Start by marking “At Knit's End: Meditations for Women Who Knit Too Much” as Want to Read:
At Knit's End: Meditations for Women Who Knit Too Much

At Knit's End: Meditations for Women Who Knit Too Much

The tangled life of the knitter is the subject of inspired nuttiness in 300 tongue-in-cheek meditations from the Yarn Harlot, Stephanie Pearl-McPhee. At Knit’s End captures the wickedly funny musings of someone who doesn’t believe it’s possible to knit too much and who willingly sacrifices sleep, family, work, and sanity in order to keep doing it. Covering everything from ...more
Published March 15th 2005 by Storey Publishing, LLC

To ask other readers questions about At Knit's End, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about At Knit's End

Apr 20, 2012 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: knitting fanatics with severe ADD
Shelves: knitting
Why have I not reviewed this book here? PROBABLY I WAS TOO BUSY WADING THROUGH ALL THE YARN IN MY HOUSE, HAHAHAHA.

Look, I like the Yarn Harlot's cohesive books, though they are kind of a guilty pleasure for me because I don't really relate to them, and thus my consumption of her lifestyle feels more like a voyeuristic semi-mocking. I do knit and produce items, but I'm simply not this type of knitter. However, I still appreciate that she's a little bit crazy about yarn--there are things in my lif
Crystal Starr Light
Feb 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, humor
Bullet Review:

The things you find during Amazon's Christmas sales...

This was one of those $1.99 books that Amazon was practically giving during the most recent holiday season. Being a big knitter/crocheter (I don't judge!), I thought, why not?

This is a fun, little booklet with a quote, followed by a brief anecdote, closing with a "lessons learned" tiddly bit. They are pretty light-hearted, goofy, showing the love of knitting and the foibles of having a crazy hobby.

That said, I'm glad I paid only
Jesse Bray
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic read! I couldn't put it down! As a new knitter and a lover of pithy sayings this book was a treat to my inner knitter and nerdy soul.
Teri-K
It may be important to note that I checked the audio out on OverDrive at a time when life was quite stressful, every evening found me too exhausted to knit or do anything else, and I'd just discovered my new glasses were wrong and that's why my eyes were watering heavily in the evenings. (So sorry, Mrs. K., we'll be happy to replace them. It will just take 10-14 days.)

So I collapsed into bed every night longing to knit or read or something, but I just couldn't. One night I decided to try for an
Mel
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was recommended to me by Lalla Ward as she thought that as another knitter I'd be very amused by it. She was right! It was fantastic! There were perhaps a little too many references to ones children, and the writer had clearly been an obsessive knitter many years longer than me, but it had SO much truth in it. And it was so very funny! I marked down all my favourite passages so I could share them with my friends who knit. I will be buying them copies and passing them out so they can find th ...more
Mary
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I listened to this as an audiobook and it was great for the car. Trying to get my knitting mojo back!
Kerry
Jan 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A collection of short, little snippets about knitting and knitters, At Knit’s End was my first introduction to the Harlot and was enough to get me completely and totally hooked on her writing! I love Stephanie’s humor, wit and insight into the joys and perils of being a knitter. I totally melted when she reported that her husband is knitting her a sock (notice that it is a singular sock, not a pair) which he has been working on veeeeeery slowly for five years and how much she will love and appre ...more
Lauren
Aug 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: knitters, those who wish to knit, people without enough obsessions in their lives
This is the book that got me re-obsessed with knitting. I picked it up in a bookstore in Jasper on a whim (I am amused by puns, so the title attracted my attention) while on a ski trip. I read the majority of it during the day-long drive home. Mrs. McPhee has such a way with writing (a clear, but humourous style, in a truely Canadian fashion) that made me really excited about the topic. I'd learned to knit way back when, from my grandmother, and I thought, "hey, I don't know what this "interstas ...more
Marcia
Remember years ago when in a Family Circle or Woman's Day magazine you would read that Isabel Homemaker would be receiving $10 for sending in her household hint and that when you read the hint, you recognized it as something you did all the time? Well, this book reminded me of that. At Knit's End has lots of thoughts and tidbits about knitting and yarn--all of which knitters have probably thought at one time or another. Difference is, Pearl-McPhee wrote them down and published a book.

And just i
Bunny
Oct 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a knitter. Self taught, in 2007, while working at a job that had an insane amount of downtime. I love it. I find it relaxing, and love the sound of clicking needles.

I am a bad knitter. I'm a chickenshit knitter. I hate hate hate double pointed needles, knitting in the round, charts, and many other things that I don't understand and am terribly afraid of.

Stephanie Pearl-McPhee makes me want to knit. She makes me want to make socks, and shawls, and sweaters. She just makes me want needles i
Ana
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, 2016
You know, I wasn't sure if I'd like a book like this. It's a bunch of quotes, mostly from famous people, related to knitting. I found the book in the religious books section at a library book sale and just had to have it - it was a good choice! Stories range from the hilarious to the profound, from personal anecdotes to general observations on yarn and life, and as a capital-K Knitter I see myself in just about all of them. Great addition to my shelf, and I can see myself picking it up over and ...more
Jessie
Apr 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I just love Stephanie Pearl-McPhee. She is witty, intelligent and she knits! What's not to love? Her insights into the mind of a knitter are spot-on. She even comments on her own knitting eccentricities and obsessions in the most funny ways. I will probably read this little gem over and over to remind myself that as one who is a bit knitting-obsessed, I am not alone and I am somewhat normal (as knitters go.) I highly recommend this book to all knitters, but especially those who are a little craz ...more
Leeann
Nov 10, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: knitting fanatics
Shelves: read-in-2007
This was such a cute little book. My dear friend Lindsay gave it to me last year, when my knitting obsession was just in its infancy and the title didn't quite apply to me yet. I picked it up a week or so ago when I ran out of yarn for my current project & got a little twitchy, and it did not disappoint. Stephanie Pearl-McPhee is hilarious & the quick little sections are perfect for reading when, say, your hands need a brief rest or your current project is driving you up the wall. Defini ...more
Purpleholic
Jul 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I laughed myself silly while reading this book. Especially everytime I read something that described me. I would read some parts aloud to my daughter just so we could laugh together.

Some things were informative, they made me think 'Wow! Why didn't I think of that?' or 'Just what I need to try.' but mostly the stories were just enjoyable. I frequenetly was amazed because of how much I agreed or was just like her comments.
Nicole
Dec 03, 2011 rated it liked it
It's somewhat superficial. I think it was her first book, and I've read later ones that I thought were better, but the problem is that the more of her books I read, the more sameness they have about them. When you get that kind of review from someone who has a long-standing habit of reading every book she can find on a given subject, who is currently into her dozenth or so book about the Tudors, you know you've become pretty tedious.
Karen
Jul 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crafts, light-reading
I listened to Stephanie read her own book and fell in love with her and her work all over again. I normally won't listen to an author read their own work... usually is a huge FAIL. This was not.
I loved her Canadian accent. I could "hear" her eyes twinkle when she talked about her projects.
I loved the quotes she used at the beginning of each "chapter" and put a number of them "up" on my Facebook page.
Thank you Stephanie. This was Totally a GOOD Read!
Amy
Apr 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Some really funny bits that resonated with me perfectly with a few pages that had me grinning and laughing... but several of the jokes seemed to be told more than once in this book, the "omg I love yarn" was done to death, and I also have to say that I'm perplexed by her digs at crocheters.
Nicole Marble
Nov 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Charming and entertaining. Even if you don't knit.
Abisdorf
Cute book. There are things that knitter's just get and this book is one of them. Probably her best book so far.
Christine
Aug 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
Funny, and kinda sick when two people gift this to you in the same year.
Adrian Brown
This was cute, I guess. I knit, though not near as much as the author, but enough that I related to many of the antidotes and struggles of too much yarn, cats that lay on your knitting piece, friends that don't get it, a partner that likes socks, etc. The only reason I'm giving it 3 stars instead of 2.5, is that there are some pretty good quotes that start each "meditation" (more like antidotal knitting mishap generally interpreted for a larger life lesson). The quotes, however, are mostly from ...more
Andrea
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I laughed out loud several times reading this book, and though I might say I laugh out loud when reading, what I usually mean is that I laughed really loud inside my head. I actually did laugh out loud while reading his book, I just couldn't hold it in! I also read out loud whole sections to my husband, who shared at least a small amount of my amusement, and he doesn't even knit. Although I am not a knitter in the same way as Stephanie (I'm actually a crocheter who is just learning to knit), the ...more
Alaine
Dec 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining enough, but I thought the quotes at the beginning of sections were excessive. I usually skip past quotes when I'm reading but I couldn't do that when they were being read aloud. They annoyed me. Not gonna lie. It felt like the book was half quotes. I liked the original content. Worth a listen if you knit. It's only about three hours long. That was the decreasing/end of one hat and about an inch of ribbing at the start of another.
Kai
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art, self-care
Hilarious and relatable - and just as applicable to crocheting as knitting. Except of course that one line about "crochet being wrong." That one made me want to track the author down and introduce her to all the things crochet can do that knitting can't. But alas, my hooks and yarn are calling my name instead.
Pam
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I like McPhee's books. My sister bought 3 of her books one for each of the 3 sisters in our family that knit. We are to read the book, put our own notes and ideas in the book then pass it to the next sister. Finally you will get your own book back with all the fun notes in it. What a great idea for knitters who love each other.
Ali
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So much fun!

I’ve always enjoyed Stephanie’s classes, so it was fun to find that her engaging personality shines through in this book too. So many times I laughed aloud. Almost every single item in here was something I could relate to. I’ll be picking up the rest of her books for sure.
Leslie
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I actually restarted to book (audio version) so my husband could listen along and start understanding some of my knitting mania. Stephanie made me laugh out loud many times and realize that I'm not alone in my crafting craze. =)
Ann Sosnowski
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
A lot of repeat from her previous books. This was an interesting setup of popular quotes followed by how they apply to knitting. It was cute but didn't have the magic and allure of her other books of essays.
Jule
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Loved listening to this book while knitting a lace cowl - perfect for a winters day. I have another of the author's books and will look for more. It was also fun as I live near Toronto so could relate to the neighbourhoods mentioned.

NancyHelen
Feb 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Some really sweet and witty observations about knitting and most other forms of craft. I definitely related to it. Probably best to dip into and out of this book rather than listen to it all at once but it was still enjoyable.
  • Sock Innovation: Knitting Techniques and Patterns for One-Of-A-Kind Socks
  • Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knitter's Almanac
  • Sensational Knitted Socks
  • Mason-Dixon Knitting: The Curious Knitters' Guide: Stories, Patterns, Advice, Opinions, Questions, Answers, Jokes, and Pictures
  • The Knitter's Book of Yarn: The Ultimate Guide to Choosing, Using, and Enjoying Yarn
  • New Pathways for Sock Knitters: Book One
  • Favorite Socks: 25 Timeless Designs from Interweave
  • Victorian Lace Today
  • It Itches: A Stash of Knitting Cartoons
  • Scarf Style
  • The Knitting Experience Book 1: The Knit Stitch, Inspiration & Instruction
  • A Second Treasury of Knitting Patterns
  • Knitting on the Edge: Ribs * Ruffles * Lace * Fringes * Floral * Points  Picots - The Essential Collection of 350 Decorative Borders
  • Folk Shawls
Stephanie Pearl-McPhee (better known as the Yarn Harlot) is a prolific knitter, writer and blogger known for her humorous but always insightful anecdotes and stories about knitting triumphs and tragedies.
“ It is a peculiarity of knitters that they chronically underestimate the amount of time it takes to knit something. Birthday on Saturday? No problem. Socks are small. Never mind that the average sock knit out of sock-weight yarn contains about 17,000 stitches. Never mind that you need two of them. (That's 34,000 stitches, for anybody keeping track.)
Socks are only physically small. By stitch count, they are immense.”
76 likes
“Sometimes, people come up to me when I am knitting and they say things like, "Oh, I wish I could knit, but I'm just not the kind of person who can sit and waste time like that." How can knitting be wasting time? First, I never just knit; I knit and think, knit and listen, knit and watch. Second, you aren't wasting time if you get a useful or beautiful object at the end of it.

I will remember that not everyone understands. I will resist the urge to ask others what they do when they watch TV.
74 likes