Start by marking “Some Things I Never Thought I'd Do (West End, #1)” as Want to Read:
Some Things I Never Thought I'd Do (West End, #1)

Some Things I Never Thought I'd Do

(West End #1)

With the unique blend of truth and humor that made her first novel, What Looks Like Crazy on an Ordinary Day, a huge bestseller, Pearl Cleage returns with an extraordinary novel that is rich in character, steeped in sisterhood, and bursting with unexpected love... and maybe just a little magic.

Depending on the time of day, Regina Burns is a woman on the edge of a nervous
Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Published February 4th 2009 by One World/Ballantine (first published 2003)

Start your review of Some Things I Never Thought I'd Do (West End, #1)
Malika
Aug 01, 2011 rated it liked it
It was only "ok" for me. Didn't have the charm of the "what crazy looks like..." or the build up of the "love" story that "red dress" did. You never really got to know Blue, Doo Doo was just a shadow of a bad guy with only 1 or 2 lines of dialog. The story moved slowly and then about 50 pages from the end, it turned into a sprint. Enjoyable, but not her best.
Kimz Zahour
I enjoyed the characters in this book and the friendships building between them along their journey. I especially liked Aunt Abbie who considers herself to be a visionary advisor.
My favorite quote:
"I don't hear voices," she sniffed. "I have visions. There's a difference, although you're still too full of estrogen to understand it." Aunt Abbie goes on the say "Estrogen is fine, but it definitely blocks a lot of female magic, especially the stuff having to do with being able to see the past and
Lachelle René ~Reading: It does the body good!~
I love Pearl Cleage. I just do. Her books just make me smile, laugh, gasp, mmmm hmmmm, and I'm sure there are a lot more things I do out loud when I'm reading or listening to her books. For me, her books are relate-able . I can see the characters and feel what I think they are feeling. In this book, man... the main character could have been me. I related on so many levels. I felt so much (and not the feelings like, you wish the book was over type feelings). When I FEEL when reading a book, and I ...more
Atena Oyadi
Jan 17, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Someone who wants a good sista story
I was able to get pretty engaged with this story. I like the stories she has to tell - they are compelling. I think it's interesting that she starts the story talking about drug addiction as though it were merely a series of bad decisions, with few physical or psychological ramifications beyond the loss of cash and property. I think she treats the topic a little too lightly, and with a smidge of judgement.

I also take issue with the way she presents this "neighborhood cleansing," without much
Lynecia
Jan 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys love stories...with a twist
Recommended to Lynecia by: Teacakes
I really enjoyed this book--Pearl Cleage has a wonderful knack for heartwarming love stories and then sneaking in a little politics (lol). All in all, she's weaved and wonderful love story--one that has traveled through time--literally!
Shauna
Oct 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: the hopeful
this book touches me..i have read it over and over and always find soemthing new to take away from it...i love pearl cleage as an author and will rread anything she writes
Jeanie
Regina Burns, turns her life around, but is in danger of loosing her family's home. Her great aunt has a vision that she will travel, where she doesnt want to go, meet a mysterious blue eyed black man, and Regina will rescue a damsel in distress. As long as she can pay back her back mortgage in 60 days, Regina will do what ever she can.
I totally enjoyed this book, a lot of it situated in a neighborhood in Atlanta . I'm off to read more of the author.
Tracy Darity
Sep 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Some Things I Never Thought Id Do by Pearl Cleage is somewhat of an urban fantasy romance. The story opens in Washington D.C. with Regina Burns having just returned home from rehab and is on the verge of losing the family home. With the guidance of her Aunt Abbie, she returns to Atlanta where all her problems began, the intention being to raise the required cash to appease the banker who half-heartedly wants to help her save the house that the aunt has mysteriously taken up residence in during ...more
Christina
Teaguem2005
Feb 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. I really enjoyed this book. I was invested by the first chapter's end. I really had a visual of Blue and appreciated the man who appreciated, protected, and respected the women who both unwittingly as well as willingly sought his protection. Blue was a man's man and sought to guide and teach even though he only intended to deliver his lesson one time.

I loved the fact that Aunt Abbie was old school whilst still open to accept her newly acquired gift. Thought it hilarious that she kept
Heather
Jul 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult
Pearl Cleage is an amazing author. She writes what would be classified as African American fiction, but I really consider it more women's fiction. Her characters are believable and likable, even though they are truly flawed human beings - maybe because of it? But her women are strong, stronger than they realize, and they grow and deepen in character throughout her novels. This novel is no different, with the main character recently out of rehab and trying to put her life back together. I highly ...more
Sarauna
Oct 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
Read it in a day, but there just was no development. The love story was rushed, the magical element just came off as an afterthought. It was still well written, her descriptions made you feel the energy of the communities she explored, but the storyline itself could have used more conviction.
Jazzmen Brown
Nov 10, 2015 rated it liked it
I liked it. I was a feel-good light hearted read for me. I put it down a few times, but I always came back to it. I described it as a book to refresh my reading palate when I'm reading extreme genres.
Sj
Jun 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Read this for the first time 8 years ago, and reading again for my bookclub selection. Still resonates with me in many, many ways...my favorite by one of my favorite authors!
Maria Noel
Nov 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Pearl Cleage does it again!
Rebecca ''BUTTER'' Garrett
Jul 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
PEARL CLEAGE IS JUST AN EXTRAORDINARY AUTHOR...I LOVE HER STYLE :)
Jill
Jun 19, 2013 rated it liked it
This is the first time I've read this author and enjoy this book. I would most likely, read something else of hers. She has a relax style, fresh and mature style. Well done.
Deanna
Nov 17, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: yes
Great book. Thanks for recommending it B. I am kind of sad its over.
Sandra Menefee
Mar 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Set in Atlanta's West End. The author knows the area. I found this book interesting and it held my attention. The ending was very unexpected.
That's what made it good reading.
Darlene
Mar 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a story of helping and doing the right thing with a love story mixed in. I love Pearl Cleage. These are characters I grew attached to. I hated to see the book come to an end.
Brittany
Jan 24, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book was too ambitious. There were too many themes and stories and as a result the resolution was lackluster.
Faith
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Marsha Johnson Davis
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
I didn't like the flow of this book. It seemed a bit choppy, however all pieces did come together at the end. I've read a few of Cleage's books before. As usual, she has strong female characters which I love. Also, the setting is in Atlanta, which is where I'm from. That's a plus also. One subplot that I really thought was flawed was voting as a group based on your gender, race, etc...I think people should vote for what you stand for as an individual. You can only be that strong person when you ...more
Kim Outlaw
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Pearl Cleague is one of those fiction writers who weaves so much historical and local history in her characters and environment that feel like the most outrageous of scenarios could really happen right when and where she says it did and does. I wish Id been a student of hers. Her perspective is captivating and uplifting and optimistic and frank. This how I feel about all of her works that Ive read to date. ...more
Sherrilyn
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fun read

Sometimes, you just want to sit and cuddle up with a book that's simply a fun and easy read. One plus one doesn't always have to equal two, and all truths don't have to be facts. The story is easy, the characters are sometimes other-worldly, and the plot moves along quite seamlessly. It's just something to sit, read and enjoy. Plausibility and deep reflection need not enter the realm. Just enjoy!
Purple6
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Some Things, you must do...

This was my first experience reading work by Pearl Cleage and I absolutely loved it. So much so, I must find and read other books by her. I love a writer that makes me have that, I can't wait to see what happens next feel. And I recommend that what others must do is read this book. 😊
Liz
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it: the writing, arch of the story, the characters! So many quotable lines:
" One of the problems black folks have is we're usually so busy making history that we don't take the time to record it." The story of pioneers everywhere.
Brenda Blakely
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved the African American cultural heritage here, perspectives I had previously no clue, offered with life, colour and music. This was such a fun, easy read. The characters are intriguing and grow with the plot. I love the scene changes and the vibrancy and memories in each location.
Shanika Carter
Feb 10, 2018 rated it liked it
An interesting read, particularly with (ATTENTION: A BIT OF A SPOILER!) the whole time travel addition to the story. Besides a few storylines being thrown in the mix that seemed to come out of nowhere, in my opinion, I did like the main character and the story of her journey.
Terry
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a good read and this author is A#1 with me! Stop hiding and living in denial. Whats done is done. Face it head on and move on! ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• I Almost Forgot About You
  • Nappily Ever After (Nappily, #1)
  • Harlem
  • The Untelling
  • Would I Lie to You? (Nappily, #2)
  • Finding Yvonne
  • Sister, Sister
  • Who Asked You?
  • Waiting to Exhale (Waiting To Exhale #1)
  • Leslie
  • Homemade Love
  • God Ain't Blind (God Don't Like Ugly, #4)
  • Olivia Holmes Has Inherited A Vineyard
  • Lean on Me (Family Is Forever, #1)
  • More Than Enough: Claiming Space for Who You Are (No Matter What They Say)
  • The Beautiful Ones
  • Nappily Faithful (Nappily, #4)
  • Nappily Married (Nappily, #3)
Pearl Cleage (born December 7, 1948) is an African-American author whose work, both fiction and non-fiction, has been widely recognized. Her novel What Looks Like Crazy on an Ordinary Day was a 1998 Oprah Book Club selection. Cleage is known for her feminist views, particularly regarding her identity as an African-American woman. Cleage teaches drama at Spelman College in Atlanta, Georgia.

Pearl

West End (5 books)
  • Babylon Sisters (West End, #2)
  • Baby Brother's Blues (West End, #3)
  • Till You Hear from Me (West End, #4)
  • Just Wanna Testify (West End, #5)

News & Interviews

“Buying flowers is not just a way to bring home beauty. It's an expression of confidence that better days are coming. It's a defiant finger in the face of those naysayers who would have you believe your fortunes will never improve.” 7 likes
“You can only get your heart broke so many times before you forget how to offer it up at all.” 1 likes