Start by marking “The Junkie Quatrain” as Want to Read:
The Junkie Quatrain

The Junkie Quatrain

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  1,262 Ratings  ·  130 Reviews
Four short stories. Each one's a different type of post-apocalypse story. Survival horror. Ethical horror. Adventure horror. And one where the protagonist barely notices the apocalypse has happened. Each one stands alone and (hopefully) makes for a fun little read.

But if you read two or three or all four, you'll see several events from different perspectives. And if you l
Audiobook, 108 pages
Published 2011 by Permuted Press

To ask other readers questions about The Junkie Quatrain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Junkie Quatrain

Robin (Bridge Four)
May 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoy most Peter Clines books. They are have a Tales From The Crypt or a little twilight Zone vibe to them. Someone told me this was set in the same world as the ex-heroes books, IT IS NOT. This is a whole new zombie apocalypse world with a totally different origin story.

I liked how the four short stories were set at about the same time and some characters intersected. It was such an interesting way to tell one short story from varying views and build an origin story in an original way. Each s
11811 (Eleven)
Apr 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Standard zombie fare. Well written with decent character development but it still seemed ordinary as far as zombie stories go.

2.5
David
Dec 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: hungry junkies, scavengers on bikes, post-apocalyptic hit-men
This is a set of four interlinked short stories in post-zombie apocalypse Los Angeles.

The first story is about one woman, traveling alone, who is supposedly immune to the virus that creates "Junkies" (so-named because they eat literally anything they can stuff into their mouths). She acquires a traveling companion, another woman. Trouble ensues.

The second story is about a biological researcher who is brought to a research facility that is trying to develop a cure. He uncovers the Horrible Truth.
Eric
Aug 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Honestly this little series was great after I read the ZombieFest exclusives on Audible and ever better when cut together as one now. I know these little shorts are going somewhere, wherever Clines takes them I am in.
Ashley Marie
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
*listened to audiobook*

This was four different stories but I loved how they all pieced together perfectly.
Heather Faville
Jan 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Do you like thrilling suspense? Mystery? The Undead? Interested in how people survive in an apocalyptic world? Well then you need to stop reading right here and just trust Doubleshot Reviews and go pick up a copy of The Junkie Quatrain by Ex-Heroes/Ex-Patriots author Peter Clines. Go ahead, I'll wait............

Ok, got your copy? GREAT! Now pick any one of the 4 stories and read it, then roll a die and pick the next story and continue as such. You're thinking I'm crazy right about now, aren't yo
Joe
Sep 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: zombie, apocalypse
Four separate stories! All interwoven! All readable in whatever order you want to read them in! The stories weave themselves around a lean mean woman (with issues) surviving on her own, a band of scavengers that has picked the wrong place to scavenge, a brilliant researcher with luck and integrity to spare, a thoroughly professional killer, and the Baugh-ridden (infected plague victims reduced to the level of cannibalistic meth monkeys). It's a great read, and one I hated to put down so that I c ...more
Stian Drøbak
May 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
I am rather fond of Peter Clines other books, and this one was a bit disappointing by comparison, but it still was a good book. It's a bit different in that it follow 3 different character's, but instead of doing like he did in ex-heroes, the characters whole story play out before going to the next character, and all these characters cross path with the others at some point, so you get details that you might have been curious about in the previous character's story. If felt that the end was lack ...more
Suzanne  Rutherford
I usually don't read Zombie stories for one reason or another and this was my first. Have to say I loved it. I really LIKE the way the stories were written and how you had the same characters, but varying views of each that intersected each short story kind of making it into a into a "book'. instead of 4 or 5 different novelle's - which is what I expected.
Gwen Morris
Apr 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this. though my favorite chapters were 1 and 4 all of them were entertaining and the audiobook was only 4 hours long so i burned through it on my walk to and from work. Peter clines has definitely become one of my favorite authors.
Julie
May 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: zombie lovers, short story fans
Fantastic set. I love how the stories are independent but inter-related. I picked this because of the narrators, but I also have 4 other Clines books (his Ex-Heroes series) in my To be Listened files. If this is a glimpse into his standard of writing, I'll really enjoy those.
Ian James
Apr 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
I want more
Linda
May 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
These short stories are one story told from 4 points of view. Well written, and believable, the author left me wanting to know what would happen to the characters.
Dave
Apr 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Quick introduction to Peter Clines' Zombie apocalypse. Very interesting spin, I'm going to add Exheros to my Want to read section!
Paula
Sep 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-books-read
I want to know what happens? How does it end? 4 really entertaining short stories about the end of the world.
Matt
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Clines is a real enigma for me. He writes books like 14 and The Fold which I really enjoy, but then he has this whole Ex-Heroes series which I find is a good premise but ultimately extremely mediocre. Unfortunately The Junkie Quatrain falls into the latter category. Four (extremely) short post-apocalyptic stories that are lightly connected to each other and even repeat some of the same events from a different point of view. Short stories are not the ideal format for world building or character d ...more
Bjorn
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Meh. It was okay and kinda fun, but I hated the way the women were described. You know that meme about male writers writing women that basically makes fun of the way male writers focus on their female characters' breasts, butts, etc. and how they're all secretly reluctant lesbians, or at least the heterosexual male fantasy version of lesbians? Yeah, this was chock full of that kind of thing. which, if that's your jam, more power to you, I guess. It's just not my cup of tea.
Mihir
May 26, 2012 rated it really liked it

Full Review originally at Fantasy Book Critic

ANALYSIS: There’s an interesting back story to The Junkie Quatrain by Peter Clines. Permuted Press had recently concluded a deal with Audible and invited Peter to write a few short which were to be included as bonus content. Peter agreed and set out to write four loosely connected stories that would resonate with the reader (or listener in this case). The stories can be read in the order they appear or as he suggests in the introduction, to read the
Jen Pierce
Oct 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audible
I thought this 'quatrain' was a unique and interesting way to approach a story - particularly a zombie apocalypse type tale.
Charmaigne
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another book read by my fast becoming favourite author.
Albino Castro
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent connected short stores

Good stories with action, some closure and some leads left unfollowed. Can't wait for more from this author. Maybe a follow-up novella?
Jeannie
May 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Interesting series of short stories. Kind of the same but not really like the Ex series. I'd recommend if you like Clines' other writing.
Dionysi Krinas
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another great zombie book, 4 separate short stories that combine into one!
JM Wilkerson
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Boom...this was a gut punch after reading the others...
J.R.
Jul 19, 2012 rated it really liked it

The Junkie Quatrain is a collection of four stories that intersect but can be read in any order. Think of ‘Pay it Forward’ meets ‘Pulp Fiction’ then add in zombies, the end of the world and how survivors react to it and you might be able to get a hint of what this is all about.

To give you an idea what you’re in for, the ‘junkies’ in this book are people afflicted and infected with a contagion that in the early stages, removes inhibitions but in the later stages makes extremely violent. And that’
Patrick D'Orazio
Feb 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The Junkie Quatrain consists of four short stories that are intermingled much like Quentin Tarantino did when he crafted Pulp Fiction, and even Resevoir Dogs. Each story has characters that pop up in the other stories, and reading all four brings them all together nicely. Of course, it is important to note that you can read them in any order, and in fact, while they naturally appear in a certain order in the ebook format, the author encourages you to roll the dice when you decide which story to ...more
Rubi
Feb 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Zombie. 4 povesti diferite ce sunt unite accidental.
Lectura scurta si buna.
Kristoffer
Jan 26, 2016 rated it liked it
I am giving this book 3 and one half stars. This book has four slightly interwoven tales of survival in a wasteland of zombie-like people referred to as junkies.

Unlike what you generally hear about with zombies, junkies take about 1 to 2 weeks to turn and go through a series of symptoms over time. I really liked this take on the zombie sort of genre. I won't reveal the symptoms of turning, in case that would be considered spoilers for anyone, but I will say that the symptoms make the spread of t
Justin
Nov 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
While we eagerly await the sequel to Ex-Heroes and Ex-Patriots (Ex-Heroes Book 2), author Peter Clines has given us something a bit different to sink our teeth into. The Junkie Quatrain is a collection of four interconnected short stories that look at a specific series of events from four very different perspectives. The stories are set six months after the initial outbreak of a new pandemic, one that just about anyone who has read a single zombie book will find very familiar. That's where the " ...more
Rosa Campanile
Oct 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: libri-2015
Tre stelle e mezzo!
La mia recensione completa sul blog Briciole di Parole --->http://bricioleparole.blogspot.it/201...

Prima di due delle letture che ho scelto di fare per questo Halloween ormai alle porte, The Junkie Quatrain è una raccolta di racconti horror scritti da Peter Clines, da tempo già presente nella mia wish list per il suo romanzo 14. Ero quindi molto curiosa e assaggiare il suo stile attraverso questi racconti mi è sembrato un buon modo per approcciarmi all'autore. Se ci aggiung
  • Dead Tropics
  • The Plan (Roads Less Traveled, #1)
  • Area 187: Almost Hell
  • The Tilian Virus (The Pandemic Sequence #1)
  • Kings of the Dead
  • Awakening (The Hunt Chronicles #1)
  • Dead Stop
  • The End Has Come and Gone (Zombie Fallout, #4)
  • Hissers
  • We're Alive: A Story of Survival, the Second Season
  • I Zombie I (I Zombie, #1)
  • Flesh Eaters (Dead World, #3)
  • THEM (Season 1, Episode 1)
  • Origin to Exile (Day by Day Armageddon, #1-2 Omnibus)
  • Eat Slay Love (Living With the Dead, #3)
  • The Gathering Dead (The Gathering Dead, #1)
  • Survivors (Morningstar Strain #3)
  • Rise
Peter Clines is the author of the genre-blending -14- and the Ex-Heroes series.

He grew up in the Stephen King fallout zone of Maine and--inspired by comic books, Star Wars, and Saturday morning cartoons--started writing at the age of eight with his first epic novel, Lizard Men From The Center of The Earth(unreleased).

He made his first writing sale at age seventeen to a local newspaper, and a
More about Peter Clines...

Fiction Deals

• A House for Happy Mothers
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
  • The Lace Makers of Glenmara
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Quaker Café (Quaker Café #1)
  • The Whiskey Rebels
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Honest Spy
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • We Are All Made of Stars
  • Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons
  • Mercer Girls
    $4.99 $1.99
  • While the World Is Still Asleep (The Century Trilogy Book 1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Very Valentine
    $10.99 $2.99
  • The Cellar
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Clouds (Glenbrooke, #5)
  • Ireland