening News
Aruna Kumar Gadepalli
May 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
The evening news dealing with the media, story line makes one enjoy thoroughly.
Girish
Nov 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Hailey's The Evening News is cold, detailed and leaves a taste of "business as usual" callousness. It's an achievement alright, but one that is tough to digest.

Hailey covers several aspects from news gathering, news hour, corporate-network ownership (how relevant!), psychology of terrorism, hostage rescue which leaves the readers believing they are experts in this. The characters of Harry Patridge, Crawford Sloane and the rest do their respective jobs with the Newsroom portrayed as a
Ajit Sridharan
Jun 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Arthur Hailey is one of my favourite authors, and what I have appreciated in all of his books is the amount of research and the insights the reader gets on that particular industry. I found that bit lacking in this book. This story is more an abduction and rescue plot set in the backdrop of the media industry. Not one of Hailey's best, but worth a read for sure. Even Hailey at 50% is better than most authors going around!!!
Erik
Feb 26, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I've read all other Arthur Hailey Novels before this one, and this is by far the worst one. The only reason I finished it was because I had read the others. I did not care about any of the characters. The action sequences and who solved the problems seemed ridiculous. It just did not work for me on any level.
Mary Ann
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a thought provoking story published in 1990, but; the subject could just as easily been set in current times. Makes one realize the more things change, the more they are the same. An interesting read.
Saad Din
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
though a piece of typical pulp fiction, it carries some very interesting points regarding corporatization of media, tussle between news anchor - producer and viability of democracy in third world country.
Emmy
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
We are the world best leading online newspaper portal. You all are the most welcome in our newspaper.If you want to get regular newslatter from our newspaper, please go home page business news and click the below subscribe button.

World News :
View FOX world news today for international news and videos from Europe, Asia, Africa, the Middle East and the Americas. Visit world news bbc for up-to-the-minute news, breaking news, video, audio and feature stories.

Politics News :
Mike
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was tough to put a rating on as it had a very engaging storyline, but had a ton of holes in what is supposed to be a "true to life" type of plot surrounding the kidnapping of a network nightime anchor's family. The portrayal of the news industry (in 2000 or so) was I'm sure pretty accurate - as with many things, real people in an unreal business. The juxtaposition of the busy corporate newsroom and the politics at play above them (which is now the norm but at the time was the new exception) ...more
Joan
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Daniel
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was first introduced to Arthur Hailey 3 years ago when I was given the book, Hotel, by some friends as a joke. The old, tattered book found sitting on a shelf in a book exchange was a gift amongst several new and well known books. So I had little expectation when I started to read it on a whim, and I was very pleasantly surprised.

I have since borrowed Cold Medicine from a library. Then this book was found in a rural charity bookstore. A pleasant find.

There is something about Hailey that draw
Peter Walt
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm a news junkie. There, I said it. And I'm fascinated not only by the news itself, but by how the news is produced. Before 'The Newsroom', us mere mortals would have no way of knowing what it looked like from the inside.

Unless, off course, we read Arthur Hailey's The Evening News. Hailey is up to his much beloved standard trick: cracking open the inner workings of an industry like it was an omelette. And with a fair amount of slightly old-school romances that sometimes gets in the way rather
Chaitalee Ghosalkar
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
It is quite obvious that Hailey seems to have written this book in some kind of stupor. Only this reason can explain the mediocrity of the book. Most of it is just mindless ramble, with little content focused on the workings of the news network. The only scenes that manage to capture your attention are gruesome ones involving torture of the kidnapped people.
Jun 10, 2019 rated it liked it
It was action-packed, but it also felt a bit like conservative propaganda to incite fear. The balance tips from propaganda to conspiracy of evil corporations and how biases seep into what is reported.
Prajakta
Nice. Once started feel like finishing quickly
Siri
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Not the type of book I would typically choose but WOW was this good. Could not put it down! Kept my interest the entire way.
Arzoo
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Arthur Hailey has the power to engage his audience with his narration. An amazing read.
Romy P. Arcilla
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Still the best

I enjoyed reading Mr. Hailey's novel. Always exciting and full of unpredictable events that I can't put down the book since I want to know the outcome at the end.
Katia
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
About the way a news program is made, also about terrorist groups, the first mobiles, the 90s
A bit too violent, but an interesting book
Shailendra Paradkar
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
It is very speedy narration. You literally have to run to keep in pace with the story. Very interesting.
Solitarius Lupus
Dec 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Highly entertaining, but not quite as good as Hailey's other novels. Of course, it's hard to top AIRPORT and HOTEL.
Ramana
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read

Good book to read.one of the get good book I read in the recent times. I am re reading it after many years
Nkwright
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An old book but fun to read. Many things seem to be true still today in light of the controversies about fake news. Makes you think about how much the news media can color our opinions on world events. I did find the ending a bit unbelievable.
Max Grachev
Jul 03, 2016 rated it liked it
This is the first book I've read completely in English. It was not nearly as difficult to read as, for instance, 1984, the incredible book I wish to finish soon also.

My greatest intention to read the Evening News was obviously the passion about the industry, especially TV sphere, notorious for its crazy hunger for news. I expected a mind blowing story. As a matter of fact, I got it, though this is definitely kinda Hollywood plot with its familiar suspenseful storyline, where too many
Harshita
Apr 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Oh Boy!
That’s exactly how I felt when I finished this book. Arthur Hailey never fails to amaze me. It’ almost as if he himself had worked as a reporter before writing this novel.

So this book is about a television news network - the good, the bad and the ugly. It had been published in 1990 but I don’t think much has changed till date. There’s still a race to be the first to report any event and a detachment while reporting any tragedy. News reporters are still vying to be on camera a
Scycer
Aug 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Even in my previous reviews of other works by Arthur Hailey I have mentioned how beautiful his writing is. But with this work I must add that depth of this story is superb. Tie a national prime time news segment- its host - crashing of a plane (brilliantly covered by another correspondent- show the friction between the news host and correspondent - a terrorist group - corporate and media ties- human lives and their loves plus international incidents and you have a complex work of art.

Paula Dembeck
May 10, 2013 rated it liked it
This books links the Medelin drug cartel with the violent mercenaries of the “shining path”, a Maoist terrorist group that kidnaps the family of a TV anchorman. The TV anchor’s wife Jessica, son Nicky and father-in-law Angus are smuggled in coffins to Peru, then marched to a steaming remote jungle village. Back in the US, Harry Partridge Jessica’s former lover, spearheads an investigation that the network’s parent company Globanic Industries tries to hamper.

I agree the plot was very
Irene
Oct 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one I really liked. And that's what I like about AH. The detail,the depth he puts into the stories. It feels like he did actually work in the news business. The story line is well thought out and the characters divers and some likable, some not but all have depth.
That the investigative journalists are better and faster than the FBI in working out leads and solving the kidnapping of Sloane's family members is plausible and with the money involved even possible. A good read to the very
Maynard
Mar 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: terrorism
Arthur Hailey could not have known when he authored "The Evening News" first published in 1990, how prescient his words would become. "The Evening News" focuses on a terrorist attack in the form of a kidnapping that begins in Larchmont, NY, moves to Hackensack NJ, and ends up with a mother, son and father-in-law imprisoned in the jungles of Peru, being held for ransom. Hailey's work is not only a masterpiece of fine writing, but a detailed insight into the workings of a large new conglomerate ow ...more
Kanika
May 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
I liked this book though it got a wee bit gruesome in the end. The story is fantastic but there is a part in the book where they cut off 2 fingers of a boy and then send it to his father..... that was sort of sick.... and i didn't sleep for 2 days because of that!!
I was a bit younger then and now i can read anything however gruesome it is... also i didn't like one part when they kill the protagonist of the book even when there was no need...
Abhilash Nair
Jun 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
The pace and the intensity of this novel is breath-taking. arthur hailey's attention to detail is really astonishing. A type thriller book which gives you several thrills and shrills. I am not really a fan of the ending, but that doesn't make me any less a fan of the late great arthur hailey. His concept of using one place..or workplace as the baseline upon which his books are fragmented, is ingenius. And his genius is really coming to the fore with this book.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Mama, I Love You
  • The Ugly Duchess
  • First Among Equals
  • The Inheritors
  • Florida Heat (Florida Heat Murder Mystery Series)
  • The Land God Gave to Cain
  • Alistair MacLean's Night Watch
  • Icon
  • Touch The Dragon: A Thai Journal
Arthur Hailey was a British/Canadian novelist. After working at a number of jobs and writing part-time, he became a writer full-time during 1956, encouraged by the success of the CBC television drama, Flight into Danger (in print as Runway Zero Eight ). Following the success of Hotel in 1965, he moved to California; followed by a permanent move to the Bahamas in 1969.

Each of his novels has a differen
“So let me tell you, Nicky, there’s nothing wrong with being scared to death. It can happen to the best. What counts is hanging on, somehow staying in control and doing what you know you should.” 1 likes
“boyish” 0 likes