Start by marking “The Legend of Diamond Lil (J.J. Tully Mystery #2)” as Want to Read:
The Legend of Diamond Lil (J.J. Tully Mystery #2)

The Legend of Diamond Lil

(J.J. Tully Mystery #2)

The Legend of Diamond Lil, second book in the illustrated J.J. Tully mystery series, is perfect for elementary-school kids who love adventure and animals. New York Times bestselling author Doreen Cronin brings the same wonderful humor to the JJ. Tully whodunits that she did to her beloved picture book bestsellers like Diary of a Worm.

In this sequel to the chapter book The
Published February 28th 2012 by Balzer + Bray

To ask other readers questions about The Legend of Diamond Lil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Legend of Diamond Lil

Start your review of The Legend of Diamond Lil (J.J. Tully Mystery #2)
Nicholai Vidanes
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book deserves to be 5 star rating because it is fantastic. The words used in the book are unique. The book is remarkable because J.J. a retired search and rescue dog is assigned to guard chickens. When a possum shows up, he fears for their lives but trusts his instincts. When the beautiful Samoyed dog, Diamond Lil, offers to partner with him to help protect the chicks, it isn't clear if J.J. needs help or he just likes the good-looking dog. Since this book is a series, I will continue readi ...more
Sharon Conty
Aug 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
My clients will love it, but the first book is better.
Mike
Apr 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
J.J. Tully is back for another hard-boiled adventure maintaining law and order in the seedy world of the chicken coop. I enjoyed this book just as much as The Trouble With Chickens; the first book in the series had a somewhat better (if still light-weight) plot, and also had the advantage of taking me by surprise. This book had to live up to my higher expectations, but largely did, nailing the atmosphere just as well as, if not better than, the first book. I was concerned when I saw that Vince t ...more
Barb Middleton
Feb 24, 2014 rated it liked it
J.J. is a retired search and rescue dog who guards chickens. When a possum shows up, he fears for their lives but trusts his instincts. When the beautiful Samoyed dog, Diamond Lil, offers to partner with him to help protect the chicks, it isn't clear if J.J. needs help or just likes the good-looking dog. When things reach a climax, there's a twist to the mystery of the possum and Diamond Lil that the reader won't see coming. Don't peek! You read-the-last-page readers will spoil the surprise!

This
Tami
Fantastic! The second book in the J.J. Tully series by Doreen Cronin lives up to the promise of the first installment (THE TROUBLE WITH CHICKENS)and, in my opinion, goes beyond it! I read this one with my 8 and 9 year old as a bedtime story (like the first one) and we ALL loved it! The somewhat tongue-in-cheek film noir-ish tone of J.J. and the resident villain Vince the Funnel are a blast to read aloud, not to mention the hilariously funny & sweet additions of the 4 chicks and their mother, Moo ...more
Anastasia Tuckness
Good follow-up to The Trouble With Chickens! Mystery still abounds in J.J. Tully's world--why has the possum returned to the yard? who has moved in next door? and why is she (the new dog) sleeping under the house? All will be revealed, but only in due time, since Vince the funnel dog only gives out one piece of information for each dog biscuit!

This book will be enjoyed by newly independent readers who enjoy mysteries, animals, or funny/wry books.

It would also make a great read-aloud for a famil
Jessica
Jul 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
this was a cute and funny little mystery about a dog and an unlikely ally. throw in some chickens and you have a page turning adventure great for new 2 chapter book readers. there were a few spots I got a little confused by the writing but overall it was a good story.
Kellie
Jul 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
I didn't enjoy this one quite as much as the first one. It wasn't as funny, and there just weren't any surprises. There was also a spot or two where the storytelling seemed disjointed. If I was confused, I'd surely think a young reader would be as well.
Lindsay
Nov 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: preschool-read
Andrew liked it.; I thought it was lame - tries too hard to make noir-detective references.
Darla
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is so much to love about this second book in the J.J. Tully series. The illustrations give us strategic glimpses into the story. A new dog is added to the mix and she seems to have a mysterious secret. . . Vince gets to put his two cents in -- not without getting something for himself. The backyard is large in the scope of the story, though most certainly quite small in real life. The tone of the narrative is reminiscent (as with book 1) of a noir detective novel and will appeal to the adu ...more
Christina
J.J. Is a retired search and rescue dog who has taken it upon himself to keep the chicks, who are full of personality and attitude, and hen "Moosh", safe from harm. Life changes when a new dog, Lillian, shows up next door. In addition an opossum has been spotted, putting the chicks in danger. How has the opossum gotten around the fence leaving no scent? A worthy mystery for those leaving easy readers behind and moving to their first chapter books.
Katie
Would the tone of thus hard-boiled detective story be lost on the kids reading it? Unless they have a background with parents throwing around words like gumshoe on a regular basis, l think so. Still, a fun mystery, just maybe needs a bit of guidance.
Andrea Wright
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love this dog and the way he talks! The first book had the chicks in it more and this one focused a bit more on the mom chicken, which I enjoyed so much. Really hoping there will be more books in the series!
Kaylee Greer
Oct 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
It was an awesome book, I really enjoyed it. The suspense and the mystery in this book was good.
I would read this book if you like the following in books:
1. Dogs...
2. Chickens...
3. mystery... and...
4. A all together good book
Anne
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
This mystery may appeal to young readers. But take warning. At times this DRA 34 is confusing, and it is full of hard-boiled allusions that will go over most young readers' heads.
Julie
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cam (4th grade) says this was not as good as the first in the series, but almost. This one is a little more serious. It is a good book for people who like mysteries and surprise endings!
Daphne
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-to-aaron
My not-yet-reader loves the JJ Tully Mysteries and the Chicken Squad books. So funny.
Charlene Avery
Feb 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Fun book! Twists, fun plot, and unusual characters make this book hum along. Better than 1st book.
nyla rieman
May 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Soooo cute!

I'm 62 and absolutely love these books! I hope to share them with my friends! They are such fun books!
Claire Wang
Jul 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My favorite part was when Moosh heard a thud and then she started screaming.
Lagobond
Oct 22, 2020 rated it did not like it
I liked the first book in this series, but I'm not feeling this one. It feels too grown-up, too snarky, too hostile, too jaded.*

Too bad!

* Even the illustrations are all grumpy and depressing.
Mallory Lucas
Nov 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chapter-books
This was a fun book with unusual characters and vocabulary. The word choice is different than most books but it is still doable for a young reader. I really enjoyed this book.
Katie Fitzgerald
This sequel to The Trouble with Chickens introduces Diamond Lil, a new dog in the neighborhood who claims to be living next door to JJ Tully’s owner Barb. When she offers to help him keep watch over Moosh and her chicks overnight, however, JJ realizes he might be putting his trust in a shady character.

The Trouble with Chickens was one of my favorite chapter books of 2011, and I don’t think this second one lives up to it. How could it? The first book established the entire fictional world of the
Amanda Harris
Jan 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
J.J., a retired search and rescue dog, has one job and one job only...that's to maintain law and order in the seedy world of the chicken coop! (He especially keeps an eye on those little chicks!)
The mystery begins when a shady possum starts to show up around the coop and J.J. fears the chicks are in serious danger. While the mystery continues, Lillian (Diamond Lil), a beautiful dog with an equally beautiful southern accent, moves in next door and offers to help. J.J. starts informing Lil about
Darlene

Book 26 Bibliographic Citation:
Cronin, D. (2012). The legend of Diamond Lil: A J. J. Tully mystery. New York, NY: Balzer + Bray.

Age/Grade Level: (Ages 7–11, Grades 2–5)

Summary:
Guard dog J.J. Tully takes his job seriously, and when a stranger shows up, he investigates. He’s got other problems, though; a ‘possum loose, and she’s in Cahoots with the stranger to get inside the chicken coop. Fortunately, the stranger turns out to be a friend to all and helps the ‘possum rescue her baby from the coop,
Dolly
Dec 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: children starting to read longer chapter books
Shelves: 2013, childrens, pets, mystery
This is the second book in the J.J. Tully Mystery series by Doreen Cronin and Kevin Cornell. We read the first story, The Trouble With Chickens, just over a year ago and we were excited to see a new story.

We are introduced to a femme fatale in this story and the characters first story return for an engaging and humorous hard-boiled detective tale. Vince the funnel is just as disagreeable as ever, but he isn't the bad guy in this story. Overall, I liked this book even better than the first book.
Michele Knott
I read the first book in this series when it was at our Spring Book Fair. This is the second book in the series and it continues the story of JJ, the retired search and rescue dog whose current job is watching over "Moosh" and her flock of chicks. This time JJ has to deal with a possum that is trying to get to the chicks and a mysterious new neighbor.
I love the sarcasm that JJ uses and I think young readers will be laughing out loud at the amusing things he says. For example, one of my favorite
Lynda Shoup
Somehow I missed that Doreen Cronin, famous for her picture books including Click Clack Moo: Cows that Type, had written a chapter book. In fact, this book is the second in a mystery series. You bet I'll go back and read the first one.

The book is perfect for the newly reading crowd who have progressed beyond Henry and Mudge and need something with more challenge, but not more than they can handle. This book has the larger print, enough white space on a page and engaging illustrations to make it
Dharia Scarab
Jun 29, 2015 rated it liked it

Myself, I go ou
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Unicorn on a Roll (Phoebe and Her Unicorn, #2)
  • Unicorn vs. Goblins (Phoebe and Her Unicorn, #3)
  • Unicorn Crossing (Phoebe and Her Unicorn, #5)
  • Mercy Watson to the Rescue
  • Ramona Forever (Ramona, #7)
  • Ramona's World (Ramona Quimby, #8)
  • Ramona and Her Mother (Ramona Quimby, #5)
  • Ramona and Her Father (Ramona, #4)
  • Little Red Rodent Hood (Hamster Princess #6)
  • Because
  • The Return of Zita the Spacegirl (Zita the Spacegirl, #3)
  • Lily's Crossing
  • Razzle Dazzle Unicorn (Phoebe and Her Unicorn, #4)
  • So Far from the Bamboo Grove
  • Ramona Quimby, Age 8 (Ramona, #6)
  • The People Could Fly: The Picture Book
  • Genevieve's War
  • Saturday
Doreen Cronin was a practicing attorney in Manhattan when her first book Click, Clack Moo: Cows That Type became a publishing success. But her book was not published overnight. In fact, she had written this barnyard tale even before attending law school but only received rejection letters from publishers. Five years after submitting the original manuscript she got a call from a publisher who wante ...more

J.J. Tully Mystery (2 books)
  • The Trouble With Chickens (J.J. Tully Mystery #1)