Start by marking “Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul: Stories of Feline Affection, Mystery and Charm” as Want to Read:

Cats first purred their way into human hearts thousands of years ago, and have been our treasured companions and soul mates ever since. Whether impish kittens, regal adult cats or serene seniors, it's impossible for us to remain indifferent to them--especially at 4 A.M. when the food bowl runs dry! So smile at their many "c'attitudes," and feed your feline passion by "purr ...more
Published September 27th 2005 by Chicken Soup for the Soul

To ask other readers questions about Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul

Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteWatership Down by Richard  AdamsBlack Beauty by Anna SewellAnimal Farm by George OrwellWhere the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls
Best Books About Animals
1,291 books — 1,584 voters
Dewey by Vicki MyronThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussOld Possum's Book of Practical Cats by T.S. EliotAlice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis CarrollA Street Cat Named Bob by James Bowen
Great Cat Books
1,431 books — 817 voters

More lists with this book...

Kirsti
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So this year my reading goal is going to be a little different; yes I want to read new releases and new books that come my way, but I'm also going to try and take a few of the books that have been sitting the longest on my to-read and finally complete them! This book was number two on that list!

I always love a Chicken Soup book, but this one simply never appeared in physical form for me. When I made my decision, I decided to download it on my Kindle just so I could finally read it. It has all th
Emily
Feb 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Hello everyone! I decided to help out and write this review for my mom. I’m Jupiter. I’m 10 years old. I am a very handsome orange tabby.

I suggest this book to every cat who has a slightly emotional mother. It will guarantee lots of petting. My mom always likes to pet me when she is sad, mad, upset, etc. She would read a story or two out of this book and then totally burst into tears, usually cuz some cat died. I feel bad for the cat who died, but it was the most glorious thing to hear my mom c
Melissa
Apr 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: animals, non-fiction
I'm a cat person. I currently have two of my own and could only wish for more. So, on this streak of Chicken Soup books that I've been reading lately, it only seemed appropriate to read the Cat Lover's Soul book.

Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul is filled with the normal short stories of the Chicken Soup series. They are broken down into different chapters titled, "On Love", "Celebrating the Bond", "A Furry RX", "Cat-Egorically Wonderful", "Cats as Teachers", "Farewell, My Love", "Rescue Me!
McGuffy Morris
Dec 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a special collection of true stories, all centered on our feline friends and their undeniable "purrsonality".

Divided into sections, the stories vary in age of cat and the lesson or moral of each story. There is definitely something for every cat lover in this wonderful book. Each account is heartfelt and will leave you feeling good.

I the section on Love, Oscar the Garbage Can Kitty, lived in a garbage can. Then he ends up moving into the hearts and home of some kind people. I connected w
Octavia22
Oct 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: october
I found the book interesting. It's filled with touching stories that remind me of my cat who's a rascal. I think most people would like this book (Unless they don't like cats.).If you’re a fast reader like I am I’d suggest this book for a cool down. It doesn’t leave you hanging so you can read a story eat lunch and read the next story. I've read a lot of cat stories but this book defiantly has some of my favorites. In one of the stories a group of soldiers were in their hide out when a cat came ...more
Kristin
Apr 30, 2013 rated it liked it
I've never been shy about pledging my allegiance to dogs over cats, but I did find these cat stories in short doses to be of my liking. Having never owned a cat, I only know what I do about their nature from books like this and the stories I've heard from my cat-loving friends. These stories did a great deal to educate me, and while I don't see myself adopting one anytime soon, they showed me that cats can be just as loving, friendly, and heroic as dogs, though they make show these things in com ...more
Cheryl
Apr 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Hard to give a solid review of a Chicken Soup book, because it contains so many different things. I laughed, I cried, I snuggled my kitty. I learned about amazing things that cats have done and ways that they have brought joy and love to people who know them. My mother gave me this book for Christmas because she knew I would like it and I did -- good job mom. Kitty was pretty sure I should be spending my time loving her, playing with her, and attending to her every wish and whim instead of readi ...more
Tania
Jun 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For Cat Lovers Soul!
Buku yang akan membuat anda menteskan airmata haru akan kesetian dan kasih sayang, tertawa bahagia bahkan terpingkal2 dengan perilaku kucing, bahkan tersenyum karena nasehat-nasehat yang diberikan.
Diceritakan dengan bahasa yang ringan, setiap pecinta kucing, bahkan semua orang akan mengerti bahwa hewan kecil ini juga bisa menunjukkan sikap setia seperti hewan lainnya.

You should have this book!!
Theodora R. R.
Feb 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was heart-warming, funny, and--at times--sad. It's full of stories about cats. Cats who have saved lives, cats who have made a difference in someone's life... there was even a cat who stayed with a troop of soldiers in Iraq until they returned to the United States (the story "Saving Private Hammer").

Any animal lover would enjoy this book. Trust me, if you like animals, you won't be disappointed with this book.
Maris Bennett
Apr 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A heartwarming read which you will enjoy if you are a feline fanatic. These essays run the gamut from sad to hilarious, and everything in between. Some will make you angry. Many will leave you crying and remembering your own long-passed cats.
I would suggest this as a gift for the cat lovers in your lives, and keep a copy for your own collection.
Veronica Noechel
May 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-books
This is cheating, a bit, because I wrote the piece, "Romeo and Juliet", a story of two ferals, included in this book. I hope readers enjoy this true story of an extraordinary act of feline bravery and loyalty. The latter is a word seldom used when describing cat, but I think that we underestimate our cats' fierce fidelity when desperate situations arise.

Thanks for reading!
Shannon Camarta
Jun 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great if you love cats :) I myself love cats and so naturally, I cried a lot while reading this book. Great real stories from real people! Made me just want to snuggle my kitty all day. This book really embraces the beauty of animals and I think a book like this deserves great recognition. Power to the animals!
Axel Corlobe
Feb 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book's main idea was cats have the same feelings as humans. When their owners are sad, they play around with them when they are happy they fill up with joy when their owners have fun with them. They are just like having another friend/family member that always want to have a good time all the time.
Erin Brady
Nov 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is an incredibly touching series of stories about the amazing exploits of the feline species. I identified so much with some of these stories, while others warmed my heart and made me look forward to the future years with my cats. I love the Chicken Soup For the Soul books!
Pamela S
Jun 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is such a pleasure and heartwarming one to read. Some stories are just too amazing to believe that it's a true story; just reading it could instantly lift my mood. After reading this, i think i'm ready to welcome another litter of kittens to my mansion!
SouthWestZippy
Jan 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great book for a cat lover. Some sad, some uplifting and some happy ending stories.
Krwpackfan
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Many great stories!! A must read for all cat lovers!!
Francy Mirabella
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved ALL the stories in this book and discovered that a lot of really talented writers choose to write about their feline friends! There are funny stories; sad stories; cute stories; every kind of feline inspired story you can imagine. I love the fact you can read a few stories (if you are crunched for time) put the book down, then go back to it whenever you want. Like I said, the quality of writing is excellent...this was my first experience with a "chicken soup" book and I was not disappoi ...more
Christy
Sep 24, 2017 rated it liked it
This was the first of the Chicken Aoup books that I've ever read. It was different than what I was expecting. I thought it would be a "warm fuzzy" of a book, but honestly , I found it very sad and stressful. The authors of the short stories clearly "get" cats, but I found most of them too sad to really be enjoyable. Not sure I'd read another one of these books.
☆A.J.☆
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you aren't a cat person, this book is garanteed to make one out of you with it's large assortment of short stories that are lovable in various ways. One of the interesting things about the book that the stories are thematically catergorized with each ending story from a closing chapter retaining qualities of both sandwiching themes, which I thought was a clever editorial move to say the least.
Melissa
Jun 17, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was one of the better "Chicken Soup For the Soul" books I've read. I typically don't like the tone of this series. This particular book, had me laughing, crying, and was just an all-around good read.
Hilary
Mar 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: informational
No cat lover will be able to resist reading (and sniffling) through this collection of true stories revolving about cats. Short stories and more compact volume than some other Chicken Soup volumes.
Emily
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Heart warming stories in it
Loren
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My favorite - cats! Fantastic stories that celebrate how cats touch our lives with laughter, love, acceptance, and understanding.
Michelle Tolliver
Mar 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Guess this was my pet book reading weekend. Started on this right after I finished A Dog's Purpose. I was in tears several times reading the heart-touching.. no heart-wringing short stories, inspirational and loving recounts of pet cats and how they are still remembered from their loving family. This was the first book I listened to more than read, thanks to Amazon's free trial of unlimited. Not sure if I'll take advantage of that very often, but I was able to 'read' while folding towels and mat ...more
Marjo
A lot of really cute stories, and a bunch that were too sad to listen to at work. I love cats.
Zoe Obstkuchen
Jun 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Like most cat lovers I enjoy stories about them, but books like this are best dipped into occasionally to avoid getting heartwarming story fatigue. But as the book was borrowed I had to read rather than dip, and I did get a little tired possibly due to the cultural differences - this book is very American, although I particularly liked a comment from a Russian immigrant who was baffled why Americans paid for kittens in a pet shop yet the pet shelters were overflowing with the same pets.
Audrey
May 27, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: gave-up-on-it
A friend loaned me this book. Seems to be a collection of the type of sappy, sentimental email stories that go around. I read two of these on the bus and started weeping. I'm not even going to finish this book, since I can't read it on the bus. *sigh*

I'm really itching to read "Heart of Darkness" by Joseph Conrad instead. I can't just say no when somebody lends me a book and tells me it's so great! Why can't I just say, "No thanks, I don't care to read that."?
Jennie
Mar 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any one that likes to read about odd animal experiances
Recommended to Jennie by: my mother got me reading the chicken soup for the teenage soul s
if you like cats read this book it tell interesting stories of cats and how they and their owners met. my favoret is the one about the dude who met his cat in iran. also another favoret is the one of the cat that became friends with the priest/booda. they are all amazing so read the book and see it for your self.
Andrew
Feb 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cats, animals

• The Nine Emotional Lives of Cats: A Journey into the Feline Heart
  • A Dickens of a Cat: And Other Stories of the Cats We Love
  • Kitty Cornered: How Frannie and Five Other Incorrigible Cats Seized Control of Our House and Made It Their Home
  • The Character of Cats: The Origins, Intelligence, Behavior, and Stratagems of Felis Silvestris Catus
  • My Cat Spit McGee
  • How to Live with a Neurotic Cat
  • Apartment 255
  • Casper the Commuting Cat: The True Story of the Cat who Rode the Bus and Stole our Hearts
  • Out of Harm's Way
  • The Cat Who Went to Paris
  • The Devious Book for Cats: A Parody
  • Teen Love, On Relationships: A Book For Teenagers
  • The Dog Who Rescues Cats: True Story of Ginny
  • Making Rounds with Oscar: The Extraordinary Gift of an Ordinary Cat
  • The Cat Who Cried for Help: Attitudes, Emotions, and the Psychology of Cats
  • Pounce
  • Dewey's Nine Lives: The Legacy of the Small-Town Library Cat Who Inspired Millions
  • James Herriot's Cat Stories