Start by marking “The Story of Your Life: Inspiring Stories of God at Work in People Just like You” as Want to Read:

When Grammy-nominated recording artist Matthew West started writing his top-selling new album, The Story of Your Life(Sparrow, 2010) he asked fans to submit personal experiences. More than 10,000 tales of hope, perseverance, and redemption poured in. With friend and author Angela Thomas, West presents some of these powerful stories paired with meaningful devotions they ins ...more
Published September 1st 2011 by Harvest House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Story of Your Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Story of Your Life

Lady Jaye
3.5 stars.

Off the bat I'd say this works best as a supplement to a devotional and not as a stand-alone collection.

I've listened to and liked some songs by Matthew West, so I did a double take when I realized the author and the musician were one and the same (I did not realize it at first :D)

So the format of the book is that a short letter/tale that someone submitted is published, and then either Matthew or Angela offers a short passage of exhortations/encouragement after that. This is why it w
Sojourner
Oct 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Matthew West's third album “Something To Say” was not only full of huge, faith-inspiring songs from an artist who truly has something to say, but it also had a direct impact on my life and that of my four young daughters as it was released around the time we were struggling with the harsh realities of life – cancer and death.

Then I signed up to receive news and important alerts from Matthew West. One day a message from the artist popped up. He was writing The Story of Your Life and asked fans to
Danae
2.5*

I didn't like this book as much as I thought I would. I love this CD and the idea behind it, and I love reading the stories in the CD booklet. I guess I just don't care so much about what Matthew West and Angela Thomas have to say about them (no offence...). The stories themselves are beautiful and I enjoyed those, as expected. The responses are sweet... just not what I'm interested in.

On a positive note, West quoted C.S. Lewis two or three times, if I recall correctly, so he gets points for
Jennifer Jensen
Aug 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One day, Matthew West went to a cabin in the woods. He took with him 10000 stories. It is no wonder that he came out changed. He read pain and praise and brokenness and healing tales of truth from the people who lived them. From the experience, he has already written some incredible songs that fill an album (and I am sure there will be more to follow).

Now, with Angela Thomas (a Lifeway speaker and experienced author) Matthew has turned some of these stories, including many from the album, and tu
Georgia Herod
Mar 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
After seeing Matthew West in concert and learning about his story project, I knew I wanted to read this book. Oh, the power of story! Encouraging and filled with reality and redemption, The Story of Your Life reveals that our lives are telling a story, which only makes sense when we know God’s epic.

Oh, the power of an idea that seems so insignificant at the moment! Matthew West, Grammy-nominated recording artist, would quickly say, “Let me tell you . . . .” He had no idea what he was about to e
Shannon
Jul 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great book of short stories and devotions of how God has worked in real people's lives. Each of the 52 stories are linked to Scripture and have a devotional response from either Matthew West or Angela Thomas. It is drenched in Gospel presentations.
Amy
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read this as a devotional of sorts. I like Matthew West's music, and I've done a Bible study of Angela Thomas' - this was a good combo. I enjoyed the scriptures at the end of each story and their commentary as well.
Nina
Sep 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really sweet devotional. I am extremely impressed by the courage of those who shared their most personal stories.
T.M.
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Need tissues for this one. Great book.

Lauren Cline
Nov 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Matthew West, a contemporary Christian artist, wrote this book with the help of many personal stories that were sent to him and a dear friend, and author, Angela Thomas. When West was beginning to write his new album, he asked fans to send in personal experiences telling the story of their lives. He received over 10,000 touching stories in which he used to write this devotional. West took many of the life changing stories and published them in this book along with scripture from the bible and a ...more
Bonny
Oct 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
"To be an imitator of Jesus Christ is to live by the overarching principles that Jesus taught and modeled in the New Testament. Becoming an imitator doesn't mean wearing the same clothes or eating the same things or living in the same place. To imitate Christ is to assimilate the truths of the Bible into your life, with your personality woven thoroughly through your calling. To imitate Christ means that in your everyday life, wherever you are, you are consciously choosing to become more and more ...more
An
Dec 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
COVER: I just love it. Whoever thought of this idea, kudos to you! It's like stories coming to life and that is what this book is about. So inspiring!

CONTENT: Basically, it was written by a Christian Contemporary singer (check his music out!!) and his friend. He had a project called the story of your life, where people would send in letters to him and he'd choose a few to write songs from. And that is where this book originated. Filled with teared spilled letters or hopeful letters, devotions we
Lisa Kersey
Oct 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"But every single day, God not only calls us into our own stories but also invites us to become charcters in the stories of others." -Matthew West

This is a great inspirational read, a story in here for EVERYONE! West and Thomas have taken stories from ordinary people, using them to create these wonderful devotions. They really made me evaluate my life and appreciate everything God has given me, blessings and blessings in disquise. And to know that God isn't finished with my story makes me excite
Anna
Jan 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a great read about Matthew's journey working on his latest cd. He asked fans to write him life stories and how God is working or challenging them in their life. He reflects on each of the stories with the help of Angela Thomas. Each story he shares he or Angela give a reflection on it.
Susan Briskey
Feb 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It is so inspiring! No matter what you are going through all you have to do is look around at the people around you and you will see that with you and God on the same team nothing can stop you.
Emily Davidson
Mar 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The stories in here are so inspiring!! Maybe some of them I could relate to better than others but all of them have a very powerful message. God is using Matthew West to do incredible things in this world and I highly recommend his music.
John
Aug 09, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a good devotional book about the different people's stories and how they came to know Christ. God is a merciful God that he will forgive the sins of anyone who accepts Jesus Christ as their personal Lord and Savior.
Alex Retzlaff
Mar 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was just really inspiring. It answered questions I had about my life, and it gave me hope, and I would thank God every day for giving that to me through this book.
Crystal Watkins
Oct 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
several uplifting and inspiring experiences in the book.
Esther Yee
Jul 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Love Matthew west and his music! This book tells the stories of some of his songs
Judy Christen
Mar 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How inspiring!

What a fantastic collection of personal stories about people whose lives were changed by the marvelous Grace of our God!!!
Kerry
Jul 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
such an inspirational book! loved it and will probably read it many times over my lifetime just to remember that my own troubles don't even compare...
Michelle M Moore
Dec 22, 2015
Jessica
Feb 25, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »

Matthew West is a multiple-ASCAP Christian Music Songwriter/Artist of the Year winner, a four-time GRAMMY nominee, and was awarded his first American Music Award (2013) and a Billboard Music Award (2014). Matthew West's discography includes acclaimed releases: Happy (2003), History (2005), Something to Say (2008