Start by marking “The Power of Story: Rewrite Your Destiny in Business and in Life” as Want to Read:
The Power of Story: Rewrite Your Destiny in Business and in Life

The Power of Story: Rewrite Your Destiny in Business and in Life

In his groundbreaking new book, Dr. Jim Loehr, New York Times bestselling coauthor of The Power of Full Engagement, examines the way we tell stories about ourselves to ourselves -- and, most important, the way we can change those stories to transform our business and personal lives.

"Your story is your life," says Loehr. As human beings, we continually tell ourselves

Published September 18th 2007 by Free Press (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Power of Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Power of Story

Start your review of The Power of Story: Rewrite Your Destiny in Business and in Life
Merrick
Aug 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jim Loehr describes how stories create meaning for our lives and provide context for our experiences. Most notably, the stories we tell to and about ourselves create our destiny.

Loehr asserts that individuals must create new stories and those stories can only become reality with full engagement, including one’s physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual energy. To become fully realized, new stories must become unconscious habits and rituals grounded in concrete definable outcomes.

I was
Jen
Jun 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I was initially disappointed that this book focused so much on business or work performance. However, in the later part of the book, I saw how what he was proposing, his fundamental tenet, that we focus on energy (that is, health) rather than time, would be revolutionary if it were implemented on a wide scale. The work place would change drastically. The structure, the simplistically punative systems, the oversight, all of these things would have to change to accommodate the well-being of the ...more
Kate
Aug 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is funny because the title, in big letters on both the cover and the title page is: The Power of STORY: Rewrite your destiny in Business and in Life. Maybe the title got changed between publications.

I truly loved this book, and I can feel myself already changing in small ways to achieve what I want out of my life.
Danny Hui
My review:
I recently took a landmark course, and it showed these concepts in a practical sense. We live our lives as a story. And often times we misinterpret what happens to us, viewing what happens as the single source of truth. Usually, we color that story as negative. Why did I have to fail that test? That instructor had it out for me. Etc... This book goes over how we view these stories and gives some direction on how to change it up.

What I remember:
The narrative we give to our stories is
Kathy Keating
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership, business
I found this book to be a great recipe for reconnecting with ourselves along multiple dimensions (work, family, health). It helps us reconnect with and build habits to optimize our energy along these dimensions. The health advice is outdated per current science, but the intent of that section is still spot-on.

This book is better read, not listened to/audiobook. There are many exercises that would be difficult to grasp in audio format, and there is no companion
PDF for the audiobook
Steve Garvin
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: storytelling
A wise, well-written look at how the story we imagine for ourselves and the story we create for ourselves are often at odds with one another. Loehr, doesn't stop at revealing that gap, though. He provides the structure by which his organization helps their clients get back on track with the story they want to be telling, not just settle for the story that isn't working.
Stephanie
The best practical advice I got from this book was the idea that the stuff which consumes you becomes part of your story (negative thinking begone); and as far as figuring out your purpose, thinking in terms of what you would want engraved on your epitaph. Three stars because the book just wasn't for me, but I think anyone who is far more business minded would enjoy this book.
Joshua Key
This book will convince you to take a hard, honest look at yourself and feel good about it.

I like how he addresses the importance of dealing with your demons, while emphasizing forward movement at the same time. Both are important.
Jon
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
some tough discussions here about work life balance.

key take aways spend the the energy you have on what you are doing, multitasking doesn't help.

exercise helps better sleep
Michael Lodl
Good nuggets, but not a page turner.
Helen Biersack
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one caught me off guard because it is set up so that you do work WHILE you read it. I need to re-read it and do the work this time. I think everyone must read this book!
Teri Temme
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great motivation to re-write your story ...more
Manu
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was ok
A very in-depth research into the concept of a "story" by Loehr. This book is totally focused on an individual's life story rather than on the art of storytelling (like in other books on story). I felt that this book is more about self evaluation to understand one's purpose in life, how to be totally true about it and what should be done in towards realization of that true purpose. The idea is to do soul searching on 3 parameters: purpose of life, truth and what actions are needed to realize ...more
Toby
Mar 19, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: business
This is a good book with a lot of down to earth ideas. In some ways, it seems to be the practical side of a lot of the ideas that move through therapy and self-help circles. Therapy minus the touchy-feely stuff that makes it harder for a lot of people to swallow. In essence, stop telling yourself lies, tell yourself the truth and take action! Also, I like the practical way that Loehr helps to make that happen. A lot of books have a lot of ideas, but no good ways to implement them in your life. ...more
Deepak Chaudhary
Aug 08, 2011 rated it liked it
I liked this book but not as much as his other one "The power of full engagement" which was just amazing. but the book was great still it was a bit boring for a bit atleast that is what I thought but it was quite informative and provided an awesome way to look at your own life and evaluate whether at the end of your life you would consider yourself a success " In your own eyes .... according to what your values are". the book explains how in the eyes of others and even your eyes you could be a ...more
Sandi
Sep 15, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just skimmed this book in several hours and downloaded the 8 Steps of Storyboarding the Transformation Process.

The basic premise is that we need to be honest with ourselves about what our story really is before we can make meaningful changes in our lives. You must create your ultimate mission, or the purpose; what moves you to action.

Your inner voice matters - need to give yourself positive self-talk.

We should focus more on energy rather than time. Eat healthy and exercise to maximize your
Teresa
Apr 09, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I didn't "devour" this book - I found the material repetitive & the writing style not very interesting. Maybe I didn't need 200+ pages to drive home the point that what you tell yourself & others about YOU is very much tied to our success and failure. I was glad for the reminder that how we see ourselves - our "story" - is self-fulfilling but I didn't need chapters of explanations or examples to assist me in identifying ways I might be hard-coding my own story. The CDs were better - more ...more
Steve Bivans
Jul 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Why does our world seem so negative? Why do we struggle so hard to achieve our dreams only to see them disappear? Jim Loehr's book goes right to the heart of the matter, or the mind of the matter would probably be more accurate. According to Loehr it is our internal stories that hold us back. Our stories are flawed, filled with negative, false images of ourselves and those around us. In order to reach our true destiny in life, we must first articulate those negative stories and then rewrite ...more
Glenn Hunter
Jim Loehr effectively reiterated his premise that energy, not time, is the most valuable commodity in self-improvement. He emphasized the premise that personal success is driven by owning and improving your individual story. Furthermore, he provided tools to reinforce the exercises that he described as leading to personal fulfillment. His ideas seemed valid, and I have implemented more attention to rituals. Overall, the book contributed sound advice and a path to personal development. His target ...more
Rosa Frei
Your story is your destiny!

Is the story you're telling (publicly and inwardly to yourself) bringing you towards your goals? Do you live the life that is aligned with your purpose and goals? If not, this book is a great help to get you where you want to be. The author teaches a straightforward approach how you can define your purpose in life (Ultimate Mission), identify you're Old Story, write a New Story, and write a Training Mission (hope-filled actions) for those areas that needs adjustment to
Zsolt
Apr 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: action-ready
I read this book number of times and I have approached several people to do the writing exercise with. For years, everyone who picked up the book in my circles told me it is great, and how much they are interested to read it. To date nobody ever followed through with the writing exercises that I know of. Presently I am working on the exercises alone and still looking for an equally or more motivated person than I to do the work, laid out by Dr. Loehr.
Nick
May 17, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The Power of Story is really a mis-titled self-help book about how positive thinking can change your life for the better. Loehr tells the reader to make up a new story about herself in order to change the future. If you've been unable to get ahead, for example, it's probably because you tell yourself, 'I can't get ahead'. So change your story to -- wait for it -- 'I can get ahead'. It seems like a forced use of the concept of story, though all the self help is no doubt good stuff.
Taylor Cline
I listen to this on tape and the author had a very annoying way of telling a story. Yes irony from a book about story. But the book is about presenting yourself in a better light, to you and others around you. Especially using positive motivation to move yourself toward your goals. I just didn't enjoy the presentation of the book.
Janet
Aug 08, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this book has a good message and positive overtone about the power of the mind and the things you tell yourself and others about YOU. I'm interested in it, even though I've only just begun. Currently reading a few self-help type books and this one ranks up there for me. Hoping it keeps my interest the further I get into it.
Lily
Aug 06, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
mostly a lot of thought and not a lot of action. I don't need any help doing that. not really a business book, more like a self-help / reflection book. for people who don't know what their lives are about. such as twenty year olds.
Erin Wicomb
Mar 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little fluffy for me but great concept of how we are not what we think we are we are more than that and we can change who we are by simply changing our stories and beliefs we tell ourselves daily, emphasis on habits in this book were good too.

Stefanie
I "read" this as an audio book. It almost tried to cover *too* much, but it was good nonetheless if you like self-motivation sort of books that will offer you a new perspective on how you manage your thinking and your life.
Marcel
Mar 16, 2016 rated it liked it
I'm not sure it was necessary to read this book after reading the Power of Full Engagement. It ended up being something of a refresher course. What more can I say? Come to think of it, that's probably what Mr. Loehr was thinking to himself as he was writing it, too.
Chris Bridges
Aug 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book, one I'll be reviewing frequently
LizG
May 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was refreshing to read that everyone's path is different and that it isn't about doing it the "right way" but living life the way that's right for you.
The Pragmatist 1 1 Mar 09, 2014 07:52AM

• INFLUENCER: The 9 Step Guide To Becoming Highly Influential In Any Industry
  • Your Faith is Your Fortune
  • It's the Manager: Gallup finds the quality of managers and team leaders is the single biggest factor in your organization's long-term success.
  • Sleep Smarter: 21 Essential Strategies to Sleep Your Way to A Better Body, Better Health, and Bigger Success
  • Help Them Grow or Watch Them Go: Career Conversations Employees Want
  • Leading With Emotional Courage: How to Have Hard Conversations, Create Accountability, And Inspire Action On Your Most Important Work
  • The Automatic Customer: Creating a Subscription Business in Any Industry
  • Escape from Freedom
  • Bold: How to Go Big, Create Wealth and Impact the World
  • Icons and Idiots: Straight Talk on Leadership
  • Great Work: How to Make a Difference People Love
  • The Thin Book of Appreciative Inquiry (Thin Book Series)
  • Whoever Tells the Best Story Wins: How to Use Your Own Stories to Communicate with Power and Impact
Dr. Jim Loehr is a world-renowned performance psychologist and author of 16 books including his most recent, The Only Way to Win. He also co-authored the national bestseller The Power of Full Engagement.

Dr. Loehr’s ground-breaking, science-based energy management training system has achieved world-wide recognition and has been chronicled in leading national publications, including the Harvard
“And what’s the point of doing something just to do it?” 0 likes