Start by marking “Kangaroo for Christmas” as Want to Read:
Kangaroo for Christmas

Kangaroo for Christmas

The day before Christmas, Kathryn's present from Uncle Dingo arrives in a big box. Naturally, it's a lively kangaroo. Kathryn can't wait to show grandma, so she hops onto Adelaide's back and off they go!

But getting to Grandma's proves more difficult than expected. Honking horns and screeching breaks frighten Adelaide into taking off on her own. In good Flora fashion, chaos
Published September 20th 2011 by Enchanted Lion Books (first published 1962)

To ask other readers questions about Kangaroo for Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kangaroo for Christmas

Start your review of Kangaroo for Christmas
Amy
Jan 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Oh how beautifully vintage this book is....in every way!! That's why when I started reading this, I made sure I looked at the copyright. Certainly this book was published in the 50s...it has such a "No Roses for Harry" feel. But I was so surprised with the 2011 copyright! I hadn't bothered to read the fine print "From the estate of James Flora." Kangaroo for Christmas is just simply fun!
Karen
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ellie, jacob, mom
Jacob thought this book was funny...krb 11/28/17
Inma Swan
Dec 16, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Catalina es una niña que recibe un regalo sorpresa de su tío, que vive en Australia. Cual es su mayor sorpresa cuando descubre que su regalo tiene pelo y pega saltos agigantados. Es una canguro a la que le pone como nombre Adelaida. No lo duda ni un segundo, abriga a su nueva amiga Adelaida, monta en su lomo y ambas parten para dar un paseo. Lo que no sabe ninguna de las dos es que tanto ruido, tanta gente y tanto coche asustará a la canguro, lo que provocará que no deje de saltar por toda la ci ...more
Relyn
Nov 13, 2012 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Relyn by: spotted at the library
Shelves: lawsonland
The adorable cover was misleading. This book was not a hit.

Lesson Connections
One of the Christmas gifts I give my students each year is an extra read aloud every day from the weeks after Thanksgiving till Christmas break. I gather lots of Christmas story books and read one a day. It makes us all happy and the season more celebratory.
Margie
Nov 01, 2015 rated it liked it
A kangaroo makes a rather unusual gift for Christmas but that's just the present this little girl gets. Kangaroos aren't used to living around cars, trucks, etc which creates some chaos. Author James Flora sure had a vivid imagination with the illustrations to show it.
Heidi-Marie
I could tell from the cover that this was on book published decades ago, and I was excited to read our new copy of it. Silly and fun to look at the pictures. Not really a point to the story that I could see. Just a poor kangaroo's fright and flight (or hop) through a city, with a happy ending.
Emjy
Dec 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Un ravissant album jeunesse américain datant de 1962. Les illustrations sont délicieusement vintage et l'histoire pleine de rebondissements (avec une femelle kangourou comme héroïne, on ne se demande pas pourquoi ;))
Hope L. Justice
Adorable illustrations, not a fun book to read. If the illustrator hadn't done such a great job, I would say 1 star.
Miranda Rosbach
Dec 29, 2012
John
Nov 04, 2011
Nella
rated it did not like it
Dec 09, 2012
Marta
Jan 03, 2016
Trey Veazey
Dec 26, 2016

• Can You Do This, Old Badger?
  • New York, Line by Line: From Broadway to the Battery
  • Jill
  • Dog Dogs
  • Le Bébé
  • Memoirs of Montparnasse
  • Sister of The Road: The Autobiography of Boxcar Bertha - as told to Dr. Ben Reitman
  • Medaliony
  • War, So Much War
  • All the King's Horses (Semiotext(e) / Native Agents)
  • Escape from "Special"
James (Jim) Flora is best-known for his wild jazz and classical album covers for Columbia Records (late 1940s) and RCA Victor (1950s). He authored and illustrated 17 popular children’s books and flourished for decades as a busy magazine illustrator. Few realize, however, that Flora was also a prolific fine artist with a devilish sense of humor and a flair for juxtaposing playfulness, absurdity and ...more

News & Interviews