Start by marking “North Slope” as Want to Read:
North Slope

North Slope

3.53  ·  Rating details ·  215 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
The current edition of NORTH SLOPE (May 1st. 2012) has been re-edited because of editing problems that were highlighted on Amazon's pages. The paperback was also re-edited. It could be said that the version now available is the second edition, but nothing has changed with respect to the story. The reviews (26 so far on May 3rd) have been extremely helpful and hopefully the ...more
Published (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about North Slope, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about North Slope

Jay Fromkin
Michael Parker has written a compelling book about oil exploration on the North Slope of Alaska. Unfortunately, he also grafted into this setting a murder mystery. More unfortunate is his lack of an attentive editor.

I've been on oil rigs in Wyoming during the winter. It's cold and dangerous. Multiply that cold and danger exponentially, and it must surely be as Parker has described in North Slope. The scenes at the drilling camp, on the rig, traversing the Arctic range by bulldozer and dogsled ar
Michael Parker
Jul 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Michael by: http://www.goodreads.com/author/confi...
Masterful description of a harsh environment and tough characters, November 18, 2010
By
R. Nicholson-morton "Nik Morton" (Alicante, Spain) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This review is from: North Slope (Paperback)
Apparently, the author wrote this book while working in Saudi Arabia. Set in the claustrophobic oil drilling station in the barren ice desert of Alaska, it's a far cry from the hot sands of Saudi! In fact, even though almost 30 years after its original hardback publication, this book
Mar 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: a-to-z-challenge
North Slope is not a book I would have been likely to pick up but as it was briefly free on Amazon I felt there was nothing to lose and I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it. The writer brought the inhospitable environment alive and provided a gripping story to keep the pages turning (or finger pumping the page down button on my kindle, to be more accurate). Another reviewer has commented on the need for a good proof reader/editor to sort out some problems with the text and I must ...more
Angela C Wagner
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good story

This story line was very intriguing right up to the end. Although it was about drilling for oil in Alaska it held enough facts on the topic to keep me engaged without over doing it.
Holly
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good book

Good read kept me guessing never knew where it was going to go next more twists and turns in every page
Anne
Mar 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle-book
Seriously? You cant call that a mystery! You can't even call it a thriller. This book was so boring that it was sadly predictable in its slow build up to nothing. I cant even call the ending a crescendo. It was just there, like the sex scene, like the storm descriptions, and like the hundred thousand typos, grammar errors and editing mistakes.

I made myself finish this book, hoping for a little thrill, but never got one. Of books I didn't like but still finished, this ranks right at the top.
Diane
May 07, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know what moved me to want to read this book (could be the $2.99 price on Amazon for the iPad). I know nothing about oil rigging, but it was an interesting mystery/murder book. At times when the author is describing the cold and the storms in Alaska, you wanted to run and grab a blanket!!
Bob Zwick
May 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. It was exciting, suspensfull and the setting in Alaska peeked my enjoyment. Iread the Kindle enook version. It had gramatical errors and British vocabulary that was obvious but not a hindrence.

I would recommend this for anyone who enjoys reading about the challenges of the Alaskan wilderness and enjoys murder mystery.
Joyce
Jul 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great reading. I got involved with the second page and stayed involved until the end. Parker's story and way of presenting it made me reminiscent of Alistair MacLean, a favorite of mine. Lots of good action and written in a way that made the reader part of it.
Deliasue
Sep 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
This story was about the Alaska Oil fields, the devastation of the cold weather and how it hurts the people who work there. It is so cold they can only stay out in it for a few minutes. It causes men to do terrible things to other men when their minds play tricks on them.
Layne
Apr 03, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a well written mystery set in the oil fields of Alaska. I enjoyed the book. It was a entertaining and the pace of the plot kept me interested right until the end. It was well worth the price I paid for it, which was nothing. This was another free book on Amazon.
Holly
Apr 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read, nonstop action. Learned lots about drilling and Alaska
Karen
Feb 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice little thriller. Well written. Read when you are somewhere warm :)
Jack
Mar 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Action packed crime thriller set in the Alaskan oil industry, full of tough men in a tough environment.
Jill
Aug 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read. Bit of a murder/mystery. Boy book really!
Sandra Foster
Mar 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great to the very end

Really held my interest throughout the entire book. Exciting twists and turns. Unpredictable ending. Kept me guessing throughout the exciting ending. Loved it.
Sharon Jones
Quick read and easy but not something that I could not put down. I was left with the feeling that, ok, this was interesting but it did not entice me to want to read any more of his books.
Travis
  • ASYLUM
  • One O'Clock Jump: A Dorie Lennox Mystery
  • Listen to the Shadows
  • Danger Danger
  • Zero Sum, Entire Trilogy Bundle (Dr. Stephen Archer Cross, #1)
  • The Fourth Law
  • The Ghost of a Flea
  • The Delta Chain
  • Killing the Secret (Sheriff Lexie Wolfe, #1)
  • Simple Simon (Art Jefferson, #4)
  • Volcano Watch (Forensic Geology #3)
  • Speculation
  • Murder Over Easy
  • Wet Desert: Tracking Down a Terrorist on the Colorado River
  • Flirting With Death (Assassins Anonymous - Step One)
  • Too Close to Miss (Mara Cunningham Series, #1)
  • Coding Isis
  • Implicated
Brought up in London. Attended Sir Walter St. John's Grammar School for boys in Battersea until the family moved to Portsmouth in 1954. Continued education at Southern Grammar. Left school with no qualifications and started work as a Junior deigner at Twilfits (Corset/Brassiere manufacturer). Left after one year and joined the Merhcant Navy as a Steward. Two years later married Pat, my teenage swe ...more