Start by marking “Scarlet Book 1” as Want to Read:
Scarlet Book 1

Scarlet Book 1 (Scarlet #1)

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  1,631 Ratings  ·  185 Reviews
THE AWARD WINNING, BEST SELLING POWERHOUSE CREATIVE TEAM BEHIND DAREDEVIL, HALO, AND THE AVENGERS UNLEASH THEIR BOLDEST PROJECT YET! SCARLET!

This is the comic experience of the year! The first creator-owned series by one of the most successful teams in all of modern comics.

Scarlet is the story of a woman pushed to the edge by all that is wrong with the world...A woman who
Published January 18th 2012 by Marvel (first published July 20th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Scarlet Book 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scarlet Book 1

Jan Philipzig
Revolution Marvel Style

According to the back cover, “Scarlet is the story of a woman pushed to the edge by all that is wrong with the world… A woman who will not back down… A woman who discovers within herself the power to start a modern American revolution!!” Wait a minute, a REVOLUTION? Against ALL THAT IS WRONG with the world?? In a MARVEL comic book?!? Yeah right, a politically relevant, socio-critical comic book published by Disney-controlled Marvel: as if… But wait, it’s by Bendis and Male
Anna  (Bananas!)
I love this for so many reasons. I will count the ways.
Scarlet

1) Scarlet is a gun-toting, redheaded, vigilante. What's not to love?
2) She demolishes the fourth wall, talking directly to the reader and challenging you to act.
3) The art is amazing and so realistic. Alex Maleev appears to be working from photographs, he must be. I'm hooked on him now. Hunting down Daredevil trades and anything else his golden hand has touched.
4) The pages that show major life events in Scarlet and Gabriel's lives are
Sam Quixote
Mar 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A corrupt cop kills a teen boy over drugs the boy didn't have. The boy's girlfriend is also hit but survives. This is her story.

"Scarlet" is a very timely story of a general malaise in most peoples' outlooks on life. They look around and see corruption in institutions which were once sacred, and the apathy that allows this way of life to continue. Recently this took the form of the Occupy movements but in this book writer Brian Michael Bendis and artist Alex Maleev take things further with Scarl
Scott
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Although this was done with a certain amount of style the things portrayed were often downright harsh and distasteful, and I just couldn't identify with the main character's 'violence is the answer.'
Rory Wilding
Aug 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As one of the most prominent writers of Marvel Comics in the last sixteen years, Brian Michael Bendis started out with crime and noir comics prior to the mainstream superhero work. Although there have been a small handful of his titles which blurred the line between crime and superheroes such as Alias and Daredevil, Bendis reunites with artist Alex Maleev with a creator-owned crime comic under Marvel's Icon imprint.

Following the sudden death of her first true love and having survived a bullet in
Steve
Jan 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It seems that I’m on a wild swing right now when it comes to graphic novels, moving from utterly craptastic books like DC’s Bizarro and Dark Horse’s Red Sonja: The Black Tower to outstanding books like the recent run of Nathan Edmondson’s Black Widow series (Marvel, of course) and the exceptional American Vampire series by Scott Snyder. Scarlet, Book 1 fits firmly into the latter category, coming in at very nearly five stars.

The storyline is simple and very timely: a corrupt cop (and his support
David Schaafsma
Scarlet was timely for me (or anyone) to have read now as it, in the light of recent horrific events about cops as killers and the killing of cops, features a cop killer. . . the titular character, who in the first person makes a case for her acts being justified, since the cop(s) in question are crooked, and nasty, and many of the rest of the cops are aware of the bad cops. And no, this book did not just come out last week, but was a 2010-2011 series collecting issues 1-5. It's my understanding ...more
Mindy

I picked this up at the library because of the artwork. The artwork was easily the coolest thing about it. I was expecting an urban fantasy type story from the cover but it dealt with way more reality than I was in the mood for. The story deals with corrupt cops killing innocent people and the female mc's subsequent revenge. This was written in 2011, but could of been taken straight from today's headlines.
I'm new to graphic novels. This is the first one I have read that wasn't The Walking Dead.
Heather
Dec 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
I have to say, I really like Bendis. Bendis always catches me from page one of his graphics. Now sometimes I've followed Bendis down a path and wasn't quite sure why I continued. Sometimes he's all over the place or too dark or perhaps too abstract. And honestly a book about a cop killing teen shouldn't have kept me up reading. But it did and I consumed it so fast that I know I will anxiously await the next binding. Also it makes me want to dig up my Powers, Alias, Pulse comics and graphics out ...more
Get X Serious
It's like Bendis wanted to have some real political commentary and it almost gets there, but at the last second it takes a turn for the Hot Topic mall goth anarky. Lots of cop killing fun going on here, but it kind of feels like dirt under my nails with the pseudo-revolution talk. I guess I should reserve judgment until the next volume comes out (soonish, right?).

Series has a lot of potential, hope it doesn't fall flat.
Seth T.
Sep 17, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Scarlet by Brian Michael Bendis and Alex Maleev

First volumes are tough. Tough to gauge, tough to judge. Even with series that are well on their way and have gone some length toward establishing themselves, talking about first volumes isn't always easy. Some of my favourite books are marred by less-than-stellar, less-than-representative first volumes. Fables ' initial story had me convinced the series was very much not my thing (though it later turned out to be very much my thing). Usagi Yojimbo , for all its storied perfections, boasts a f
Alan Kingsley
Aug 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What would happen if someone decided to change things? Not complain, not protest, not write their congressman--actually stand up and hold the people in power accountable for what they do with the only punishment they seem to understand?

That's the driving force behind Scarlet, the story of a girl (named Scarlet) whose life is shattered by the arrogant, drug-fueled actions of a crooked cop. When she discovers that not only was the truth covered up but he was granted a promotion, Scarlet snaps. She
Alemanita
Apr 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Este personaje va a ser el que marque este año para mí. Muy acorde con los tiempos de mierda que nos está tocando vivir. ¡La revolución va a llegar, bitches!
Josh
Semi-spoiler review below -

SCARLET was one of the first books I picked up from Comixology (digital comics) and what an impulse buy it was! I confess I'd not heard of Brian Michael Bendis prior to reading SCARLET VOL.1 but will make an effort to read more of his stuff.

The below is a blow-by-blow review of each issue that comprises volume 1.

Issue#1:
Love the introspective narrative. The opening chapter establishes Scarlet as a dark yet light and vibrant young woman, one who knows love and falls
Mike
Jan 31, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well that was a surprising read from creators I thought I knew. Bendis' trademark back-and-forth sassy dialogue is still firmly part of the storyline, but so is a more engaging style and some pretty shocking and in-your-face confrontation of the system (though not too much to be confused with an actual manifesto or call to arms).

Mostly I think it's shocking because I see Bendis having attained a level of comfort and privilege in his "chief architect" role, frequent consultant-to-the-movies and a
Artemy
Jun 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, icon, 5stars, favorites
Re-read before the last issue of the second arc finally becomes available tomorrow! I can't believe it, after all these years!
Scarlet is one of my favorite series ever. It's absolutely the best thing Bendis has ever written, and most likely ever will write. It's just so good. Right from the very first page, the story grabs you and doesn't let go.
The book with its revolutionary themes feels even more relevant today — for me, too, living in Russia — but especially with all the recent scandals with
Rosa
Scarlet wants revenge on the cop that killed her boyfriend just to keep his secrets. Rather then just settling for personal revenge, she ends up starting a revolution with her boyfriends best friend. Very dark and gritty but at the same time there is lots of hope creeping around the edges. Scarlett is so angry and she's just running on that anger, that is what has kept her going. At the end she is preparing to step into that role that both she and the people have created for her. It will be inte ...more
Kenny
Jul 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Bendis created another iconic heroine ripped off the pages of the headlines, a symbol against a corrupt cops and a system that nurtures them. Unrelenting and incendiary.
Aaron
Apr 12, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm kind of into this! I know, what a ringing endorsement. "Kind of." But, honestly, everything I've read from Bendis over the past few years has felt so utterly phoned-in that I'm excited to read something by him that crackles with the same energy as his earlier work.

Also, there's something so visceral and relevant about this book now, moreso even than when it debuted in 2011. This isn't a superhero story, or even a typical vigilante tale. This is a story about a woman who's had enough of polic
Eh, 2 stars but maybe bumped up to 3 for Maleev's art and Bendis's attempt at tackling moral complexity and social issues?

On one hand, I don't want to be too harsh, because I'm trying to b remind myself that every piece of art/media, especially those with female characters and/or about injustice can't be everything to everyone. And yet, this just felt like too little, too late, like it might have seemed more profound had it come out around the time of Jessica Jones and Bendis/Maleev's Daredevil.
Thomas Maluck
The last time I visited Chicago, I visited One Stop Comics and noticed several issues of a comic called Scarlet. Each cover seemed to be reaching hard to look as “alternative” as possible, with its redheaded protagonist always brandishing guns and making serious faces. The covers reminded me of Synthia “Sin” Schmidt from Captain America.

Modern comics love a ginger with a gun, I guess. Sin was a hyperactive snot of a villain for Marvel, rushing around with pistols and laughing at death and destru
Wendy
Aug 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics-manga
A good cover can be all it takes to draw me in. This past month, that's happened twice for me, first with A Voice in the Dark, Volume 1, and then with Scarlet, both of which feature young female pro/antagonists who demand you turn the pages to learn what lies beyond the cover.

Scarlet surprised me because I'm usually not taken in by the violent bad girl image. Still, Alex Maleev's gritty style--hard lines contrasted with the muted colours and Scarlet's vibrant hair, lured me in.

Her very first act
J. d'Artagnan
Dec 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WHAT I LOVED: I loved how uncomfortable this book made me. The story is so incredibly relevant. With tension between police and civilians in our country at an all time high, the murder of police officers hit home recently when two Des Moines officers were ambushed and killed. Scarlet is written in such a way that you feel you should be rooting for Scarlet--she's the hero of the comic, right? In reality, rooting for Scarlet will leave you with a sick feeling in the pit of your stomach. I honestly ...more
Emmett Spain
Jul 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Revolution.

That's the theme of Bendis's latest creator-owned effort, starring the amazing art work of his long-time collaborator Alex Maleev (Daredevil, Spider-woman, Moon Knight). Scarlet is a woman pushed too far by all that's wrong with the world, and from a tragic beginning is set to inspire a modern American revolution.

The main device of the book is that Scarlet talks right to us, breaking the fourth wall throughout. In fact, there's more fourth wall breaking than actual dialogue, which is
Kayla
I recently read this along with a lot of other graphic novels and out of the stack this was one of my favorites. I was looking for an awesome female character and got more than I could have hoped for. I loved everything about Scarlet, especially the fact that she directly addresses the reader. I also liked the flaws that she had. Maybe one thing that I didn't like about this volume was how desperate it made me to get my hands on another.

I hadn't heard of this book before I spotted it in the libr
Paul
Nov 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Ferris Bueler's Day Off" meets "V For Vendetta"
but wait... that's a good thing

Scarlet is a young 20 year-old girl that attracts one of those "cops" attention.
We've all been there... the cop that wants to assert his authority by taking it out on a couple of young punks for loitering or whatever. However, this time it goes a little too far and really bad things happen.
Scarlet doesn't have any super-powers, she doesn't wear tights, she doesn't have an utility belt, she's cute but far from the sexy
Nick
Jan 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up at the local library. The art attracted my attention first, and a look at the back indicated the author's connection to Alias and Daredevil. I turned to my partner and asked if she had read it. She said it was good so I went with it.

The book is dark. Very dark. It opens with Scarlet Rue, killing a cop, and asking the reader to hear her out as to why she did what she did. It evolves from an eye-for-an-eye revenge tale into something rapidly escalating. It harkened me back to my l
Zedsdead
Sep 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Scarlet is about a highly trained badass assassin who preys on corrupt cops. No wait, it's about a victimized young woman with a message of revolution and anti-corruption. Fight the system!

In the first panel, she skillfully and remorselessly kills a man. And beats the shit out of a bike thief for good measure. Scarlet then speaks directly to the reader while recounting her story, why she is what she is and does what she does. And it turns out that (view spoiler)
***Dave Hill
Jan 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: illustrated
I'm generally a big fan of Brian Bendis' writing, but this book is something special. It's a call to arms for the Little Guy against The Establishment ... a screed against police and government corruption, as well as social complacency ... and it's both terribly prosaic and non-super-heroic even while being a the stuff of myth, all blended with a variety of flash-backs, -forwards, Fourth Wall-breaking, and generally innovative tale-telling styles.

Alex Maleev, Bendis' long-time collaborator, has
Anthony
Apr 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I actually really enjoyed this, but I can see it not being for everybody. I think some of the film influences behind it are also pretty obvious (Kill Bill, Fight Club), but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Bendis is a big consumer of good film and Tv, so it's only right that'd he'd bring it into some of his creator owned work. I must admit, how it ended as 'Book One' of what seems will be a series, was slightly off putting. I'd have liked a more rounded off ending, especially since we'll prob ...more
  • Stumptown, Vol. 1
  • Daybreak
  • Sidescrollers
  • Axe Cop, Vol. 1
  • Infinite Kung Fu
  • Scalped, Vol. 9: Knuckle Up (Scalped, #9)
  • S.H.I.E.L.D.: Architects of Forever
  • Tripping
  • Skullkickers, Vol. 1: 1000 Opas and a Dead Body
  • Jennifer Blood, Volume One: A Woman's Work is Never Done
  • MIND MGMT, Volume One: The Manager
  • Zahra's Paradise
  • Unknown Soldier, Vol. 1: Haunted House
  • DMZ, Vol. 12: The Five Nations of New York
  • The Sixth Gun, Vol. 1: Cold Dead Fingers (The Sixth Gun, #1)
  • Rachel Rising, Volume 1: The Shadow of Death
  • Richard Stark's Parker: The Hunter
  • Alabaster: Wolves

More about Brian Michael Bendis

Scarlet (2 books)
  • Scarlet, Book 2 (Scarlet, #2)