Start by marking “First Impressions: What You Don't Know About How Others See You” as Want to Read:
First Impressions: What You Don't Know About How Others See You

First Impressions: What You Don't Know About How Others See You

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  305 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
What kind of first impression do you make? A first impression is the most important impression you’ll ever make—and you get only one chance to make it. Business deals can be made or broken, first dates become second dates or not, friendships are created or fail to form; everything hinges on that all-important initial encounter. And yet most of us don’t know how we’re reall ...more
Published March 2nd 2004 by Bantam (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about First Impressions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about First Impressions

Ayat Z
Oct 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
"This book made me understand how to connect with people more easily, and also helped me to understand it when people give me a poor first impression. It compares the image that I see or the image that I send with the true image that I or my conversation partner really hopes to convey."
Tara
May 31, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Written by two phds who founded a consulting firm called First Impressions Inc. This is a consulting firm that helps socially challenged people give a good and accurate perception of themselves in social situations, such as meeting someone new at a cocktail party or a first date.

To sum it all up:

Do not talk too loudly or softly. That makes you seem egotistical or shy.

Make sure to ask the person about themselves, so you do not seem like a self- absorbed ass.

Do not share too much heavy personal in
AndreaZ
Jul 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After reading this book, I will certainly be on my best behavior all the time and never annoy anyone ever again, at least during the first time I meet you.

My first thoughts were "wow, I must be doing lots of things wrong" because I don't think I always make a great first impression. I'm too introverted. I wait, watch, and only say things when I actually have something to contribute. I think it takes six months of fairly frequent contact for someone to understand my communication style.

So, in my
 دلال
كتاب يصف لك الآخرين كيف يروك خصوصا في اللقاء الأول ويساعدك كيف تتجنب الانطباعات السيئة التي قد تتركها لدى الآخرين دون أن تشعر

مكتوب بطريقة لقاءات جمعت بين أشخاص (عملاء الشركة) وموظفي الشركة التي أسستها صاحبة الكتاب وبعد اللقاء يلفتون نظر العملاء الى تصرفاتهم السلبية أثناء اللقاء ويدربونهم على تحسين سلوكهم

رائع ولفت نظري الى تصرفات تترك انطباع عكس توقعاتي

له نسخة مترجمة
Anita Byrne
Jul 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jan 13, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Useful information about meeting people and communication. Sure, a lot of it was common sense, but the book compiled a lot of information that most people don't think about.
I also liked how they used real-life examples. Very helpful.
Lisa
Recommended by Gretchen Rubin, I spent some time on lunch breaks and on a recent road trip reading this one. I liked the structure of the book and the way they presented the information. They began the book by talking about the psychology of first impressions and then discussed the 7 fundamentals of a first impression, and ended with how to incorporate their advice and make changes to your style. I found the first 100 pages to be the most insightful and it less and less interesting as the book w ...more
Douglas Larson
Feb 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dating
I liked it. Authors Demarais and White have done extensive research into the behavioral patterns we each exhibit and how that gives an impression of who we are to others. An impression that we likely are not aware of. The authors describe how common it is for traits or behaviors we each develop and practice and that each person often considers charming, functional or at least harmless, are often seen by others as annoying, not functional and sometimes a bit extreme.

Katherine
Nov 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-of-2013
An excellent book that will certainly provide you some insights about yourself and the way others interpret your behaviors during first impressions. With down-to-earth examples that you can relate to, it is a a great way to better understand yourself and will guide you on making the changes that you want to make.
Jessi
Feb 09, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, 2014
Though an interesting book, it took me a long time to read. Basically, some very good advice on how to best present yourself so that people think of you positively. I think the bottom line is that you should concentrate on the other person. There are many specific examples which may prove to be helpful.
Veronica
Jul 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my all-time favorite books. It gives some practical & sound advice. In the beginning, it may seem like reading a psychology book but it gets more personal later on, which makes it such an invaluable read.
Jul 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology

This is a great book if you enjoy introspection and learning how to understand people better as well as how you can interact to help you form better relationships. Fun read! I recommend it.
Nouf
Oct 12, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-parts-of-it
Nice book although I didn't finish it maybe because of the number of questions or tables that I have to fell , and because it's a kind of book that you don't have to read at once... you just want to go and come back to it perhaps.
Khawla
the best thing about this book is that you can check your behaviors at the end of each part and you discovered alot of actions that you shouldn't do or that you should do. once i finish the book i will write again my review.
Basmah
Apr 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Starts out strong and intriguing then you lose interest after they've covered the important points and start being "Interactive" ...If you read it selectively you'll undoubtedly benefit alot
Danijel Brestovac
Dec 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Prvi vtis - Kako vas drugi vidijo, vi pa tega ne veste.

str. 13- dober prvi vtis je tisti, ki odseva to, kar v resnici ste. Če se trudite prikazati v najboljši luči in tako, kot si želite, da bi vas drugi videli, potem znate narediti pravilni vtis.

Str. 26- kajti, jo nekoga spoznamo, se pogosto osredotočimo na lastne besede. Na to, kako naš 'nastop' zaznavajo drugi, pa bolj kot naše besede ali občutki vpliva to, kako se ljudje počutijo, jo so v naši bližini. Vsak prvi stik, celo priložnostno kra
Justin
Jul 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psychology, favorites
This book is about more than just the psychology of first impressions, it's about how we take the first step to interact more effectively and favorably with people, and also how to better relate to people over the course of a relationship. Demarais and White also have started a consulting firm to help clients improve their interactions in various social situations. They cite various social psychological research applicable to our own lives.
In Part One, they cover the psychology of first impressi
Greg Talbot
Mar 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How did you feel about this book? If you're like me and you like self-improvement books, did you find this one particularly creative or illuminating? Pretty intense for a short book. Tight binding.

Not interested in talking about that? Okay, i'll pass the ball, what's going with your family, your church, your job evaluation? Ugh, maybe that's too banal, or too boring to really get into a deeper conversation. But then again, awareness of our situation, and commonalties are the best way to get deep
Rebecca
Mar 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: etiquette
This was a very well written, organized, and thought-out text on exploring your own behaviors, actions, and reactions in various social situations. The authors use case-studies from their line of work to analyze the dynamics between how people responded to one another in different situations, and then in each instance, they finished with questionnaires and bullet-point lists that are relevant and useful to you, so that you could potentially explore those aspects of yourself, to build an inner aw ...more
Chris
May 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I never would have picked this book up if I hadn't seen the recommendation from Gretchen Rubin. It seemed like an intriguingly odd and specific topic for an entire book, written by two PhDs, nonetheless. And it was maybe repetitive and stretched a bit, but overall it was really interesting. I suspected that my first-impression efforts could use some improvement, and I was way, way right. But now I feel that I have a better idea of concrete aspects of those encounters to keep in mind and work on.
Kristy Ann
I wish I had read this book in high school.

"I have come to the frightening conclusion that I am the decisive element. It is my personal approach that creates the climate. Is is my daily mood that makes the weather. I possess tremendous power to make life miserable or joyous. I can be a tool of torture or an instrument of inspiration, I can humiliate or humor, hurt or heal. In all situations, it is my response that decides whether a crisis is escalated or de-escalated, and a person is humanized o
Eleftheria
Sep 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Eleftheria by: Ν21
ΕΞΑΙΡΕΤΙΚΟ!!!
Σίγουρα δεν χρειαζόμαστε ειδικό βιβλίο για να μάθουμε ότι άλλο θέλουμε να δείξουμε, άλλο δείχνουμε κι άλλο καταλαβαίνουν οι γύρω μας μας, αλλά το συγκεκριμένο βιβλίο σίγουρα βοηθάει να συνειδητοποιήσει κανείς τι εντυπώσεις αφήνεις, ενώ παράλληλα του δίνει και τα εργαλεία για να βελτιώσει την εντύπωση που δημιουργεί στις πρώτες επαφές του και όχι μόνο.
Brandon Dalo
Lots of good information, a lot of it I had heard before and some of it is common sense. But if you're looking for a book to improve your first impressions, this one should definitely be your go to.
Benita
Jul 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If it weren't for this book, I'd have no friends or professional relationships. lol
Bernie
Jun 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent book. I have referred it to people who are looking (like me) to improve their social skills.
Audrey
Meh it had some OK research nothing too amazing.
Ahmed MubaraK
ليس كتابا قويا .. لم يعلق في ذهني كثير مما قيل
محمد جناحي
Very very great book
Kerri
Jul 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Great book! Highly recommend it!
April Pufahl
Concise overview of the research, with clear practical applications.
  • The Art of Dealing with People
  • Personality Plus for Couples: Understanding Yourself and the One You Love
  • So What?: How to Communicate What Really Matters to Your Audience
  • The Owner's Manual for the Brain: Everyday Applications from Mind-Brain Research
  • Messages: The Communication Skills Book
  • Creating Personal Presence: Look, Talk, Think, and Act Like a Leader
  • Questions are the Answers: How to Get to 'Yes' in Network Marketing
  • The 5 Essentials: Using Your Inborn Resources to Create a Fulfilling Life
  • Piano On The Beach
  • What To Do When There's Too Much To Do: Reduce Tasks, Increase Results, and Save 90 a Minutes Day
  • The Nonverbal Advantage: Secrets and Science of Body Language at Work
  • Household Gold (How to Convert Household Expenses into Household Income)
  • The Luck Factor: Changing Your Luck, Changing Your Life - The Four  Essential Principles
  • Succeeding When You're Supposed to Fail: The 6 Enduring Principles of High Achievement
  • Go for Gold: Inspiration to Increase Your Leadership Impact
  • Αιωνιότητα είναι θα περάσει (Η ζωή μετά, # 1)
  • Healing Anger: The Power of Patience from a Buddhist Perspective