Start by marking “Chicken Soup for the College Soul: Inspiring and Humorous Stories About College” as Want to Read:
Chicken Soup for the College Soul: Inspiring and Humorous Stories About College

Chicken Soup for the College Soul: Inspiring and Humorous Stories About College

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  1,086 Ratings  ·  64 Reviews
Rare book
Published September 1st 1999 by HCI (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Chicken Soup for the College Soul, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chicken Soup for the College Soul

Ellie
Jan 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: z-2016, owned
As with all books that are collections of short stories, essays, and musings, there are a few exceptional pieces that stand out from the crowd.

Stories recognized for best work and personal favorites:
1. 819 Gaffield Place by Michele Bender
2. Hani by Jamie Winship
3. Making the Grade by Varda One

I originally was going to post my top five favorite stories, but I couldn't find two more that resonated with me just as much as these three did. 819 Gaffield Place now has a permanent place in my heart bec
Sierra
May 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Many of the stories in this chicken soup book really fell flat for me. In other editions (mostly the teenage ones) there's usually some that I personally do not enjoy, but I felt like this book had a lot more ones I just didn't like.
That being said, I really enjoyed some of the stories! I will be starting college within the next two years or so and it was nice to be able to hear what other people have to say about their experiences. A few stories were especially relatable, uplifting, and or movi
Leah Sidell
Apr 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Chicken Soup for the College Soul is a collection of short stories by different authors that are all inspirational and humerus in their own way. Author Dan Clark shares his story called "Never Too Old to Live Your Dream". It's about him meeting a remarkable woman that convinced many people that they are never to old to go back to school and to follow their dream. In this story their is a woman named Rose, who is 87 years old that is in a college chemistry class. In Dan's opinion, the woman is to ...more
Brittany
Jun 26, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Freshmen college students or grade 12 students anticipating college
How I Came To Read This Book: I believe I bought it for my sister as a high school grad gift.

The Plot: Another collection of heartwarming tales – this time related to all things college: from the perspective of parent, student, teacher, and more.

The Good & The Bad: I have a weird interest in some of the trappings of stereotypical American lifestyle, mostly because I find them kind of bizarre. One of them is the tradition of leaving your family and friends and uprooting yourself to a tiny c
Nov 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Another great edition of the College Soup for the Soul Series. I really enjoyed this book. Some of the stories made me cry, some made me laugh, and some made me really think about the important things in life during our college years. I definitely recommend this book for anyone who is in college or is soon to be entering college.
Julia
Jun 06, 2009 rated it liked it
When I was a teen, I used to read these cover to cover. Now I use them more as random stories for when I have short amounts of time.

I liked this, especially as I was graduating. It was a great book for college and would be a good gift for someone graduating high school
Jaylee
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Like all Chicken Soups, it was amazing. There are so many different stories, so many different truths, some funny, some sad, some heart-warming. If you are on your way to college, in college, or just out of college, this is a book for you!!
Mar 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Some good stories. I especially like Dave Berry's wit.
Xandria Collins
I guess I just got bored with it
Melissa
Apr 17, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Once, a long long time ago, I went to college. And now I'm thinking about going back. So it seemed fitting that I read this book. Having somehow collected an unbelievable amount of Chicken Soup for the Soul books, I'm pretty convinced there is one for every subject, and this one just happens to be for the "College Soul". Although I'm not sure what college these people went to, because their experiences sure weren't like mine.

The Chicken Soup for the Soul series deals in inspiring, heartwarming,
Evan Yofiyanto
Dec 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
Kumpulan kisah2 unik tentang masa2 transisi menuju dunia kampus, perkuliahan, maupun kelulusan.
Salah 1 yang paling kusuka dan sampai saat ini kuingat adalah kisah Rachel & ayahnya.

Diceritakan bahwa Rachel punya impian untuk kuliah, tetapi jalan satu2nya agar bisa mewujudkannya adalah dengan beasiswa. Ya beasiswa, di keluarganya belum ada yang mampu kuliah. Sepertinya, aku benar2 bisa merasakan kisah ini dalam hidupku sendiri. Hehe...

Rachel suka sekali bermain basket dan ini adalah satu2nya h
Trevor Wells
Mar 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: etc
Having graduated high school a few months ago, this college edition of Chicken Soup For The Soul was just what I needed. And like many other installments in the Chicken Soup series, there were many heartwarming and memorable stories in this book. A few that stick out are My Star, Work For Your Supper, Emma's Ducks, The Mirror, I Dare You!, A Not-So-Random Act Of Kindness, and Christy's Last Day. In general, the whole book had a feel-good vibe to it that, given all that's been happening in the wo ...more
Libby
Jul 27, 2011 added it
I enjoyed reading this book and I know that a lot of college students will like reading the stories as much as I did. I have only read one other Chicken Soup for the Soul book and I would have to say that the college book is my favorite. Because, I am still going to college and I can relate to a few of the college expierences that these kids went through. I would like to recommend this book to any college student that is going to college for the first time or to a boy or girl that's already in c ...more
Jadai Mcgee
Chicken Soup for the College Soul is a recommended read for all college students. This book contained so many short stories that I could relate to. The authors craft for this book would be structure. This book was broken different sections each section with short stories on that topic about college. I liked this because I was able to go to whatever type of college story I wanted to read about just by picking a college category. For example, some of the sections are Love 101, lessons from the cla ...more
Leah
May 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love all of the Chicken Soup for the Soul Books that I've read. I actually began this one at the beginning of my sophomore year of college and put it down for quite some time. As I began my 2nd year of my masters program, I decided to finish reading it before I was no longer a college student. Of course, I became busy and just took the time to finish the last few entries two nights after I graduated with my masters degree. This book provides so much inspiration and serves as a reminder of how ...more
Samantha
Aug 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’ve always loved the Chicken Soup books, and this one is no exception. I love the variety of the stories, and I love the jokes that are thrown in. If one story doesn’t affect you at all, another one will.

I will say I wish I had read this book a little bit earlier, as I just barely graduated college. Many of the stories in the book didn’t seem like a big deal to me, when they might have back when I was first applying for colleges or during my first year there. But I still enjoyed all of the glim
Kristin
Oct 19, 2010 rated it it was ok
I've read a lot of Chicken Soup books, but this is the only one I've read retrospectively, as I'm 5 years removed from college. I'm sure it's a great motivator for incoming college students, but it didn't really reflect my college experience. Instead of presenting the good, the bad, and the ugly, the book focused on the good and only the bad and ugly when a positive spin could be put on them to make them good too.
Too idealistic and 'all is wonderful' for me. I'm not saying I had a bad college ex
Tiffany
Jan 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
I had the opportunity to get this book for a highly discounted price for my Kindle, and I couldn't resist. Like all the 'Chicken Soup' series books, it's a mix of material, that varies widely in quality. Some of it is sad, some is inspiring, and some you want to reread again and again. On the reverse, a few of the included stories are rather dumb. But, overall, it's a great book that covers a variety of college scenarios, and will help give you the courage needed to face the frightening new adve ...more
Tanya
Dec 04, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I usually like the Chicken Soup books but,I had a hard time getting into this one. I made myself finish it simply because I don't like to not finish a book I've started.

This book is different from the other Chicken Soup books because most of the stories are written by various writers instead of being submitted by people like they usually are. None of the stories really stood out at all and the last chapter was various commencement speeches. Maybe it's because the book came out 16 years ago, but
Rei
Mar 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
I'm in my third year now and I read this in my freshman year. This is the first inspirational book I've read and it really helped me adjust in college.

The stories were well chosen that it helps the reader understand how college life works. It helped me realize that its not all about projects, deadlines, studying, quizzes, assignments, and exams, that it can be fun and enjoyable too.

It especially helped me loosen up the tension and pressures I'm experiencing during my first year.

All in all, I ca
Robyn
Jun 16, 2012 rated it liked it
I'm honestly not much of a Chicken Soup Books fan. Some stories were ok, but some made me cry at a time when I was already crying enough. But the authors did a great job putting it together, so I'll give them credit for that.

It was given to me as a Christmas gift when I was a freshman in college, from a guy who I was in an "on-&-off" dating relationship w/ the previous summer, since I had given him my "Chicken Soup For The Teenage Soul".
Femmy
May 23, 2007 rated it it was ok
This is the fifth Chicken Soup book that I translated. As you might imagine, by that time my stomach cannot endure too many more of these saccharine feel-good stories. Don't get me wrong--I loved the first CS book I translated; it even helped me through some tough times. But by the time I get to the fifth... In addition, I couldn't relate to many of the stories, as I've never experienced college the way that it is portrayed in the book.
Windy A. Alicia
Karena saya sedang menjalani hidup sebagai mahasiswa, membaca buku ini rasanya menarik sekali, layaknya menemukan kembaran sendiri. Seperti biasa, chicken soup menyajikan banyak kisah menarik yg selalu memiliki pesan moral. Buku ini juga membuka wawasan saya mengenai persepsi orang luar tentang pendidikan tinggi. Mereka memiliki kesadaran diri yg cukup tinggi jd wajar kalau negara mereka lebih maju dibanding negera ini. Recommend untuk mahasiswa/i.
Valarie Lopez
Oct 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is fill with different stories with people in college. I like that is not just one stories. It has different emotions, some of the stories make you laugh, happy, sad, mad or others. I don't have favorite parts because it has so many great parts so it is hard to choose from. I also like the sketches in the book. It is good book to read for my opinion.
Dec 06, 2009 rated it liked it
A week before my freshman year at University, I read this book, which was given as a graduation gift. It was inspiring and got me hyped for college. It wasn't until after my first semester that I realized most of the short stories were nothing like my personal experiences. Any Chicken Soup is good for some down time in the dorm room.
Jul 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
A nice collection of humorous or inspiring stories that cover the various aspects of college life, from getting in to college to graduation, including learning to cope with difficult times, making new friends, classroom experiences, and attitude.
Marvin
Oct 31, 2012 rated it it was ok
Definitely does not match up to the kids' version. The failing of this installment is that it's hard to tell which stories are true and which are fiction. Great for naive college entrants but just treacly for anyone else.
Heather
May 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
graduation gift from friend Shaula when i left for a real college and she stayed at the community college to pretend she had some type of athletic career. maybe she should have read this book instead of me
Carrie Krewson
Jul 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
I found the plethora of short stories in this book to be very helpful, wise, and sometimes even humorous. I would recommend this book to anyone who is heading off to college. It was a quick read and very enjoyable.
Courtney Hlebo
Jun 19, 2009 rated it it was ok
It was a good graduation gift; but whatever company publishes this stuff seriously needs a better editor, 10+ typos, and one story had NOTHING to do with college. Some of the stories were good though.
  • On Relationships: A Book for Teenagers
  • The Complex Infrastructure Known as the Female Mind: According to Relient K
  • Chocolate for a Woman's Soul: 77 Stories to Feed Your Spirit and Warm Your Heart
  • Answering the Guy Questions: The Set-Apart Girl’s Guide to Relating to the Opposite Sex
  • World WarI: The Rest of the Story & How It Affects You Today
  • The Naked Roommate: And 107 Other Issues You Might Run Into in College
  • Georgia O'Keeffe, 1887-1986: Flowers in the Desert
  • Hadiah Terindah (Chicken Soup for the Soul Graphic Novel, #1)
  • What You Must Think of Me: A Firsthand Account of One Teenager's Experience with Social Anxiety Disorder
  • Faith and Feminism: A Holy Alliance
  • Sources of Chinese Tradition, Vol 1: From Earliest Times to 1600
  • Even Eagles Need a Push: Learning to Soar in a Changing World
  • The Open Empire: A History of China Through 1600
  • Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary with Access Code
  • Early Medieval Europe, 300-1000, Second Edition (History of Europe (St. Martins))
  • How Good People Make Tough Choices
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff for Teens: Simple Ways to Keep Your Cool in Stressful Times
  • Student Development in College: Theory, Research, and Practice

Canfield received a BA in Chi
“He's teaching her arithmetic,
He said it was his mission,
He kissed her once and said,
"Now that's addition."
And as he added smack by smack
In silent satisfaction,
She sweetly gave the kisses back and said,
"Now that's subtraction."

Then he kissed her, she kissed him,
Without an explanation,
And both together smiled and said,
"That's multiplication."
Then Dad appeared upon the scene and
Made a quick decision.
He kicked that kid three blocks away And said, "That's long division!”
8 likes