Start by marking “Chicken Soup for the Teacher's Soul: Stories to Open the Hearts and Rekindle the Spirits of Educators (Chicken Soup for the Soul (Paperback Health Communications))” as Want to Read:

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  512 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews

Most people recall a teacher or two who had a significant impact on their future. In fact, outside the family unit, teachers have more influence on our lives than anyone else. Good teachers help students believe in themselves with a glimpse of what they might become. They go the extra mile to make learning fun and meaningful, and they inspire students to dream and broaden

Published July 1st 2002 by Health Communications (first published April 11th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Chicken Soup for the Teacher's Soul, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chicken Soup for the Teacher's Soul

Michele
Feb 25, 2011 rated it liked it
I wish there were less religious stories because I'm not into the whole "God" thing but I guess there weren't too too many. There were still plenty of moving stories. Some stories were also a bit outdated... how old is this book? I also wish there were less elementary-age oriented stories. It seemed like a lot of those were the same story over and over.
Dana
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Some great stories about and from the teaching profession. Great way to start the 2017-2018 school year!
Dini
Jan 19, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I bought the Indonesian translation of this book when I was still teaching. I've only read like half of it before losing it in a house fire. A few months later I quit teaching. Nothing causative between the two incidents, though. Chicken Soup, as always, was heartfelt and inspiring.
Sandy Haramut
Aug 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love these Chicken Soup books but this one was special. My sister taught 7th graders for 39 years and I loved all the stories she told me. Now my daughter in law has been teaching 5th graders for two years and I am looking forward to her stories. Kids are so special, and so are their teachers.
Erica
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
There were a few cute stories that I appreciated in this anthology; however, I felt that many of the stories were outdated. Not quite the inspiration I was looking for as a new school year approaches.
Samra
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
i just dont care. i like teacher stories but this leans too religious for me.
Terri Lynn
My husband recently bought this for me for only a dollar in mint condition in a used bookstore because of my longtime work educating children (including homeschooling my own). He has a knack for finding things I like (he knows me well!)

I loved this warm, friendly book full of sweet stories from teachers, parents, and people writing about teachers who made an impact on them. It has a plethora of viewpoints and experiences but above all, you can feel the love and how children changed the hearts a
Kacey
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Heartwarming stories for anyone who wants to be a teacher.
Angie Orr
Oct 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-lit-2011-12
Chicken Soup for the Teacher's Soul. Canfield, Jack.

Rating: ****

Summary: The book is a collection of inspirational short stories on how a teacher can make a difference in a student's life. The stories are all true and very motivating. When a student drains your hopes and you think there is nothing left for you to do but give up, read a story to pick your spirits back up. The stories show that it can be done. Lessons can be learned from another’s experience. The short stories are encouraging and
Martha
Jun 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Heartwarming stories for the Educator. These stories reiterate the importance of teachers- not only of how they reach out to their students, but what they learn from them. Reaching out to a child in need brightened not only the student, but the heart of the teacher. I laughed and cried through many of the stories...but above all it reminded me and has inspired me that as a teacher there is a lot I can do...and in turn learn from those that I teach!
Sue J
Jul 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This particular Chicken Soup book was outstanding. Perhaps the reason for that is because of my 39 years of teaching. I shed many tears. The book was a reaffirmation of those years. I have the greatest love and respect for the path that I chose. Though I have no children of my own, I am proud to say I have thousands of "my kids" that I will always remember!
Joanna Cabot
Jan 06, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
This was an okay read. Some of the stories were very good; others were trite and average. As usual for this sort of collection :) I found this a good sort of book to read on the bus, because the stories were short and did not require much concentration. I would not sit down and read this for an hour straight, but it's good for reading during quick little sessions.
Melissa Marie
Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely love this book! I've tried multiple CSFTS books before, but this one is the only one I've been able to read cover to cover...twice! Maybe it's that I'm a teacher and can relate to it, or maybe it's the wonderful stories, but whatever it is, I plan to read it again and again.
Lyn-Holly Dau
Jun 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Just realized that I had this and had never read it.... The shame! Like all of the chicken soup books this one is full of wonderfully motivating stories. It reminds me that we don't give our teachers enough credit or support. An excellent quick read.
Tiwik
Feb 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Betapa mulia orang-orang yang memilih profesi ini...baca buku ini sering bikin saya berkaca-kaca ataupun tersenyum kecil tapi lebih dari itu jadi punya motivasi untuk menjadi guru terbaik baik anak-anakku kelak...
Ryan
Feb 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book should be read by all first year teachers, especially those who are struggling to adapt. It is a great source of inspiration. Although I liked the message, I feel that This book could have been cut in half. All the stories started sounding the same after 300 pages. I recommend it.
Ashley
This was a wonderful collection of stories! Books like these are reminders of why one teaches. Yes the pay is low but to compensate that we receive an endless amount of rewards we learn something everyday. Can you say that about your profession?
Alainee Calo
Jun 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Some stories were better than others. The collection could have been shorter; many stories starting sounding the same after a while. However, it made me miss being in the classroom, and I often thought of some of my prior students while reading.
Marianne
Mar 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Cute stories. It was an easy to read book for our road trip. A few inspiring tales to take to heart.
Martha
Aug 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Inspiring!
Heather
Apr 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
Many of these stories reminded me of why I became a teacher. I've read other Chicken Soup books, but this one is my favorite thus far.
Brian Burriston
Jun 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I liked it very much.
Yunita
Jan 14, 2010 rated it liked it
touching...like usually..it's good at the spare time between the busy days
Ashley
Oct 21, 2008 marked it as to-read
This might just be a fun personal reading choice.
Sandra
Apr 20, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: own-one
The mediocre teacher tells.
The good teacher explains.
The superior teacher demonstrates.
The great teacher inspires.
-William Arthur Ward
Rikza Hakin
Feb 10, 2015 rated it liked it
great book!! it give me lesson a lot..
Kanomi Okina
Jan 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chicken-soup
I love this book. It reminds me just how important a teacher is for a student.
Connie Adams
Jun 29, 2009 rated it it was ok
This book is supposed to get me motivated to teach in the fall. It's doing a fairly decent job, although I wish it featured more teachers in a secondary setting.
Rebecca
Jun 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009, teaching
Such a great feel good book. I love the Chicken Soup books anyway, and this one made me think of all the great teachers I had in the past.
Eukaryote
Jul 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: education
Good, but there was a focus on elementary school. Not much new to secondary teachers.
  • See Me After Class: Advice for Teachers by Teachers
  • What Great Teachers Do Differently: Fourteen Things That Matter Most
  • Never Work Harder Than Your Students & Other Principles of Great Teaching
  • Teaching with Intention: Defining Beliefs, Aligning Practice, Taking Action, K-5
  • Teaching Outside the Box: How to Grab Your Students by Their Brains
  • My First Year as a Teacher
  • The First Six Weeks of School
  • The Passionate Teacher: A Practical Guide
  • The First Days Of School: How To Be An Effective Teacher
  • Teach with Your Heart: Lessons I Learned from the Freedom Writers
  • Strategies That Work: Teaching Comprehension to Enhance Understanding
  • The Essential 55: An Award-Winning Educator's Rules for Discovering the Successful Student in Every Child
  • Teach With Your Strengths: How Great Teachers Inspire Their Students
  • Mini-Lessons for Literature Circles
  • Teaching with Love and Logic: Taking Control of the Classroom
  • I Am a Pencil: A Teacher, His Kids, and Their World of Stories
  • Holler If You Hear Me: The Education of a Teacher and His Students
  • The Daily Five

Canfield received a BA in Chi
More about Jack Canfield...
“Booker T. Washington, Buddha, John Dewey, Leo Buscaglia, Moses and Jesus.” 1 likes
“Blessed is the influence of one true, loving human soul on another. George Eliot” 1 likes