Start by marking “Darkness All Around” as Want to Read:

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

Darkness All Around

3.2  ·  Rating details ·  101 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
When there’s DARKNESS ALL AROUND . . . some memories are best forgotten

Within the span of one harrowing week, Risa’s alcoholic husband, Sean, disappears, and her best friend, Carol, is brutally murdered. Eleven years later, Risa has seemingly put her life back together again, comforted by the love of her new husband, who is a local politician, and the knowledge that Carol
Published October 18th 2011 by Touchstone (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Darkness All Around, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Darkness All Around

Audra (Unabridged Chick)
For a moment, I despaired ever really getting into this novel: the book opens with two brief chapters that were sort of vague, kind of flash back-y, and I felt my interest drifting before I could even figure out the story's hook. Then, thankfully, Magee zeroed in on his heroine and for me, the book got interesting.

While there's not a lot that's new in this book, what is offered is solid: the mystery is dark and twisted, the characters compellingly messed up, the tension creepy, and the setting c
Liz
Apr 25, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
This was a quick, fun read. A good story with a surprise twist ending i honestly did not see coming!

There was some awkward phrasing throughout and the female lead character was not very deep or well-developed so it was hard to root for her even though her situation was awful. She just sort of filled in a role. The politician husband was appropriately sleezy and well-written. Overall I enjoyed this book. I received it for free from Goodreads First Reads.
Mary Ann
If you can make it thru the first few chapters, the story is worth reading. Interesting story line which helped me finish the book. However I feel I must note that in my opinion the use of a particular four-letter word was overdone, and was distracting. This was my 1st free book from Goodreads & I appreciate the opportunity to read & review it.
Anne
Jan 04, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Blech....a poor poor poor man's version of Harlan Coben (who is far from being a genius writer!) I just wanted to find out who done it, and in the end the cliched characters and stinky red herrings just made me sad I wasted time on this book.
Kerri
Jan 14, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I just really could not get into this book very quickly. I tried and it had all the components to make a fascinating mystery, but it just never grabbed me like I wanted to be grabbed. I stuck it out and I liked the ending, but usually this type of book is one in which the pages fly by for me because I HAVE to know the solution. So it wasn't what I was looking for this time around.
Tori
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was good. I would have liked more of an explanation of why for the murder. Or maybe a peek into what happened that night...
Heather
Jun 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From grade school through high school, classmates Sean, Risa, and Alan are best friends who do everything together. But aspirations beyond college separate the threesome, and Sean and Risa pair off on their own. Soon Risa becomes pregnant, and Sean and Risa move back to their small hometown in Pennsylvania right after college graduation to await the birth of their son Kevin. When Sean’s widowed father does the unthinkable–committing suicide and leaving everything he owns to the couple to give th ...more
Kathy Martin
Jun 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The blurb calls this part murder mystery and part love story and that is true. It is also a frightening and complex story about memory and lies. The story begins with a murder. Carol Slezak is brutally killed by being strangled and hacked with a machete. G.G. Trask, a mentally handicapped co-worker at The Ding Dong, is railroaded into a confession. At the same time Risa's alcoholic husband Sean disappears leaving her with their young child.

Eleven years pass...Risa is now married to Alan, a loca
Andrea Guy
Darkness All Around is a different kind of mystery. It certainly wasn't what I was expecting, but the read was definitely a pleasant surprise. What was different in this story is the relationship aspect. Most of the books in this genre that I've read seldom focus on the people involved. This isn't the case here, and that really almost takes away the whodunit from the story, especially as the whodunit is a case that's been closed for years.

I was drawn to the story because it is set in Pennsylvani
  • Faerie Cake Dead (Luna Devere, #1)
  • A Murderous Glaze (Clay and Crime, #1)
  • Jennifer Johnson Is Sick of Being Married: A Novel
  • Targets of Opportunity (Jordan Sandor, #2)
  • The Seduction of Miriam Cross (A Delilah Percy Powers Mystery, #1)
  • Never Say Pie (A Pie Shop Mystery #2)
  • The Girls on Rose Hill
  • The Three Lost Kids & The Death of the Sugar Fairy
  • The Gemini Virus
  • The Original 1982
  • Why China Will Never Rule the World: Travels in the Two Chinas
  • Dead as a Scone (Royal Tunbridge Wells Mystery #1)
  • Anything
  • Shining in Crimson (Empire of Blood, #1)
I'm a writer, photographer, and filmmaker living in New York's East Harlem. I am the author of the novels Never Wave Goodbye and Darkness All Around (both Touchstone/Simon and Schuster). My new novel, President Blog, will be out as an ebook on January 24th, 2016
More about Doug Magee...