Start by marking “The Appeal” as Want to Read:
The Appeal

The Appeal

3.59  ·  Rating details ·  46,914 ratings  ·  4,048 reviews
John Grisham is now an institution -- a writer whose bestselling status is assured, So assured, in fact, that expectations for each new book are as high as can be imagined. Does The Appeal make the grade? And will it appeal to Grisham admirers -- or disappoint them?

The stakes in the novel's plot are high: corporate crime on the largest scale. The duo of lawyers at the

Published January 29th 2008 by Doubleday Books

To ask other readers questions about The Appeal, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Erin It was disappointing in the Grisham world, but in the real world, this is probably very accurate.
Mark Is your copy a paperback or a hardcover? My paperback copy has 486 pages. I imagine there have been many printings in different formats, different…moreIs your copy a paperback or a hardcover? My paperback copy has 486 pages. I imagine there have been many printings in different formats, different size fonts, different layouts, different page sizes, different translations that affect the number of pages. (less)

·  46,914 ratings  ·  4,048 reviews

Start your review of The Appeal
babyhippoface
Jan 28, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: people who are on the edge and just need one teensy push to go completely over?
This book has made me angrier than any I've read in years.

Okay, first off --what is with the absolutely horrid neon orange color of the jacket back? Who picked this? Must have been colorblind. Each time I reached for this book my eyes felt violated.

*SPOILER ALERT* If you haven't read it yet, stop reading now...

Second, well, let's just say it: the ending was even more offensive than the neon orange jacket back. The book was well-written, compelling (and yes, possibly completely undeserving of
Suzanne
2 generous stars. I am so quick to admit being late to the party, and also to being so dumb at times. This was one of them! I was alerted to the fact that Mr Grisham could be the male version of Danielle Steel. Now this isn’t necessarily a bad thing, as I honestly do love a good DS at the right time, I do. This did connect the dots for me in a way.

I wonder if John Grisham left the legal profession because he saw too much rorting – dubious Judges too respecting of their own pockets and big
Karl Marberger
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: legal-political
This book was a strong dose of reality with an important point to make. I know that some readers thought it was far too agenda-driven, but I found it to be absorbing and having a lasting impression. I was particularly fascinated to witness the machinery of a heavily coordinated corporate-funded campaign.
Jessica Sue
May 21, 2013 rated it did not like it
I'd like to appeal the ending to this shitty book.
Jason Miller
Mar 15, 2008 rated it did not like it
John Grisham's books have been getting steadily worse, ever since the Painted House (another lame book). What happened to the excellent author that produced such books as The Client, The Pelican Brief, The Street Lawyer, and Runaway Jury? I think he's out to lunch. I keep reading his new books, hoping he'll come back, but so far, no luck.
This is his worst in a long line of bad books. Stay away from this one, as well as his other latest, The Innocent Man. They are boring, long, and a chore to get
Perry
Aug 18, 2012 rated it it was ok
By the end of this novel, I hoped someone would come by and pour salt on my wounds. Seriously. At least then I would feel something.

After I found out I passed the bar exam over twenty years ago--{{with slithering colours}}-- my wife actually gave me this t-shirt as a gift.

I never wore it, of course. I found it a couple of weeks back and gave it to my son to do something with it for Halloween up at his university. Be an extra-creepy lawyer I guess.
Rob
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For once this is not a courtroom thriller, there are courtrooms but not many.
This book is more about the pursuit of power, greed and corruption. The greed and corruption of the judiciary. The greed and corruption of politicians. And at the top of the heap, the greed and corruption of big business. Underpinning all this greed and corruption lies the most potent aphrodisiac known to mankind MONEY.
In the immortal words of MR. Gekko "greed is good". No matter how much you have you always need more.
Johnny
Mar 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller
The Appeal wouldn't make a successful film. At times, it appears to accede to the Hollywood formula, but then, it retreats to Grisham's forte'--realism. Oh, I know Grisham's work isn't as gritty as the descriptions of the world of meat-packing in Upton Sinclair's The Jungle, the vivid characterizations of a couple fighting in F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Beautiful and the Damned, or the depiction of blatant sexism in Sinclair Lewis' The Job (or even in Ann Vickers, his thinly veiled roman a clef ...more
Yanwen
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the fourth Grisham book that I have read lately, The Litigators, The Whistler, Rogue Lawyer, and The Appeal. So far, I like all of his books. They are shockingly realistic. Corruptions within American legal system used to be my blind spot prior to this reading experience. Not anymore, thanks to Grisham's novels. I like this book and recommend it to all who want to learn about American politics and legal system.
Michelle
Oct 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-fiction, legal
Alright...well, I admit that I read a few one and two star reviews before posting mine because I wanted to read what the nay-sayers had to say about the book. I was pretty sure I knew what they wouldn't like, and I was pretty sure I would disagree. I was right. I understand others' chagrin with Grisham's choice of ending, but I thought it was refreshing. It's about time someone bucked the system and didn't give us a patented ending, all tied up with a pretty bow.

So here is the deal. Mississippi
Melissa
Mar 24, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: legal-crime
Alicia
Jan 31, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: liberal politicians with a distinct agenda
As I began reading this book, I was very worried that it sounded too familiar. It reminded me of "Law & Order" episodes that are "ripped from the headlines." Whenever I hear that, I think, come on, can't you guys think of anything new? Saying that, the storyline of Grisham's latest began in that similar sort of way. I was pretty convinced that it was going to be boring.

I was very pleasantly surprised that only after a few chapters, I started to find it pretty interesting. While the trial
Ty
Apr 18, 2009 added it
don't read this piece of shit. what the hell grisham?, you're usually so solid.
Jan 18, 2011 rated it liked it
The Appeal is a book every American should read. It essentially explains how wealthy companies can literally buy judges - as in, have one taken out and a new one installed - in order to make decisions in their favor and protect them from having to pay damages to the people they maim with their practices.

It also goes over the importance to the average citizen of being able to sue for malpractice or damages from defective or unsafe products.

It was so dead-on that when i bought the hardcover (used)
Rick
Apr 12, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: trial lawyers seeking confirmation of their world-view
Daniel (Attack of the Books!) Burton
I read this in April of 2008 after Justice Nehring (of the Utah Supreme Court) told me he was listening to it on CD during his commute each day. Three quarters of my way through it, he told me it was not worth finishing. He was right.

Talk about much ado about nothing. The novel starts strong, provides an interesting conflict, and than (spoiler alert) completely drops the ball. Not that the bad guy has to lose and the good guy has to win every time, but the characters are skewed and distorted so
Natalie Vellacott
Jan 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, john-grisham
Another Grisham page turner, at least it was until the middle section when it got a bit wordy and I thought I was losing interest. The book picked up again for the final section, though, and the ending was totally unpredictable!

People are dying in Bowmore. In fact, the situation has become so serious that it's been given the grotesque nickname, Cancer County. The rates are fifteen times the national average. The residents reckon it's in the water and that Krane chemical company, an industry
Daniel Bastian
Sep 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
A candid look into the seedy underbelly of campaign finance in the U.S. It's no secret that in this country, money and politics walk hand in hand, with Big Business barons leveraging their own interests against those of the people and, at times, basic procedural justice. It is this systemic prioritization of corporate well-being over human well-being on which Grisham wishes to shine a light.

He chooses his own home state—Mississippi—for the setting. Mississippi is one of the few states which
Benjamin Thomas
Feb 23, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller-legal
I've been thinking I wanted to read a good court-room drama for a while now and I remembered that John Grisham had written a few pretty good ones...so I gave this one a shot. Unfortunately there was very little of that here but still, an interesting plot was starting to develop and even though there didn't seem to be any central main character in this novel, the various points of view on the plot by the host of minor characters was working for a while.

But then...WHAM! I honestly can’t think of
Mona
Oct 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
It didn't take me long to finish this book. As usual, I like John Grisham's style of writing; crisp, fast-flowing and gripping. I also get to know a lot of new words that I have never heard of before. I get to know a lot of jargon from the law world.

I gave it 4 stars because of what John is trying to reveal in this book. He certainly lifts the lid on corporate obscene greed and insatiable appetite for moving up the 'Forbes' list, even if that meant treading over the misery of others. It delves
Gary
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent...tells you everything wrong in politics today...because as long as Private donations are allowed to go toward campaigns and bribes paid to those elected to vote the way a Corporate company wants them to vote, corruption will be rampant,and our democracy will not be a true democracy anymore.

The right wing mentality will continue to destroy the principles of the United States Constitution,and take away our true freedoms.......quite the book...if you can handle the truth.
Mike
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was one of John Grisham's more solid novels.The man can't write characters,his prose is servicable at best,plotting is rather clumsy,and yet there is not a single boring page in this novel.Guilty pleasure it is,but still a plesaure.
Emily
Jul 15, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one, or maybe people who are idiots
Recommended to Emily by: my mom
Johnny Story
Nov 29, 2008 rated it did not like it
Annette
Feb 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
Harder to persevere with this one where his other books are smoother. Could not gel with the characters. Although at times I was looking forward to the outcome, I was not as riveted as I could have been. Ending was terrible. Makes me think I have wasted time on this book when I could have been reading something else.
Ana
Grisham is one of the first authors I ever remember reading when I was a kid, when I was absolutely enthralled and fascinated by his stories. I haven't read a book of his in a long time, but I was delighted to see that I still like him just as much. He is a good writer and his stories, focalized through the legal lens that he dons for all of them (seeing as he was a lawyer) are very well paced, clearly written and highly enjoyable. For those who want a solid legal thriller, this book here would ...more
Dele Haynes
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Appeal By John Grisham (Fiction) I chose this book for the narrator, actor Michael Beck. Beck narrates Grisham's books that take place in Mississippi.I love listening him, he gets extra flavor to Grisham's books. However, when I got into the book, I felt as if I'd made a bad choice with today's current political climate.

In a small Mississippi town, a jury returned a shocking verdict against a chemical company accused of dumping toxic waste into the county water supply causing the worst
Shevawn
Feb 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
I admit, I like a lot of Grisham's novels; I especially like them when spending long hours on an airplane, as I did recently. I found this book to be very disturbing; it has definitely affected the way I will view future election campaigns for judges. I also liked how his Christian characters were reflective of the current Christian culture, even though they bothered me at times because of that. The ending surprised me, as it took some surprising turns the last 60 or so pages.
Janice Richardson
Aug 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed-rated
My favourite of all John Grisham's books - the quest for social justice, the plot and characters came alive.
Hind H.
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Okay, I’m finally done with this book, and boy it was infuriating!
I really like John Grisham’s writing style, but this book was disappointing, story-wise.
I mean, what the hell was that end? You would think Fisk would feel for those people after what happened to his son, but no, he remains an asshole.

Two stars: one because I enjoy legal fiction and its language and the other because, well, it’s John Grisham.
What's the Name o...: SOLVED. A liability lawyer who gets companies off for faulty products then experiences his son being badly injured by a faulty baseball bat. [s] 5 56 Dec 02, 2019 04:40PM
Goodreads Librari...: Correction 1 8 Sep 16, 2018 01:44PM
Goodreads Librari...: Incorrect merged versions 3 21 Jan 08, 2016 12:29PM
1994? 1 7 Jan 02, 2016 07:53AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: The Appeal 1 6 Jun 01, 2013 02:57PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: This topic has been closed to new comments. The Appeal 1 4 Mar 28, 2012 10:42AM
Just started this one 7 125 Feb 29, 2012 04:19PM

• The Firm
  • The Takeover
  • The Luzern Photograph
  • Redemption (Amos Decker, #5)
  • The Fallen (Amos Decker, #4)
  • Wake of the Perdido Star
  • The Little Shepherd of Kingdom Come
  • Confidence (HBR Emotional Intelligence Series)
  • Long Road to Mercy (Atlee Pine, #1)
  • The Joy of Mathematics: Discovering Mathematics All Around You
  • More Good Questions: Great Ways to Differentiate Secondary Mathematics Instruction
  • Kentucky Shakers-Pa
  • Good Questions: Great Ways to Differentiate Mathematics Instruction
  • Outstanding Formative Assessment: Culture and Practice
  • The Shaker Cookbook
  • Coils
  • Lingering Shadows
  • Eat Smart, Walk Strong: The Secrets to Effortless Weight Loss
"Long before his name became synonymous with the modern legal thriller, he was working 60-70 hours a week at a small Southaven, Mississippi law practice, squeezing in time before going to the office and during courtroom recesses to work on his hobby—writing his first novel.

Born on February 8, 1955 in Jonesboro, Arkansas, to a construction worker and a homemaker, John Grisham as a child dreamed of
“How could homosexuals possibly srew up the sanctity of marriage any worse than heterosexuals?” 64 likes
“The mother of a trophy wife is not automatically a trophy mother-in-law.” 24 likes