Start by marking “The Evening News” as Want to Read:
The Evening News

The Evening News

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  3,032 Ratings  ·  68 Reviews
This passionate, terrifying drama takes us behind the scenes of a great television network faced with mortal dangers and moral challenges as it collides with a smaller but equally potent force--the most feared terrorist group in the Americas. Few writers possess Hailey's ability to combine careful, accurate research with a profound sense of human drama. (Doubleday)
Published July 10th 2001 by Doubleday (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Evening News, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Evening News

Aruna Kumar Gadepalli
May 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
The evening news dealing with the media, story line makes one enjoy thoroughly.
Oct 19, 2017 added it
Shelves: arthur-hailey
If I didn't like a Hailey book,it is this one.The creativity which made his earlier books such phenomenal bestsellers seems to be missing here.The story of a television news crew and a kidnapping never really grabbed my attention.I found myself skimming through entire paragraphs and even pages. It was a relief when it finally ended.
Nov 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Hailey's The Evening News is cold, detailed and leaves a taste of "business as usual" callousness. It's an achievement alright, but one that is tough to digest.

Hailey covers several aspects from news gathering, news hour, corporate-network ownership (how relevant!), psychology of terrorism, hostage rescue which leaves the readers believing they are experts in this. The characters of Harry Patridge, Crawford Sloane and the rest do their respective jobs with the Newsroom portrayed as an all consum
Александр Теленьга
Хейли для меня начался, как и для многих, с "Аэропорта", затем "Колёса", и "Окончательный диагноз". И каждое из перечисленных произведений обладало какой-то своей особой чертой. А вот в "Вечерних новостях" я этого не нашёл. И вроде завязка сюжета динамичная, и почерк автора в тексте чувствуется, но за душу не берёт. Периодически зевал на фразах "американские журналисты самые честные и принципиальные", "американская демократия самая демократичная". Часть персонажей, кажется, были введены в роман ...more
Ajit Sridharan
Jun 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Arthur Hailey is one of my favourite authors, and what I have appreciated in all of his books is the amount of research and the insights the reader gets on that particular industry. I found that bit lacking in this book. This story is more an abduction and rescue plot set in the backdrop of the media industry. Not one of Hailey's best, but worth a read for sure. Even Hailey at 50% is better than most authors going around!!!
Feb 26, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I've read all other Arthur Hailey Novels before this one, and this is by far the worst one. The only reason I finished it was because I had read the others. I did not care about any of the characters. The action sequences and who solved the problems seemed ridiculous. It just did not work for me on any level.
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was tough to put a rating on as it had a very engaging storyline, but had a ton of holes in what is supposed to be a "true to life" type of plot surrounding the kidnapping of a network nightime anchor's family. The portrayal of the news industry (in 2000 or so) was I'm sure pretty accurate - as with many things, real people in an unreal business. The juxtaposition of the busy corporate newsroom and the politics at play above them (which is now the norm but at the time was the new exception) ...more
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Saad Din
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
though a piece of typical pulp fiction, it carries some very interesting points regarding corporatization of media, tussle between news anchor - producer and viability of democracy in third world country.
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Arthur Hailey has the power to engage his audience with his narration. An amazing read.
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Not the type of book I would typically choose but WOW was this good. Could not put it down! Kept my interest the entire way.
Solitarius Lupus
Dec 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Highly entertaining, but not quite as good as Hailey's other novels. Of course, it's hard to top AIRPORT and HOTEL.
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An old book but fun to read. Many things seem to be true still today in light of the controversies about fake news. Makes you think about how much the news media can color our opinions on world events. I did find the ending a bit unbelievable.
Max Grachev
Jul 03, 2016 rated it liked it
This is the first book I've read completely in English. It was not nearly as difficult to read as, for instance, 1984, the incredible book I wish to finish soon also.

My greatest intention to read the Evening News was obviously the passion about the industry, especially TV sphere, notorious for its crazy hunger for news. I expected a mind blowing story. As a matter of fact, I got it, though this is definitely kinda Hollywood plot with its familiar suspenseful storyline, where too many coincidence
Apr 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Oh Boy!
That’s exactly how I felt when I finished this book. Arthur Hailey never fails to amaze me. It’ almost as if he himself had worked as a reporter before writing this novel.

So this book is about a television news network - the good, the bad and the ugly. It had been published in 1990 but I don’t think much has changed till date. There’s still a race to be the first to report any event and a detachment while reporting any tragedy. News reporters are still vying to be on camera and be the fa
Aug 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Even in my previous reviews of other works by Arthur Hailey I have mentioned how beautiful his writing is. But with this work I must add that depth of this story is superb. Tie a national prime time news segment- its host - crashing of a plane (brilliantly covered by another correspondent- show the friction between the news host and correspondent - a terrorist group - corporate and media ties- human lives and their loves plus international incidents and you have a complex work of art.

Reading th
Paula Dembeck
May 10, 2013 rated it liked it
This books links the Medelin drug cartel with the violent mercenaries of the “shining path”, a Maoist terrorist group that kidnaps the family of a TV anchorman. The TV anchor’s wife Jessica, son Nicky and father-in-law Angus are smuggled in coffins to Peru, then marched to a steaming remote jungle village. Back in the US, Harry Partridge Jessica’s former lover, spearheads an investigation that the network’s parent company Globanic Industries tries to hamper.

I agree the plot was very predictable,
Oct 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one I really liked. And that's what I like about AH. The detail,the depth he puts into the stories. It feels like he did actually work in the news business. The story line is well thought out and the characters divers and some likable, some not but all have depth.
That the investigative journalists are better and faster than the FBI in working out leads and solving the kidnapping of Sloane's family members is plausible and with the money involved even possible. A good read to the very end.
Mar 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: terrorism
Arthur Hailey could not have known when he authored "The Evening News" first published in 1990, how prescient his words would become. "The Evening News" focuses on a terrorist attack in the form of a kidnapping that begins in Larchmont, NY, moves to Hackensack NJ, and ends up with a mother, son and father-in-law imprisoned in the jungles of Peru, being held for ransom. Hailey's work is not only a masterpiece of fine writing, but a detailed insight into the workings of a large new conglomerate ow ...more
Nov 04, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2008
This is one of the better ones from Hailey, with plenty of background story, lots of threads being pulled together and a believable level of big corporation workings. [return][return]Set around the workings of a TV newsroom, this has the workings from the top to the bottom of how to get an evening News programme to air (long before 24 hour TV was invented), and what people would do to get - or be - the story
May 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
I liked this book though it got a wee bit gruesome in the end. The story is fantastic but there is a part in the book where they cut off 2 fingers of a boy and then send it to his father..... that was sort of sick.... and i didn't sleep for 2 days because of that!!
I was a bit younger then and now i can read anything however gruesome it is... also i didn't like one part when they kill the protagonist of the book even when there was no need...
J. Ewbank
Apr 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Anything Arthur Hailey has written I have enjoyed. He takes the time to make sure of the topic he is presenting and he presents information as well as an outstanding novel. This type of work is almost unique in my experience and I am grateful to him for writing in this manner. The research is superb and he weaves it into the plot so well you are unaware of the the effort which lies behind it.

A good read.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the 'Isms'"
Abhilash Nair
Jun 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
The pace and the intensity of this novel is breath-taking. arthur hailey's attention to detail is really astonishing. A type thriller book which gives you several thrills and shrills. I am not really a fan of the ending, but that doesn't make me any less a fan of the late great arthur hailey. His concept of using one place..or workplace as the baseline upon which his books are fragmented, is ingenius. And his genius is really coming to the fore with this book.
Dan Leiske
Apr 03, 2012 rated it liked it
This book ebbed and flowed for me. Some parts you couldn't put it down and in others it was tough to stay awake. All in all it was a decent read. I believe that I learned a little about the News Business. I think Hailey does that with a lot of subjects. He gives you some insight into the business itself. I personally like that.
Feb 23, 2011 rated it liked it
Standard espionage/adventure book, with an added twist of corporate owned network news. Behind-the-scenes intrigue of network news, including principal journalists, producers, and sources of information were interesting.
Iva Endrychová
Mar 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Páni, tohle číst poté, co si člověk prošel redakcí jedné nejmenované soukromé televize, byla síla. Když si člověk uvědomí, kdy to bylo psané, tak mnoho věcí už bohužel neplatí. Ale ten souboj ekonomické zájmy investora vs. objektivní a kvalitní zpravodajství... Dost dobrý.
Maria Hench
Jan 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Most of this is fast-paced, just like old-school newsrooms. I couldn't put this book down, even though the outcome was predictable and the motive for the kidnappings seemed weak. Interesting to look back at journalism and terrorism in the late 80s.
Feb 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Книга-детектив, яка познайомить з роботою ТВ ЗМІ, організацією викрадення людей, бойовиками, наркокартелями, країною Перу. Другий роман Хейлі прочитав - обоє сподобались. Хоча розв'язка не така оптимістична, як могло бути.
I read the translation edition by Binarupa Aksara (4 books) | cannot find the ISBN or detail from the publisher

more about this book, just check my complete review at here :
( http://my-mystery-readings.blogspot.c... )
Dianne Estes
Jan 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed it. An older book but a good read. Enjoyed the suspense and the development of the relationships without any overt sex or foul language. To bad so many authors today are not good enough writers to tell a good story without sex and bad language.
  • Bahama Crisis
  • Tramp in Armor
  • The Ugly Duchess
  • First Among Equals
  • The Pit and the Pendulum and Other Stories
Arthur Hailey was a British/Canadian novelist. After working at a number of jobs and writing part-time, he became a writer full-time during 1956, encouraged by the success of the CBC television drama, Flight into Danger (in print as Runway Zero Eight ). Following the success of Hotel in 1965, he moved to California; followed by a permanent move to the Bahamas in 1969.

Each of his novels has a diff
More about Arthur Hailey...

Fiction Deals

• Vanessa and Her Sister
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The King's Mistress
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Sun (The Northern Lights Series, No 3)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Cement Garden (Ian McEwan Series Book 2)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Book of Love: Poems of Ecstasy and Longing
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Under the Wide and Starry Sky
  • Illuminations: A Novel of Hildegard von Bingen
    $14.95 $1.99
  • The Cove
    $7.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Bagombo Snuff Box
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • If I Was Your Girl
    $9.99 $2.99
“So let me tell you, Nicky, there’s nothing wrong with being scared to death. It can happen to the best. What counts is hanging on, somehow staying in control and doing what you know you should.” 0 likes