Start by marking “Zwischen Himmel und Liebe” as Want to Read:
Zwischen Himmel und Liebe

Zwischen Himmel und Liebe

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  36,823 ratings  ·  2,160 reviews
Elizabeth hat ihr Leben fest im Griff. Sie kümmert sich um ihr Designbüro, ihren mürrischen Vater, die unzuverlässige Schwester und ihren sechsjährigen Neffen Luke. Doch niemanden lässt sie wirklich an sich heran - zu schmerzhaft war die Vergangenheit.

Ivan ist nicht von dieser Welt. Niemand kann ihn sehen. Wirklich niemand? Nur seine Schützlinge: Sein Job ist,"
Published 2006 by Krüger Verlag (first published November 21st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Zwischen Himmel und Liebe, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Jennifer It's that eventually she wouldn't be able to see him/hear him/interact with him. So that's not an actual relationship. I guess the point is that he…moreIt's that eventually she wouldn't be able to see him/hear him/interact with him. So that's not an actual relationship. I guess the point is that he loved her so much that he didn't want to put her in a situation where her life stagnates again-just like the old man's did when Olivia showed Ivan her love.

I agree with the other answerer. I don't think that there is any implication that she ends up with Benjamin-more that she's changed from an uptight person to someone more relaxed and fun thanks to Ivan.(less)
NoRa Invisible but backwards, that is, Elbisivni. Though he could just have made that up.

·  36,823 ratings  ·  2,160 reviews

Rebecca
Nov 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What did I think? WHAT DID I THINK?! Well, if I told you that I sat on the bed and cried exactly like this for about five to ten minutes after I'd closed the book, does that put it in perspective for you?

Front Cover.
I really, really liked the front cover for 'If You Could See Me Now', it was simple, natural, and actually depicts a huge part in the book. When I first saw it I thought it was lovely anyway b
Karolina
I thought I'd make it simple and just list a few facts about If You Could See Me Now:

1. It is not a typical romance novel.
2. It is not to everyone's taste.
3. It's written for people with imagination.
4. It has made me laugh and cry in the most unexpected way.
5. It's 'sprinkled with magic'.
6. It taught me that sometimes you just need to let go and simply enjoy.
7. It is an indescribably touching story.
8. It made me want to have Ivan as best frie
Sara
Oct 03, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nobody
Amira
Oct 25, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
This was my first Cecelia Ahern read and I sincerely hope it won't be my last because it was just so amazing. The concept of the novel was so beautiful and innocent.

When I read the blurb, I had no idea there was a sense of magic about it. I just thought it was a normal chic-lit book that intrigued me, yet again. Oh, how wrong I was.

Ahern took me on a journey whereby I witnessed things I hadn't thought about since childhood. I was thrilled by the happiness, sucking me in w
Myrna
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
This book needs to be read with no inhibitions. It was a great fantasy read for this time of year. The audio was well done with great melodic music, Irish accents, etc. At first I didn't care much for this book ..... *mild spoiler*..... no book with an imaginary friend can beat Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend, no book. LOL! Then this book took a whole different twist on love, letting go, and finding happiness. Wish it ended differently but it made sense.
Elaine
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very hard book to review because whilst I did have some misgivings about parts of it, on the whole I really enjoyed reading this magical fairy tale of a story. It is the story of Elizabeth and her imaginary friend Ivan, whose relationship develops over the course of the book to a point where someone has to say “stop, this will not work”. The story itself is really lovely although there were times I wanted to shake Elizabeth. It was as if she could not see what was, or was not staring h ...more
Jenny
Sep 08, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ugh. I really struggled with reading this book. It took me so much longer than it should have just because I could not get into it! I guess I am just too practical to enjoy this one. :) I have no problem with a book being a little unrealistic, for the sake of a good love story. :) But in this case, I had a problem with a woman falling in love with an "imaginary friend" who is in fact real, but not really. Arrgg. I could not take it. I could not get into it. I felt like I was reading a childrens ...more
Gatlianne Gatlianne
This book sat on my bookshelf for quite a while...waiting for me to be ready to read it. And when it was time...it was time. I flew through the book unable to sit it aside. The story is so sweetly touching. It's playful and lighthearted yet full of deep emotion and caring. I couldn't wait to finish the book to pass it along to a friend. This is a story about coming into your own and letting go of the deep seeded beliefs and fears that get in your way. You finish it and it's like you're sitting i ...more
Mark
Sep 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ah, kindness. It's the thing we crave the most, and all too often it doesn't show up. This lovely book blazes with it. This is a breezy romantic comedy/fantasy, but what you might not expect is the emotional punch. It will floor you.
Elizabeth Egan lives in a small Irish town and takes care of her nephew Luke. She's an interior designer and her life seems perfectly organized, but hectic. Into their lives comes Ivan, a sort of "professional imaginary best friend". They usually show up to hel
Hadya
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 stars
GOD FUCKING DAMMNIT SOMEONE STOP THE PAIN. I CANT. WHY. WHAT HAVE I DONE TO DESERVE THIS.

This book is the book that taught me precisely the feeling of wanting to throw it at a wall across the room ((thankfully I barely refrained))

No but seriously, why? like um I'm not writing a freaking review for this, I feel lightheaded from all that crying and all I want to do is throw this book at a wall, this book has ruined me.

like I went into the book thinking it'd be som
Versha
Apr 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-it, read-in-2013
There are some books which makes you happy just like that without any genuine reason behind it, this was one of those for me. I really like this imaginary world of happiness which Cecelia Ahern created and yes it was indeed a modern fairy tale with a practical ending which was actually the best part. Whenever I used to open this book it only took me to another world, a world which I was glad to be a part of.
Sandra
Jul 03, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't sure what to expect, but at the library, I found this on the shelf and decided to give it a chance. I really, really liked it. I usually don't just pick up a book from the shelf--I like them to be recommended or on a special table, but I'm glad I did.

Elizabeth, an independent, fierce, rigid person, who is raising her carefree sister's six year old son, is on the pathway to a very lonely and loveless existence until she meets Ivan. Ivan turns out not to be who she thought he
Andy
Sep 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you could see me now... This is the second book I read by Cecelia Ahern, a long time ago, the first one was P.S. I love you, before the movie came out. I read a review about it, and was set off to see what is was about... And did I found something incredible indeed. Cecelia has captivated me, in all her books.
But I must say it's If You Could See Me Now the one that has such an special place in my heart, words are just not enough to explain. See from the very first moment, I felt a connection to
Shannon
Jan 20, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: avoid
Sammy
This book is different than most of the books i have read , it has quite an imagination , the element of surprise , & the theme of hope ...
I would recommend this book for those who are searching for hope , for new beginning , cause it makes you see the world with a very different perspective .

The love is so pure & selfless , the innocence would feel your eyes , & the part where you know its going to be that way , you still want to believe in a miracle ,there is a ve
Marjolein
Will Cecelia Ahern ever not make me cry? Probably not.

This was another beautiful story filled with imagination and joy. I loved it. It was happy and lovely and sad at the same time. It was a lovestory, but then again it wasn't. It was about loving yourself and accepting yourself and choosing happiness over sadness. This book had a great moral and I can highly recommend it to everyone. This was my fourth Cecelia book and again, it was a definite win.
Tatevik Najaryan
Usually I don't read romances. And if I do, the rating is always below 2 stars. This Ahern is kind of exception. Love, Rosie was excellent, so I thought I should try her other works.
I was lying ill, trying to figure out what can I do in order not to get bored, prevent myself from getting out of bed and get even worse, when this book caught my eye. I got pleasantly surprised when after half of the book I didn't have the urge to throw the book from 8th floor (well, in this case, my phone - I was
Joy Joy
Mar 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
I really liked it. The book welcomed me into the "agency" of imaginary friends.:P And I thought if this group really existed, I would like to have an imaginary friend as a companion-- to right my wrongs, to serve as a company when life gets too silent, to poke and tell me to enjoy life, or to let me see how constant change really is. Believe me, I could relate myself to Lizzie (in so many ways). I wondered if I ever had an imaginary friend when I was young(I'd better ask my mom about this).

Lizz
Glass Fairy
Aug 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'll be honest...I set out to go spoiler free but I failed, there's too much I want to mope about..sooo...***Spoilers ahead***

I loved this story, I did deduct a star because I didn't get my happy ending :( sometimes I need to read a book and have the most impossible love story work out...it gives me hope, but instead I got dashed dreams and a tear stained book..

Elizabeth Egan has a tragic story (most of us do..but hers is quite heartwrenchingly unfair) having been abandon
Kris - My Novelesque Life
Jul 16, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: con romance with Magic realism
RATING: 1.5 STARS
(Review Not on Blog)

P.S. I Love You is one of my favourite novels so I was excited to read more of Ahern's books, but I just could not like this book. This novel about an imaginary friend and an abandoned child sounded like it had real promise. Instead this story fell flat and I felt like the characters were not fully developed.
VaultOfBooks
May 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
By Cecelia Ahern – Grade A+

There are no words to express how touching this story is.
I’ve read two books by Cecilia Ahern – P.S. I Love You and this. Both of them have touched my heart in a way rarely any book has.
If You Could See Me Now is a book which would make even the cynic of cynics sob like a baby.

Let me give you some background.
If You Could See Me Now is a gentle tale; a love story with a twist.
Elizabeth is a very uptight and no nonsense lad
Akaii
I was drawn to this book since the very begging. It's so different from what I usually read and the story is written so beautifully. All the characters are so endearing , especially Ivan. He is an unforgettable character and easy to fall in love with. The changes he brought in Elizabeth were remarkable. I find it amazing how just one person can change lives even after years of restraint and rigid discipline. Sometimes love is right there, it's just that people can see it or not. This book was a ...more
Sarah Obsesses over Books & Cookies
“The more you try to simplify things the more you complicate them. You create rules, build walls, push people away, lie to yourself and ignore true feelings. That is not simplifying things.”
― Cecelia Ahern, If You Could See Me Now

Some people aren't into the whimsical. They like to stay grounded in reality and they like to know that what they're reading is concrete and is a variance on what their own life is like- or maybe someone they'd wish their life was like or maybe glad that it's not like
Rebecca Carter
I've not read a Cecelia Ahern book before this (I've seen the film P.S I love you years ago and found that touching), and must admit I was expecting more of a generic chick lit/romance kind of novel. So what a nice surprise it was to discover it had other elements sprinkled throughout. I won't elaborate too much as I don't want to spoil it, although you'll get the jist of it within a few chapters.

I think I was expecting a kind of Marian Keyes style of writing, minus Marian's humour,
Kat
Nov 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book. It wasn't entirely what I had expected, but the surprise was a pleasant one. I want to meet someone as clear-sighted and imaginative as Ivan. His playful, adventurous, carefree approach in life matches mine, and the world would be a much better place if there were more people like him in it.

The message this book sends is wonderful. The world can be a truly magical place if we treat our time in it as such. Memorable, important, worthwhile. We worry too much about the wrong thi
Nessa
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a truly delightful and heartfelt read. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Joanna
Oct 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-romance
Last September 7, 2008, 3:30pm...i came to my room and wept.(JOKE!) haha!
I got the book from my bookshelf and started reading the book...(duh!)

before anything else i would just like to say this, a quote from the book that was mentioned by one of the characters, and that is, GNIROB!(smiles)

You know the movie P.S. I Love You? yep. Cecelia Ahern is also the author of that book. This book "If You Could See Me Now" will also be made into a film. waaah! OK, i know i'm obs
Aishwary Mehta (The_Fugitive_Biker)
Quote from the Book I Liked - But that's the thing about lessons: you always learn them when you don't expect them or want them.

Stars - 3/5

Synopsis - What if love was right there in front of you? you just couldn't see it? Elizabeth Egan is too busy for friends. As a reluctant mother to her sister Saoirse's young son Luke and with her own business to run, every precious moment is made to count.But with Saoirse crashing in and out of their lives, leaving both her sister and her son r-
Madeline Pugh
Jun 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes we just need to let go. We need to relax, stop worrying and just enjoy ourselves. Take a break form the real world and all it stress and demand for perfection to be happy and free. You see, we all need to take a break every once in a while to let go , and many it come natural but for some it is difficult to break down the barrier holding them back.

If You Could See Me Now by Cecelia Ahern is a creative story that takes place in a cozy small town in Ireland. Elizabeth Egan whole life ha
Shxrxn
May 12, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
love was one of those feelings that you could never have control of.

People forget they have options. And they forget that those things really don’t matter. They should concentrate on what they have and
not what they don’t have. And by the way, wishing and dreaming doesn’t
mean concentrating on what you don’t have, it’s positive thinking that encourages hoping and believing, not whinging and moaning.

Life’s kind of like a painting. A really bizarre, abstract paint
Books & Coffee Bo...: March 2018: If You Could See Me Now 10 22 May 02, 2018 06:26PM
Movie? 9 158 Feb 15, 2017 08:20AM
Reading Circle IT...: frist five chapters 4 18 May 22, 2014 09:00AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #34 If You Could See Me Now 1 3 Apr 16, 2014 11:58AM
Reading Circle IT...: Chapter 6 to 15 1 3 Mar 14, 2014 01:33PM
Next book 5 39 Feb 12, 2014 12:20PM

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • The Learning Curve
  • Höhenrausch
  • Glückskekse
  • Secrets
  • Venus Envy
Cecelia Ahern was born and grew up in Dublin. She is now published in nearly fifty countries, and has sold over twenty-five million copies of her novels worldwide. Two of her books have been adapted as films and she has created several TV series.
“When you drop a glass or a plate to the ground it makes a loud crashing sound. When a window shatters a table leg breaks or when a picture falls off the wall it makes a noise. But as for your heart when that breaks it s completely silent. You would think as it s so important it would make the loudest noise in the whole world or even have some ... Read Moresort of ceremonious sound like the gong of a cymbal or the ringing of a bell. But it s silent and you almost wish there was a noise to distract you from the pain. If there is a noise it s internal. It screams and no one can hear it but you. It screams so loud your ears ring and your head aches. It trashes around in your chest like a great white shark caught in the sea it roars like a mother bear whose cub has been taken. That s what it looks like and that s what it sounds like a trashing panicking trapped great big beast roaring like a prisoner to its own emotions. But that s the thing about love no one is untouchable.” 549 likes
“That's the thing about lessons, you always learn them when you don't expect them or want them.” 548 likes