Start by marking “The Wrath of Fate: Book 1 of The Airship Pirate Chronicles” as Want to Read:
The Wrath of Fate: Book 1 of The Airship Pirate Chronicles

The Wrath of Fate: Book 1 of The Airship Pirate Chronicles

(The Airship Pirate Chronicles #1)

There will come a time...

when the freedom is considered too dangerous . Cities are walled, and citizens are chained to round the clock jobs in order to keep them controlled and in the place. Change and progress is outlawed.

There will come a time...

when clockworks wake up, only to find they are not allowed to be awake. They hide in fear, not daring to break there chains of
Published 2011

To ask other readers questions about The Wrath of Fate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wrath of Fate

David
Mar 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
"Captain" Robert Brown is the lead singer and songwriter of the band Abney Park. I discovered the band about two years ago and fell in love with their steampunk-themed lyrics and their great sound. In The Wrath of Fate, Brown weaves those songs into a fictional, autobiographical narrative. As the novel opens, Brown and the rest of the band are flying to a concert when their plane crashes into the side of the time-traveling airship Ophelia. The airship's inventor names Brown captain. With the won ...more
Josh
Mar 14, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned
Let me preface this by saying that I love the whole Steampunk genre; starting with the literary masters from the late 17th to the early 20th centuries who wrote sci-fi and fantasy, weird-fiction tales of horror and the strange, real Victorian mysteries because they were actually written in the late 1800s, all the way to the current favourites who take so much inspiration from those old classics.

"Captain" Robert Brown has, it could be argued, done the most to bring the niche awesomeness of the "C
S.E. Berrow
I love Abney Park. Their music is atmospheric, exciting, different, and truly succeeds in transporting me to another world and time; jungles, gentrified archaeology, stricken airships, pirate ships, the swinging 30s, a filthy Victorian street... There is no doubt about it. "Captain" Robert Brown is a true talent and a fantastic songwriter with an eye for intelligent aesthetic.

Unfortunately -- and it really pains me to say this -- he is not a very good writer.

I have read books by my favourite mus
Rayven
Feb 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Abney Park was my first exposure to the genre of Steampunk, their music captivated and inspired my imagination and has become ingrained into my inner soundtrack as I move throughout my days. So when I heard that Captain Robert had written a book I could hardly contain my excitement.

“The Wrath of Fates” is a fantastic time travel Steampunk adventure that blends history and science fiction in a very unique way. The story follows Captain Robert Brown and his wife Kristina as they find themselves ab
Arachne8x
May 17, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: e-book, steampunk
I started reading this book because I'm an Abney Park fan, and I was hoping that a book linking their songs would be awesome. I finished reading it because I feel I owe it to my fellow fans, and the rest of the reading world, to give a true review to this book. I am writing this with no spoilers.

It took me a while to realize what it was about the book that wasn't working. It's easy to list off the things that it doesn't do, or does badly, but at the end the one fatal flaw of this book is that it
Victoria
Feb 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Dawn
Oct 05, 2012 rated it liked it
First let me state that I'm a big fan of Abney Park and a major steampunk. But I did try to not let my fandom color how I read this novel. I enjoyed the book for the most part, more for finding out the stories surrounding the songs than for the writing itself. Though Captain Robert is great at weaving a tale with his lyrics, his writing style doesn't flow quite as well. (And, to be honest, he needed a couple more pairs of eyes on the text to catch typos and other editorial errors.) But the fault ...more
Matthew
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Listened to the audio book version. I truly enjoyed it!
Sara McClure
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
It reads as if it is somewhere between a memoir and a sci-fi novel.
Cherryonion
Apr 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
This is the first book written by Captain Robert Brown, the lead singer of my favourite Steampunk band Abney Park. Now, just because you can write good songs and lyrics, doesn't mean you will necessarily be a good author, but luckily this book is fun, interesting and full of adventure. It describes how Robert and his band first became Airship Pirates after bumping into a time-travelling airship called the Ophelia. Strange happenings occur and suddenly Robert is Captain Robert and he and his crew ...more
Geordon VanTassle
If you're a fan of Abney Park's music, this novel takes the tale told there and fleshes it out rather nicely. I really enjoyed it, particularly how the author tied lyrics of his songs directly into the story he's telling here.

"The Wrath of Fate" reads much like a biographical account of Robert's experiences as he starts off in the modern age, encounters a time-traveling airship, and sets out to right the wrongs of history. Unfortunatly for Robert and his crew, things don't go as smoothly as they
Britt Marczak
May 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: steampunk
This book reads much like an ARC of an author's first book. I really wish an editor had looked through this book before printing. There are typos and grammatical errors galore.

Beyond that, however, is a novel that, conceptually, is fascinating and interesting. The first person POV makes the Captain sound a little egotistical and self-centered sometimes, but from his actions, I think that's spot on.

The writing isn't strong, the characters aren't as fleshed out as I wanted them to be, but the pro
Hebah
Mar 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013-reads
Agree with other reviewers--love me some Abney Park, love steampunk, I even fully enjoyed the roleplaying game Airship Pirates set in the postapocalyptic future. However, I did not enjoy this book. It was in dire need of editing--full-on, red-pen editing, and not just for typos.

For a slender little volume, it contains a hectic, breakneck pace of adventure upon adventure with such speed that it does not allow for things like, well, character development or even much world development, which is mo
Libby
Oct 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Interesting diversion. A sort of "Quantum Leap" meets Jules Verne tale. There are a lot of technical errors with the writing - shifting verb tense, inconsistent viewpoint, and an egregious use of the word "then" that when I came across it almost made me put the book down right then, but the story was intriguing enough that I decided it was better to overlook a small mistake than to abandon the book mid-flight.
"The Wrath of Fate" reminds me of books I read when I was a kid: imaginative adventure
Caitlin
Feb 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
A friend of mine once made a comment to the effect of, "I feel like, with steampunk, you can pretty much take anything that anyone thinks is cool and mix it all together." I think this novel embodies that statement, with a healthy dose of swashbuckle. It is a delightful mixture of genres, a semi-fictional autobiography (or an autobiographical fiction? would that be more like a dream?), which weaves a highly entertaining backstory to Abney Park's lyrics. This tale comes chalk full of steam, scien ...more
Sharon
A bit of steampunk fun but perhaps mostly a book for fans of Abney Park. Robert Brown is a wonderful song writer, this short novel is an extension of his creativity, but while being entertaining enough it is not as rewarding as listening to the music of Abney Park, which I absolutely love. The book offers some insight into Brown himself and the dynamics of the band so definitely a book for fans. I do love the world building that surrounds the band and the narrative rich music but this novel is p ...more
Αταλάντη Ευριπίδου
I'm a huge Abney Park fan and have wanted to read this for some time now, thinking it would add to the band's background. And it did. However, it definitely had its faults. For starters, the dialogue was weak and the character development a bit flat, especially during the first part of the story (Book I). The second part was much improved and the plot picked up and got me engaged. Unfortunately, the kindle edition of the book had lots of typos and mistakes which was disappointing. Overall, it wa ...more
Paul Kater
Mar 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
Let me begin by saying that I am a huge fan of Abney Park and their music. The idea that Robert had written a book about the band and how this would weave through the song texts of the latest albums was very appealing.

The idea of the book is very nice, I liked how it started. I did not manage to end it, however. After about 1/3 of the book, the number of errors in writing and in some of the historical facts were bad enough to make me stop. The manuscript could do with a spell-checker and a perso
Alisa Kester
Jan 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I was going to savor this, but it got too good. I couldn't stop reading! Everything about Wrath of Fate is awesome - the worldbuilding, the weaving of Abney Park's songs into the story, the humor and psychology. Favorite part? How the Captain managed to put so much of his real self into this fictional world; his childhood was both fascinating and horrifying, and explains so much about the type of man he became. Absolutely a must-read for any Abney Park fan, and a great read for everyone else.
Heather
"Captain" Robert Brown, lead singer and songwriter of the band Abney Park, has written a wondrous novel based on his songs. As a lover of his music, I love how the scenes in this book go hand-in-hand with his lyrics, to the point where I find myself singing the songs as I read. I love the time travel, automatons, family and friends included in this steampunk romp through history. The Captain needs to beware his actions, as every action made in the past can greatly affect the future!
Ryan King
Jan 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
I'm a big fan of Abney Park's music. After reading the book, their music has an added richness as now you have a story to go with the lyrics. If you're a fan of Abney Park, this is a must read. I'll admit, the first few chapters will have you scratching your head because it seems like two different stories are being told but they quickly mesh together for adventure galore. I'm looking forward to the next book.
Robby
Jul 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
So, very plain and obvious first book for the author. If you love steampunk, airship pirates and especially the band Abney Park then you will love this.

Even if you don't however, it is an easy read that is very fun. You hitch a lift on a time machine and go back in time preventing atrocities and saving people! Good fun!
K.C. Shaw
Sep 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Pure pulp adventure, with all the good and bad that implies. It's not polished but that's part of the charm. It's about a guy with a boring job and disappointed dreams who suddenly finds himself captain of an airship that can travel through time. If you're expecting high art from this, you're doing it wrong. It's a lot of fun, and surprisingly warm-hearted.
Jessica
Mar 16, 2012 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Fans of Abney Park
There were aspects I greatly enjoyed, and I liked the story itself, but the writing needed more polish, more details, more character development. I didn't find myself caring much about anyone, except maybe the Captain himself. Even Kristina didn't seem to figure much into the story. As a fan of Abney Park I found it an interesting read, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone not a fan of the band.
Shannon
Apr 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this time traveling steampunk type book. It's a good adventure yarn that also has something to say. The inclusion of some song lyrics was nice touch, and really added to my enjoyment of the story.
Nov 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is one of Lavender's favorite books. She has read it close to 200 times. I had to see why she keeps rereading it. The book is based on Abney Park's songs and I found myself singing for hours after reading each section. Now I understand...
Carol
Jan 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
Exciting, could barely put the book down; I didn't want to leave the world Captain Robert created behind and go back to the real world. Easy and enjoyable, good for relaxing and a for those seeking an adventure.
Beth Dolgner
Feb 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Abney Park fans will feel right at home in this well-imagined world. Read my full review here: World Building and the Wrath of Fate
Cassandra Florence
Feb 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
I absolutely loved this book! Once I started, it was very hard to put it down. My only issue was that it wasn't long enough, but it was a great quick read. I hope a continuation is on its way'
Shanno-louisa Beardsmore
Nov 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
love abney park so much and it explains there background story and there musics so good
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Scranimals
  • Charlie Small 1:  Gorilla City
  • In the Land of the Lawn Weenies and Other Warped and Creepy Tales (Weenies series, #1)
  • Frank Einstein and the BrainTurbo (Frank Einstein series #3)
  • Bigfoot Cinderrrrrella
  • The Change
  • Unnatural History (Pax Britannia, #1)
  • Worldshaker (Worldshaker, #1)
  • Clarkesworld Magazine, Issue 71 (Clarkesworld Magazine, #71)
  • Opium Wars
  • Naya Nuki: Shoshone Girl Who Ran
  • Wings of Renewal: A Solarpunk Dragon Anthology
  • Steampunk World
  • Space Captain Smith (Chronicles of Isambard Smith, #1)
  • Lord Kelvin's Machine (Narbondo, #3)
  • 32 Third Graders and One Class Bunny: Life Lessons from Teaching
  • The Steel Tsar (Oswald Bastable, #3)
  • The Other Log of Phileas Fogg
= 'Captain' Robert Brown
Robert H. Brown

The Airship Pirate Chronicles (3 books)
  • Retrograde: Book 2 of The Airship Pirate Chronicles