Start by marking “The Gospel of Luke” as Want to Read:
The Gospel of Luke

The Gospel of Luke

(The New International Commentary on the New Testament)

This highly original commentary, part of the New International Commentary, is unique for the way it combines concerns with first-century culture in the Roman world with understanding the text of Luke as a wholistic, historical narrative.
Published October 2nd 1997 by Eerdmans (first published October 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Gospel of Luke, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gospel of Luke

Start your review of The Gospel of Luke
Sue
26 Mar 2015 - Reading the Kindle edition, and about 1/3 of the way through. Green's commentary is a literary analysis of Luke, meaning he gets into the story, tries to figure out what Luke's point is, finds commonality between sections of Luke's own narrative and certain passages in the Old Testament, and does his best to take on the mind of Luke. Enlightening. My only complaint is that the Kindle edition, which usually lets you zoom or shrink text, does not do this for certain areas where Green ...more
Tim
Nov 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Green's commentary on Luke is a remarkable narrative approach to the text, providing a fresh new breeze of realization from a familiar text. I will not claim to have read every page of this almost 900 page commentary, but I have read over half of it. Green is not the one to go to explain every Greek word, but if you want to know the co-text and the context of the Gospel of Luke, to know the culture in which Jesus lived and how he and his message upended that culture (and by implication ours ...more
William
Nov 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
A great commentary on Luke. Green takes a narrative-historical approach and examines Luke on his own terms. In preaching through Luke I found this to the most helpful of my stack of commentaries. On the down-side, Greens is sometimes so focused on "social justice" that he can miss the primary thrust of a passage. While I might go to Green first, I wouldn't rely on him alone; the alternative viewpoints of other commentators are necessary. Green doesn't always "show his work", giving little more ...more
David
Feb 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
I used this book as I was teaching from the Gospel of Luke throughout the Spring. Overall it is a very helpful commentary giving historical background information and focusing on the overall story Luke was telling, within the context of what had come before (Israel, Old Testament) and what would come after (Acts). Recommended to anyone studying and teaching on Luke.
Ken
Aug 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is a literary analysis of the Gospel of Luke. This was very helpful to look at Luke as a literary work with important pieces of information rooted in how this text was written. I would recommend this as another commentary to help anyone who is studying Luke to look at it through different eyes.
Ryan Linkous
Feb 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
This commentary by Green is fantastic. It approaches Luke mainly on Luke's terms and the OT's terms rather than on the terms of the other Synoptic Gospels. It's very readable and Green has great insights. If only more commentaries were as readable and accessible as Green's! I'm thankful for this work of scholarship that serves both the academy and the church.
Steve
Aug 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: bible
After reading slowly (and rather laboriously) through the commentary over a rather long period, I finished with a sigh. Admirable and valuable, yes. But disappointing, or at least not for me. (I posted a longer review on Amazon.)
David
Apr 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
The replacement volume for Geldenhuys' commentary on Luke in the NICNT series, it is MUCH better than Geldenhuys. I didn't think Celdenhuys ever said a great deal, and Green is much better and has become one of my top commentaries on Luke's gospel.
Dustin Bagby
Mar 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
During the last 1.5 years in Luke, this has been the most helpful commentary I've read. Excellent! I highly recommend it.
Graham
Jun 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The best available single volume commentary on Luke.
Brett
Jan 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Used not read. There could not be anything worse than reading a commentary straight away. This is a really good one. To have by your side if you are studying Luke.
Greg Coates
Aug 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
My all-time favorite commentary on any book.
Javier Villar
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: prayer
"For nothing will be impossible with God".

A review of the gospel, not the edition.
Jeff
Dec 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: commentary
His Wesleyanism only showed through once. Most questions were answered and there was very good detail except for only a few times. Very good.
Adam Shields
Sep 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Short review: Very good commentary.

My longer reviews on my blog. http://bookwi.se/luke-green/
Mike
Jan 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very helpful in elucidating the historical background of Luke and the Greek text. It can be dense at times and is probably best for the serious student / minister.
Kevan
Mar 03, 2017
Matthew Miller
Apr 03, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Luke (Zondervan Exegetical Commentary on The New Testament)
  • The Desert Fathers
  • Acts
  • Luke (Exegetical Guide to the Greek New Testament)
  • Why Darwin Matters: The Case Against Intelligent Design
  • Monkey Girl: Evolution, Education, Religion, and the Battle for America's Soul
  • The Counter-Creationism Handbook
  • Evolution: What the Fossils Say and Why It Matters
  • The Essential Cosmic Perspective Media Update
  • Essential Biology with Physiology [With CDROM]
  • A Field Guide to Reptiles and Amphibians: Eastern and Central North America
Joel B. Green (PhD, University of Aberdeen) is professor of New Testament interpretation and associate dean of the Center for Advanced Theological Studies at Fuller Theological Seminary in Pasadena, California. Prior to moving to Fuller, he taught at Asbury Theological Seminary for ten years. He is editor-in-chief of the Journal of Theological Interpretation and has authored or edited numerous ...more

The New International Commentary on the New Testament (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • The Gospel of Matthew
  • The Gospel of Mark (New International Commentary on the New Testament)
  • The Gospel According to John